As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

On the Rain-Slick Precipice

TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta GhostbusterAtlanta, GARegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Social Entropy++
So I ran into some info on the Penny-Arcade game coming out soon, that I'm pretty excited about. The full article can be found here
Holkins was in town with Joel DeYoung, chief operating officer of Hothead Games, to discuss their collaboration on the upcoming episodic role-playing adventure game "Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness." We talked about the game and other GDC matters while gawkers gathered and a guy who calls himself the Game Jew and wears Mario overalls conducted an interview behind us. We were in the heart of ... something.

Holkins and his site partner, Mike "Gabe" Krahulik, have always been frank about what they don't like about new games. That played a role in MTV News dubbing them two of the 10 most influential gamers of all time (see "Playa Rater: The 10 Most Influential Video Gamers Of All Time"). So I was certain Holkins had a ready-made list of pitfalls he wanted his first video game to avoid. Well, not quite. "If you're asking me whether or not I hope we make a good game, then yes, we are trying our best to make a game that is not annoying, that is not a pain in the ass, that can be played through in a reasonable time and is enjoyable from the beginning to the end," he said.

I suggested that most developers had similar goals. He replied, laughing: "I would be surprised if that were the case."

Holkins and DeYoung wouldn't say much about the game. They promised a trailer will be released this week. Holkins mentioned the game wouldn't have random battles from unseen enemies, an old RPG staple many think is passé. And Holkins promised the game wouldn't be for the kids. "We expect to earn our M-rating very handily with that one."

So that's the most I've heard about this game besides the poster art and a few tidbits here and there. Apparently we have a trailer coming to us soon, which is excellent. I don't know about you but this steampunk style and a guarantee that classic PA humor will permeate has made this an almost-certain purchase for me.

TankHammer on

• AirAir Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who cares?
    I don't care
    A horse's ass is better than yours

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited March 2007
    oh hang one maybe that interesting i dont know im so tired

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "10 most influencial gamers". Jesus. Influencial to what... convince people to play more games?

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2007
    whole thing seems like bad idea

cos its 2 dudes sitting around playing video game and then someitmes featuring game developers
    that doesnt make a game

unless the game is every other game in one and there is like a crappy overlay to make it seem like it is their perspective
    then theres a couple of animations where they will say 'i want to play half life 2 now' and then you just start playing half life 2

its abig merchandising step and it could ruin them
    gankruptcy city
    well if its not good it wont reflect well
    maybe the disc is scratched

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Air, I get the feeling that you know nothing about this game or it's premise and should probably look into it before making these kind of judgements.

TankHammer on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bent wrote: »
    "10 most influencial gamers". Jesus. Influencial to what... convince people to play more games?

If gabe mentions a game, you bet your ass a bunch of people are gonna buy it purely on his recommendation.

SniperGuy on
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can quite safely say I know nothing about this game and I think you should tell me about it so I don't have to go looking for information.

edit: I was making fun of how they still have no real impact on society directly through gaming aside from their charity (and then this only applies to the PA guys of course), which is subsequently the manipulation of the demographic more than just gaming = charity. Basically I dislike people making 'gaming' seem like an important thing, or represent anything other than what it is. Games. Although I suppose in an article about games from a game orientated website any point made is well... stupid.
    ignore me

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2007
    A few days ago:
    Gabe wrote:
    We’re calling the game an RPG/adventure. We’ve created a new universe for the characters, similar to the CTS stuff. You’ll see a lot of familiar faces in the game but all in the context of this 1920’s sort of steam punk/lovecraft world called New Arcadia. Tycho’s doing more interviews today at GDC so you should see more information about the game appearing on various news sites. I think he said he talked to MTV this morning and he sat down with 1Up yesterday.

Here's some art:
    rspd_small.jpg

TankHammer on
    edited March 2007
    yea i dont know anythin about the game so im not judging it

im saying that they need to make this game very good because of their role in the industry

it wouldnt be good if after years of commenting on videogames they came up with something comparable to a typical crappy film licensed churned out merchandise videogame

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aww, I love random battles :(

FFXII is just a grindfest

Strato on
  • ThaoxThaox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As long as Div is in the game, it will be good.

Thaox on
    edited March 2007
    I'm imagining that this will have more in common with Sam & Max Hit the Road than a Final Fantasy game. I hope it's in 2-D and is heavy on the narrative.

