As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer 40,000] ... And I say "Space Wolf? That's my wife!"

• Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chessex dude rules.

Paid him Monday. He shipped my dice Tuesday.

And now there is a pile of dice sitting on my table, being sexy.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I played slaneesh marines/deamons I'd get some dice with boobs
    or a penis
    or both
    :winky:

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just realized I haven't played a single ganme of 40K since March....

Just goes to show what a timesink a new baby is. On th plus side' I have traded lots of miniatures I wasn't using for new stuff to paint when I can find the time.

Although my mother is visiting this weekend, maybe I can get in a quick Friday night game and sleep in on Saturday....

Well, I can hope.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright someone is going to have to fill me in as to where people are getting these amazing dice. I can't find the link to them.

Speaking of which, I wasn't able to make up my mind about which die type I wanted, and the chessex bloke was kind enough to make me one of each. Which of the two do y'all like the best so I can narrow down my choices?
    DSCN4679.jpg
    DSCN4680.jpg

Oooh! Those turned out really well!

I think I like the gold.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm rather liking the gold too. The lustrous style of that die is a really nice look. I'm thinking the ninja/silver just doesn't quite work (they didn't have any black silver schemes for the custom dice that I liked besides that one)

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Def. go with the gold

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gold vote.

TheBog on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guard Lumbering Behemoth question.

If a Russ is moving at combat speed it can fire one weapon and all defensive weapons. Lumbering Behemoth says I can fire the turret weapon (in this case a battlecannon) + whatever weapons I would normally be able to fire. So Lets say that Russ has plasma cannon sponsons. Those aren't defensive weapons, but I can still fire a single non-defensive weapon. Does that count both sponsons or just one sponson?

TheBog on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Close enough to unanimous for me. Gold it is!
    It matches my land raider.
    100_2682.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TheBog wrote: »

If a Russ is moving at combat speed it can fire one weapon and all defensive weapons. Lumbering Behemoth says I can fire the turret weapon (in this case a battlecannon) + whatever weapons I would normally be able to fire. So Lets say that Russ has plasma cannon sponsons. Those aren't defensive weapons, but I can still fire a single non-defensive weapon. Does that count both sponsons or just one sponson?

As far as I'm aware, both sponsons always count as individual weapons for all cases but purchasing them.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I preferred silver, but if the gold matches your symbol already, go gold.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited July 2009
    Well, silver matches the rhino :D
    d7d1f234.jpg
    and I would've much preferred a black and silver die, but the mottled grey was the best looking set of that color available for custom dice, and I'm finding I like the more complex coloration of the other die better.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MY DICE ARE HERE! WEEE!

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One thing people very rarely consider is how much time playtesting takes. If GW internet geniuses had things there way, yes, we'd be lucky if we got one codex a year. Just ignoring rules development and testing, you'd end up with something like: IG - make an extreme tank, extreme infantry, and balanced list for 500, 750, 1k, 1.5k, 2k and 3k. Test each list against all other armies. Weigh the results, make alterations to the rules, and try again.

Quality of playtesting is also important. They ran Hard Boys, and so they have a list of the people who run the meanest lists with the meanest tactics. Have any of these people been brought on board? Of course not. Magic only made progress on this front by embracing it's abusers, so to speak.

Counterspin on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God. I'm going to be buying some of the new Demolishers and Hellhounds, aren't I?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited July 2009
    I've bought one of each. That will be all.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited July 2009
    God. I'm going to be buying some of the new Demolishers and Hellhounds, aren't I?

I know where you can get a hellhound on the cheap! :winky::winky:

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So after crushing my friends as the attacker 3 times, my next game is defending. 3 or 4 objectives, 1 sky pad at 2500 pts. The attacker is space marines.

This is what I'm thinking of taking. Thoughts?

