As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAA Episode 3

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is my place. I have been put in it. Ouch.

I'm supposed to be super-duper nice to people already demanding satisfaction from the developers? To hell with that. Seriously, what are you, new? Have you not seen the way other companies are run and how they portion information?

I'll say it again, Hothead has communicated the current status of the project. Bitching about it because it isn't what you want to hear isn't going to change that. Condescending? I guess. I do not work for either party, nor am I involved. But I can make educated guesses. And a game that has potentially lost 70% of its market in the follow-up episode had to have raised some eyebrows. Discussion about putting it on hiatus whilst Hothead works on other projects thus allowing the possibility that the market will cool down from PAA burnout in the meantime is not an unreasonable thing to presume.

It sure as shit beats the alternate 'theory' of 'They're abandoning the loyal fans! They don't care!' in terms of realistic explanations.

So how about it, hot shot. Got any plausible explanations yourself? Or were you just posting here to shut down debate?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    maybe in future you can phrase your replies with a little less self-righteousness, condescension and arrogance.

I see that was a little too much to hope for then.

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And now I have been told.

Clearly those if us who are more patient waiting for this game and who might also have plausible explanations as for why there have been delays should just take our ball and go home. We have nothing worthwhile to add.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • MistressKanaMistressKana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Leave Santa alone. He's obviously taking all this to heart. By being impatiant, we have apparently insulted his mother. It's ok. Thanks though, ChuckleBerry. I was kind of starting to wonder if i'd somehow sodomized someone from the way people were reacting.

MistressKana on
  • YeahYeahYouWereYeahYeahYouWere Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do not work for either party, nor am I involved. But I can make educated guesses.

So, you can make educated guesses and be considered rational, but when people are concerned because a series of games that was allegedly going to have a 4 month release interval goes 9 months without an episode and the level of communication about the series, which previously was very high, drops to infinitesimal, we're all a bunch of lunatics? I don't get it.

I don't understand how it's so irrational for people to be concerned when they've seen a radical change in behavior from both Penny Arcade and Hothead. Penny Arcade Adventures has been very conspicuously absent from news posts for a long time now. No new art, no blurbs about working on dialogue, nothing.

Again, I don't the lack of communication and the absence of a release date is the end of the world. But I also don't think people expecting something from the authors and developers in regards to the game is the end of the world either.

YeahYeahYouWere on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Again, I don't the lack of communication and the absence of a release date is the end of the world. But I also don't think people expecting something from the authors and developers in regards to the game is the end of the world either.

This is pretty much how I feel.

Look, for episodes 1 and 2, Hothead almost over communicated about the games. We heard pretty much every little detail that was going on. Now, while that was good, it's also very unique. All hothead/PA has done is actually just fall in line with what the other 99.99% of the game development industry does. You hear/see nothing about a game for months at a time. That's the industry practice, and there's nothing wrong with that

Now, that being said, I'm still a bit concerned that we've heard nothing, because they were so active before. Just along the lines of "hey, we're still working on the game, just with fewer resources" or whatever, would be nice.

I don't expect the dev's to keep us up to date on every detail of creating a game. I don't even expect regular, scheduled updates. That is un-realistic. And I think that hothead actually hurt themselves a bit by doing that with episodes 1 and 2 because now it's clear that some people here expect that.

However, seeing as we've essentially heard nothing for about 9 months, just for someone to let us know that the people at hothead aren't dead would be good. That's all that I want, and I'm sure that 90% of the people who actually care enough about the game to look at this thread/forum just want that too.

Can we please try to get away from the crap and the name calling? It's not exactly making the thread look good when all we're really asking for is an update.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HH Joel wrote: »
    torian wrote: »
    well, on the HH forums a mod finally posted for the first time in three months. Basically he says that having a new CEO was distracting and that's why we haven't heard anything. He implies that work is going forward, but doesn't say anything outright and pretty much says he can't. So, what do you guys think, this guy full of shit?

Well that guy was me, and I make every effort not to be full of shit. :)

I will say sorry for the radio silence lately though. There's not really anything nefarious behind it. Basically with the gazillion hats many of us end up wearing in a small studio, keeping up-to-date with all the goings on on the various forums has slipped lately. We still read all the comments and feedback and love hearing it. And we're glad you're looking forward to the next episode.

