As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheapest way to transcode PS2 out to 1080p.

TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
I'm getting a PS2 and I only have a 1080p monitor to play games on. I know transcoders exist for this purpose, but they're expensive and I don't have the money for that. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to upscale the output of a PS2 with my computer using a TV tuner (which is much cheaper than a transcoder) and an application designed for the purpose of upscaling(or is the proper term transsizing?) video. I think my computer should be able to handle it. I would assume that with HTPCs growing in popularity that such a program would exist. I can't find anything on google, but I might not be using the right keywords.

EH28YFo.jpg
Taranis on

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I haven't used it, but I think you may be looking for Dscaler?

Frem on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    I haven't used it, but I think you may be looking for Dscaler?

This looks like it should work, though the fact that the site says it requires an AGP card worries me.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Media Player Classic can also do this.

corky842 on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Using a TV Tuner rather than a transcoder is going to introduce quite a bit of lag into your gaming.

For slower paced games it may not matter much, but for higher paced games, like action games, the lag introduced by using a TV Tuner to play PS2 games on your monitor might bother you. And the lag can essentially destroy any hope of playing a music/rhythm game, unless it's a music game that has lag calibration (like guitar hero 2 for instance).

You should know, because, I was in a similar position once. I wanted to play PS2 games on my monitor without buying a transcoder; rather I bought a cheap-ish TV tuner and used Dscaler to put it on my monitor. It works okay-ish. But I personally just ended up getting a transcoder because it reduces the lag, and, well, better image quality honestly.

slash000 on