- edit -
    I was organizing my web server the other night and realized I've stock piled a lot of lists over the past few years.

http://shiftedmatrix.com/lists/

I like how you can watch the progression of my ork army :P

Sharp101 on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed that you were talking about a 2000 point list ~since that's about average for most big games~, Which requires 460 additional points to be sunk into minimum force organization, bringing the total up to 1805. But hey you want rez orbs, scythes and a destroyer body too don't you? so in total that comes up to 1935. With 65 points to spare, you can get yourself 3 more warriors or 5 scarab bases.

All of which leaves you with roughly 46 models and a phase out number of about 35. Not hard when you get assaulted by fisting jump marines, shot with battle cannons, out flanked by Genestealers, targeted with plamsa cannon devestator squads or mauled by arco flaggelants.:lol:

Not only was I talking abotu 2k points, but the destroyer-heavy force is infinitely more viable for actually winning games than a monolith trio, or pretty much most any other Necron army list out there, possibly barring one that trades destroyers for immortals.

SJ on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    no KFF for the mek sharp?
    or a SAG?

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish Pariahs were a good choice for Necrons. I'd love to run them, but Terminator points for something that ignores your fun rules and every gun gets instantly pointed at? Es no bueno.

Moridin889 on
  • Commissar DemosthenesCommissar Demosthenes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Would anyone be up for a game through Vassal later this week? I'm just getting into the hobby and I want to try a few practice games before plunking down hundreds of dollars on little plastic men.

Commissar Demosthenes on
    Steam name: Chicago Ted.
    96cce.png
    oh god I am not good at battlefield
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »
    no KFF for the mek sharp?
    or a SAG?

Oh damn. I forgot to buy the KFF. Fixed that by dropping a Git for points.

Sharp101 on
    edited July 2009
    Nax wrote: »

It's not a new one though.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Would anyone be up for a game through Vassal later this week? I'm just getting into the hobby and I want to try a few practice games before plunking down hundreds of dollars on little plastic men.

I thought Vassal was shuting down later this month or next?

I could tell you that space marines are the cheapest army to buy because of the shear number around you can buy

Brainleech on
    edited July 2009
    Nax wrote: »

It's not a new one though.

Shhhhh

Nax on
    edited July 2009
    Brainleech wrote: »

I thought Vassal was shuting down later this month or next?

I could tell you that space marines are the cheapest army to buy because of the shear number around you can buy

servers aren't shutting down.. just the website, and there will be no further updates, as I understand it

Nax on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So tonight we did a planet strike game I played against a friend of mine who had never played it before, I ended up pretty much destroying him without taking many casualties. After the game we were all discussing the way we use walls (count them as an intact building and have to destroy them to get to the bastions). Well the ork player when I went to give my opinion said "Ziac you have won every planet strike game" Now I don't think this discounts my opinion on it. I have won one defense and three attacks.

So PA here is the list I have been using, is it incredibly cheesy and my experience defending discounted? I know it is a strong list and I won't say its weak but is it a bit too much?

2000 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Unnamed

20 Gaunt Brood @ 160 Pts
    Spinefists; Without Number

1 Carnifex @ 204 Pts
    Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bonded Exoskeleton; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Reinforced Chitin; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Tusked; Crushing Claws; Scything Talons (x1)

1 Carnifex @ 214 Pts
    Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bonded Exoskeleton; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Reinforced Chitin; Tail Weapon - Scythe; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Tusked; Crushing Claws; Scything Talons (x1)

1 Carnifex @ 172 Pts
    Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bonded Exoskeleton; Reinforced Chitin; Tail Weapon - Scythe; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Tusked; Scything Talons (x2)

1 Carnifex @ 113 Pts
    Scything Talons (x1); Barbed Strangler

1 Carnifex @ 113 Pts
    Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Twin-linked Devourer (x2)

1 Carnifex @ 113 Pts
    Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Twin-linked Devourer (x2)

8 Genestealers @ 200 Pts
    Extended Carapace +1 Save; Feeder Tendrils; Rending Claws; Scything Talons

8 Genestealers @ 200 Pts
    Extended Carapace +1 Save; Feeder Tendrils; Rending Claws; Scything Talons

1 Hive Tyrant @ 197 Pts
    Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Winged; Scything Talons (x2); Synapse Creature; The Horror; Warp Field

1 Hive Tyrant @ 154 Pts
    Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Lash Whip & Bonesword; Scything Talons (x1); Synapse Creature; The Horror

20 Gaunt Brood @ 160 Pts
    Spinefists; Without Number

Total Roster Cost: 2000

Created with Army Builder
    Copyright (c) 1997-2006 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. All rights reserved.

