As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Seattle Area Map and Info Thread

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Many of us are traveling into Seattle from out of town for PAX, many people for the first time. As such, I'm certain people have questions about the area. So, for you, the people, I have updated the old downtown Seattle map from 2007 with 2009 goodness. You can check it out by clicking below.

23n195.jpg

It has hotel and parking information, community events markers and places to buy food, liquor and general shopping. Check out the map, and if you still have questions about the Seattle area, ask them here and I'm sure on of our resident Seattle locals will be happy to bring you up to speed. Also, if people have any suggestions for additions to the map, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Washington State Liquor Store #2.... best addition to this map ever!! Last year we had no idea Washington has some sever controls on alcohol and tried to buy a bottle of vodka on Sunday... at a supermarket.

Yeah, that went well.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Awesome! You rock Moe! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can anyone in the area tell me if that little Sushi Kudasai kiosk in the same minimall with Borders is still open? I loved it.

Also, everyone should be aware of Milano Pizza. Literally the best pizza I've ever had. I think last year my group of friends and I ordered from them 4 or 5 times over the weekend. They deliver till 3 AM, so it's perfect for when you get out of a concert. You haven't lived till you've tried their smoked salmon pizza. It's becoming a yearly ritual for the third time now where as soon as we check in in Seattle on Thursday night, we order one.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hello, PAX-icans! I shall briefly step out of my Artist's Corner lurker status to share my limited Seattle knowledge and share a decent restaurant with you all: Bruno's!

While the Google reviews are sort of all over the place, I went to this Mexitalian place for the last two Seattle conventions I've attended that were held in the Con Center (Emerald City Comic Con and SakuraCon), and brought friends with me both times. The second time (SC weekend) the friends I introduced to the place liked it so much they went there the next day without me. :)

Good food, decent prices. Me and one of my SakuraCon-visiting friends ate a whole pizza between the two of us. Nom.

If you guys have the free time for it, I always recommend stopping by the Seattle Center and using the monorail that leads to it and from it from a mall in downtown.

Ollie on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    If anybody wants to add locations to this map, all you need is google earth. You can download the kmz file right here.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Sleet01Sleet01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ollie wrote: »
    If you guys have the free time for it, I always recommend stopping by the Seattle Center and using the monorail that leads to it and from it from a mall in downtown.

The Monorail runs from Westlake Center, about four blocks west of the Convention Center, directly to the Seattle Center. You can walk very easily or, for a taste of Seattle transit options, go two blocks north of the Convention Center and down the stairs to the tunnel, catch one of the buses for free, and get out under Westlake Center. The tunnel is also where you can catch buses every few minutes that, within the Free Ride zone, run all the way to the International District alongside the new Light Rail train but cost you nothing.

Sleet01 on
    And it's oh, boys, can't you code it <huh> and program it right;
    Nothin' ever happens in this life of mine.
    I'm haulin' out the data on the Xerox line!
  • sociald1077sociald1077 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This doesn't exactly fit in with an place, but I would like to let all the first timers know that Bumpshoot (http://www.bumbershoot.org/) will be going on at the same time as PAX. It will be at the Seattle Center and has a lot of stuff to do. I know that there is a lot to do at PAX as well, but the comdey and music acts are usally pretty good. And if your staying through Monday, it might be an option.

And as Sleet01 the monorail is close by and makes travel to and from both events faily easy.

sociald1077 on
    What did the 0 say to the 8? Nice belt!
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sleet01 wrote: »
    Ollie wrote: »

The Monorail runs from Westlake Center, about four blocks west of the Convention Center, directly to the Seattle Center. You can walk very easily or, for a taste of Seattle transit options, go two blocks north of the Convention Center and down the stairs to the tunnel, catch one of the buses for free, and get out under Westlake Center. The tunnel is also where you can catch buses every few minutes that, within the Free Ride zone, run all the way to the International District alongside the new Light Rail train but cost you nothing.

And you can take the Light Rail all the way out to Tukwilla, and then hop a bus shuttle to the airport (the Light Rail won't reach the airport itself until Christmas).

