As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Sports Resort! Out now most places

• Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I must say that after playing this for hour, I'm quite impressed how well Motion+ is implemented. Sword fighting felt very nice, and smashing crap from hordes of miis feels very good. Interestingly enough, I didn't manage to get M+ out of sync with swordplay, but archery instead. Am I only one who has started to think whole game as a test zone for next Zelda? Swordfighting, frisbee throwing, archery, and canoeeing all feel like events that will be implemented in next Zelda.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All I know is that after playing the endless horde mode, I need a Dynasty Warriors-ish hack and slash that uses MotionPlus. <3 There is that game from the people that did EDF2017 that was announced a while back, have we heard anything about that since?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dallas: Grapevine Mills, July 24-26

That's pretty cool. I come in here trying to find out if I should buy this or not and immediately get pointed to a free demo thats three fucking minutes away from my house. Rock on.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I went looking for this yesterday, and came up empty. Maybe I'll find it this weekend.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I went looking for this yesterday, and came up empty. Maybe I'll find it this weekend.

Its not officially released until Sunday or Monday.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played Table Tennis for around 3 hours this afternoon.

My arm hurts.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »

"Out now most places" doesn't include the U.S. quite yet. :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I am the only person on Earth who both liked Wii Sports in general, and hated Bowling and Golf on it. I suck badly at both sports in real life (and really don't like golf anyway), so of course my suckitude carried over to the game.

Although it was hilarious that the same things that happened to me when I bowled with friends as a kid (lots of hooks and gutter balls) happened in the game as well. I think you could have pitted me against an epileptic weiner dog at Wii Sports Bowling and he could have beaten me like a drum.

Now, Tennis and Boxing... I thought those were lots of fun.

Norfair on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just got this...

Swordfighting is excellent! Just wish i had a second M+ so i could beat up friends, makes me feel like a proper swordfighter (kindof)

Also archery is tons of fun. I've yet to test anything else extensively. Im just whacking people with plastic swords...now where the hell is my lightsaber game!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was going to pick up at least one Motion Plus anyway so grabbing Resort as I did so seemed the best choice.

I played table tennis the most but also had a go at each of the other sports on offer. Impressions of a few of them :

1. Swordfighting was very cool. Blocking a flurry of attacks only to counter with a left, right and overhead slice, sending your opponent to his / her moist fate was extreme fun. Speed slicing was also pretty neat. If you are quick enough and the object is in range you can keep cutting it to pieces, displaying that it's not just canned animations triggered by a correct swing.

2. Archery. I can see the new Zelda utilising this mechanic. It drew me in a lot to "draw the bow back" and release the Z button to fire a shot. I kept coming back to this to relax after hard fought table tennis games.

3. Frisbee golf. Again, another relaxing event. Very satisfying to launch a shot and have it go pretty much perfectly. Took a while to get it down but now I can at least get good distance each time. A good aim on the other hand...

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shit I didn't realize this was 70 bucks!!!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Its not. Its $60.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Its not. Its $60.
    It's regularly $50. $46.99 at Amazon.

Unless we're factoring in an extra M+

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    toxk_02 wrote: »

Its not. Its $60.
    It's regularly $50. $46.99 at Amazon.

Unless we're factoring in an extra M+

I guess I'm just mis-remembering my pre-order. I'll have to check the receipt when I get home to make sure I didn't get screwed. :P

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And again, peeps in the U.S.: On Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Toys R Us is giving $20 gift cards when you buy Wii Sports Resort. You have to be a Rewards R Us member, but the card is free and can be filled out in-store or on their website. That pays for a spare MotionPlus right there. No sense turning down free money!

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh well that's pretty cool. I'm trying the online thing now.

Yep you can just print out a temporary membership card while you wait for the official one in the mail. Probably means I'll also be getting a bunch of junk in the mail, but eh fuck it I'll have a free M+.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks Lunker, I think I'll head up there and sign up today, just to be safe.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

"Out now most places" doesn't include the U.S. quite yet. :)

Eh when I posted that I already had found it in the usual places so I figured it was out.

