As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout Thread: Old Fallout thread, move along.

• Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I for one am completely comfortable with unvoiced dialog, or maybe just the most critical lines of dialog being voiced and everything else just being unvoiced.

But I guess I'm a minority. I'd rather read a ton of text than hear a tiny amount of dialog.

Yeah, usually when I'm done with reading what they have to say they've only said a few words and it's in the same voice I've heard a billion times before.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Okay Mr Neeson, great take...now lets try it as if your son was retarded."

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

:^:

Antithesis on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antithesis wrote: »

Best part would be during the opening sequence
    if they let you do your stats before you are born, then playing with 1int would result in daddy picking up the baby to show the mother, only to drop the baby on its head. That'd be fucking great

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

if they let you do your stats before you are born, then playing with 1int would result in daddy picking up the baby to show the mother, only to drop the baby on its head. That'd be fucking great

:^::^::^::^::^:

Joolander on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    FO3 has its fair share of bugs, but sometimes they pay off:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/Hesh1990/ScreenShot6.jpg

right as I zoned in, this Talon merc comes flying through the air, already dead, and slams into the wall. There was no reason for it to happen.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

right as I zoned in, this Talon merc comes flying through the air, already dead, and slams into the wall. There was no reason for it to happen.

What you didn't see was the Behemoth he encountered earlier.

Think of it as "Mutie Baseball".

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I often see a random creature flying through the air outside. Usually they seem to be protectrons though.

Once I was super lucky when I shot a YaoGuai from the side in the head as it was charging full speed. In slow-mo the head came off and flew hundreds of feet into the air and thousands horizontally. Wish I had a video of it.

One thing I do have video of is popping someone's head off and the body slumps to the ground then the brain, eyes, and jaw bits all fall down directly onto the body in a nice pile from somewhere above.

Also: I remember someone saying something about a mod or utility that helps organize and optimize fallout 3 to work with many mods, but it wasn't Fallout Mod Manager. Anyone help me out?

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Joolander wrote: »

:^::^::^::^::^:

oh god yes

and the learning to walk sequence would be delayed until you were 7

Nuzak on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OKay, but the real question is....
    When do we get Lego Fallout?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OKay, but the real question is....
    When do we get Lego Fallout?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urkJzClByHs

fallout.jpg

3078212340_9f6cb257c9.jpg

lego-fallout.jpg

lego.jpg

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Can't see the Youtube vid, but I'm not surprised at the depths to which nerddom has sunk.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    It's definitely worth waking up Reilly
    The quest where you save her rangers gets you some pimping armour, or an awesome unique minigun.

So are the two obvious solutions the only ones?

I think so, yeah. You don't have to do it but bring a fission battery for that quest too. That should help without spoiling anything.

You don't have to wake Riley to do the rangers quest,
    you can activate it by stumbling past the right building and picking up their distress signal on your pipboy radio. You then have the option of going to find riley or just wading in and saving the rangers while she slumbers. Both lead to the same conclusion although waking Riley first does give you the opportunity to get their base of weapons and ammo while there is no one around to stop you. With permission, even.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    3078212340_9f6cb257c9.jpg

adorable!

so i was experimenting in geck with the
    tesla cannon
    , trying to get the damn thing to work as intended
    i recently found out that its also supposed to arc from person to person, and also destroy a vertibird s in one hit

anyway, trying to correct this, i fired up the game with the latest build and tested it. i got it to continually shock the anyone in its area of effect until they die or use a healing item. which is great for enclave and things of that nature

i fired this same device on Fawkes (after giving him stimpaks, thining he would heal himself like the enclave do). what i got was a statically charged super mutantchasing chasing me around and shocking me with bolts of lightning. i wish i had video of it

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What is going on in that last picture? That isn't Fallout, is it?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, excuse me if this has already been posted, I couldn't find anything via search.
    I just found the most authentic fallout game since fallout 2 i think :D

You might balk when I mention it's an mmo. I discovered it about 15 minutes ago, so far it seems great.
    great = fallout art + fo2 combat + fo style music + feels very authentic overall .. if you can excuse the abominable translation.

looks like its been around awhile, so forgive me if this is common knowledge to you.

