As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do you do in a VAST UNIVERSE? Blow stuff up! Browser game invasion!

• ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Well, except for Area, which is only used when you first make a building, but not when you level it up.

This is a nugget worth knowing. I've been trying to figure out (in vain) why my area never seems to be an issue.

I get that the game is under development, but I wish you actually had to commit to directions when it came to research and technology. My problem with the VU in its current state is that it has the same pitfall as others: as you get further into it each structure you queue up takes such an absurdly long time to build that it discourages you from being more active. Yes, you have smaller colonies to expand, but that's playing the same game: leveling them up until they become a bore.

Certainly terrorizing people with warships can be fun, but I wonder if there's any way one can design a game like this without the massive time constraint and keep it fun/balanced.

Paradiso on
  • BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I used to play Hyperiums, which had a pretty good balance between waiting around and actually doing stuff. It didn't have much of a tech tree, though.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TU'DIX now has a scholarly university!

We are learning BIOLOGY all up ins.

Mostly still just bumbling along and unlocking things. Anything specific good to aim for past the Univ?

fadingathedges on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mostly still just bumbling along and unlocking things. Anything specific good to aim for past the Univ?

You pretty much want to make everything. So look at the Requirements tab, and check out the Structures and Technologies. They are basically listed in "order", so you can just make your way down through them.

And you want to get your Mine, Farm and Powerplant up to like at least 5. Probably a good idea to get World Bank up to 2 or 3.

If you want to join one of the PA Federations, get your Command Center up to lvl2, then build an Embassy.

And I just raided my first inactive, woo. Stole some resources, great times. Didn't even lose a ship. It was only a little 29 pop Colony though.
    Really? Then what's the point?

Well, if you take all a guy's resources, he's sort of dead in the water. If he's got other colonies (with a Spaceport), he can bring stuff in though.
    They need to add some way to Blockade colonies, so that can't happen.

And being able to destroy player colonies would basically let big Feds wreck other Feds. The dev would have to extend Newbie Protection, or maybe even add a "friendly" NPC race that protects little guys from big guys.

But yeah, at the moment there's not exactly a lot of depth to the game. The dev just added the Ratoidz last month, right? So it's a work in progress :) .

Selner on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My next colony will cost more than all the resources I have in all my colonies currently, combined. Times two.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Six wrote: »
    My next colony will cost more than all the resources I have in all my colonies currently, combined. Times two.

And the next one will be double that.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Slowly I climb the federation ranking.... Slowly but surely...

1932 Domhnall - 10 - 1061
    1552 Dyvion - 10 - 1061

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited July 2009
    Dyvion wrote: »

And the next one will be double that.

No kidding :) I'm hoping to get it either tomorrow or the day after. Don't even want to think about 32 million for the 17th colony.

Six on
    edited July 2009
    TU'DIX has built an Embassy, how to join WANG? My game name is fadubgathedges because it was dark in here and I didn't care when I caught it.

fadingathedges on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I believe they need your ID number to invite you. And the main account page, I think.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just the ID number is needed, usually. I've figured out how to track down people through the game rankings, however, so I can send out invites based on name alone. You've got an invite now, by the way.

Skulkraken on
    edited July 2009
    You can also do player searches in the mailbox.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, accepted.

How do I know when I should start making ships? So far I can build probes and satellites with not much in the way of modules. It looks like there are some decent planets at my star, any reason I shouldn't be taking them? Can I colonize with just probes/satellites?

fadingathedges on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, accepted.

How do I know when I should start making ships? So far I can build probes and satellites with not much in the way of modules. It looks like there are some decent planets at my star, any reason I shouldn't be taking them? Can I colonize with just probes/satellites?

Sure can! Just whip up a satellite design that has a life support module, a colonization module, and an engine. With that, you just build them, send them out, and set up shop.

It'll also cost you resources when you start the colony (paid by the colony that owned the colonizing spaceship's 'fleet'), and that cost is more expensive for each new colony you make, so keep that in mind as you expand.

Dizzen on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I still have no idea if the recycle and cargo bays of my satellites are actually doing anything...

Sheep on
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, accepted.

Sure can! Just whip up a satellite design that has a life support module, a colonization module, and an engine. With that, you just build them, send them out, and set up shop.

It'll also cost you resources when you start the colony (paid by the colony that owned the colonizing spaceship's 'fleet'), and that cost is more expensive for each new colony you make, so keep that in mind as you expand.

Cool, thanks.

Is this unwise for me to do before any certain point?

fadingathedges on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, accepted.

Cool, thanks.

Is this unwise for me to do before any certain point?

Nah, as long as you can afford it, you're golden. In fact, some have suggested that the sooner you start colonizing, the better, due to the diminishing returns on the upgrades for resource generating buildings.