Dreamwriter on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hey moe, maybe you could sticky this thread? It's HIGHLY useful, but may not see much posting.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if it's too much to ask, but would you mind adding "109 Eastlake Ave E, Seattle, WA" that's where the post Pax Freezepop Concert is being held. Thanks

Sir_Lag on
    edited July 2009
    What is at 109 Eastlake Ave E? Is it a bar, a club or a vacant lot and what's it called?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2009
    A bar/rock venue called El Corazon, apparently Sunday they have an all-ages show with
    Freezepop
    Anamanaguchi
    Blunderbear
    Ocean Of Algebra

http://www.elcorazonseattle.com/

Dreamwriter on
  • Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    What is at 109 Eastlake Ave E? Is it a bar, a club or a vacant lot and what's it called?

Sorry, I was really tired when I wrote that and that didn't come to mind at the time (I know, not a good excuse, but I don't think you would believe the one about me fighting giant robots with my mad ninja skills)

Dreamwriter has the correct information

Sir_Lag on
  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moe, could you add the Green Tortoise to your map? I think it's on the corner of 1st and Pike, from the looks of my simple Google search. I've added it to my own maps, but it would probably be useful for others to have it listed along with the other hotels.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can confirm that liquor store #2 exists. I have been there in the past 6 months.
    There is also a liquor store on broadway and harrison street across the street from the other QFC on broadway. A little bit farther, but another option.

atray on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    For those looking to class it up a bit, Black Bottle in Belltown has a really good happy hour menu. The food is generally very good, and you get decent portions for the price. I highly recommend the smoked wild boar ribs. They're heavenly, and a really good deal at only $6. The pizzas are also quite good and a decent size for the price with the prosciutto and bechamel being deliciously decadent.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • rdldrrdldr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm looking for a good place to buy some excellent green coffee beans to bring back to Canada with me, any suggestions?

rdldr on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Any grocery stores around the convention centre area?
    I'm at the homewood suites and would like to reduce food costs by cooking...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • parasyteparasyte Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Serenity wrote: »

Kress is a pretty great place for stuff, bought a bunch of things there last year to reduce the food bill. Nice selection of stuff.

parasyte on
    edited August 2009

Just one block up from Homewood (on Pike) is a small grocery store (half convenience store). Like 5 or 6 blocks up is a 24-hour QFC for the full deal.

Dreamwriter on
    edited August 2009
    cool beans...
    Moe, any chance we could get some grocery stores up on the map?

Thanks for making the map and this thread BTW. I'm a Seattle noob and I'd be lost without some sort of map.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • JeffreyOJeffreyO Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I live in Downtown Seattle (Well, just off of it on a place called Capital Hill). Here are a few answers to some of your questions.

#1) Sushi Kudasai does exist but they usually close around 5. They're closing when I go by after work usually. I've never ate there but maybe I'll try it.

#2) Liquor store #2 does exist. If you follow the avenues west from the convention center until you hit second avenue, then turn southbound on 2nd and stay on the west side of the road you'll come across it in a couple of blocks.

#3) there is another liquor store not far away. If you follow Pike (the road the main convention entrance is on) UP the hill (east) until you hit 12th avenue, then turn left, you should see it in two blocks.

#4) Here are some of my favorites that are a bit more local that some ppl will enjoy.

--1) Honey Hole. If you follow pike straight up the hill after a few blocks you'll see it on the right. Be aware, you'll smell it on the right well before you see it. If you've ever smelled a better place let me know.
    (Item of choice) Mediterranian pizza. Perfect blend of meat, cheese, pesto, olives, yum!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=the+honey+hole,+seattle&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.188995,59.150391&ie=UTF8&ll=47.612601,-122.327743&spn=0.011428,0.027874&t=h&z=16

--2) Sushiland. If you're into 回天寿司屋 (that's rotation sushi restaurant for those of you who can't read japanese) this is the place for you in Seattle. Basically little plates rotate around and you grab what you want as it passes. Plates range between $1 - $3 with most being $1.50 or $2.00. Great deal for your dollar. A bit further away. Bus #3 or 4 will take you there but you may want to tell the driver to let you know when you're there. (Close to the space needle)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=sushiland&sll=47.610778,-122.333515&sspn=0.011428,0.027874&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

--3) Red Mill (ONLY GO HERE IF YOU HAVE A CAR) rated one of the 20 burgers you must eat before you die by GQ magazine. It's good. Wouldn't say top 20 good but definately good. Google this one, two locations but not easy by bus or walking.