In one game I had 6000 points pretty much double this list with a LOT more genestealers. My general tactic is throw the gaunts out there quick, pick the board edge that gets me closest to the walls, and the bastions my close combat fex's run in and destroy it. My gaunts that are screening my stealers and tyrant move out against any defender units that are far away. Now when the gaunts die they come back on and head directly to lock down objectives.

Should the gaunts not die in time I throw a dakka fex to hold an objective while I continue pushing on the defenders. Now is my list winning these games? Is it cheesy? What are your experiences defending, like I said I have won one defending game and that was with a nid playing partner.

Ziac45 on
    edited July 2009
    What kinds of walls are these that have to be destroyed to go through?

Hey SJ, did you have those leftover kroot bits I was looking for?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/PlanetStrike1/01011462.JPG.html

The grey things are the walls we use when we play at Mystery shadows house, we use corner building ruins as walls tonight at Johns house. But they count as the same.

Ziac45 on
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, my first time painting in a few years, and I was never good.

I've decided that I'm never really going to be a painter, so I'm going to be a dirty cheater and use this product to make my stuff not look like total crap.

I painted a test Ork Boy tonight to see about a color scheme. I think it's OK, but I'm not in love with it. Something is...missing, or off or something.

Before the dip:
    beforedip1.th.jpg

beforedip2.th.jpg

beforedip3.th.jpg

After the dip (I would use a matte varnish when this finished drying; right now, it's just a test, so no reason to finish it):
    afterdip1.th.jpg

afterdip2.th.jpg

The product does a better job than I was expecting. The problems I see in the picture are from me sucking at painting, which will hopefully get better in time.

Just looking at the color scheme, any comments on how to improve it? I'm going for an Evil Sunz themed army, so red is good.

Thanks!

Karilmat on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ohhhhh maaaaannnnn that is a board set up on a ping-pong table

that brings back some memories

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    TheBog wrote: »

As far as I'm aware, both sponsons always count as individual weapons for all cases but purchasing them.

Well, you destroy ONE sponson with a Weapon Destroyed result....

Plasma Weaponry is too high a Strength to be considered a DEFENSIVE weapon, so IMHO I would say you could fire ONE Sponson. Someone please correct me if my logic is flawed.

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
    edited July 2009
    Each sponson counts as a seperate weapon, so yes, you could fire the turret, and then _one_ sponson.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Which I guess doesn't mean much, since nothing kills Land Raiders save for Multimeltas.

Monsterous Creatures don't seem to be too bad a choice....

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Shiiiiit, I forgot to look today and I'm not at home. I will check tomorrow though!

SJ on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    8 Pages in 3 days!!

Anon the Felon on
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    8 Pages in 3 days!!

More like 49 hours, so closer to 2 days. :P

Karilmat on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    Maybe I should write the next OP.

"In the 44th Millennium there is only Tyranid"

*list of extinct prey species*

Echo on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Karilmat wrote: »
    8 Pages in 3 days!!

More like 49 hours, so closer to 2 days. :P

I'm not sure if thats better or worse. I have kind of stopped watching this thread, mostly because by the time I get to it, and read all the new replies, I'm pages behind the times. If I want to reply to something I saw earlier, it feels kind of lame to drag up a post 4 pages back just to say "Hey, thats cool!"

Total bummer dude.

Edit: Very weak Top of the Page.

Anon the Felon on