Just make sure you're happy with the resource stats of your planets before you set down; once you make a colony, you're stuck with it.

Dizzen on
    edited July 2009
    ThankThere are 3 vacant planets at my star with pretty decent numbers, I think I'll grab one now and at least one soon-ish...

How do I load my ship with mans and send it away? I can't see any button for this at the target location nor in the fleet. What am I missing?

edit~ I was missing the button labeled COLONIZE. Found it! ;o

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    I still have no idea if the recycle and cargo bays of my satellites are actually doing anything...

It takes a while for recyclers to work their magic on derb piles. If you only have a few recyclers sitting over the debris, it might take a day or so for all of it to be collected into the cargo holds. Keep an eye on how filled your cargo ships are, since the recyclers will stop collecting if there's no more room.

Skulkraken on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    How do I empty them?

Sheep on
    edited July 2009
    Move to colony, move away from colony. Derbs are automagically deposited into your account, for your convenience!

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
    edited July 2009
    Colony #16 up.

Not sure what I'm doing now :)

And for those keeping track at home, my next colony will require more than 3x all the current combined resources of my entire empire.

Six on
    edited July 2009
    I think it's time for you to build a shitload of plasma sats and go attack random colonies that may or may not belong to people in powerful feds.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
    edited July 2009
    Braincow wrote: »
    I think it's time for you to build a shitload of plasma sats and go attack random colonies that may or may not belong to people in powerful feds.

I'm starting to stock up on plasma sats. Also defense sats.

I've got a bunch of cargo ships because I needed them to ferry resources for my last couple of colonies, and I'm building a few recyclers, though I question whether that's even worthwhile.

What I really don't know is how much of a fleet I really need to do some damage, how defense I should really leave behind, and what you all will do if I manage to really piss someone off :)

I've started to really hit the wall in regards to how much I can get my colonies producing.

Six on
    edited July 2009
    To be honest, I'm getting pretty tired of this game. I wouldn't mind a war.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Careful though, plasma sats tend to get killed easy if they don't have some armour.

DanHibiki on
    edited July 2009
    That's the point, though, right? Cheap and disposable.

Six on
    edited July 2009
    That's the point, though, right? Cheap and disposable.
    it doesn't pay off when raiding though. Better to invest in something that can survive a bit of damage.

DanHibiki on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You could mix the plasma sats with armor plated satellites, depending on how the combat works, that might help.

Zandracon on
    edited July 2009
    Who cares? They cost like 7k resources each, and 5 to 10 of them can ravage 10x their cost in ships. They're the perfect kamikaze weapon. You send in the shiny battleships afterwards to mop up and steal resources.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    To be honest, I'm getting pretty tired of this game. I wouldn't mind a war.

I was gonna start building up some battleships as soon as I finished getting plasma shards (I have everything else for them) and go on a galaxy-wide rampage. Not after resources or anything. Just blowing up shit.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    I second the motion to start trying to wage war on other federations. The universe shall tremble in fear at the sight of our mighty WANGs! ...Either that, or giggle uncontrollably.

Skulkraken on
    edited July 2009
    I think that's an appropriate war cry.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
    edited July 2009
    Ok... who do we aim our blind hatred at?

http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/federation/index/41.hum ?

kinda small...

[strike]http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/federation/index/45.hum[/strike]

^ these guys have actually been nice to me, so I'm not inclined to repay that with their destruction.

GOON and NOOG are too big

http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/federation/index/48.hum
    actualy I think our genital brothers PEINS are already at war with them...

DanHibiki on
    edited July 2009
    We should probably take this discussion to the internal game board. :P

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Finally kinda sorta getting the hang of this game. About to expand to my fifth and sixth colonies, just as soon as my colonizing shuttles get there.

How are you all colonizing with probes and satellites? They only have two module slots, and by my count you need three (colonizer, life support, engines) to actually colonize with them. I've been using the shuttle hull because it's the cheapest available with enough slots. But I could've easily missed something.

Anyway, still a bit slow on gaining new tech. I need to remember to upgrade my universities once in a while.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited July 2009
    Satellites have four slots.

Six on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Satellites have four slots.

Fffffffffffffffffffff-!

I see that now.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited July 2009
    We should probably take this discussion to the internal game board. :P

riiiight... Mum's the word

I just bomed a ratoidz and got this:
    Colony structure Habitat
    destroyed during planetary bombardment !

what the hell more do I need to do to kill a rat planet?

DanHibiki on
    edited July 2009
    You need to keep bombing them until all the structures are destroyed or pop goes down to 0, I think.

http://forum.humugus.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=804

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png