As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Canadian Supertrip 2009 : Goin' to Seattle, eh?

• AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    - if I don't feel like doing that to my poor car or if I can't find enough people interested in a ride, greyhound!
    oh and just so that everybody knows, the fares are up to 53.30 for 14-day advanced payment and 68.50 regular price. Bowser you might want to update the thread.

I just checked the pricing for my +5 and the 21 day advance pricing is still there on the Greyhound website (perhaps its only available for Thursday to Monday trips) for $38.10 round trip.

So b0wser you can change the OP back to include 21 day pricing.... oh wait. :P

AbsintheMinded on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Speaking of which, b0wser you can slot me in as +5 on the list as I'll be bringing a few non-forumers along. 8-)

You're damn rights I can!

Maybe I'll even join the bus group next year.

b0wser on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it possible for us to clarify those differences? If there's reasoning for two different prices from Greyhound, I'll post both prices.

b0wser on
    edited June 2009
    b0wser wrote: »
    Is it possible for us to clarify those differences? If there's reasoning for two different prices from Greyhound, I'll post both prices.

Actually there's four different prices. :winky:

The 21 day advance pricing has to be paid in full at least 21 days before the trip. Currently $38.10 for the round trip.

The 14 day advance pricing is same difference but for 14 days... in other words it won't be relevant until we are between 14 and 21 days from the trip. Currently $57.20 round trip

In either case you have to head down to the ticket booth or pay by credit card before the 21/14 day cutoff date. If you are reserving a seat but not paying until day of, or simply waiting until the last minute, you won't get either price.

Regular pricing consists of a non-refundable fare for procrastinators, currently $60.50 round trip and a refundable fare for the paranoid, currently $68.50 round trip.

Of course as we get closer to event and start booking up the entire bus, prices may increase. Damned capitalist bus company!

AbsintheMinded on
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is there anyone going to the VCEC in north of downtown on the next weekend? I'll be there for the weekend. I'm sure some could guess what event that is...

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Firestorm88Firestorm88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    No, this year it opens at 8am.
    Yeah, e-mailed Robert for confirmation and got a reply saying it'll be 10AM. I'm looking at what to do now. We might leave at 6:30 PM the evening before. I'd love to do 8:30 with you guys but a few people in my party can't get off work.

Firestorm88 on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, this year it opens at 8am.
    Yeah, e-mailed Robert for confirmation and got a reply saying it'll be 10AM. I'm looking at what to do now. We might leave at 6:30 PM the evening before. I'd love to do 8:30 with you guys but a few people in my party can't get off work.

Just tell them how awesome it would be to have an entire bus to ourselves (with these numbers, that looks like it'd be the case :P)

tr0tsky on
    edited June 2009
    So I finally decided on my return trip date/time and went down to Pacific Central to pick up my bus tickets today.

While chatting with the ticket agent I gained an interesting tidbit of information that might discern why Serenity and I were getting different prices. Turns out greyhound.com and greyhound.ca have different rates. Apparently .ca builds in an exchange rate with ficticious Canadian dollar at about $0.75-0.80 to the US dollar. Accordingly since our dollar is almost on par again, .ca has a higher price.

I just picked up my round trip ticket for $26.00 USD, or about $28.75 CDN with the current exchange rate.

So I guess that means now is a good time to pick up your tickets. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    Well, I couldn't do 8:30 AM with you guys but we are leaving a day early now. Taking the 6:30 PM bus. Yeah, I told all my friends to order off greyhound.com instead of .ca.

So we can already pick up our tickets now? We were planning to pick them up on the day of.

Firestorm88 on
    edited June 2009
    You can pick up tickets reserved from the website or their customer service line a few hours after ordering. To be safe its best to wait until the next day to ensure they are processed.

Or to avoid any convenience fees you can also go down to the ticket booth at Pacific Central and buy them there at any time.

Also I should mention that I've been informed that Greyhound reserves the right to modify trip times, even after tickets are purchased. They won't usually do a major change but the 8:30am trip could change to 8:15, 8:00, 8:45, etc.

I'll be keeping watch for any changes to the "official" 8:30am trip (I'm sure tr0tsky will also be keeping a vigilant watch).... but if you're going at a different time be sure to check the website for any changes to departure times the day before.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    Well, I couldn't do 8:30 AM with you guys but we are leaving a day early now. Taking the 6:30 PM bus.

Ah well, that's not too bad. Get contact info from one of us if you want to find the bar we'll most likely be at by that point :P

tr0tsky on
  • ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    any room for 2 red deer people in any caravans?

