As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tattoo and sweatband

AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just got my first tattoo on my wrist yesterday and it's all good :^:

I've been reading how I should keep it out of the sun and this all makes sense as does not putting any sunscreen on it before it's healed. Problem is if I'm out and about in a t-shirt or want to go for a run, can I put a sweatband over it to stop it getting too much sun or will this cause problems?

I'm guessing I'm limiting myself to longsleeves for the next few weeks and otherwise just staying in the shade if it's sunny?

steam_sig.png
I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
Adda on

• ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    you aren't going to want to put something tight on it like a sweatband while it's still healing. Or at least, I didn't, but my tattoo's always felt like bad sun burns for the first couple of days

ihmmy on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Who said that you shouldn't put sunscreen on your tattoo? I put sunscreen on mine (which I got about two months ago) and had no problems.

And seconding not putting a wristband on it. It'll hurt like a bugger and there is the possibility of the wristband rubbing off scar tissue, which will make the tattoo like like hell.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Code39Code39 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd say just throw some paper towel over it and saran wrap it to hold the paper towel in place (plus a piece of tape, I suppose!). I wouldn't put sunscreen over an open sore, personally. Wait until it starts drying up before putting anything on it!

Code39 on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Who said that you shouldn't put sunscreen on your tattoo? I put sunscreen on mine (which I got about two months ago) and had no problems.

And seconding not putting a wristband on it. It'll hurt like a bugger and there is the possibility of the wristband rubbing off scar tissue, which will make the tattoo like like hell.

Sunscreen while it's healing. Bad idea. Sunscreen when it's set. GREAT idea.

And yes, as someone who has full sleeves, back, chest, and neck tattoos, you do not want something chafing against it while it's healing. Just don't spend prolonged periods in the sun while it's healing. This is why I never get tattooed during the Summer.

Esh on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the advice guys, is pretty much what I thought so I will resign myself to less outdoorsy stuff for the time being.

Tattoo in the winter next time methinks.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Once mine are healed I usually start putting SPF 70 on them when I'm going to be outside.

They do actually make tattoo specific sunscreen for people who out in the sun/tanning. I'd ask your tattoo artist and see what he/she recommends.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate: