As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chew: Would you eat a corpse?!

Portugal.TheMarkPortugal.TheMark Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Graphic Violence
chew_cov01.jpg

chew2.jpg
"Chew" focuses on the stomach-turning adventures of Tony Chu, a federal agent who uses his powers as a Cibopath – one who gets psychic impressions from what he eats (i.e. murder victims) – to solve crimes in a possible future where massive Avian Flu deaths have made the Food and Drug Administration a more powerful government agency than the Department of Homeland Security.
chew4.jpg

The characters: (There are only a few now, but I'll update as they come up. I should say that they are in order of appearance so some of the information may ruin parts of the story for you if you read all of the characters.)

Tony Chu:
A well meaning follow the rules beat cop that has a pretty wicked trick slipped way up his sleeve. He's an agent with the FDA. Tony's trick is that he's a cibopath. A cibopath is someone who gets psychic readings from the things they eat. The only food that doesn't give Tony a psychic reading is beets. That's right...beets.

chew02.jpg

John Colby:
(First Partner. Out of Commision): Not much is known about him as he takes a meat cleaver to the side of the head pretty early on in the first issue. He's assumed to either be dead, or permanently out of action. He's the other side of the coin for Chu. He doesn't follow the rules, and takes the role of "off the wall follow no rules bad cop". As it stands now though we won't be seeing much of him. Or will we?

Agent Mason Savoy:
This is Tony's current partner. Savoy is also an agent at the F.D.A.,
and also a Cibopath
. At first he seems to be a rolly-polly British gentlemen who wants nothing more than to please the F.D.A. It becomes apparent that he is also a pretty big badass. Savoy it seems is becoming Chu's rolemodel.

062209_chew02.jpg

Mike Applebee:
He immediately hates Tony for being a Cibopath. He has decided to make Tony's life at the F.D.A. a living hell. Mike is Tony's new boss. All we really know about him so far is that he's a pretty big ass. That's it.

Amelia Mintz:
She is a writer for the Mercury-Sun. Amelia is paid to eat, and then write about what she's eaten. She's very good at what she does, because she is a Saboscrivner. A saboscrivner is someone who can write about food so accurately, and vividly that people get the actual taste of the food in their mouths as they read the articles. Amelia has won over Tony's heart without ever saying a word to him.

The Creators:
(Wiki will Do a better job than I will)

John Layman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Layman

Rob Guillory: Couldn't Find much about him. His art is pretty interesting, and kind of reminds me of the Tf2 art direction. I think it does the story line justice.

That's it so far. I'm really hoping that the comic continues on this pace. I'll try to keep all of the characters, and story archs up to date.

chew-3-02.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Portugal.TheMark on

• Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This book really is pretty solid so far, though I'm waiting to see if the story goes anywhere.

You really should throw in a couple of examples of the art, because it's really making the story so far. Good examples:

chew1.jpg

chew4.jpg

werehippy on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think that's one of the most horrifying superpowers I've ever heard of. Fantastic.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought the first two issues yesterday - this book is fantastic.

Hensler on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, this sounds so odd...and yet, so sweet.

I'll have to pick up a few issues when it comes out.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You should mention this in the Mini-Series Awareness Thread. Seems pretty neat.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The first one was pretty cool, I most definitely would most definitely refrain from eating if I had his powers...

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I recently got #1 and 2 of this, it's amazing.

Verr on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Interesting idea... I wonder what would be "safe" foods to eat. You'd probably become a vegetarian pretty quickly.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's actually pointed out in the first issue that beets are the only food that Tony doesn't get psychic impressions from. Consequently, he eats a lot of them.

It's only two issues in, but Chew's already looking very promising. The whole book has this very creepy, yet humorous feel to it. In a weird way, the tone of it reminds me of old Nicktoons like Ren and Stimpy, Invader Zim, Ahhh! Real Monsters, and so on. Everything's exaggerated and cartoony, from the setting itself, to the oddball characters, but there's this layer of creepy filth and grit covering everything, and Guillory's art does a lot to sell the reader on that world.

For anyone looking for a crime book with a supernatural, dark humored twist, I'd definitely recommend Chew.

Munch on
  • Options
    MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll look into this comic... I'm curious, does he like eating the flesh of murder victims? Is his ability a known one or unknown one to other people?

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MisterBibs wrote: »
    I'll look into this comic... I'm curious, does he like eating the flesh of murder victims? Is his ability a known one or unknown one to other people?

He doesn't like it - they basically force / talk him into it in issue #2. It seems that the first time he's eaten a dead body is in the 2nd issue. It seems like it's probably a secret power - his partner in the first book knows about it, but his boss does not.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Portugal.TheMarkPortugal.TheMark Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

He doesn't like it - they basically force / talk him into it in issue #2. It seems that the first time he's eaten a dead body is in the 2nd issue. It seems like it's probably a secret power - his partner in the first book knows about it, but his boss does not.

Although
    He ate the face off of that serial killer towards the end of the first issue. Although he was still alive; Chu WAS eating human flesh, and seemed pretty intent on it.

Portugal.TheMark on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

Although
    He ate the face off of that serial killer towards the end of the first issue. Although he was still alive; Chu WAS eating human flesh, and seemed pretty intent on it.

Yeah, true dat, biznitch. My bad, dawggy dog. I was just thinking of him eating the 1-8-7 victims, slipped me about when he ate that sick blasta at the end of da read.

Hensler on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would think that this could make for one hellish sex life.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blargh! Why is half my Chew in Russian, especially when it's the half that apparently contains the plot?

werehippy on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just picked this up and I really dig it. I may even write a letter to them. Definitely adding to it to my hold file. I wonder how much food he tried before he figured out beets, and if there are other foods that don't trigger his ability but he just hasn't found them yet.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not really into American comics (mainly because 90% of the titles seem to be superhero stories), but this premise was unique enough to convince me to give it a shot. I went down to the local comic shop and discovered that the first two issues were sold out. The guy running the shop then proceeded to tell me that the first issue of this series was going for upwards of forty bucks online and that he had no idea why.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's because we talked about it in Graphic Violence and now everyone has to have it, right?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, good luck finding it. I stopped by a small little shop yesterday and they had all three issues out at cover price. The first was the 'Last Bite' edition (I assume the second printing?). They may do a third print run, so keep your eye out for it.

That said, I love this art. I'm always a fan of stylized action scenes, they always seem so animated. Anyone else getting a bit of a weird vibe from Savoy?

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Today I was able to find a copy of Chew #3. I liked it, but I think I'll wait for a trade to come out since I'm having difficulty finding the title.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just hopped back on the comics bandwagon and picked up issues 1-4 the other day. I'm loving this one, especially all the little nuances tossed in. I can't wait to see how long they can keep up the level of dialogue from Mason.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know, I don't normally read comic books, but this one I might have to check out

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    margaliciousmargalicious Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    I'm not really a comic reader. I only read about Archie. But this one it's sounds like interesting because of the superpower. It's kinda horrifying.

margalicious on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone else getting a bit of a weird vibe from Savoy?

That he is a bad ass, why yes. Other then that no, not at all.

Until issue 5.
    Damn you Savoy! I didn't see him working towards him own end like that though. Loved it. Now we have a hero and villan. Not the book needed it.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto