As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam: Just Got Gift of Game I Already Have

takyristakyris Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
First off, apologies if this is bad for the game thread. This didn't seem like a tech question per se.

My friend just sent me a Steam Gift (arrived in an e-mail like an Amazon Gift Card would; I don't even have Steam due to living in a cave for the last several years), which is nice, but it's for a game that I already have. What are my options here?

Is this something I can transfer to another friend somehow?

EDIT: No, I don't intend to sell it, and I'm not offering it to anybody here. I'm just trying to figure out what I can do with it.

takyris on

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Steam questions are better posted in the general steam thread.

To answer the question though:
    In the gift mail there should be a link :
    You can pass on that link to someone else, he can add it to his account that way.

Alegis on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Steam questions are better posted in the general steam thread.

To answer the question though:
    In the gift mail there should be a link :
    You can pass on that link to someone else, he can add it to his account that way.

Thank you! As a non-Steam-user, I had no idea there was a thread. I appreciate it.

takyris on
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Let your friend know. They can give it to someone else.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MisterGrok wrote: »
    Let your friend know. They can give it to someone else.

I once tried this once myself. Sent my spare copy of HL2 to an e-mail address of mine. As long as the title isn't redeemed then it'll simply be listed as "sent" and the person who sent it can re-send it to someone else.

If it's a gift directly via Steam, then IIRC they can't gift you anything you already own. I'm not even sure whether the e-mail voucher would be redeemable.

subedii on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    If it's a gift directly via Steam, then IIRC they can't gift you anything you already own. I'm not even sure whether the e-mail voucher would be redeemable.

They can if you didn't buy it through Steam.

Frem on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

They can if you didn't buy it through Steam.

Well yeah, I guess I should have added that proviso. But otherwise, I don't believe Steam will let you accept a gift of a game you've already got on Steam.

subedii on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, IIRC it greys out friends who already have the game you're trying to gift when you're prompted to select them. Not sure if it works with people who set their profile to private though

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png