As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sketch of my D&D character

BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKSRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Artist's Corner
So this morning i decided to give a go at sketching out my Dungeons and dragons character, Gibbous Canadine, Shaman Shifter.

shifters are a race that have animalistic attributes, and i had some trouble drawing her nose to show that, and eventually settled on this. any help on stuff before i develop it further would be loved

Gibbous_Shifter_Shaman.jpg

vmn6rftb232b.png
Belruel on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    more hair, for one thing

yeah yeah, hairy chicks might be as "sexy" but shifters are, generally speaking, hairy as fuck, even the womens. the arms could use a bit of that

the eyes and nose could be a little more animal and feral looking

shifters aren't like, anthropomorphic animals or something, but they are descended of werecreatures and basically look like beast people

depending on what kind of shifter she is (longtooth, razorclaw, etc) you might want to emphasize those features a bit

so, i'd say a thicker brow, flatter nose, more arm hair, maybe make the appearance of the eyes closer to a wolf's, that sort of thing.

hook the nails a little so they look a little more like claws instead of just long nails

Pony on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    she has sleeves that go all the way to her wrist, it's kind of not obvious here though

i'll mess with the nose a bit more, mess with her nails, and tweak the brows to make her more feral, thanks pony :D

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    she has sleeves that go all the way to her wrist, it's kind of not obvious here though

i'll mess with the nose a bit more, mess with her nails, and tweak the brows to make her more feral, thanks pony :D

add hair on the back of her hands, then, that go up to about her knuckles

like a little patch on the back there, sticking out from the sleeves

a big thing to give her a primitive and more feral appearance is to make her brow wider than her cheekbones

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    an update:

shaman2.png

really appreciate the help you're giving me on shifter characteristics pony

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    now you're talkin!

consider perhaps bushying the eyebrows a bit. in a lot of the official art, Shifters got eyebrows like crazy going on (in addition to a big ole thick brow on their head in the first place). Maybe have em even stick out from her head just a little

i'd add a bit more hair on the back of the hands there. shifter hair is so thick in places that it borders on outright being fur, so there's that

Pony on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well you sure got a lot better than the last time you posted here Bel

Uh, Lessee,

1. Make the feet bigger. Can she have bare bear feet? That'd make her look more feral at least.

2. Her left leg is shorter than her right.

Other than that, it just needs refinement, I think.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    thanks tam :D

i'm going to try something completely new with this one, digital painting with no lineart.

i am leaping into the unknown and it is likely to be hilarious, but it's something i really want to learn

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You're going to trip and plunge to your death

good luck

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    oh gosh. i completely erased her face and have been trying to just place it using blocks of color

shaman3.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Her nose seems.... phallic to me. Also I see your light but it doesn't look like you are getting much of the resulting shadows. This may not be exactly what your going for, but a pictureLike this one might help guide you there.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yeah the nose is giving me trouble because it's supposed to be like a wolf/person/cat/animal nose thing. it totally looks like a penis right now though, you're spot on hahaha

thanks for the lighting reference :D

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Great start, keep going!

Try and think of painting like sculpting you should be building up to those highlights. Also try not to get caught on one part for too long. Try and keep the piece evenly finished throughout. Trust me your run into less problems in the long run.

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson