As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your secret shame...

• Portugal.TheMarkPortugal.TheMark Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really got into wargames, but it seems everyone else hates the entire run.

Portugal.TheMark on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    I bought the first two issues of the Dark Knight Strikes Again. My sister, not knowing any better bought me the hardcover collection as a gift. I gave those away. Recently I went to my friend's place and was helping her clean her house. I saw my copies all battered and torn. She then replies,

'Oh yeah. WHY did you give me that shit?"

My secret shame is that I've come to fucking love 90% of DKSA. It's a shitty sequel to DKR, the pacing's awful, many of the characters are woefully underdeveloped, and the art goes to shit after the first few chapters, but the rest of it is made up of terribly fun little character bits.

It reads much better in bits and pieces, rather than as a cohesive whole.

The introduction of the Question, Elongated Man's break-in at Arkham Asylum, and the bits about the Atom are still some of my favorite takes on those characters.

I would agree that there were interesting character bits, the art was...interesting (a little overblown and over experimental, but not as terrible as some say), but the story was shit.

Sure the concept was brilliant. Heroes being hunted by their greatest who are now at the mercy of their mortal enemy. The President being a holographic image. Jimmy Olsen becoming the question and the oversexualized media being injected into everyday life to such an extent it is inescapable. But how it unfolded was so incoherent and all over the place.

The whole thing was just an excercise in how far Miller can push icons into "OH SHIT" moments.

I think my favorite moment from DKSA was Hal Jordan closing his fist around the earth.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You guys should stop, because you're making me want to read it.

HadjiQuest on
  • FeefaitFeefait Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I continue to buy Wildcats- not because I like it or even really read it but just out of some sick guilt I want to support it so MAYBE some day it will be cool again. It's an awful book with no good storyline, writing characters or art. But it's on my script list at my local shop...

Feefait on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I miss the characters from the Legion of Losers. Gravity, Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, etc. I LOVED those series. I also love Power Pack.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One of my major comic book shames is that I'm not half as in love with Hellboy as everyone else seems to be. I love Mignola's art, the myths and legends he draws from are interesting to me, and the characters he's created are so visually distinctive and quirky that I'm still able to really enjoy Hellboy and BPRD. But there's something about the way he paces his stories, and the very understated tone he utilizes, that always keeps me from really becoming engrossed in the whole mythos.

I always find myself liking the funny bits of Hellboy a lot more than the rest, because it seems like that's always where the heart and emotion of the book shines through.

Munch on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    [QUOTE=Munch;12493228]One of my major comic book shames is that I'm not half as in love with Hellboy as everyone else seems to be. I love Mignola's art, the myths and legends he draws from are interesting to me, and the characters he's created are so visually distinctive and quirky that I'm still able to really enjoy Hellboy and BPRD. But there's something about the way he paces his stories, and the very understated tone he utilizes, that always keeps me from really becoming engrossed in the whole mythos.

I always find myself liking the funny bits of Hellboy a lot more than the rest, because it seems like that's always where the heart and emotion of the book shines through.[/QUOTE]

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My secret shame is that I can't enjoy the Runaways under any writer.

Wildcat on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One of my major comic book shames is that I'm not half as in love with Hellboy as everyone else seems to be. I love Mignola's art, the myths and legends he draws from are interesting to me, and the characters he's created are so visually distinctive and quirky that I'm still able to really enjoy Hellboy and BPRD. But there's something about the way he paces his stories, and the very understated tone he utilizes, that always keeps me from really becoming engrossed in the whole mythos.

I always find myself liking the funny bits of Hellboy a lot more than the rest, because it seems like that's always where the heart and emotion of the book shines through.

On a sort-of-related note, Hellboy himself - as far as I can tell - doesn't have much of a personality. I only recently realized that I feel this way. I mean, in basically every book, the main character seems to be the, hmm, mise en scene minus Hellboy (that is, the myth being inspected right now, the backwoods land where the adventure is happening, the weird one-off minor characters who set up the adventure, and the like). Hellboy himself is kinda bland, and most of the time doesn't really say or think a whole lot. The realization made me a bit sad, and a little concerned that I may be missing something about the character. Fortunately, B.P.R.D. is chock-full of awesome characters.

Mike Mignola is still one of my favorite artists, though.

Delduwath on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My secret shame is that I find it hard to enjoy any book with a female main character. I just can't get into the story and support them like I do with the guys. Of course, this might be to do with the fact that the only Marvel (and that is pretty much all I read) female solo books I would be interested in are She-Hulk and Ms Marvel, and havn't both been cancelled? I could pick up the She Hulk trades I guess, does anybody know if they are any good?

Of course, if they put out a Valkyrie series I would buy it like there was no tomorrow. I hardly know anything about the character or anything but the idea is so cool. In the hands of a decent writer it could be a really fuckawesome book.

