As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2009: There and Back Again

• Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I suppose she could ride with the New Hampshire van in that case (would have to ask VT for confirmation though), but she'd have to make her way up to at least Boston or Fultonville, NY.

We may have 5 in the New Hampshire crew now, and renting something larger for the trip. I'm still waiting on VT's confirmation.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    Well, at least somebody's numbers are going up. We just lost two vehicles and one is still out of contact.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OK! I'm joining up for funzies! XD
    Group Name: Batloft
    Group Leader(s): Eye-shuh
    Vehicle: Bruce (or Brucie), 1987 Nissan Sentra, I have no idea what the MPG is...20ish? Oh! The internet tells me it's 27.
    Max. Desired People: 4
    Starting Location: Seattle, WA (PAX)
    First Waypoint: Ellensburg, WA
    Driving?: Yes
    E-Mail: felixlives at gmail dot com
    Cell: 206-465-7742
    Unconfirmed Riders: UM...maybe Dee if I can convince him?
    Space Available: 2-3

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    I suppose she could ride with the New Hampshire van in that case (would have to ask VT for confirmation though), but she'd have to make her way up to at least Boston or Fultonville, NY.

We may have 5 in the New Hampshire crew now, and renting something larger for the trip. I'm still waiting on VT's confirmation.

Aye, I thought we were going to have 5, but it looks like all of my friends but one have officially chickened out. =( So that makes 4 of us so far. We could bring her along if she had some way to get to the route (New Jersey is kind of a big detour from the route if I'm not mistaken, and might require us going through New York which could be... rough) Also, she'd have to be willing to put up with four guys who probably won't have showered for the duration of this trip (I don't see any opportunity for such a thing to take place given the time schedule of the CCST, which is probably the most daunting part of the adventure to me. D::lol:)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah Jersey would be a HUGE detour for you guys. Also, there are showers at the various truck stops we stop at, but timing and how long the wait is would be dependent on if you can get into on and out in time to leave.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This may have been answered before, but I couldn't see it; what does the CCST do in terms of speed limits? Obviously I don't think we're blazing 15 over, but here in Chicago 5-10 over is pretty much what everyone drives and I was wondering if that's a national thing or if we're all just crazy here.

On the other hand, I think the speed limit in this state is one of the slowest in the country.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Haha, five over is the standard except in areas where they're extra strict. Also we try to follow the flow of traffic, which is difficult sometimes because we tend to be traffic.

Also, if anybody is capable of broadcasting a GPS location to the internet, please let me know, I'd like to have some sort of live-ish updates on our progress for people to follow other than sporadic tweets and posts from the road.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, if anybody is capable of broadcasting a GPS location to the internet, please let me know, I'd like to have some sort of live-ish updates on our progress for people to follow other than sporadic tweets and posts from the road.

The iPhone can perform such magics right? I just got mine so I will need to develop more experience with it.

That reminds me. Moe (and other PA forum dwellers) you should have received my new phone number in the form of a text message. If you would like my new number and you do not have it, please let me know.

Also, my new number must replace the number that you have "on file" for me for CCST purposes.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes I did get that and yes the iPhone can do that. I've seen something used called AudioBoo that uploads a picture, GPS location and audio clip to a page. I know it makes a twitter post, I don't know what other social apps it is capable of interacting with.

I don't know if it can do a straight live stream of location. I know Google Latitude does that, but it's only shared with friends, not publicly, so that wouldn't work for these purposes.

I'm also planning to actually get time lapse footage this year. If anybody else is planning to, let me know and I'll help you get set up. Remember 1 picture per second yields smooth, almost movie-like results.'