Krai Mira <- weird name
    free to play, near as I can tell. Account creation instant etc.
    http://crimeagame.com/index_en.php
    map_new2.gif
    game5.jpg
    game3.jpg

seems to include pvp and some kind of territory warfare..
    quests at first glance are looking very boring mmo-ish but we'll see.

doesn't seem to suffer from any sort of latency or anything annoying like most flash mmos.
    only thing I really hate so far is the movement speed.

Magitek on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I assume ghould, but I don't knwo what the wires are for.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

No, the last picture.

The one with the six-wheeled vehicle that appears to be spraying mountain dew out of water cannons and some sort of robotic crab vehicle.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

No, the last picture.

The one with the six-wheeled vehicle that appears to be spraying mountain dew out of water cannons and some sort of robotic crab vehicle.

I think it's just a "war zone" lego set some one has done or is available. The plan is probably to use it without the various non fallout stuff :).

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I could put one thing into FO3 other than greatly expanded quest options and dialog choices, it would be a viable stupid playthrough.

Eh they did have a valid excuse for not putting it in, having to record unique dialog for every NPC you can interact with would be terribly expensive.

They just hire the same fucking five guys for an extra day?

Okay first they have to rewrite almost every single line of dialog. This is significant work for the writers and would effectively close to double the time it takes to write any quest. Then they have to record all these new lines, which pretty much doubles the time it takes to record everything. Keep in mind voice actors also entail a writer sitting there coaching the actors, and studio time for the microphones, and audio engineers to clean up the files, and then someone has to get the sound file into the game and clip it to the right length and stuff, and then this all has to go on the disc which perhaps becomes troublesome.

Then they have to have different facial expressions in each conversation because of course when talking to an idiot the NPC will often get angry, so the scripter or coder or animator or whoever does that gets twice as much work for every conversation, and finally they get to write all new lines for the player in every case.

And this is IGNORING the IMMENSE work it takes to make the game function so that a mildy retarded PC could realistically accept and subsequently complete the more complex quests.

It was really more of a cheap shot at the VA than actually being an argument for more dialogue.

Honestly I think the idea of going full VA was a bad one for the series because it forces stuff like this.

The whole point of a retard run is you cant do 90% of the quests

But then you guys would be bitching about how Bethesda is lazy and took out 90% of the quests from the retard run. You guys always find lots of things to bitch about.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The point is that Retard Runthroughs are a tradition established in FO 1 + 2. The lack of dumbass motherfucker conversation options in FO3 was probably done for PR and money issues, but some of us feel the lack.

Robman on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I could put one thing into FO3 other than greatly expanded quest options and dialog choices, it would be a viable stupid playthrough.

Eh they did have a valid excuse for not putting it in, having to record unique dialog for every NPC you can interact with would be terribly expensive.

Okay first they have to rewrite almost every single line of dialog. This is significant work for the writers and would effectively close to double the time it takes to write any quest. Then they have to record all these new lines, which pretty much doubles the time it takes to record everything. Keep in mind voice actors also entail a writer sitting there coaching the actors, and studio time for the microphones, and audio engineers to clean up the files, and then someone has to get the sound file into the game and clip it to the right length and stuff, and then this all has to go on the disc which perhaps becomes troublesome.

Then they have to have different facial expressions in each conversation because of course when talking to an idiot the NPC will often get angry, so the scripter or coder or animator or whoever does that gets twice as much work for every conversation, and finally they get to write all new lines for the player in every case.

And this is IGNORING the IMMENSE work it takes to make the game function so that a mildy retarded PC could realistically accept and subsequently complete the more complex quests.

It was really more of a cheap shot at the VA than actually being an argument for more dialogue.

Honestly I think the idea of going full VA was a bad one for the series because it forces stuff like this.