Last year we were pretty singularly focused on getting Episode One and Two out. This year sees a whole bunch more on our plate: we're in full swing on DeathSpank and are working on getting Swarm off the ground as well. And we spent a bunch of time hiring a new boss! (http://www.hotheadgames.com/blog/?p=105).

We don't have anything new to say on Episode Three right now, but I wanted to at least poke my head up and make sure you knew Hothead hadn't fallen into the sea.

Cheers,
    Joel

This is from a few pages ago.

They also posted this recently: http://www.hotheadgames.com/blog/?p=113

While, like many folks, I do find the silence a bit disconcerting, HH is still around.

ASimPerson on
  • stimutax67stimutax67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was at comic con over the weekend and they were more than willing to tell me the state of EP3. Jerry Summed it up in one word, "Limbo". He literally said, "Limbo, look up the definition and thats where EP3 is.".

Well, I guess it goes from God, to Jerry to you to the cleaners. Right, Kent?

stimutax67 on
    titlebar.jpg
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well that doesn't sound very promising, and seems like an odd way to answer a question.

Ganluan on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    stimutax67 wrote: »

excellent use of quote there hehe

Xaquin on
  • YeahYeahYouWereYeahYeahYouWere Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tycho's newspost today, talking about The Old Republic - "The last time I had occasion to reference the title, it was to say that their reluctance to actually discuss their work made enthusiasm impossible."

Oh, snap.

Sorry to hear that Episode 3 is in fact in Limbo. I enjoyed the first 2, but I understand if they aren't economically viable that it makes little sense to make a 3rd.

YeahYeahYouWere on
  • TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was at comic con over the weekend and they were more than willing to tell me the state of EP3. Jerry Summed it up in one word, "Limbo". He literally said, "Limbo, look up the definition and thats where EP3 is.".

*takes a deep breath* NOOOooooOOoooooooooooOOOoOoOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! D: How do I show Gabe and Tycho that I have more support for this product? I guess I should ask WHERE DO I THROW MY $MONEY$?

Teburninator on
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I asked them about it at Comic Con and they also told me that it was in limbo. They said it was too much work and the comic was suffering as a result. They also said that if a new episode is never released they will wrap up the story in one way or another.

Igpx407 on
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, that is really surprising news. I was looking forward to the third episode, but I did feel the gameplay needed some significant tweaking. The combat was pretty tedious by the end of the second episode.

Maybe they'll come back to it at some point. I wish them luck in whatever they move into next. Probably an Automata graphic novel or possibly move into animated PA.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Phanman wrote: »
    Maybe they'll come back to it at some point. I wish them luck in whatever they move into next. Probably an Automata graphic novel or possibly move into animated PA.

If they move into anything at all.
    I mean, if the comic was suffering as previously stated in this thread, I would personally be incredibly cautious with what, if at all, I would do with the comic. Maybe they're happy with running the webcomic alone, as some things are just too good to be tinkered with. Know what I mean?

Chokehold on
  • Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know, my faith in PA is fully restored (not that it was CRUSHED before, despite the pathetic, rimjobbing mockery we arch-unbelievers have enjoyed in this thread). Why? Because of honesty. If the games weren't selling, if the comic was suffering, fine, can it. I'll mourn. But be a fucking man and tell us. I hope it comes back from the grave, but if it doesn't, at least now I know why. I'm not being fragged off by Hothead, I'm not being bellowed at by forum goblins.

Thanks Mike and Gabe - my love never wavered, I just got worried about how much you loved me. *sob*

P.S. Write me a thesis on the always strange interplay between "figures" and their fans if you like, the way both "sides" have reacted here is all beautifully sociologically conditioned.

Owen Edwards on
    edited August 2009

That's a shame, thanks for letting us know.

chuckleberryfinn on
  • MarkWhite1048MarkWhite1048 Registered User new member
    edited August 2009

That's a shame, thanks for letting us know.

Damn. That's depressing/

MarkWhite1048 on
    Yours
    Mark Whiteman
    Exam Study Guide
  • stimutax67stimutax67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yeah it really bums me out because it truly is my favorite game. I loved the gameplay, I loved the story, I loved the character generation. And the worst part of it is there is no other game like it. Comedy, rpg, adventure, mini game combat...

