As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SR3 OOC] Megacorp Interests

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just like not getting caught. Not getting caught is the best part of crimes. It proves you're better than them.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Woo! Guess what!

Krata got the 3rd ec book for christmas!

Now I can look at a hard copy book to make a character up and not have to keep flipping back and forth to adobe.... Wooo!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's a lucky find the 3rd e stuff is getting scarce.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Extracting a dual-natured is the best. You got him tied up and gagged, you're running with him and suddenly boioing

GM "You drop the ghoul."

StreetSam "What? Why?"

GM "You don't know"

StreetSam "..."

Mage "I astrally perceive"

GM "This place is warded."

piL on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now that's a nasty GM trick.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What?

TL DR on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What?
    In 2nd edition rules and some interpretations of 3rd edition rules (not all), a dual-natured being can be affected on the physical plane by actions done on the astral plane. Dual-natured beings, like Shadowrun ghouls, exist both in the astral plane and the physical plane. Wards are barriers that protect against astral entities. In the 2nd edition interpretation, it would be like trying to run the ghoul through an invisible wall. In 3rd edition, there are situations where the ward would collapse (and thus, warning the mage who created it) when colliding with the aura of the ghoul.

There are a lot of game mechanics arguments that can muddy these waters, mostly arguments about being able to create "astral bullets" using dual-natured bacteria and said bacteria being woven into "nets" for the use of capturing "ghosts" (Don't Cross the Streams! I believe the game designers who created these inconsistencies were booted out of FASA before they can do more damage). It looks like the above exchange was using the 2nd edition interpretation of astral space, dual-natured beings, and astral barriers.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    HOLY SHIT ITS 2009

According to Wikipeedia
    \

2009: Lone Eagle incident

* The resource rush
    * May 5: United Oil receives rights to 25% of national parklands and 10% of Indian lands.
    * Sovereign American Indian Movement (SAIM) seizes the Shiloh launch facility in Montana. Delta Team retakes the site, but not before the terrorists launch a Lone Eagle ICBM at Russia. The missile never arrives at its destination. The reasons for this are unknown by the public.
    * Re-Education and Relocation Act (Nepean Act in Canada) round up Native Americans into "reeducation centers".
    o Native Americans are spared the worst of VITAS because of this internment, ironically.
    * King Charles III is crowned in Westminster Abbey.

Also according to wikipedia, I'm, drunk

piL on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, but going by the Shadowrun calendar, shouldn't the riots that gave birth to corporate extra-territoriality have occurred in 2004?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In 2001, with Shiawese, and Japan was supposed to redeclare itself the Imperial State of Japan by 2006.

I think it's an AI reference to the uncontrollability of man made entities like AIs. And by AIs, I mean corporations, which actually exist. What I'm trying to say is that people should go to jail for hat corporations doi. Man.g

Edot: blame Seretech

piL on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dude, seriously, put the keyboard down and sleep it off.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yay, holidays are winding down and I survived New Years! (ugh)

FYI, while I don't mind people coming up with clever rules manipulations and tricks, Shadowrun is a system that's pretty open to being broken with some applied munchkin action or abnormal approaches. At my tables we often don't really give a damn about rules, we only care about knowing enough and having some structure to our fun. I'd appreciate it if people try to keep things in the spirit of the game and having fun. Yes, make a kick ass character, but don't break them so much that they're bounds ahead of the other characters. It's not really fun for all and my response as a GM to counter it usually involves a lot of death all around. :D

Again, this is not "be well rounded and don't focus on combat" because you need muscle, just don't worry about maximizing things beyond the group's capability because then I'll have to do the same. And I hate having to crawl through the books wasting a lot of time trying to counter silly things. ;-)

Since I don't feel that well today yet, I think I'll do something easy and that I can step away from on the computer like typing up sheets heh.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just realized I should mention that I'm moving tomorrow, and am not quite sure when I'll have regular internet access again. It's looking like the 10th right now, but you know how these things can go.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hello thread, I have returned.

Looking forward to this. A lot.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hello thread, I have returned.

Looking forward to this. A lot.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am back sooner than expected and ready to rock.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I love you too, Delroland. honest I do.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just letting people know that this is still coming. Naturally I am having one of those busy spurts, for those that didn't catch me posting about it in December I missed one of my exams stupidly and I am studying and setting up a time to write that, set the date today finally. Also my mother had her first chemo session yesterday, so I've been taking care of family shit first.

It's weird, I put her to bed for the first time last night. I've taken care of her here and there when she's been sick with minor stuff before, but this was totally different. First taste of that role-reversal of who takes care of who, it makes me feel really old. D:

So yeah, sorry about the delays, "in the new year" was intended to be more like the first week of January but looks more like towards the end.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Just letting people know that this is still coming. Naturally I am having one of those busy spurts, for those that didn't catch me posting about it in December I missed one of my exams stupidly and I am studying and setting up a time to write that, set the date today finally. Also my mother had her first chemo session yesterday, so I've been taking care of family shit first.

It's weird, I put her to bed for the first time last night. I've taken care of her here and there when she's been sick with minor stuff before, but this was totally different. First taste of that role-reversal of who takes care of who, it makes me feel really old. D:

So yeah, sorry about the delays, "in the new year" was intended to be more like the first week of January but looks more like towards the end.

Sorry to hear about your mum, take your time. There are more important things in life than a roleplaying game.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Valkun wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your mum, take your time. There are more important things in life than a roleplaying game.

