As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout Thread: Old Fallout thread, move along.

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In a word, no.

freakish light on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd never played the first two games and I've been spending some time on Youtube... and all I can say is that their soundtracks are at least ten times better than the shit we got in FO3. I mean it never really bothered me before but damn, now that I know what we could (should) have had in this game it makes me a little bit pissed off.

The only real standout tracks were the opening and Citadel themes. On the older games they're all that good.

Duffel on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I'd never played the first two games and I've been spending some time on Youtube... and all I can say is that their soundtracks are at least ten times better than the shit we got in FO3. I mean it never really bothered me before but damn, now that I know what we could (should) have had in this game it makes me a little bit pissed off.

They certainly were better at getting music to set a local than it seems they have in FO3. Then again, they couldn't do as much with the look of the place, so they had the oprotunity to focus on the bacground sounds and music.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »

They certainly were better at getting music to set a local than it seems they have in FO3. Then again, they couldn't do as much with the look of the place, so they had the oprotunity to focus on the bacground sounds and music.

Doesn't work like that. 2d graphics take just as much time/effort as 3d.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Broken Steel and what's the second best DL Pack. I can only get 2

Algertman on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The only real standout tracks were the opening and Citadel themes. On the older games they're all that good.

Rivet City has an excellent theme, I think.

But when I wander around the wasteland, I swear I hear the first few bars of an Oblivion song.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    Broken Steel and what's the second best DL Pack. I can only get 2
    Point Lookout's great if you love getting your ass kicked.

The Pitt was fun, and has great loot. Some of the stuff you've got to do to get it is obnoxious, though.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Eh, while I'm not a programer, I'm certain that it took more hours and man power to take care of all the non music portions of Fallout 3 than it did for the non music parts of Fallout 1 or 2.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Does FO3 have the depth of writing for the int < 3 crowd that the first two games had? I should make one of those guys.

No.

You don't even say wubba for christ sake. You just talk normal except for a very few rare instances where something might come of it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Eh, while I'm not a programer, I'm certain that it took more hours and man power to take care of all the non music portions of Fallout 3 than it did for the non music parts of Fallout 1 or 2.

Games are bigger productions these days. Fallout 3 is a bigger game than Fallout, by far. What I'm getting at is, they have more resources in fallout 3. And actually, some of Fallout 3's music is actually really good. Its just the overworld and battle themes that are generic, and you hear them the most.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBjeLiWhek
    This is what happens when you come back with the waterchip with a retard in F1

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Frankly I don't even remember the soundtracks, aside from the songs that played during the intro credits (both awesome.) Aside from that it was mostly just 'ambiance' music, iirc.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Frankly I don't even remember the soundtracks, aside from the songs that played during the intro credits (both awesome.) Aside from that it was mostly just 'ambiance' music, iirc.
    Here's a few examples of some of the music from Fallout. Fallout 2 mostly recycled music in addition to other assets.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5RsgMo_i3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6suxMoU7_M

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Raiders is probably my favorite piece from Fallout 1/2.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just as a note, the Fallout soundtack is easily acquired, and can be played on either the PC or Console version of Fallout 3. On the latter, just put it on a flashdrive and plug it in to the USB port.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish there was a mongloid option in FO3

Fuck it I'm getting FO2 off GOG. God fucking dammit Fallout is eating my goddamn soul. Shitcocks.

Robman on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    ...mongoloid? Honestly?

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ...mongoloid? Honestly?

Yea, technically FO3 does have mongoloid characters. I think you’re just using the term wrong. Stupid does not make mongoloid. :P

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, got The Pitt/ OA disc, now I have all the current DLC. :D Next character's totally going to be evil melee, stealth suit ahoy!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ...mongoloid? Honestly?

Yea, technically FO3 does have mongoloid characters. I think you’re just using the term wrong. Stupid does not make mongoloid. :P

Well, "mongoloid" is an archaic term (no longer used for obvious reasons) to describe a mentally challenged person.

On the other hand, no respectable sociologists or anthropologists would use "mongoloid" in the sense it used to be used (someone with stereotypically Asiatic features); the old trichotomy of Mongoloid/Caucasoid/Negroid has fallen into disuse because there's very few ethnicities that fit into such narrow categories.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I apologize to all the Mongolians out there. I love Mongolian beef. It is my favorite Asian food.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Reilly:
    Do I have to wake her to get into the Reilly's Ranger compound, or is there another way in?

And a little south of that:
    Crazy guy on loud speaker, talking about his sun and the worm. Is there a way to do anything about it? Aside from telling that poor wastelander to run into a minefield?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's definitely worth waking up Reilly
    The quest where you save her rangers gets you some pimping armour, or an awesome unique minigun.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    The quest where you save her rangers gets you some pimping armour, or an awesome unique minigun.

So are the two obvious solutions the only ones?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I think so, yeah. You don't have to do it but bring a fission battery for that quest too. That should help without spoiling anything.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I could put one thing into FO3 other than greatly expanded quest options and dialog choices, it would be a viable stupid playthrough.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If I could put one thing into FO3 other than greatly expanded quest options and dialog choices, it would be a viable stupid playthrough.