Allforce on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got it yesterday, plus another WM+, and we tried it out at a friend's place - until 2 am ;)

It's really really fun in multiplayer, and I've been enjoying the flight thingy in sp so far (still 8 locations missing! Grrr...)

The accuracy in most games is really satisfying (we/I haven't played all of them yet), though I'd wish you could hold the ping pong racket just a little bit flatter, to play a real mean, fast ball.

Fun!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just picked up mine and tried out each sport. My early favorite is golf again. They doubled the number of holes and significantly increased the club selection. M+ is used to make you hook or slice, so you have to keep your wrists straight. I also think it's doing a better job of sensing your power levels.

Archery is a lot more interesting than I expected. It just feels right.

Brym on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, archery feels great and golf is improved bigtime. It really picks up the light swings well.

Just finished trying all on the games, and though certain ones could have been fleshed out more, it defenitly feels like a justified purchase. I can't wait to play this with a bunch of people.

Oh man the bowling is really really great now. I thought it was good before, but shit, it is really good now. On my first 100 pin game I got three spares and 2 strikes. I can tell my spinning tactics from the first one are really going to come in handy for Resort.

I was a little perturbed that I could not use my gift certificate towards a second M+, as it would not activate for 6 hours...

Sneaky Toys R Us, sneaky! Ah well at least now I have two motion pluses, and an excuse to go back and pick up Deadly Creatures, Madworld or HotD.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was the last person to get in on that TRU deal (was at the register at 2PM exactly), so I want to say thanks to Lunker and whoever else mentioned that. I'm going to repeat what earthwormadam said in that the 20$ Giftcard takes 6 hours to activate so if you want to purchase an extra M+, you'll either have to wait or use real cash, but either way it's a great deal. Can't wait to try out the games and post impressions. Now I just need to figure out which M+ tennis game to get.

Also, OP really needs work to fix all the fail in it.

Arcus on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tried golf at the Gamestop. Felt really off somehow. Really hard to overswing now. I might just be too used to the original. Or maybe its no good?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've only play 3 holes of golf but I over swung accidentally a few times. Maybe the calibration was off somehow.

Man, dog Frisbee and archery are just too much fun. I also got a pretty good idea for a comic based on the frisbee game. Now all I have to do is pry myself from the game long enough to produce it...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bowling is now harder than hell. Maybe it was the alcohol, but I could still bowl strikes when imbibing in vanilla Wii Sports. Now I can hardly get my ball to hook.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I like how much easier it is to throw the ball straight though. I don't have to do my ball toss strategy anymore which is nice.

I've only played one game of regular bowling and I did pretty good, but I look forward to fine tuning my spin.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Picked this up along with an extra M+ for multiplayer shenanigans today.

Played a little Swordplay and Bowling. Noticed Bowling got some tweaks and is more accurate, I have a feeling I'll be playing it a lot. Swordplay surprised me by not being the waggle version of a button masher, but actually requiring some strategy.

Only got about 20 minutes in but I already know I'll be playing the shit out of this game. So far I only have two gripes:

1. Not all the sports returned.... upgraded Tennis would have been especially nice.

2. No online. Seriously Nintendo, Wii Sports is super fun in multiplayer, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it would be super fun online.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't believe how much fun we had playing the frisbee games tonight. Golf is pretty much what I wanted out of the original wii sports, and 100 pin bowling is ridiculously fun.

I was skeptical of the m+ but I'm a convert after playing for a day.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jeff Gerstmann loved this.

This man's general contention for most Wii games is near my own, and after hearing him talk about it, I definitely want to try it out on my friend's Wii.

I didn't know Motion+ was required, though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Played a little Swordplay and Bowling. Noticed Bowling got some tweaks and is more accurate, I have a feeling I'll be playing it a lot. Swordplay surprised me by not being the waggle version of a button masher, but actually requiring some strategy.

Only got about 20 minutes in but I already know I'll be playing the shit out of this game. So far I only have two gripes:

1. Not all the sports returned.... upgraded Tennis would have been especially nice.

2. No online. Seriously Nintendo, Wii Sports is super fun in multiplayer, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it would be super fun online.