TankHammer on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sweet. Although the 'episodic' shit is making me think they sold out to Valve (olol), I'll let it go for now as long as the first installment is fun.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope this comes out with some sort of super-slick boxed edition with all kinds of goodies.

Weaver on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jesus should be the final summon

Meissnerd on
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited March 2007
    We are trying really hard to make it a good game. It's really just a new way for us to tell a story. We could have gone and done an animated series but we chose to do this instead. It just made more sense to us.

Gabriel on
    edited March 2007
    Gabriel wrote: »
    We are trying really hard to make it a good game. It's really just a new way for us to tell a story. We could have gone and done an animated series but we chose to do this instead. It just made more sense to us.

We have so many boners for this game.

Weaver on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys seriously I think my idea is great

Make a commitee and discuss it

Meissnerd on
  • Mo1sonMo1son Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I believe in you Gabe. Looking forward to the trailer.

Mo1son on
    edited March 2007
    Going off of CTS and the poster art I'm thinking gabe will be more of a melee character.

Weaver on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am picturing Full Throttle (or any other old LucasArts games) mixed with a hint of Arcanum, with the Penny Arcade art style and humor. Oh god, let this be true.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • HitScanHitScan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    I hope this comes out with some sort of super-slick boxed edition with all kinds of goodies.

My wallet quakes, for it is gripped with the fear. I shan't miss it when it is spent, for it is weak.

HitScan on
    Unstable like the isotope that resolves the fate of the theoretical cat in the hypothetical crate.
    Yo momma so fat she got triabetes
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope they just plaster their new art over FF: Tactics.

I want to play that game again, it's fun.

Hunter on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh.

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited March 2007

On the off-chance that you're keeping an eye on this thread, what's the reason behind the episodic release? I thought you guys had been against episodic content since HL2 pulled that stunt a while back.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited March 2007

Gabe commented in my thread. So many boners right now.
    /target dudefella
    /salute

Also, good thinking not doing an animated series. I saw the preview of Kurtz's PvP animated toon and I was not impressed.

TankHammer on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Voices.

thats the only thing that hes me just a slightly worried. Will it be voiced, and if so, will the voices shatter my finely built up sense of Gabe and Tycho.

Or am I being overly sensitive like some big pansy.

Also, please God let Frank cameo.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    You’ll see a lot of familiar faces in the game but all in the context of this 1920’s sort of steam punk/lovecraft world called New Arcadia.

I'm not a big fan of those styles, but as long as it's funny I think I'll enjoy it.

But like, funny funny. Not cheesy funny.

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2007
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Voices.

thats the only thing that hes me just a slightly worried. Will it be voiced, and if so, will the voices shatter my finely built up sense of Gabe and Tycho.

Or am I being overly sensitive like some big pansy.

Also, please God let Frank cameo.

Fuck yeah.

A first person shooter portion with Frank and Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood would be fuck awesome.

Hunter on
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited March 2007
    there are no voices. We are using text bubbles like an old school RPG.

The game is in 3D and is an RPG/adventure. We're not going for next gen graphics here, but it will look cool I think.

Gabriel on
    edited March 2007

The game is in 3D and is an RPG/adventure. We're not going for next gen graphics here, but it will look cool I think.

Sort of like Omikron: The Nomad Soul, as far as how you actually explore the world?

Weaver on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ala Baldur's Gate stylings?

Control a party of Gabe, Tycho, Div, Annarchy.

Oh....god.

DrZiplock on
    edited March 2007

I....

I think I love you.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited March 2007

I....

I think I love you.

So what are you so afraid of

Hunter on
    edited March 2007
    Hunter wrote: »

I....

I think I love you.

I've been hurt before.

I'm scared to love again.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007

I....

I think I love you.

He's not sure, for there's no cure

Garlic Bread on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I....

I think I love you.

I'm afraid that I'm not sure of - a love love there is no cure for.

DrZiplock on
    edited March 2007
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Oh....god.

That would be the gayest shit. I'd rather control the more ridiculous characters than two characters who sit around playing video games. CTS etc. would be better.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Oh....god.

That would be the gayest shit. I'd rather control the more ridiculous characters than two characters who sit around playing video games. CTS etc. would be better.

you just like CTS because you're a weeaboo

I would much prefer Twisp and Catsby

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2007
    I wonder how many references to old comics there'll be?

Such as:
    The middle panel
    20060104h.jpg

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg