As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Every time I open a fourth edition book, I just can't get past it looking like it wants to be tabletop World of Warcraft

right down to having designated tanks and dps and healers and crap

Those roles existed before in previous editions, only there was a lot of ambiguity. Now it's a clear-cut "This class excels at this role, if you like doing X, Y, and Z, pick this class." I think that's very helpful to newcomers.

The roles existed, but the roles didn't define the characters. People picked wizard to have a character that was literate and wore a pointy hat, not to be dps.

They even gave abilities cooldowns. Soon WotC will release "Book of 25-man Raids." There will be monsters that have a 0.1% chance to drop a Vorpal Longsword, and can only be encountered once in a month of playsessions.
    Well uh

Wizards aren't Strikers, first off.

And second, the roles don't define the characters. They are the basic thing that the class can excel at easily, but with the multiple build options presented in the Player's Guides and _____ Power supplements each class can do a variety of tasks.

and finally, you are so dumb

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    cooper stop being a stupid faggot

Orikaeshigitae on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Great. Now my brain is bleeding.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have no iddue with roles myself, I was making a fool's move. Infact i like that in one article they go and high light what each class can easily second in. And in PHB2 says right up front: Hey sorcerers are strikers, but they can also be controllers, cool huh? I was foolishly playing devil's advocate, I'm going to stop now leaving it at, Swordmage as a defender controller kicks ass.

Melding on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Man ain't nothin wrong with the FR.

There are a few things but the biggest complaint I've heard around is that it makes the players feel irrelevant.

that is entirely the fault of their DM, not the setting

Shorty on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man ain't nothin wrong with the FR.

But I hates it.

Have you read up on the changes made for 4e?

The only thing I miss are some of the more obscure deities, but since I'm, you know, the Master of My Own Universe, I just add them back in as exarchs and avatars and whatnot.
    They kept Red Knight, which I was absurdly happy about. Best deity no one has heard of ever.

I was so very sad to discover that Helm was dead

loved that guy

all keepin' an eye on the outer planes during the Time of Troubles

Shorty on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Blankspace wrote: »
    And second, the roles don't define the characters. They are the basic thing that the class can excel at easily, but with the multiple build options presented in the Player's Guides and _____ Power supplements each class can do a variety of tasks.

So

talent trees

Agent Cooper on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh good, a real "Dnd more like WnW" idiot showed up, I can go back to being indifferent.

Melding on
    edited July 2009

So

talent trees
    Yes

like a thing that allows characters to specialize in different things that WoW also happens to utilize

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

So

talent trees

Yes because everything ever has to have come from WoW.

Even though wow got the idea for talents from feats in D&D.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys stop listening to Cooper being a fag and start talking about how fun Wushu is

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Guys stop listening to Cooper being a fag and start talking about how fun Wushu is

Washu was the smart girl from tenchi?

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RE: Forgotten Realms - 4e pretty much wiped away all of the previous issues with 'Oh well if this bad shit is going down why doesn't Elminster or Kelban Blackstaff take care of it?'

In the current timeline one hundred years have passed since an incredible magical cataclysm occurred with the death of the Goddess of Magic, Mystra. The cosmos was thrown into chaos as the framework of magic that fundamentally flowed through the universe unraveled and burned. Gods died or disappeared, entire planes merged or were wiped out, and portions of Abeir (Toril's sister-world) returned to the Material Plane. Elminster is a powerless old wretch who mourns the loss of His Lady of Magic, Thay has become a nation of Undead led by the sinister Szass Tam. In the remains of the Moonseas a terrifying coalition of beings from the Far Realm known as the Abolithic Sovereignty has risen within an enormous floating earthmote, and whole undiscovered locales in the Underdark have been opened.

Abracadaniel on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Every time I open a fourth edition book, I just can't get past it looking like it wants to be tabletop World of Warcraft

right down to having designated tanks and dps and healers and crap

Those roles existed before in previous editions, only there was a lot of ambiguity. Now it's a clear-cut "This class excels at this role, if you like doing X, Y, and Z, pick this class." I think that's very helpful to newcomers.

The roles existed, but the roles didn't define the characters. People picked wizard to have a character that was literate and wore a pointy hat, not to be dps.

They even gave abilities cooldowns. Soon WotC will release "Book of 25-man Raids." There will be monsters that have a 0.1% chance to drop a Vorpal Longsword, and can only be encountered once in a month of playsessions.