It would be a shame for me to retire Elsworth and Pearl. (my character and wifes character)

stimutax67 on
    titlebar.jpg
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ya I am with this "I'm really bummed out" crowd on this. I really enjoyed Ep1 and EP2 so much I bought each one 3 times. (360, PS3 and PC) and was really looking forward to EP3 especially after the ending of EP2

Artoria on
    edited August 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Ya I am with this "I'm really bummed out" crowd on this. I really enjoyed Ep1 and EP2 so much I bought each one 3 times. (360, PS3 and PC) and was really looking forward to EP3 especially after the ending of EP2

And I thought I was crazy for wanting to buy it on my PC and PS3. Kudos for supporting them thrice! :lol:

Teburninator on
  • toriantorian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the reports if this game being in limbo aside, I'm still hopeful. I think we should wait for PAX, Ron Gilbert is going to be the keynote speaker. This may just be some kind of clever marketing ploy by Gabe and Tycho.....

at least I hope it is.

torian on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    on 1 vs 100 they are still claiming to be making at least 4 total XBLA games so well see.... ( i know its not the forum for announcing they are no longer making, or everything's going swimmingly though.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • otterpotterp Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    You just made me cry. I hope you are happy.

- otterp

On Aug 12, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Hothead Support wrote:

Thanks so much for your interest in the Penny Arcade series. Unfortunately I don't have any new news for you on Episode Three at the moment, but you can always stay in touch on our web site, or check us out on Twitter at http://twitter.com/hotheadgames.

All the best,
    Joel
    Hothead Games
    http://www.hotheadgames.com/

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:34:28 -0700, xxxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    I want to give you more money in exchange for gaming pleasure! Make
    episode 3!

That is all.

- otterp

otterp on
  • LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Damn. EP1 is pretty much what brought me to this site.... (I know, backwards)

I love the whole feel to these games, and they are one of the few that make me litterally LOL.

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • IceLupusIceLupus Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Am really hoping that episode 3 of RSPD will come out sometime soon. I love the way the games play and want more of it. PLEASE I am begging for more.

IceLupus on
    Just because you have a mind like a hammer doesn't mean you should treat everyone else like a nail
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    IceLupus wrote: »
    Am really hoping that episode 3 of RSPD will come out sometime soon. I love the way the games play and want more of it. PLEASE I am begging for more.

hmmm, you apparently missed the last page of the thread where the game is officially "in limbo" Straight form Tycho's mouth.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited August 2009
    Good news everyone! http://kotaku.com/5349518/celebrate-pax-09-with-a-cheaper-precipice-2 I'm not sure if that means that they want the first two in the hands of people, before the third comes out, or they just want more moneh...OR BOTH dun dun dun. Thoughts peoples?

Teburninator on
  • IcedhopeIcedhope Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm guessing Hothead, will have at least 20,000 people ask them about it...I feel sorry for the guys running the booth.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
    edited September 2009
    chuckleberryfinn on
  • FoxeyFoxey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As much as I love episodic play (which is to say, I don't because I'm impatient and hate waiting months for the next chapter) what I'm hoping is that they'll wrap up the final parts of the story in one larger game.

The sales would have been (I can only assume based on purely made up statistics) awesome if it was released as a game that hit the stores. There has not been a similarly stylish game released in quite a while and there is still a very large number of people in the world who still enjoy getting their box and CD.

Ah well - we'll finally have an answer to our queries soon with pax less than a day away. Come Monday we shall know all, or cry ourselves to sleep that night.

~ Now if only they'd market a little wind up Fruit Fucker toy. That would be made of pure WIN.

Foxey on
    edited September 2009
    Has anyone had time to go talk to the guys at Hothead yet? Any word on an EP 3 or not?

Artoria on
  • everyonehereiskeneveryonehereisken Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    edited September 2009
  • dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dark_porpoise on
    edited September 2009
    well i just hope they have the annoucement soon.

Artoria on
  • ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In the interview with Giant Bomb, they said it would be "soon".

The interview

Arkyris on
  • dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Even without the mention of the game announcement being "soon" :winky: , that was a fantastic interview.

dark_porpoise on
  • uglyhatuglyhat Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Ooooor later.

uglyhat on
  • xbskidxbskid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    uglyhat wrote: »
    Ooooor later.

We're going by Valve time.

xbskid on