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
    edited June 2009
    Ah ok. Hm. If I knew that abou tickets I probably would have ordered everyone's tickets myself and picked it up. We're too spread across the lower mainland so I guess it's day of for us. Greyhound says to be there an hour early.
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    Well, I couldn't do 8:30 AM with you guys but we are leaving a day early now. Taking the 6:30 PM bus.

Ah well, that's not too bad. Get contact info from one of us if you want to find the bar we'll most likely be at by that point :P
    We're all 1988ers so under US law half of us can't drink! Crazy Americans...

Firestorm88 on
    edited June 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    We're all 1988ers so under US law half of us can't drink! Crazy Americans...

It's okay they don't have real beer down there anyways.

Though that kinda makes it a shame that the only community event you'll be in Seattle for will be the pubcrawl. D:

You'll just have to make sure to attend whatever pre-pre-PAX events we end up throwing in Vancouver before the trip down.

AbsintheMinded on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, that's a good point about the Vancouver events. I know in one of the old threads that's been pushed off the front page there was talk about the date for the For The Wings! event. We should start talking about these things.

Wormdundee on
    edited June 2009
    Well, I imagine For the Wings! will be Wednesday the 2nd of Sept.

tr0tsky on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah our old Pre-Pre-PAX Events thread is lost deep in purgatory now (please don't revive the old one for Moe's sake... lol.)

I'll be launching a new thread when we get a little closer to PAX (probably in one to two weeks) for planning and registering for the events.

There will be a For The Wings night again and it will most likely be Wednesday the 2nd.

Depending on interest we'll probably do a dinner though I'm thinking it best not to put it on the same night as FTW night this time. Other events like a Gaming night at Jims, rock band tourney at a downtown pub, and anything else we may come up with will be discussed in the new thread.

I might even use one of those fancy schmancy polls. :mrgreen:

AbsintheMinded on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad this is coming up, as I am going to be getting into Vancouver on Wednesday sometime but don't know too many people there and would like to participate in some GOINGS ON.

Asiina on
    edited June 2009
    FYI, September 2 is my 21st birthday. I require presents at FTW!

Wormdundee on
  • k3rnelpanick3rnelpanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just in time for PAX. It must be a sign.

k3rnelpanic on
    edited June 2009
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    FYI, September 2 is my 21st birthday. I require presents at FTW!

What getting to hang out with awesome PAXers isn't enough for you? :P

Getting to chill with tr0tsky is waaaay better than any other present you would get!

Anyway, I'll put the thread together later tonight for Pre-Pre-PAX Vancouver Events since it looks like the concept is going to hijack the CST thread otherwise. lol.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited June 2009
    Getting to chill with tr0tsky is waaaay better than any other present you would get!

Oh god, stop setting me up for failure/disappointment =( Unless your idea of an ideal gift is getting destroyed at Tetris...in which case it'll be an awesome party.

tr0tsky on
  • DiscoGobboDiscoGobbo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm visiting Vancouver starting on the 31st, and will be taking the Greyhound down to Seattle. Add me to the cool kids list.

DiscoGobbo on
    PSN ID : DiscoGobbo.
    Warrior | Mage
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DiscoGobbo wrote: »
    I'm visiting Vancouver starting on the 31st, and will be taking the Greyhound down to Seattle. Add me to the cool kids list.

Check out these shenanigans. You'll be around for FTW Night. :winky:

ACC3SS on
  • DiscoGobboDiscoGobbo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I do like wings...

DiscoGobbo on
    PSN ID : DiscoGobbo.
    Warrior | Mage
    edited June 2009
    Indeed, then you are in luck sir! For Wings does in fact serve the best Wings I have ever had.

Wormdundee on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why do I have to live in Toronto? Now everyone hates me because of where I live, I'm missing out on some crazy PAX road trip, AND I'm missing awesome wings! I hate toronto ;_;

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    You know, you could just cross the border and join the Cross-Country Supertrip. We're friendly, I swear.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why do I have to live in Toronto? Now everyone hates me because of where I live, I'm missing out on some crazy PAX road trip, AND I'm missing awesome wings! I hate toronto ;_;

Is Fan Expo there becoming uninteresting or what?

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Put me down for the Vancouver - Seattle bus trip.

Varcayn on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know, you could just cross the border and join the Cross-Country Supertrip. We're friendly, I swear.

Cool kids ride the bus.

parabola on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    The short bus, maybe.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2009
    My mom told me I was special.

