As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MISC] Pre-Pre-PAX Events in Vancouver BC:

• Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, to be honest, you don't really go there for the arcade. I'm pretty sure their biggest draw is the mini-golf courses.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    TeenychickaTeenychicka Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Huzzah Vancouverites! Count me in for random festivities!

There's a lot of pitch and putts in the parks (QEP, Stanley, etc) so that could be an option as opposed to Castle Fun. I'd still rather go to Castle Fun and pretend I'm a pretty pretty princess with a lethal 9 iron.

Teenychicka on
    8502184533758290.gif OH YEAH!
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    FYI, you put Rock Band night on the 21st in the "event calendar" thing, and on the 28th on the event description.

edit: Rock Band night "officially" starts at 9 pm at Darby's, where they start giving out free beers for playing, etc. I'll most likely show up at 8 though and get a seat and whatnot. It's PS3 version, so bear that in mind if you want to bring your own controllers.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, I wont be going to the Rock Band night.

parabola on
  • Options
    AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    FYI, you put Rock Band night on the 21st in the "event calendar" thing, and on the 28th on the event description.

Whoops.... thats what cutting and pasting does to ya. Fixed.

Also added the start time. Is there a cover or drink minimum of any sort that I should post?

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is there a cover or drink minimum of any sort that I should post?

You have to drink at least as many drinks as it takes to make you sing...so that I don't have to.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh hai :]

I would love to come to the wing night if I can :D

Also, I know it doesn't look like it's still on the table, but count me in for paintball if that happens!

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    BadlcukBadlcuk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Generals wrote: »
    Is it some engineering school or what? Most university classes start right after labour day if I recall, especially for my case (BSc Physics).

No i just go to average ol' university running a BSc Comp Sci :( Like i said, id skip if i wasnt a fourth year...I need to go in for Academic Advising since Im missing a 200-level class. Snap.

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh btw put me down for the Rock Band night!

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I might be down for this stuff, but I won't know for sure until closer to the date due to work

Azio on
  • Options
    DiscoGobboDiscoGobbo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I will be at For the Wings.

DiscoGobbo on
    PSN ID : DiscoGobbo.
    Warrior | Mage
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alright, so I've updated the original post with a few extra events and I beleive I've added everyone who has posted so far. If you see an event in the OP you are not listed for and want to be added, please let me know.

For the Mini Golf vs Pitch and Putt debate everyone seems divided, so I've added both.

Turns out that there is a mini-putt course and driving range about 1km from Laser Dome at Seymour Creek Golf Centre. Accordingly I've slotted in both a mini golf and driving range event (6-8pm) and Laser Tag (9-12) for the same day; on Saturday August 22nd.

On Sunday August 23rd I've tentatively slotted in the Stanley Park Pitch and Putt for a more golf-esque experience. Silly pants are optional. Some form of pant-like-covering is required. If anyone wants to add in any other Stanley park activites that they would like to do that day, feel free to post suggestions.

I've also added a google map to the OP for all of the events.

For the other quasi-planned events I'm still looking for feedback on any ideas for the buffet/dinner and we'll probably do a bowling night but still need a set date for that as well. A day at Castle Fun Park is still on the table, but logistically we'll need a few drivers to volunteer to shuttle people from the Vancouver area to make it feasible. We can slot it in on any day that said drivers are available. The Paintball game is still floating around as well, however that may work best as a post pax event sometime in September. If anyone wants to post any specific movie nights (ie I'm going on 'x' night to see 'y' movie, who's coming?) or other such events let me know.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Annnd, I just came across two upcoming events at the Rio Theatre on Broadway.

Tuesday July 14th: They are doing a midnight screening of the new Harry Potter movie. If the movie isn't geeky enough for you on its own, they are encouraging cosplay and giving prizes out for the best costume. Personally I'm scared of cosplayer's so I won't be attending it by myself, however if any of you want to attend this as a group, then post here and I might show up.

Saturday August 8th: Second Level Wizards appear to be planning a Saturday Morning Cartoon party. Not a lot of details yet, but watch their site for more info.