--4) Kim Chi Bistro. On Broadway a 15-20 minute walk or so away from the convention center. Great Korean food. If you're new to Korean food try the Bul Go Ghi. Basically a marinated beef that's a little sweet but 100% delicious.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kimchi+bistro&sll=47.618951,-122.340617&sspn=0.022129,0.055747&ie=UTF8&ll=47.616072,-122.329395&spn=0.011065,0.027874&t=h&z=16

Last but not least --5) Saley's. Crepe restaurant with some of the best crepe's I've ever had. These are not traditional french crepe's but a treat none-the less. Very close to the convention center with some great walking views. I haven't had a bad crepe and if you're new to crepe's get the crepe dog (if you don't mind spicy) a crepe with a giant sausage in it! Could life get better?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=saley%27s&sll=47.616072,-122.329395&sspn=0.011065,0.027874&ie=UTF8&ll=47.614409,-122.329727&spn=0.005714,0.013937&t=h&z=17

I'll answer any questions any of you have. Feel free to ask here as I'll check in from time to time or also you can reach me on msn via jeffrey_osborn (at) hotmail (dot) com

JeffreyO on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you travel south along 8th ave for 6 blocks, you'll run across M Street, another grocery store in the area. And walking 10ish blocks east up the hill along Pike will land you at QFC, our local Kroger affiliate.

Ralph's Market is also not terribly far... it's kitty-corner to the Cinerama, on 4th and Lenora. That's roughly 8 blocks away, and it's not uphill.

Kress downtown is going to be the closest, easiest option. M Street is the second, with a little snazzier selection, followed by Ralph's and then QFC. QFC will have the largest selection and cheapest prices, though (ask for a QFC Club card, if you don't have one... just keep the card, you don't need to fill anything out).

And I'm sure there are a ton of people who've heard of Uwajimaya--and for the rest of you, it's a huge asian grocery store in the International District, just south of downtown--but unless you're looking for something specific or are super into imported manga, I might just be worth a visit and not a regular grocery run. But the easiest way to get there is to hop into the Metro Transit Tunnel and take any southbound bus to the International Station.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited August 2009
    cool stuff...
    good to know there are some PAX locals on the forums here.
    And thanks Makershot for the elaborate explanation of grocery stores...
    Moe, looks like you have some adding to do on the map...

P.S. I am SOOOO trying that sushi bar! haven't been to one of those places since I was in Japan!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited August 2009
    Makershot wrote: »
    If you travel south along 8th ave for 6 blocks, you'll run across M Street, another grocery store in the area. And walking 10ish blocks east up the hill along Pike will land you at QFC, our local Kroger affiliate.

Ralph's Market is also not terribly far... it's kitty-corner to the Cinerama, on 4th and Lenora. That's roughly 8 blocks away, and it's not uphill.

Kress downtown is going to be the closest, easiest option. M Street is the second, with a little snazzier selection, followed by Ralph's and then QFC. QFC will have the largest selection and cheapest prices, though (ask for a QFC Club card, if you don't have one... just keep the card, you don't need to fill anything out).

And I'm sure there are a ton of people who've heard of Uwajimaya--and for the rest of you, it's a huge asian grocery store in the International District, just south of downtown--but unless you're looking for something specific or are super into imported manga, I might just be worth a visit and not a regular grocery run. But the easiest way to get there is to hop into the Metro Transit Tunnel and take any southbound bus to the International Station.
    Don't forget Whole Foods at 2210 Westlake Ave. It is going to tend to be a bit pricier because they focus on organic/natural products but it's closer than many of the locations you list.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JeffreyOJeffreyO Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    cool stuff...

P.S. I am SOOOO trying that sushi bar! haven't been to one of those places since I was in Japan!

Sushiland is quality stuff. Of course it's Rotation style which means it's cheaper and obviously isn't quite as immediate fresh as ordering from a nice restaurant but it's good. There is another not too far away called Blue C sushi but Sushiland is a bit cheaper and has a more authentic flavor.

(Next to Uwajimaya is a place called Sushiland that makes a good Tonkotsu ramen, since you were in Japan you'll know the difference between a good one and a bad one =). Try it too if your'e into that)

JeffreyO on
    edited August 2009
    JeffreyO wrote: »
    cool stuff...

