As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Omegathon

SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
edited August 2005 in PAX Archive
Oh... My... God....

*pees pants in glee*

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
SmallLady on

• PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Yes yes yes, 776 NES plus more, I will also pee my pants

*I wasn't able to attend PAX, did they put the Omegathon on the DVD?

Pojaco on
  • LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Pojaco wrote:
    *I wasn't able to attend PAX, did they put the Omegathon on the DVD?

They better have it on film, as it was the most intense game of pong ever.

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
    edited June 2005
    I'd love to see each event in its entirety, which is asking a lot. I just wanna know before I plunk down 15 for the DVD.

Pojaco on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2005
    Do you have to pre-register for all three days to be entered in the omegathon, or does one day cut it?

Unknown User on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    all i know... is i want that collection so feraknig bad!

I know my chance of getting picked is oh so slim... but god damn...

god damn....

*jumps up and down*

SmallLady on
  • LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    kfo wrote:
    Do you have to pre-register for all three days to be entered in the omegathon, or does one day cut it?

The Omegathon spans all three days, so I'm guessing only those who pre-register for all three days can be drawn.

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Who's wharfrat420 (the winning bidder on the ebay auction)?

Whoever they are, sounds like a Grateful Dead fan. Good song.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Actually, he wasn't the winning bidder. Auction ended without a winner. So, basically Khoo probably called up the seller, or snuck in Splinter Cell style and dropped a nice check on the man's desk and took the games.

tmonkey on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Ah.

I still think this wharfrat guy is cool.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • beebs_basicbeebs_basic Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    so...just curious. what are the 10 games that are missing, and are G&T (or the mighty Khoo) trying to track those down to add to the prize?

does that 776 include just officially licensed games? or does it have the black cart 'bible adventures' and tengen stuff? (tengen had the black carts didn't they?)

beebs_basic on
    EvilBadman wrote:
    I still have no idea who they are. And I don't trust people with no avatars or sigs.

Happy?
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2005
    we're trying to track down the final 10, but we'll see what happens. We've got 2 of the missing 10 pegged thus far.

And yes, only 3-Day preregistrants are eligible to be chosen for the Omegathon.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited June 2005
    we're trying to track down the final 10, but we'll see what happens. We've got 2 of the missing 10 pegged thus far.

-robert

Any info on the 2004 Omegathon being on the PAX dvd?

Pojaco on
    edited June 2005
    The full Omegathon match isn't on the DVD- it's one of those experiences where you had to be there. :)

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    The full Omegathon match isn't on the DVD- it's one of those experiences where you had to be there. :)

Excuses, excuses...

Well, at least I was there. It was amazing.

-robert

So...if my girlfriend is chosen, would she be able to give her spot to me? Or would she have to just concede her spot to the next person and hope that I got chosen anyway? :|

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Is that the only part of the omega collection (mark 2)? Not that any hardcore nintendo fan won't want the ENTIRE nintendo collection. Im wondering if there is more...

-vis

Viscountalpha on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    Is that the only part of the omega collection (mark 2)? Not that any hardcore nintendo fan won't want the ENTIRE nintendo collection. Im wondering if there is more...

-vis
    Gabe wrote:
    This year the winner of the Ommegathon will win the ultimate NES collection. We’re even going to add some stuff to it to make it even crazier. We’ll get some pictures up as soon as we can.

Legacy on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2005

-robert
    Do you guys need any help finding those last 10 games?

You could always try to drop by a local GameCrazy and see if you can special order them. (That's if you don't mind if they're used...)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Now, are they going to have a ROB that comes with the system?

For reference: http://www.vidgame.net/NINTENDO/rob.htm

EDIT: Okay, now that I read the post, yes, yes it does.

I just watched the first Nintendo commerical online earlier, and the original marketing ploy had ROB the Family robot with it.

tmonkey on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Sounds like a pretty swete prize. It is hard to disagree with that.

Boy..I remember last year, expecting some cah-razy experience with the Omegathon. I thought it was going to be some unmissable event. But I only bothered to watch the first round, Diceland...from 3 stories up (they were in the lowest level, I was waiting in line for DDR). I think I spent more time with my hands pressed up against the glass that the prize was behind than the time spent watching the contest.

QuizMaster on
    edited July 2005
    QuizMaster wrote:
    Sounds like a pretty swete prize. It is hard to disagree with that.

Boy..I remember last year, expecting some cah-razy experience with the Omegathon. I thought it was going to be some unmissable event. But I only bothered to watch the first round, Diceland...from 3 stories up (they were in the lowest level, I was waiting in line for DDR). I think I spent more time with my hands pressed up against the glass that the prize was behind than the time spent watching the contest.

You should've caught the Pong match at the end.