Finally, although not really geeky, here's their lineup for their Friday Night Midnight Double Features this month:
    July 10th: Kill Bill Volume I & II
    July 17th: The Blob & Attack of The Killer Tomatoes
    July 24th: Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas & Naked Lunch
    July 31st: The Towering Inferno & The Swarm
    All double feature shows are usually $10 ($8 with costume when applicable)

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fear not AbsintheMinded, I'll go with you to the Harry Potter screening. Some of those double features sound pretty good too.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    NEEDS A COOL NAME GAMING NIGHT @ JIMZ GAMING LOUNGE 2.0 UPDATE:

(No, I still haven't though of a cool name. I'm just so cool that I don't want to commit to any name that isn't up to par with my coolness, cool?)

Jimz is open! We're penciled in for the evening of Friday August 28th. We should probably assemble a list of games we want to play. We also need to inform him of the number of confirmed guests as the date draws nearer. It is $7 an hour for the regular rate, but he will cut us some sort of deal again depending on the number of confirmed. Not sure how long we will be there... I believe last year was around 3 hours. I'll have to look at the old thread. Also, he still manages to operate his business with cash only, no debit or credit. Please update the OP accordingly.

---

I intend to go to the Saturday Morning Cartoon party. I heard the last ones were a blast. They sell tons of sugary cereals!

I also intend to wear my goofy knickers and cap if we go golfing. Just a heads up (FORE?!?).

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    I also intend to wear my goofy knickers and cap if we go golfing. Just a heads up (FORE?!?).

Sooooo.... does that mean you're in for the golf events? lol.

As I recall, the big games for Jimz last year were Mario Kart, SSB Brawl, and Boom Blox for the Wii and we got a bit of Halo 3 going on the XBox. I'm guessing they will be a safe bet again this year. Brawl especially. And ensuring there are sufficient Wiimotes and Nunchucks will be a priority. :winky:

I'll update the OP with info on this strange cash only thing....

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    rock band got played a decent amount too, and some sweet matches of Geometry Wars 2 :D

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »

Sooooo.... does that mean you're in for the golf events? lol.

As I recall, the big games for Jimz last year were Mario Kart, SSB Brawl, and Boom Blox for the Wii and we got a bit of Halo 3 going on the XBox. I'm guessing they will be a safe bet again this year. Brawl especially. And ensuring there are sufficient Wiimotes and Nunchucks will be a priority. :winky:

I'll update the OP with info on this strange cash only thing....

Can you bring your own accessories? If so I'm bringing a GCN controller, because holy fuck is SSBB annoying to play with the wiimote.

I will bring Boom Blox again...

Hopefully grifball works this time.

parabola on
  • Options
    MeetTheHeavyMeetTheHeavy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GUYS you need to make a Seattle Lazer Dome event too!

MeetTheHeavy on
    16404.gif
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    Except that their events are in Vancouver.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2009

Hrm, that's the place in Seattle that still does those nifty 70's Laser Light Shows set to Pink Floyd music right?

Might be a little out of our area code.... but you could mention that place to the Cookie Brigade people. Considering the demographic that such a show would usually draw, they could sell any left over cookies there at a premium after PAX ends on Sunday. :winky:

I should point out that we do have similar Laser Shows here in Vancouver at the Planetarium, in Vanier Park. The Planetarium is at The HR MacMillan Space Centre, which is next to the Vancouver Maritime Museum and Vancouver (Apparently Land Related) Museum. The museum and space centre are geek-centric enough to consider as possible places to visit, but I originally neglected to bring up Laser Light Shows, as doing a group event there would only further perpetuate our only partially deserved reputation as the Pothead Mecca of Canada.

The museums however are more of a touristy destination, but if anyone wants to do a tourist trap tour of Vancouver we can always plan a day at Vanier Park and Granville Island. In addition if we get a few more out-of-towners like Ninjowned, DiscoGobbo and Asiina around on Wednesday (or earlier in the week) we can can probably fit in some extra touristy goodness, like Capilano Park, Grouse or the ever popular tour of Wreck Beach. I'm off work on Wednesday the 2nd so I'm more than happy to play the part of tour guide.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    Fear not AbsintheMinded, I'll go with you to the Harry Potter screening. Some of those double features sound pretty good too.

So is anyone else interested in seeing a certain wizard slain at the Midnight Premiere tomorrow night? I'm fairly certain there are still some tickets available. The Rio (sadly) doesn't sell out often.