The problem I have with WiiSports Resort is that it has a similar design philosophy as WiiSports and WiiPlay, that is short and simple. Which is fine for cheaper, mini game collections (which the first 2 games are)

IMO, WSR lacks alot of depth you'd expect out of a full fledged game. Granted in comes with a MW+ making it more like a "$30" game but I feel there should've been more. WiiSports even feels it has more depth with its Training games. Some of those modes where just great (Tennis WallBall was the one I liked the most)

Given how much was already in the game I don't think adding extra modes or playstyles would've been that much harder to add and would've added a lot more replay.

Mgslee on
    Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
  • Options
    edited July 2009

1) Table tennis is kind of upgraded tennis. Close enough that actual tennis would seem redundant.

2) Even if they won't do online, the continued lack of leaderboards is frustrating.

I also wish they'd put in a stats page that would let you see which badges each (local) player has earned, and keeps track of each players high score in each game. This should be basic shit.

Brym on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brym wrote: »

1) Table tennis is kind of upgraded tennis. Close enough that actual tennis would seem redundant.

2) Even if they won't do online, the continued lack of leaderboards is frustrating.

I also wish they'd put in a stats page that would let you see which badges each (local) player has earned, and keeps track of each players high score in each game. This should be basic shit.

I haven't tried table tennis yet but from what I understand it doesn't have doubles. Lame.

I also agree that leaderboards would have been nice. Whats the point of badges if you can't show em off?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Brym wrote: »

I haven't tried table tennis yet but from what I understand it doesn't have doubles. Lame.

I also agree that leaderboards would have been nice. Whats the point of badges if you can't show em off?

It's like Nintendo is living in an alternate universe where we should just be thankful that the high score doesn't reset when we turn off the power. But I don't want to turn this into a Wii-bashing thread, that would be too easy!

How about that frisbee, eh? I felt like a total badass once I was able to successfully curve the frisbee to hit a 100-point balloon and still make the dog do a jumping catch. If only I were more consistent.... last time I played frisbee golf, I got a hole in one followed by an octuple bogey.

Brym on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    While we're bitching about stuff I want to bitch about how there is no fishing in this game. It's a goddamn no brainer!!

Nintendo's got the perfect fishing rod controller, with new found ability to boot, AND zero competition in that genre, AND ON TOP of that it's a tropical vacation resort. No fishing?! WTF.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aww, that sucks.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mgslee wrote: »
    IMO, WSR lacks alot of depth you'd expect out of a full fledged game. Granted in comes with a MW+ making it more like a "$30" game but I feel there should've been more. WiiSports even feels it has more depth with its Training games. Some of those modes where just great (Tennis WallBall was the one I liked the most)

I thought WSR had several modes per game, making it about the same amount of content as the Training games from before? Such as 100 pin mode in Bowling which literally was a Training game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mgslee wrote: »

I thought WSR had several modes per game, making it about the same amount of content as the Training games from before? Such as 100 pin mode in Bowling which literally was a Training game.

Yeah, it's very similar to old bowling, it even has the same game mode where you have to spin the ball past hurdles and stuff. It's a lot more fun than before, because you can really control your spin in awesome ways, it also has a normal scoring system, and if you get a strike or spare, the hurdles are placed in harder locations. Table tennis also has an option where you only have to hit balls back, and see how far you can get. I'd say in terms of content it's almost twice as much as Wii Sports, and because all games have greater depth because of the heightened precision, probably more.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, that bummed me out, too, but I guess they hold back on it for a new Mario Tennis - the i-spot in free flight (or whatever it's called) above the EXISTING TENNIS COURT stating that you can't play because someone stole the balls.... 8[

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Lack of doubles is pretty painful to hear—my wife and I always played co-op versus the computer—but from what I got to play on the table tennis, the extra control I had staved off any complaints I may have had.

Lunker on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So is there any way to get rid of the annoying, ugly default miis? When I'm skydiving, I want it to be with family, friends and the occasional celebrity!

Somestickguy on