THAT was some crazy experience...

Legacy on
  • WhitePantherWhitePanther Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    But how can they top it this year? The mystery game can't possibly be pong again, can it? Who wants to start the mystery game speculation thread 2? (I hate starting trendy threads :P)

WhitePanther on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Legacy wrote:

-vis
    Gabe wrote:
    This year the winner of the Ommegathon will win the ultimate NES collection. We’re even going to add some stuff to it to make it even crazier. We’ll get some pictures up as soon as we can.

ugh, how did i miss that, I probably clicked the link and left it at that :/

As far as specluation? Could be anything. And with MAME, it could be pushed even further to an obscure game that very few have heard.

-vis

Viscountalpha on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    When are omegathon contestants chosen?

TrainwreckX on
    edited July 2005
    soon.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    That is some ominous italics.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited July 2005
    Good luck to everyone who wants in the omegathon. I just hope I get a shot at that awesome prize.

Unknown User on
    edited July 2005
    Are the games listed anywhere yet? Or are the first few rounds same as last time?

TrainwreckX on
    edited July 2005
    Last night I got a call from Khoo and he asked me to be in the omegathon....

then god spit in my eye, when I woke up and realized that it was just a dream...
    :(

SmallLady on
    edited July 2005
    Did he, in your dream, tell you what games would be in the contest?

TrainwreckX on
    edited July 2005
    what's gonna be the list value of the nes collection prize?

if it's anything like what the ebay auction ended at, the winner is gonna owe a ton of taxes. probably owe something like $1500-3000! likely even more in taxes and customs taxes if the winner is a canadian.

i bet most people won't be able to afford that, so we'll just end up seeing pieces of the prize, if not the entire prize get put up on ebay again.

do you guys make the winner sign any forms to get the prize? hopefully not. if not, pick me please!

Unknown User on
    edited July 2005
    Actually... for us canucks... anything we win in the US is tax free for us. we don't pay US taxes or Canadian taxes on it. and as for customs.. you only pay duty on stuff you pay* for.
    So if any Canadians are in the omegathong this year... they are set!

(*as long as you can prove you didn't pay for it)

SmallLady on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    mondi wrote:
    what's gonna be the list value of the nes collection prize?

if it's anything like what the ebay auction ended at, the winner is gonna owe a ton of taxes. probably owe something like $1500-3000! likely even more in taxes and customs taxes if the winner is a canadian.

i bet most people won't be able to afford that, so we'll just end up seeing pieces of the prize, if not the entire prize get put up on ebay again.

do you guys make the winner sign any forms to get the prize? hopefully not. if not, pick me please!

It should be fairly easy to convince customs that they are used goods, free of taxation.

What was the final price on eBay for this lot? I don't remember.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    You're picking the Omeganauts after the now-extended 11th pre-reg close, right?

de4dmeta1 on
    edited July 2005
    de4dmeta1 wrote:

Omeganauts are Pre-Reg only, so...yes?

Legacy on
  • Daniel-sanDaniel-san Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    de4dmeta1 wrote:

That's the impression I've gotten. I wonder if they'll send it in the mailings a la Willy Wonka's Golden Tickets.

Daniel-san on
    Daniel Anzulovic
    Imperial-Colonial Pan-Continental Godless Money-Devil of the West
    http://www.mouselook.com
    edited July 2005
    correct.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    it's kind of hard to book airline tickets without knowing. I guess if I get picked, I'll just miss the last event

hehe

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    it's kind of hard to book airline tickets without knowing. I guess if I get picked, I'll just miss the last event

Oh don't do that.

Even though I didn't make it to the finals (lousy 2nd place tiebreaking match).....I still had to see how it came out between the two guys who had beaten me.

IF You're selected as an Omeganaut and IF You make it through the first few rounds....you'll want to be there until the end.

Trust me. :D

BTW....I'm still hoping to make it back in this year. See if my luck holds up for a second time.

JoshEEE on
    Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
    edited July 2005
    I Just had my phone unexpectedly shut off. I don't like the phone call thing and I don't like how we don't have the option to be in the omegathon or not. An email would be nice instead, i mean a whole month away. If your not checking your email once a week... well, whatever...

If tycho wants to call people who don't want to be in it and waste his precious time thats his perogative.

Viscountalpha on
    edited July 2005
    Hey JoshEEE!

Erik here, #8 with the long hair...

What you been up to?

Yeah, that one on one showdown kinda sucked. Sould have been a diffrent set up, but what can you do?

Come to think of it we got put out by the same person.

The Omegathon didn't REALLY end untill Dave and I had our post con DDR contest to see who would have won if we'd faced off. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So I'm going with my guess for the final from last year, Tetris all the way.

What do you think?

Unknown User on