Once again they are giving out prizes for best costume.... so I expect the crowd to be as entertaining as the movie.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If only I wasn't a procrastinator and had my triwizard costume ready. :S (although I doubt I will have one by pax seeing as even my button design is still in the works.)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    If only I wasn't a procrastinator and had my triwizard costume ready. :S (although I doubt I will have one by pax seeing as even my button design is still in the works.)

Don't feel too bad.... I'm still trying to come up with my button design for PAX08.

Maybe I'll come up with one in time for PAX East. :mrgreen:

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This seems like the most appropriate place to put this since this thread seems aimed at Vancouver area people. We (Gamedeals) are throwing a PAX party on the Friday night (of PAX) in one of the (very) nearby hotels (I won't say on a public forum). If you guys are looking for a party, stop by our store (407 Columbia St. New Westminster) or email me at info@gamedeals.ca and leave your name & cell number (so I can text you on the Friday with the room number & details), or email address if you'll be checking it from PAX. I will try to make it out to some of the events you guys are running, but it's too soon to know for sure... I do like Lazer Tag, Mini Golf & That Mongolie place on Davie.

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This seems like the most appropriate place to put this since this thread seems aimed at Vancouver area people. We (Gamedeals) are throwing a PAX party on the Friday night (of PAX) in one of the (very) nearby hotels (I won't say on a public forum). If you guys are looking for a party, stop by our store (407 Columbia St. New Westminster) or email me at info@gamedeals.ca and leave your name & cell number (so I can text you on the Friday with the room number & details), or email address if you'll be checking it from PAX. I will try to make it out to some of the events you guys are running, but it's too soon to know for sure... I do like Lazer Tag, Mini Golf & That Mongolie place on Davie.

Dude! I live in New West, and only just heard about your shop a few weeks ago. I'm up for anything being organized by a local :)

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MeetTheHeavyMeetTheHeavy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Hrm, that's the place in Seattle that still does those nifty 70's Laser Light Shows set to Pink Floyd music right?

Might be a little out of our area code.... but you could mention that place to the Cookie Brigade people. Considering the demographic that such a show would usually draw, they could sell any left over cookies there at a premium after PAX ends on Sunday. :winky:

I should point out that we do have similar Laser Shows here in Vancouver at the Planetarium, in Vanier Park. The Planetarium is at The HR MacMillan Space Centre, which is next to the Vancouver Maritime Museum and Vancouver (Apparently Land Related) Museum. The museum and space centre are geek-centric enough to consider as possible places to visit, but I originally neglected to bring up Laser Light Shows, as doing a group event there would only further perpetuate our only partially deserved reputation as the Pothead Mecca of Canada.

The museums however are more of a touristy destination, but if anyone wants to do a tourist trap tour of Vancouver we can always plan a day at Vanier Park and Granville Island. In addition if we get a few more out-of-towners like Ninjowned, DiscoGobbo and Asiina around on Wednesday (or earlier in the week) we can can probably fit in some extra touristy goodness, like Capilano Park, Grouse or the ever popular tour of Wreck Beach. I'm off work on Wednesday the 2nd so I'm more than happy to play the part of tour guide.

If you guys are coming to PAX, who cares? :P
    There's also daft punk :D

MeetTheHeavy on
    16404.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Anyone planning anything before the 10th of August?
    Im going to be housesitting in Vancouver and I'd like to take advantage of the small amount of time im on the north side of the Massey Tunnel.

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Badlcuk wrote: »
    Anyone planning anything before the 10th of August?
    Im going to be housesitting in Vancouver and I'd like to take advantage of the small amount of time im on the north side of the Massey Tunnel.

1) That Sea Kaying Trip I mentioned earlier got delayed a bit and it will be happening this coming weekend.

2) The Saturday Morning Cartoon Party at the Rio Theatre will be on August 8th (they haven't set a time yet).

3) No other group plans set yet but if you have anything you'd like to do (midnight double features at Rio, other movies, Improv Theatre, Museums, Galleries, or anything else that hasn't been brought up) I'm sure someone else will be up for it. Depending on my work schedule, I'm pretty much always up for anything (with enough notice, so as to not have other plans :winky: lol).