Ok cooper look, there are good arguments to be made along this avenue, but this ain't it. you are basically embarrassing yourself here

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My character mumbles all the time so nobody actually knows his name, not to mention his filth is so strong that he can actually avoid being burned because of the pervasive funk around his body

Rachel's character is a radioactive electric violinist named Nagi Hiroshima who is a bit of a dominatrix

And Dubh's character is named Gizzy Moonrock and is basically an even more androgynous David Bowie

Sounds to me like y'all need a mad scientist thereminstrel

Straightzi on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So

talent trees
    hahaha no

you're funny, because you don't seem to understand 4e or WoW

Cilla Black on
    edited July 2009
    I just didn't like the tone scale or really anything about FR.

Especially Drow.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wushu

gesundheit

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll have the wushu pork.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited July 2009
    There is a picture of a party fighting a Warforged Titan in the ECG that may be the most badass piece of 4e art I have seen

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bel, d&d 4th is hands down the funnest incarnation of d&d i've played

yeah it is looking that way so far, i liked 3, and have fond memories from 3.5, but this one looks like i will be doing more killing stuff and less "god dammit let me go look that up again"

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2009
    Belruel wrote: »

yeah it is looking that way so far, i liked 3, and have fond memories from 3.5, but this one looks like i will be doing more killing stuff and less "god dammit let me go look that up again"

You aren't roleplaying if you aren't looking up arcane skill check rules for seduction every session.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited July 2009

yes, exactly

particularly if you're the dm (which i am)

hell, i don't even really know the rules, i depend on melding for that

Orikaeshigitae on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009

Especially Drow.
    well to be fair, though

fuck drow

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RE: Forgotten Realms - 4e pretty much wiped away all of the previous issues with 'Oh well if this bad shit is going down why doesn't Elminster or Kelban Blackstaff take care of it?'

In the current timeline one hundred years have passed since an incredible magical cataclysm occurred with the death of the Goddess of Magic, Mystra. The cosmos was thrown into chaos as the framework of magic that fundamentally flowed through the universe unraveled and burned. Gods died or disappeared, entire planes merged or were wiped out, and portions of Abeir (Toril's sister-world) returned to the Material Plane. Elminster is a powerless old wretch who mourns the loss of His Lady of Magic, Thay has become a nation of Undead led by the sinister Szass Tam. In the remains of the Moonseas a terrifying coalition of beings from the Far Realm known as the Abolithic Sovereignty has risen within an enormous floating earthmote, and whole undiscovered locales in the Underdark have been opened.
    The whole Elminster thing seemed kind of unnecessary. He was the most direct source of attack from the people who hated FR because of how powerful he'd been designed, and that seems to be the only reason they changed him. He was actually a pretty cool character that was presented as ultimately being only human far more often than a rulegod.

Cilla Black on
    edited July 2009

Especially Drow.
    well to be fair, though

fuck drow
    Man

Eberron Drow are actually kinda neat

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2009
    But how will I run a campaign based on the swirling politics and rumors of the kal'Spangian antiquities market?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited July 2009
    I really dislike Elminster on a personal level for starting the Harpers

meddling pieces of shit

Shorty on
    edited July 2009
    But how will I run a campaign based on the swirling politics and rumors of the kal'Spangian antiquities market?

man, now i want to do this

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2009

Especially Drow.
    well to be fair, though

fuck drow

there isn't anything inherently wrong with drow, man

they get a bad rap because the people who play them are so frequently lame

Shorty on
    edited July 2009
    D&D 2E onward - Meet a kindly old man? Elminster in disguise.

Dashing rogue helps your party? Drizzt in disguise.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited July 2009

again

this is not the fault of the setting

it is the fault of the DM

Shorty on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    the problem I have with forgotten realms is that every name I hear come out of there is fucking awful

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    Shorty wrote: »

Especially Drow.
    well to be fair, though

fuck drow

20060422-Elf_Fantasy_Fair-costumes-18-drow.jpg

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited July 2009

again

this is not the fault of the setting

it is the fault of the DM

Yeah, I actually never had that problem. I just like generalizing. I understand the novels and such were basically that though.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited July 2009

You aren't roleplaying if you aren't looking up arcane skill check rules for seduction every session.

i am going to be playing a buff grizzled-ish longtooth shifter. i'll leave the seduction up to the female rogue that is going to be joining us soon

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2009
    I dunno man, FR just seems like.

OVERLOADED

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited July 2009

Especially Drow.
    well to be fair, though

fuck drow

yeah, drow can be neat, but so many dudes want to play a drizzt duder that things got bad

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2009
    FR is perfectly fine as a generic fantasy-y setting

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
This discussion has been closed.