Wormdundee on
    edited July 2009
    Anyone on the CST need a room for PAX? I apparently have 2 spots open now at the Grand Hyatt and would rather give them to one of you guys. If not I'll post on the roomshare thread next week.

tr0tsky on
  • RC DemoralRC Demoral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Signing me up + 1 to that bus from Vancouver to Seattle.
    Pablo the Penguin Why do I have to live in Toronto? Now everyone hates me because of where I live, I'm missing out on some crazy PAX road trip, AND I'm missing awesome wings! I hate toronto ;_;

Yo dude, we're from Toronto too. Don't let that stop you! Fly to Vancouver by Westjet, it's cheaper. Also try flying out of Hamilton. Take the Greyhound from vancouver to Seattle and it'll be cheaper overall.

edit: We've got wings places that have 100 flavours. One. Hundred. Flavours. Toronto wings are where its at.

RC Demoral on
    edited July 2009
    RC Demoral wrote: »
    Yo dude, we're from Toronto too. Don't let that stop you! Fly to Vancouver by Westjet, it's cheaper. Also try flying out of Hamilton. Take the Greyhound from Vancouver to Seattle and it'll be cheaper overall.

RC is correct on that one. If you are flying from a Canadian city you'll wnat to fly into Vancouver and bus the rest of the trip. The cost savings is well worth the three hour bus ride.

I've been pricing out a flight for PAX East. For that trip return airfare would be around $800 from Vancouver to Boston but is around $400 for Seattle to Boston. You'll be looking at a similar difference coming west. It's the connecting flight from YVR (or any Canadian city) to SEATAC that is the real cost difference.

To get from YVR (Vancouver Airport) to the Greyhound bus terminal is a pretty easy trip. You take the 98 B-Line express (Transit bus) from the airport to Granville Station, then take the SkyTrain eastbound 2 stops to Main Street station, and you're there. The Greyhound drops you off in Seattle about three blocks from PAX. In addition if you buy the Greyhound ticket at least 14 days before your trip, the cost of the bus ticket and transit fare combined is around what you'd pay for a cab ride from the Seattle Airport to PAX.

You should have no problem finding an early morning flight to Vancouver, and be able to get a midday bus to Seattle on Thursday the 3rd. You'd arrive in Seattle late afternoon and save a few hundred dollars.

In addition if you wanted to get into Seattle earlier on Thursday, you could fly into Vancouver on Wednesday morning, book a hotel room for that night, join in the Pre-PAX festivities that day, spend about $100 on drinks and Wings that night, bus out with the CST Thursday morning.... and you'd STILL be saving money. :P

AbsintheMinded on
    edited July 2009
    I propose that AbsintheMinded's latter plan is the superior one.

Wormdundee on
    edited July 2009
    In addition if you wanted to get into Seattle earlier on Thursday, you could fly into Vancouver on Wednesday morning, book a hotel room for that night, join in the Pre-PAX festivities that day, spend about $100 on drinks and Wings that night, bus out with the CST Thursday morning.... and you'd STILL be saving money. :P

You could also probably convince a nice Vancouverite to let you sleep on his floor and save the hotel cost for wednesday night

tr0tsky on
    edited July 2009
    For all the CSTers a quick reminder to give a call to your cell phone provider's customer service department to let them know about your trip dates and see what they have available for roaming features.

For my provider (Bell) they have packages to cover your airtime and texting for the trip. I've previously added a Connect USA package with a Roaming Text 1000 package. It costs about $60 for the two combined and provides 100 mins in Seattle (to any number in US or CAN), 1000 sent text messages (to US or CAN numbers) and unlimited incoming texts while in the US.

Without the packages the same amount of usage would rack up about $700 in roaming fees. Roaming fees add up rather quickly (especially at $0.60 per text message) and I remember a few people posting about triple digit roaming charges last year.

I'm sure Rogers and Telus must have similar packages as well, and if you are not planning on texting as much as I am, there are also smaller roaming bundles available.

Also, its very important to ask about Proration. All of these roaming packages are added to your account for a full billing period (30 days). In case your billing date falls in the middle of PAX (like mine does) you'll want to pre-date and post-date these features to offer you the maximum coverage during your trip.

AbsintheMinded on
  • PicklesworthPicklesworth Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Add me, + at least one other to the bus group from Vancouver, at least as a Maybe :)

I should really feel bad for anyone on that bus who isn't going to PAX. But I won't.

Picklesworth on
This discussion has been closed.