Eh they did have a valid excuse for not putting it in, having to record unique dialog for every NPC you can interact with would be terribly expensive.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

I think so, yeah. You don't have to do it but bring a fission battery for that quest too. That should help without spoiling anything.

Good to know, thank you

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A thought occurred to me regarding the plasma weapons in Fallout 3. Now, although some designs of weaponry were kept from Fallout 1 and 2, the plasma weapons are dramatically different. They look like experimental prototypes rather than the finished product we see in Fallout 1 and 2. Though the Enclave could certainly design such a weapon, the Institute that Dr. Zimmer hails from seems to make the same type of plasma weapon.

Replicated Man spoilers;
    Obviously I'm talking about AR-21's Plasma Rifle.

Could it be that the Enclave and the Institute worked together either overtly or covertly to design far more portable plasma weaponry? I for one think it could make for some really neat DLC or perhaps a tale to be told in a future Fallout. The Institute has been mentioned plenty of times in Fallout 3, and to think that they're somehow involved with the Enclave would be an interesting touch.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Eh they did have a valid excuse for not putting it in, having to record unique dialog for every NPC you can interact with would be terribly expensive.

They just hire the same fucking five guys for an extra day?

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well when you already record 20 hours of dialog for old guy #6 another 20 and I'd be asking for a raise too.:lol:

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A thought occurred to me regarding the plasma weapons in Fallout 3. Now, although some designs of weaponry were kept from Fallout 1 and 2, the plasma weapons are dramatically different. They look like experimental prototypes rather than the finished product we see in Fallout 1 and 2. Though the Enclave could certainly design such a weapon, the Institute that Dr. Zimmer hails from seems to make the same type of plasma weapon.

Replicated Man spoilers;

Could it be that the Enclave and the Institute worked together either overtly or covertly to design far more portable plasma weaponry? I for one think it could make for some really neat DLC or perhaps a tale to be told in a future Fallout. The Institute has been mentioned plenty of times in Fallout 3, and to think that they're somehow involved with the Enclave would be an interesting touch.

I think you're reading too much into the reuse of a game model.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Okay first they have to rewrite almost every single line of dialog. This is significant work for the writers and would effectively close to double the time it takes to write any quest. Then they have to record all these new lines, which pretty much doubles the time it takes to record everything. Keep in mind voice actors also entail a writer sitting there coaching the actors, and studio time for the microphones, and audio engineers to clean up the files, and then someone has to get the sound file into the game and clip it to the right length and stuff, and then this all has to go on the disc which perhaps becomes troublesome.

Then they have to have different facial expressions in each conversation because of course when talking to an idiot the NPC will often get angry, so the scripter or coder or animator or whoever does that gets twice as much work for every conversation, and finally they get to write all new lines for the player in every case.

And this is IGNORING the IMMENSE work it takes to make the game function so that a mildy retarded PC could realistically accept and subsequently complete the more complex quests.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

Replicated Man spoilers;

I think you're reading too much into the reuse of a game model.

Probably. It just seems to me it would be a neat excuse to have the Enclave involved with the Institute somehow.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

i'm sure its tough to record retard specific lines for the 3 voice actors they used for everything not counting the father.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Okay first they have to rewrite almost every single line of dialog. This is significant work for the writers and would effectively close to double the time it takes to write any quest. Then they have to record all these new lines, which pretty much doubles the time it takes to record everything. Keep in mind voice actors also entail a writer sitting there coaching the actors, and studio time for the microphones, and audio engineers to clean up the files, and then someone has to get the sound file into the game and clip it to the right length and stuff, and then this all has to go on the disc which perhaps becomes troublesome.

Then they have to have different facial expressions in each conversation because of course when talking to an idiot the NPC will often get angry, so the scripter or coder or animator or whoever does that gets twice as much work for every conversation, and finally they get to write all new lines for the player in every case.

And this is IGNORING the IMMENSE work it takes to make the game function so that a mildy retarded PC could realistically accept and subsequently complete the more complex quests.

It was really more of a cheap shot at the VA than actually being an argument for more dialogue.

Honestly I think the idea of going full VA was a bad one for the series because it forces stuff like this.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I for one am completely comfortable with unvoiced dialog, or maybe just the most critical lines of dialog being voiced and everything else just being unvoiced.

But I guess I'm a minority. I'd rather read a ton of text than hear a tiny amount of dialog.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

It was really more of a cheap shot at the VA than actually being an argument for more dialogue.

Honestly I think the idea of going full VA was a bad one for the series because it forces stuff like this.

The whole point of a retard run is you cant do 90% of the quests

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Hopefully they will get the original soundtrack artist back for New Vegas. Though honestly, the fallout 1 music has more then a passing resemblance to some of aphex twin's ambient work.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have recently downloaded Fallout 3 Reanimated. It changes a few idle animations, looks really awesome.

Also, the pistol idle animation is badass.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png