But then you guys would be bitching about how Bethesda is lazy and took out 90% of the quests from the retard run. You guys always find lots of things to bitch about.

noone bitched about that in fo1 and 2.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Becuase for some reason, people were less dickish about the games they played in the mid 90's... Youngsters these days, just a bunch of whiney ingrates. :P

To many games these days are afraid of cutting off certain paths becuase of base character builds. Every one wants to be able to do every quest in every way with every combination. Sometimes, the mayor of a town just doesn't want to put the fate of his people in the hands of a dip-shit.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    err- may look like an asshole immediately after all that, but I kinda wish that Companions had more of a presence. I wish they would react to the quests, and I mean just like a single line of dialogue or whatever, just something to tell me they aren't just mindless husks who kill what I tell them to. Maybe i've been playing too much Mass Effect.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »

Becuase for some reason, people were less dickish about the games they played in the mid 90's... Youngsters these days, just a bunch of whiney ingrates. :P

To many games these days are afraid of cutting off certain paths becuase of base character builds. Every one wants to be able to do every quest in every way with every combination. Sometimes, the mayor of a town just doesn't want to put the fate of his people in the hands of a dip-shit.

Simms: Can you disarm that bomb?
    PC: Wubba harrrrglb
    Simms: Good enough for me, Disarm it and i'll pay you.
    PC: JAMBAAGLR

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yea, that one in particular would not be handed out.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

PC: Dur bomb dur
    Simms: You stay the fuck away from that thing, you'll get us all killed.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wonder if they did a retard playthrough, if you would be given a BB gun by your dad or simply a club.

Also, the interactions with Fawkes would make the game the best ever.

Fawkes: Elliot, the poet.
    PC: Wubba harrglb?
    Fawkes: Truly this is ironic, the beast teaches the man the lost treasures of civilization.

Robman on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It would be funny if they replaced all of the text that shows what you are supposed to say with "HURGABURGAH" while leaving everything, including reactions, the same.

Couscous on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think JAMBAAGLR is my new favorite word ever.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wonder if they did a retard playthrough, if you would be given a BB gun by your dad or simply a club.

alt_takes_014_sling_blade.jpg

some folks call it a kaiser blade

freakish light on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

AHAHAHAHAHA

Do want this playthrough.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

how dare you brutalize that quote.

Its " Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade. "

JAMBAAGLR

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm sure a modder that's good at sentence mixxing could put the retard run back in

Simms: *usual speech*
    PC: durr...
    >blow bubble
    Simms: Uhm, okay
    PC: SQUEE
    >tug at badge
    Simms: Get the hell outta my town!

On another note, played through OA, don't get the OA hate.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

snip

some folks call it a sling blade

JAMBAAGLR

maybe I was channeling my own inner retard when I remembered it?

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

snip

some folks call it a sling blade

JAMBAAGLR

maybe I was channeling my own inner retard when I remembered it?

Then I forgive you with the power and grace of JAMBAAGLR

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The quest where you save her rangers gets you some pimping armour, or an awesome unique minigun.

I think so, yeah. You don't have to do it but bring a fission battery for that quest too. That should help without spoiling anything.

you can activate it by stumbling past the right building and picking up their distress signal on your pipboy radio. You then have the option of going to find riley or just wading in and saving the rangers while she slumbers. Both lead to the same conclusion although waking Riley first does give you the opportunity to get their base of weapons and ammo while there is no one around to stop you. With permission, even.

I got the signal, too, but I don't see any Rangers around the base.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I got the signal, too, but I don't see any Rangers around the base.

They won't be, they'll all be at the <quest location>.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'm just wraping up this first play through I suppose I really do enjoy the game but I think its time for a change of pace.

i want to play a evil character but I really can't see the purpose behind it so I think I'll just mod the shit out of the game instead basically MMM and what else?

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I'm just wraping up this first play through I suppose I really do enjoy the game but I think its time for a change of pace.

i want to play a evil character but I really can't see the purpose behind it so I think I'll just mod the shit out of the game instead basically MMM and what else?

Classic Fallout Weapons, Alternate start, FOSE, Sprint Mod, Sharing and Caring Companions, FOMM, Killable kids are all standard recommendations.

Not needed but welcome is the Power Armor weight mod.

SkutSkut on