Sushiland is quality stuff. Of course it's Rotation style which means it's cheaper and obviously isn't quite as immediate fresh as ordering from a nice restaurant but it's good. There is another not too far away called Blue C sushi but Sushiland is a bit cheaper and has a more authentic flavor.

(Next to Uwajimaya is a place called Sushiland that makes a good Tonkotsu ramen, since you were in Japan you'll know the difference between a good one and a bad one =). Try it too if your'e into that)

Ooh yeah... ramen is goooddd.
    I promised myself I would try anything once while I was over there and I'm sure glad I did.
    Discovered sooo many new tastes that way (some bad ones too though :P)

Thanks for the info guys. Will definitely have to check out at least one of those places...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Don't forget Whole Foods at 2210 Westlake Ave. It is going to tend to be a bit pricier because they focus on organic/natural products but it's closer than many of the locations you list.

They have the nicest pastry section I have ever seen, and the best beer/wine selection of any grocery store!

MetaverseNomad on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sweet map! Being from Phoenix I had no idea where to find kaiten sushi. Much obliged ^__^

AltDelete on
    edited August 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

They have the nicest pastry section I have ever seen, and the best beer/wine selection of any grocery store!

Hrm? Beer and wine in a grocery store?
    Lol, my thoughts when first reading that.
    But forgot the liquor laws are different down there... they sell fire-arms in grocery stores too, don't they?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited August 2009
    That would be stupid. You get a free gun with every alcohol purchase.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No, THAT would be stupid.

The free firearms are only with every handle of Jack Daniels or Jose Cuervo.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • KnifeySpoonyKnifeySpoony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JeffreyO wrote: »
    list of great eatery locations

Thanks a bunch for your list of places to get food. My friends and I will have a late afternoon/evening in Seattle before PAX starts, I'll definitely make sure to mention a few of those places :mrgreen:.

KnifeySpoony on
  • BerylliumBeryllium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I heard someone saying that no one in Pike Place Market sells Bawls.

NOT TRUE.

My Aunt runs the Pike Place Creamery, which sells Bawls, G33K B33R and a couple dozen other exotic sodas and energy drinks.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=1514+Pike+Pl+Seattle,+WA+98101&fb=1&geocode=4985155350909134824,47.609043,-122.340313&ei=uWyISoOrF4TUsQO-pLTnAg&ll=47.609346,-122.340317&spn=0.009331,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=r11

I'm calling her to make sure she has plenty in stock PAX weekend.

20dairy190.3a.jpg

Spread the word, my crazy awesome aunt with all the tattoos has got you covered!

Beryllium on
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Beryllium wrote: »
    My Aunt runs the Pike Place Creamery, which sells Bawls, G33K B33R and a couple dozen other exotic sodas and energy drinks.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=1514+Pike+Pl+Seattle,+WA+98101&fb=1&geocode=4985155350909134824,47.609043,-122.340313&ei=uWyISoOrF4TUsQO-pLTnAg&ll=47.609346,-122.340317&spn=0.009331,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=r11

Spread the word, my crazy awesome aunt with all the tattoos has got you covered!

How far is the walk from PAX? If I get the time, I will check it out. It sounds cool.

Brex123 on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    how late will she be open on thursday night??

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • BerylliumBeryllium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Errr... without threadjacking, The Creamery is open during regular business hours (opens at 9am, closes at 6pm) and is at 1st and Pike, downhill from the Convention Center, about seven or eight blocks.

Beryllium on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've seen a few discussions of sushi places, can anyone provide more info on the different places? A few of us are looking to go out on Thursday night, and here is what I am able to piece together:

Sushiland: Rotational sushi, on conveyor belt, prob not best for sit down dinner
    Blue C Sushi: More traditional restaurant.

I also see a lot of stuff on yelp, anyone have any other recommendations? http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=Downtown,+Seattle,+WA&cflt=#find_desc=sushi&attrs=

Thanks,
    deveric

deveric on
    edited August 2009
    no, Blue C is kaiten sushi just like Sushiland only it's more upscale
    though from my limited experience at Blue C the food isn't really any better

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • kantankerouskantankerous Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    http://tripplanner.metrokc.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl?resptype=U -> this is a great site to help plan out your bus route. Very handy.

kantankerous on
    The phrase "I think therefore I am" is putting some people's existence in serious jeopardy.
This discussion has been closed.