As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

making a dedicated Windows OS partition

ReitenReiten Registered User regular
I'm going to be building a new desktop in the near future. For the OS, I plan on using Windows 7. I think I can find an old XP Pro CD from a previous computer and buy the cheaper upgrade rather than pay the full price (my current machine is a Dell, so that OS will be worthless on a different machine). However, this means doing a clean install, probably after I build the new desktop. Rather than screw around with doing a full backup after transferring everything to the new machine, I think it makes sense to just set up a separate OS partition on the new HD. Then I can easily and safely do a clean install of the upgrade without a massive backup, then reinstall of all my files.

First question. Do I have that right? If I set up a dedicated Windows XP OS partition and move the My Documents to the other partition, can I safely do the clean install of Windows 7 without messing up everything else?

Second question. How much space should I dedicate to the OS partition? The HD it will be on should be a minimum of 600GB and maybe 1TB.

Third question. Any special tricks, tips or pitfalls I should be aware of?

Reiten on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a new desktop, right? What's stopping you from just setting it up with a clean Win7 install, then moving your documents via LAN from one computer to the other?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    It's a new desktop, right? What's stopping you from just setting it up with a clean Win7 install, then moving your documents via LAN from one computer to the other?

This.

The method you are describing is actually more difficult than just installing, and copy/pasting over the network.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I want an OS partition, in any case.

Given that the upgrade is cheaper than the full package, my assumption was that I'd need XP installed instead of the Windows 7 RC. Is this incorrect? Do I only need the activation code from the XP install?

Reiten on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    you can do an upgrade from the Win7 RC

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [strike]You don't need XP installed to install the upgrade. In fact, you can't install 7 over XP at all. Needs to be clean.

You do need XP to buy the upgrade; I assume they check your cd-key at some point.[/strike]

edit i know nothing

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    You don't need XP installed to install the upgrade. In fact, you can't install 7 over XP at all. Needs to be clean.

You do need XP to buy the upgrade; I assume they check your cd-key at some point.

That is not true at all. It has been confirmed by Microsoft that you need an installed, and activated, copy of XP or Vista to install the upgrade edition. If you have XP it will end up doing a clean install, but you do need to have it installed.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Seriously? Huh, okay. I'll trust you know more about the subject than I do...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    I'd say 50 gigs minimum for a comfortably sized system partition (more if you'll be installing tons of big apps). I currently have Windows 7 RC installed on a 20-gig partition, and that feels a bit crowded - less than 5 gigs free right after the installation.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the info!

Reiten on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Remember that if you have a partition with all the installed games that they won't just work after a new system install or whatever. They will need reinstalled thanks to registry keys

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2