Aaah! 41 Days. I'm in daily heart-attack mode!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AudioBoo would work well for that. Most Twitter apps also allow you to upload your location, but it overwrites itself each time.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    brainsmithbrainsmith Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I already informed Moe a few days ago, but I wanted to let everyone know that I will regretfully not be able to make it this year. I really wanted to go, but I have so many uncertain things in my life happening (where we are going to be living, where I'm going to be working, etc), and I'm not sure any of them will be resovled before September, so I think it best to say I'm not going to make it. My wife and i will try to make it to Dragoncon this year though, so if anyone will be there, we should hook up. Also, we are going to try to make it to either Pax or Pax East next year when, hopefully, my life and situation is a bit more stable.

brainsmith on
    Get your own tauntaun!
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes I did get that and yes the iPhone can do that. I've seen something used called AudioBoo that uploads a picture, GPS location and audio clip to a page. I know it makes a twitter post, I don't know what other social apps it is capable of interacting with.

Another iPhone app, Loopt, will do a live GPS stream. On the 4th of July, my friend watched me on Loopt as I drove to his house and it was accurate enough to where he walked out the front door as I pulled in the driveway. :)

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loopt as I'm not very familiar with it (I don't use it much because I dont have many friends :cry:), but a quick glance shows it can be integrated with Facebook, Twitter, and you can pin your GPS coords on a map.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do I need to make with the download moe?

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wonder what my blackberry can do?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Another iPhone app, Loopt, will do a live GPS stream. On the 4th of July, my friend watched me on Loopt as I drove to his house and it was accurate enough to where he walked out the front door as I pulled in the driveway. :)

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loopt as I'm not very familiar with it (I don't use it much because I dont have many friends :cry:), but a quick glance shows it can be integrated with Facebook, Twitter, and you can pin your GPS coords on a map.
    I just got that on my iPhone, and I'm going to convince my other iPhone having friends to get it, too. If it's as accurate as you say it is, that will be amazing to watch for the CCST, WCTT, etc.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    of course, the owners of android handsets (and the other platforms) also have Google Latitude, which, if you set up your location settings to murder the battery, will update in near-real time as well.

Qs23, your blackberry would probably work with Latitude... <_<

Theros on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Haha, five over is the standard except in areas where they're extra strict. Also we try to follow the flow of traffic, which is difficult sometimes because we tend to be traffic.

Last year I found us going at speeds around 90 going through parts of ND, Montana (even 95 occasionally, yay for 85 speed limit) and Washington. Wisconsin and Minnesota was an average around 75 I'd say.

And I am so sad we can't make it this year, but Ann and I are thinking of saying hi at the Wisconsin stopping point since we'll probably have nothing better to do.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That was, uh, unintentional in North Dakota. As for Montana, the speed limit there is 75 and I was asleep, but it was night so we should have not been going 90 in Montana.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    teh1337ninj4teh1337ninj4 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey moe I Think I am convincing a few more people to join, some friends of mine are driving to pax and are interested in joining i will email them your email address

teh1337ninj4 on
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I am back in. There are two car possibilities, but seating cap is the same and mileage is a non issue with both.

Zombie Ninja Land Yacht
    2000 dodge intrepid
    Seats up to four passengers
    Will be carrying extra motor oil and topping up at eburg!

Theros on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    WOOO! I'm riding with Theros!

This weekend I was able to test Bruce on the road the E-burg, and he has at least one required water stop. That means I would not have been able to roll into the convention center with you guys since I would have to pull over and give him a drink on the way back.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey Moe, when's the handbook going to go out?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    As soon as I finish updating it for this year. If there's any important issues you think should go in there, now is the time to bring them up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Veevee wrote: »

Last year I found us going at speeds around 90 going through parts of ND, Montana (even 95 occasionally, yay for 85 speed limit) and Washington. Wisconsin and Minnesota was an average around 75 I'd say.

And I am so sad we can't make it this year, but Ann and I are thinking of saying hi at the Wisconsin stopping point since we'll probably have nothing better to do.

Yeah, that whole speeding thing isn't going to be happening this year if Moe is driving a van bigger then mine.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah that too. Most of that was the fault of the Run Lola Run soundtrack. randomguy didn't even notice the speed until we got a call over the radio to slow down.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    If there's any important issues you think should go in there, now is the time to bring them up.

