As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do you do in a VAST UNIVERSE? Blow stuff up! Browser game invasion!

1121314151618»

• Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmm, if I can actually wipe something out, then this game may recapture my interest...

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can only take out rats, player colonies are still indestructible. Loot-able, but indestructible.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Still, wiping out ratz is something.

It's too bad colonies get so expensive. Wiping out ratz and planting a new colony on choice planets would be fun. Or even the ability to take over ratz colonies.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I know we were only talking about ratoidz, but like Six said at least it's something.

Maybe this is what we could do, just go on a total galaxy-wide crusade against ratoidz and keep score of how many we wipe out.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Say, after being attacked by someone, is there any way to find out where that person is, or at least where they attacked from? Someone hit my home planet recently and took out a couple of defense floaters, so I was wanting to go thank him for visiting, but alas, he didn't seem to leave a return address.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The battle log will show who attacked you, but not where the attackers came from. You'll need to manually check the stars nearby your colony to see which one attacked you. It'll probably turn out to be one or two stars away. It's very doubtful that someone would bother sending a fleet all the way from the other side of the galaxy.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Huh, turns out he was hours away, but within range of one of my forgotten probes. Curious fellow.

Edit: Huh, turns out I misread the report. It wasn't two of my vessels that got destroyed, but two of his.
    Out of the two fighters he sent.
    Against unarmed armor-laden satellites and an unarmed recycling/cargo satellites.

...eh, free debris, I guess...

Dizzen on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I've started producing plasma battleships. I don't know if they're the optimal configuration, and I don't really care.

I'm going to convert the universe to Spode or set it on fire

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Why not both?

I finally got counter-attacked by one of the people I was farming. The guy sent a tiny handful of satellites to be slaughtered by my pillaging fleet. ...Which is weird, because according to the game's rankings he should have been able to field a significantly larger force than mine. I can't tell if he sucks or just didn't care enough to bother.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I lurked on over to this thread and decided to join in. Now, do I need to locate your WANG or will I need to be invited? :winky:

edit: Also here's my profile.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    So I lurked on over to this thread and decided to join in. Now, do I need to locate your WANG or will I need to be invited? :winky:

edit: Also here's my profile.

Invite sent, but you'll need to build an embassy if you haven't already.

Six on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rerolled... and still not happy with where I am... :(

Where are most people located?

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We're scattered all over the place.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We're scattered all over the place.

edit: dp

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can delete a dp inside the EDIT option, fyi ^^

I've got three planets, prolly nab a 4th soon.... should I be defending these? I have 2 shuttles orbiting my two better planets with projectile weapons, just so there is something there... when and how do I need to start worrying about attack & defense?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The best defense against attack is to pump up the levels of your Command Centers. The CCs were boosted a while back to make them more viable, and provide guaranteed firepower that can't be destroyed by enemy attackers. Obviously, you'd still need some ships on hand, at the very least to scoop up the debris left behind after the battle.

Truthfully though, there isn't much risk of being attacked either way, unless you start purposely picking fights with other people. Most of the game's players are either inactive or busy grinding for higher building/tech levels.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have been trying to start fights with people nearby but no one seems to want to. I can steal up to 5 million resources an attack now though.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hi, im lurk the forums often but hardly post, i just started this game
    Player name: Squatfurd
    Planet name: Home (i screwed that up, you cant rename your planet can you?)

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Welcome to the game!
    To rename a colony, go to one of the colony's pages (Overview, Research, whatever, doesn't matter which), and then you'll see a gray bar underneath the that Colonies stats (specifically, just below 'Net Income'). On the right side of that bar is a Rename option, albeit in a font that is noticeably smaller than the other links on that bar.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    dur. right in front of my face.

local flavor police on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SulSeeker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Both of you have invites now. Click on the Federation link to accept it.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Colony #17 up and running. Woo?

I just changed my racial stats, and finally bumped down the adaptability a bit. A side affect was that suddenly none of my colonies had anywhere near enough habitats/biospheres for their population, and I had to cancel all pending orders and throw some into the queue. Funny, that.

I also think it's adorable that the ratz got so pissed at me that they attacked with 16 cargo ships.

Six on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can I get a tactical striker in this area: -20:21:60

come on, let's see what an organized federation can do.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I swear, it seems like this Fudge chicken from the CLA has a whopper of a vendetta against me. He continually keeps trying to ram his fleet into mine, despite doing almost no real damage at all. Who knew someone could take being pillaged by 50 cargo sats so seriously?

I've got some ships about six to ten hours away from the location you listed. Is there any other info I should know about before I try to send them?

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That location is pretty much the exact opposite end of the galaxy from me. :P

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also, who's screwing around with the war declaration against NOOG?

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do you guys have problems with making energy, I seem to be out of the stuff like all the time. I'm guessing my race being an all energy eating race is a major factor in this but do you guys have any tips on not getting a freaking global blackout on my planet all the time?

edit: Okay, so I've changed the energy hungry populace of my planet to semi-energy eaters and tossed a few attribute points into resource output,
    hopefully resulting in a less insanely difficult to manage race.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    all energy eating race

maybe use your support points to boost energy production? it takes a while to research into the second tier of production factories, so it's going to be pretty tough.

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Energy is a pain to deal with early on. Make sure to keep an eye on your both your planet's stats and your colony's income, and plan your construction queues accordingly. Don't be afraid to build up your power plants to higher levels than other structures if necessary.

Your colony's energy production won't be as much of a problem once it's time to start working on the third tier of structures - most of the cost of space stations is concentrated in organic and monetary. Minerals may or may not become a problem, depending on whether you play aggressively with your ships or not.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    At this point in the game, I have my race using 0 energy, 1 org, 2 min. Most of the colonies I've found are ridiculous mineral producers, and this setup keeps all the output pretty evenly balanced.

Dan, I've got a fleet sitting around doing nothing right now, I'll send em your way.

Edit: Ok, that's 67 hours away.

Six on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wish I knew why no planet I have can make battleships, when I have all the proper things researched and built. Something's not lining up somewhere...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I take it your planets have the necessary Orbital Shipyards up, yes?

Do your colonies also meet the requirements for constructing the components installed on the battleships you designed? Cryo Chambers require Orbital Biospheres in addition to the Orbital Shipyard, for instance. Transphasic Torpedos require Orbital Labs, and Plasma Shards require Solar Collectors.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's probably that. I don't know if I'm in the mood to double check every single requirement. x.x Soon though.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    support points for squatfurd!!! http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/2420 !!!

local flavor police on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ...Sorry for dragging this thing back from the grave, but the game apparently got a facelift and launched a new server a couple days ago. Anyone here want to see the WANG federation rise again?

Also, here's my referral link if you guys want to get a space conga line going. :P
    http://www.humugus.com/ds.php/auth/register/inv/451

Skulkraken on