Solar on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Delduwath wrote: »

On a sort-of-related note, Hellboy himself - as far as I can tell - doesn't have much of a personality. I only recently realized that I feel this way. I mean, in basically every book, the main character seems to be the, hmm, mise en scene minus Hellboy (that is, the myth being inspected right now, the backwoods land where the adventure is happening, the weird one-off minor characters who set up the adventure, and the like). Hellboy himself is kinda bland, and most of the time doesn't really say or think a whole lot. The realization made me a bit sad, and a little concerned that I may be missing something about the character. Fortunately, B.P.R.D. is chock-full of awesome characters.

Mike Mignola is still one of my favorite artists, though.

Quick question, have you guys seen any of the Hellboy movies? Because I feel the same way about the comic series, yet I really liked Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. The movies seem to do a better job of focusing on Hellboy and his relationships with the various members of B.P.R.D. then the comic.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Solar wrote: »
    My secret shame is that I find it hard to enjoy any book with a female main character. I just can't get into the story and support them like I do with the guys. Of course, this might be to do with the fact that the only Marvel (and that is pretty much all I read) female solo books I would be interested in are She-Hulk and Ms Marvel, and havn't both been cancelled? I could pick up the She Hulk trades I guess, does anybody know if they are any good?

Of course, if they put out a Valkyrie series I would buy it like there was no tomorrow. I hardly know anything about the character or anything but the idea is so cool. In the hands of a decent writer it could be a really fuckawesome book.

Slott's She-Hulk is very very good until the last trade, where it gets a bit boring and trying to cram too much stuff together (he tries to fix every continuity screw up to that point in the Marvel Universe).

Ms. Marvel is meh, the first issues with Roberto De La Torre were the best of the series.

And I have a secret shame that I have realized in the past months; despite buying every issue of Streets of Gotham, I still haven't read the Manhunter backups. I just don't care to read them, even though they are right there

TexiKen on
  • Dino CzarDino Czar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I loved Spider-man in the mid to late 90s. Maximum Carnage, robot parents, death of Aunt May, Cone Saga, all of it. I secretly prayed that MJ would end up married to Ben Reily and living in L.A. after OMD. I still treasure my Spider-Man Unlimited #1 and I would wear a Scarlet Spider hoodie if given the chance.

Dino Czar on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have started watching Smallville again and think Tom Welling is our generation's Superman.

He is the only one I can think of that can carry onl the mantle left behind by Christoper Reeve.

Of course considering his competition thats not saying much.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dino Czar wrote: »
    I loved Spider-man in the mid to late 90s. Maximum Carnage, robot parents, death of Aunt May, Cone Saga, all of it. I secretly prayed that MJ would end up married to Ben Reily and living in L.A. after OMD. I still treasure my Spider-Man Unlimited #1 and I would wear a Scarlet Spider hoodie if given the chance.

That is nothing to be ashamed of. Those stories were "da bomb."

Hensler on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I have started watching Smallville again and think Tom Welling is our generation's Superman.

He is the only one I can think of that can carry onl the mantle left behind by Christoper Reeve.

leave. Now.

Silver_Mage on
    edited November 2009
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    Quick question, have you guys seen any of the Hellboy movies? Because I feel the same way about the comic series, yet I really liked Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. The movies seem to do a better job of focusing on Hellboy and his relationships with the various members of B.P.R.D. then the comic.

Agreed.

Another of my secret shames (man I'm shameful), is that I desperately want to launch a revival of the first comic I ever read, The Defenders of Dynatron City. If I ever stumble ass backwards into a gigantic pile of money, I would love to take steps to buy that franchise.

I mean, one of the team members shoots his head off like a rocket and then flies by grabbing his own flying, severed head.

Awesome!

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I preferred the first Hellboy movie to the second. Jeffrey Tambor and the milquetoast audience surrogate from the first film got douched and the villain's motivation was kind of bland and well.
    Didn't appreciate the pregnancy twist either.

Creature designs were alright, but I felt they were more "Pan's Labyrinth" than Hellboy.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Another of my secret shames (man I'm shameful), is that I desperately want to launch a revival of the first comic I ever read, The Defenders of Dynatron City. If I ever stumble ass backwards into a gigantic pile of money, I would love to take steps to buy that franchise.

I mean, one of the team members shoots his head off like a rocket and then flies by grabbing his own flying, severed head.

Awesome!

I'm sorry, there really is nothing shameful about that.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Laser DaveLaser Dave Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I bought all of Battle for Bludhaven and I have no excuse. Perhaps I kept buying it because I couldn't believe something, anything could be as uninteresting as that.

Oh, and I bought the shit out of the Wildstorm Thundercats for a while.

Laser Dave on
    edited November 2009
    Battle for Bludhaven had a single cool moment; when Captain Atom, in his Monarch armor, calls out Major Force. After all the shit that dude had gotten away with, to see Atom all but tell him, "I am going to fuck you up like you do not even know," was just terrific.