No making fun of Scions!

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If there's any important issues you think should go in there, now is the time to bring them up.

No making fun of Scions!

You mean the Re-badged Toyotas? Wait... that's Lexus.

You mean Toyota's bargain brand? There we go.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

No making fun of Scions!

Hey i paid a lot of money for my box. It has special wheels and a fancy paint job!

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

No making fun of Scions!

That's why I have one, personally. =) It was only marginally more expensive than the Yaris, which had half the trunk space and no Anti-lock brakes. =) Admittedly, I should've just bought a used car, but this was when I first graduated college and didn't realize that the job I was heading into was an underpaid pit which would take me three more years to work up the courage to escape from. =)

But I digress. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That's right, we have a Scion xA and Scion xB on the CCST now. I've been putting together the handbook this week. Everybody remember to have GMRS/FRS radios with a minimum 5-mile range.

Also, thanks to technology that has become popular over the past year, I think we may have on the road updates this year. Now if we could just get the car-to-car wireless running this could be good.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I've been playing with some GPS tracking stuff and I found a pretty good one called InstaMapper GPS. It's currently on the iPhone and a few other models and I tested it out today. It tracks your coordinates on google maps, along with speed, heading, and altitude. More importantly, it's the only app I've found that you can share with the public. My test ride can be seen here: http://www.instamapper.com/ext?key=825918144740010368

There are a few downsides I found, almost immediately. This sucker will drain your battery like no other. My battery went dead while it was charging! However, the battery was near death anyway, so that may have had something to do with it. Also, the public map can only store a max of 50 updates, so the entire trek won't be displayed. Luckily, it's a pretty flexible app and lets you adjust the accuracy of the coordinates (down to 60ft) as well as the interval at which it checks for GPS signal and transmits it to the site.

So with that said, I'll probably try to run this for the entire journey, and probably do some text/photo tweets when we stop.

I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Claus now. :)

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Greetings and salutations to the brave travellers who planning on making their way across the continent that is known as North America to enjoy the delights of PAX, replete with its long queues, bizarre picto-chat and in-jokes the likes of which no one can fathom. I come to you to ask for your aid, as I need some one to assist me with distributing the PAX forum badges amongst the CCST participants.

Now I have already PM'd the originator of this thread regarding this request for volunteers but have not had a response as yet. Time is against us you see, as I'm based in the UK so the badges have to be sent very soon as it will be via international post. So if there are any of you brave people who are willing to hand out these badges during the CCST, then please send me a PM. Please do make sure that key organisers of the CCST are aware of your intentions of being a distributor.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I know you said send a PM, but I'll say this here so others can see it; if you don't get a volunteer shortly, I'd be happy to take on the task.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    kropotkin,

Moe hasn't responded yet? That's odd.

Granted so is getting headbutted by the crazy who rear-ends your car.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    w32trojanw32trojan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, due to unforseen and uncontrollable financial obligations, I'm not going to be able to attend PAX this year. Sorry for the late notice, but I was trying to wait until the very last minute because I really did want to go, but with just a month left I don't see the situation resolving itself so quickly. Sorry, maybe next year.

w32trojan on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    w32trojan wrote: »
    Unfortunately, due to unforseen and uncontrollable financial obligations, I'm not going to be able to attend PAX this year. Sorry for the late notice, but I was trying to wait until the very last minute because I really did want to go, but with just a month left I don't see the situation resolving itself so quickly. Sorry, maybe next year.

Does this mean we've lost the whole VA car?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    w32trojanw32trojan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, as I was going to be the prime financial backer,

w32trojan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well that's too bad. Oh well, hope to see you next year!

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just talked to the Green Tortoise, apparently there is a garage on South Ave. that you can park for $16 per day if you are a guest at the GT

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Quick status update: I still haven't heard from Adam about whether or not he can go, but my hopes are still high. I'll try to keep you all posted!

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.