HERESY!

Just kidding. Take all the time you need, Infy.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the update, move at your own pace; family first.

piL on
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've not gone through all 19 pages of the thread because something is in danger of boiling over if I do, but is it still possible to buy E-Book format SR3 books? I may be starting up a campaign and all my books are in storage 2700 miles away.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?filters=0_0_1700

DrivethruRPG sells SR 3rd and 4th edition stuff in PDF.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thank you very much.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yo I am totally down for rolling an SR3 character.

Im not a big fan of the 4e. mainly because it takes the whole hacking thing out of the hacking... stupid wifi.. SR seems.. I dunno.. it doesn't feel like SR if you arent actually jacking into the trix..

Anyway. I tend towards mages/shamans. So If there aren't a ton of these already I'll throw something together. If there isn't much need for casters I'll play about anything outside of a decker.. matrix rules boggle my mind..

So ya, lemme know if there is room in this game still. I've been playing/GMing SR since sr2 and am a huge fan of the game/genre.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    illgottengains

you can have my spot if you want it.

I don't know how much i'm gonna be able to pay attention to this.

Take care of things, Infy. We'll all be here waiting.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Since we had quite a few submissions and everyone wanted to play very much so, I don't think I'll be taking any new concepts for my game at this time. If Ahava is bowing out that is ok, if you still want to play that's awesome but I probably won't be "replacing" you. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jesus, why did I ever agree to let this many players into the game? D:

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Valkun wrote: »
    Jesus, someone feel free to run a second game as well. :winky:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, Ahava's gonna bow out.

Cause her brain is mush.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh hey look, my SR thread!

An update is in order, I don't want people feeling neglected forever. :| If people have lost interest I understand. But!

My deferred exam was deferred again to this coming Tuesday due to the administer booking themselves into a meeting during the same time cause they forgot about it. Ooops hi5! And this weekend I'm taking my mother to the city for Saturday and Sunday because she is getting cabin fever from being home all the time and only having me to hang out with most of the time, we're gonna go visit family. Monday she undergoes her second treatment so I don't know how sick she will get so I'm gonna take her out while the takings good.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    *bump* :winky:

So this is being put together, three players.

DA, Krata, piL, get your characters in if you haven't yet. Priority system or 120 point buy.

DA - shaman?
    Krata - human face
    piL - decker?

For some homework and to ensure your team complements one another (since the three of you prefer to run without any extra baggage you should cover as much as possible) you should discuss scenarios and run types and how you would handle them.

i.e., an extraction, prototype destruction, paydata recovery, as well as general tactics such as infiltration, demolitions, and so on.

The shadowrunner with the plan is the shadowrunner that lives to plan another.

As for your background bits, I may end up writing them custom for you all instead of writing a pool and having them RNG+chosen.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    is it like.. too late to jump in on this?

I can have a character done in 24 hours.. prolly less. But I need to get some sleep so not just yet. I will totally bring the pain in a very samurai like manner...

lol. I posted here like.. 6 months ago.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes I ninjad my choices to the players already.

If I look for more I will post it.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to be playing Michael. Yes, just Michael. A bit of information on him:
    Michael is a modern-day Machiavelli, to an extent, and never ever goes into a situation without at least one backup plan, preferably three or four, unless he absolutely has to. He's dangerous and manipulative, and it's fairly obvious that his survival instinct is much stronger than any sense of morals he may or may not have had before becoming a 'runner. On the bright side, he's never screwed the team... they work well together, and he needs them. To sweeten the pot, they need him, too... between his connections, his ability to play what TVTropes affectionally calls Xanatos Speed Chess when plans go to hell, and his... interesting knowledge of undisclosed subjects, he considers himself indispensable to them, and frankly he likes that feeling.

He prefers it when things run smoothly. As a result, if he has to make a judgement call, don't expect him to explain it until after the fact when the team's safe and sound, holed up somewhere. At the same time, there are some things Michael doesn't talk about... ever. Like many 'runners, for example, he doesn't seem keen on explaining how or why he got into the business. Nor does he care to explain why it is that he knows practically every major (and many minor) executive in Seattle by name, face, and job title from memory. If pressed, he just comments that he does his homework.

With a few days advance warning, Michael is usually capable of coming up with whatever the team might need, including backup. It can get costly, but usually, it's worth it.

Michael prefers extensively planning out every run, including backups and room for each team member to improvise according to changing circumstances. He also prefers to do some serious prep work for serious runs, including background checks on potential assets and targets, and security checks on top of that.

I'll be more than happy to discuss particulars as soon as I know for sure who my teammates are. Michael will fit well with basically any group, as long as they aren't excessively bloodthirsty or just plain moronic. By "excessively" bloodthirsty, I mean a penchant for leaving a lot more bodies behind than is really necessary... that sort of thing might be fun for some people, but it's both unprofessional and tends to invite overwhelming-force style responses...

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I have Krata's sheet, please PM me your characters asap. Yes, the sheets are closed.

Any questions about the setting or game in general make them here for all to see the answers please.

I may possibly be the worst writer out of the lot of us, but I'm going to curl up with some novels to absorb the style again hopefully.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    20 hours for a character! Slave driver!

I'm working on stuff right this minute for you.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I had forgotten how much math was involved.

I'm not pondering if I ever did that math without the aid of a computer program....

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Character Generator for those needing it still.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ....I really should have checked the previous pages of the thread. It took me about half an hour of googling to find that damn thing.

DevoutlyApathetic on