4) Since you're missing FTW we can use that as an excuse to do a smaller gathering at Wings.... any excuse is a good excuse for a wings night! :mrgreen:

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    4) Since you're missing FTW we can use that as an excuse to do a smaller gathering at Wings.... any excuse is a good excuse for a wings night! :mrgreen:

Im actually really interested in checking out a pub/bar downtown ive never been to. Right now im on a big beer kick so Im checking out Steamworks this week with a few friends (id like to find more microbreweries). Any good places you can recommend?

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Granville Island Brewery has tours for I think $10 per person and they give you 4 pitchers of beer at the end. I believe tours are at 2 and 4pm ?

Its nice when you can get down there and there isn't many people, because even with a few people they still give you the 4 pitchers of beer. This time of year, you'll have a full group, which I think is 10-12.

I'm 10 mins away from there and I'd definitely be down for beer.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Im actually really interested in checking out a pub/bar downtown ive never been to. Right now im on a big beer kick so Im checking out Steamworks this week with a few friends (id like to find more microbreweries). Any good places you can recommend?

I'm not a very big beer drinker, more of a hard liquor fan.... however:

Ganville Island:
    Dockside Brewing Company
    Granville Island Brewery

Downtown:
    Yaletown Brewing Company
    DIX BBQ and Brewery

Those are the Vancouver Microbreweries/Brewpubs I'm aware of, other than Steamworks. Yaletown is the one I tend to visit the most, they have relatively decent food to go with their various brews. DIX and Dockside have pretty good menus as well, though Dockside ends up being a little more touristy this time of year.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the cambie is pretty good, lots of interesting characters and the house beer is cheap

Azio on
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I hate to drop the ball, but I think I've gotta pass on organizing bowling. I've had some personal stuff come up, my husband is working 50+ hours a week right now, I've got two kids under 3 at home, and I'm already committed to organizing and baking cookies for the Cookie Brigade. Sorry guys.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    the cambie is pretty good, lots of interesting characters and the house beer is cheap

Didnt know they had a house! Yeah i remember going down there last summer but im always a bit afraid to park my car....

Hah. Thanks guys.... I have some trouble googling being a woman and all ;)
    (Just teasing)
    But yes Ive covered those! too bad.

Badlcuk on
    xox

Badlcuk
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hah. Thanks guys.... I have some trouble googling being a woman and all ;)
    (Just teasing)
    But yes Ive covered those! too bad.

Bah whose googling! :P

Yeah google will probably give up at least another dozen brewpubs/microbreweries in the lower mainland. The four I listed (along with Steamworks) are the only five I've been to.

I live close enough to Downtown that I tend to usually only venture out to places in the metro area. Accordingly you've probably been to most of the pubs that I have.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So Parabola remined me today that people from a couple of other countries have come to Vancouver and are attempting to blow up our sky over the next week.

South Africa Night: Saturday July 26th
    United Kingdom Night: Wednesday July 29th
    China Night: Saturday August 1st

Anyone have an interest in watching pretty lights in the sky on any of those nights?

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    might be going next wednesday

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    might be going next wednesday

I might also be out on Wednesday with a few other folks. If you decide to go let me know.
    chibidani wrote: »
    So, I hate to drop the ball, but I think I've gotta pass on organizing bowling.

I'm sure it wasn't intended but, that turned out to be a really corny pun. lol. :P

No worries, gotta do what you gotta do.... and feeding hungry PAXers in line is way more important than bowling. Then again I'm not a big fan of bowling, but I am a big fan of cookies, so my opinion on that is probably biased. :mrgreen:

I'll leave the bowling event open in case someone else wants to pick up the ball (presumably to throw it at some pins).

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Things Theros Can Probably Make It To:

ZOMGGoLFPUTTPUTT DAY 1.0
    Needs A Cool Name Gaming Night
    PAX FTW! Night

Things Theros Can't Make It To:

Rock Band Night (work at the asscrack of dawn saturdays)
    ZOMGLAzERPEWPEW NIGHT 2.0 (work at the asscrack of dawn sundays too)
    The Pre Pax Open 1.0 (Cannot attend if before 4PM)

I will not know for sure until the week of due to my craptarded work schedule, but I am unlikely to be working evenings. Huzzah?

Theros on
This discussion has been closed.