And was the Wildstorm Thundercats the one that was all post-apocalyptic, with Wiley Kit and Cheetara as Mumm-Ra's concubines? Because I saw some scans of that and remember thinking it was one of the worst comics I'd ever seen, though Ed Benes's art was curiously good.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »

leave. Now.

Hey! I said it was my secret shame!

Besides Christoper Reeve is still the one and only Superman! Its just that after his death Tom Welling is the one that comes closes to fitting his cape.

The Alternatives are Dean Cain and Brandon Routh.

You decide.

Kipling217 on
    edited November 2009
    Routh did a good job, it's just they gave him such a pussy "S" symbol on his chest. It was Supergirl small.

When you realize Welling is basically 10 years older than what he's playing, it's the kind of thing that sticks in my head and I can't get rid of it.

TexiKen on
  • Dino CzarDino Czar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is it shameful that I watched Lois and Clark when it was on? I haven't seen it in years, but I kind of want to watch it again now. In fact I remember Dean Caine being alright in the more Clark Kent centric story telling.

Was it really that bad?

Dino Czar on
    edited November 2009
    That old Superboy syndicated show? That was awesome.

TexiKen on
    edited November 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Routh did a good job, it's just they gave him such a pussy "S" symbol on his chest. It was Supergirl small.

When you realize Welling is basically 10 years older than what he's playing, it's the kind of thing that sticks in my head and I can't get rid of it.

Brandon Routh did a bad impersonation of Christoper Reeve's Clark Kent, his Superman does not even deserve to be compared to Dean Cain in favourable terms.

Kipling217 on
  • ThundergodcidThundergodcid Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sonic the hedge hog comics, it happened I read them, and now I cant unread them.

Thundergodcid on
  • MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know if its a 'secret shame' given that I'm not ashamed at all about it, but I don't really like Watchmen. The comic, specifically.

I intellectually get that its a deconstruction of comic books, but in the practical sense it winds up being "we removed everything you like about your favorite comics, and stuffed a whole lot of crap you never asked for! DOES A BATMAN WHO CAN'T MAINTAIN A WOODIE SHOCK AND INTRIQUE YOU??!".

Factor in that its the grandfather of the Dark Age*, and I just can't do more than appreciate it as a meta-warning against GrimDark.

* On a side note, can someone explain to me the belief that Dark Age writers took the GrimDark of Watchmen and applied it incorrectly? Based on what I've researched, it looks to me that there's a natural evolution from Watchmen to Dark Age stuff.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
    edited November 2009
    You what comic was critically panned before its release, and then completely ignored afterward, but was actually quite good?

Rush City. It's the comic that somewhat infamously starred a protagonist whose gimmick was that he, as part of a blatant tie-in/ad campaign, drove a Pontiac Solstice loaded with gimmicks. For some reason that really sparked the ire of comics fandom, and the series crashed and burned right out of the gate.

However, the book was written by Chuck Dixon, illustrated by Timothy Green II (Starlord, Iron Fist), and had covers by Jock, so it was actually pretty awesome. A really fast-paced neo noir story, it was set within the confines of the DCU, but played down the more overt, superhero-y aspects of the universe. Basically, it was great fun, and pretty much nobody bought or liked it but me.

Though he's probably destined to be cannon fodder the next time someone wants to kill a joke character, I'd love to see Rush come back as someone's badass bodyguard/chauffeur.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    MisterBibs wrote: »
    I don't know if its a 'secret shame' given that I'm not ashamed at all about it, but I don't really like Watchmen. The comic, specifically.

I intellectually get that its a deconstruction of comic books, but in the practical sense it winds up being "we removed everything you like about your favorite comics, and stuffed a whole lot of crap you never asked for! DOES A BATMAN WHO CAN'T MAINTAIN A WOODIE SHOCK AND INTRIQUE YOU??!".

Seems to me that you don't think there's any practical reason to deconstruct a genre.
    Factor in that its the grandfather of the Dark Age*, and I just can't do more than appreciate it as a meta-warning against GrimDark.

* On a side note, can someone explain to me the belief that Dark Age writers took the GrimDark of Watchmen and applied it incorrectly? Based on what I've researched, it looks to me that there's a natural evolution from Watchmen to Dark Age stuff.

Rorschach spawned a bunch of no-nonsense moral absolutists who seemed to just be a logical extension of Rorschach's character. The problem is that people forget that Rorschach was wrong. Because of this, his successors are seen as just "doing what needs to be done" rather than living out a short-sighted and foolish philosophy, and that completely misses the point of what Moore was doing.

Don't get me wrong. I get a fair amount of catharsis from seeing Punisher torture a sex trafficker to death too. I just think that you can't really compare that story to Watchmen at all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, I just reread GOLDEN AGE last night! Maybe the best thing Robinson has ever done (yes, maybe even better than Starman).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Rorschach spawned a bunch of no-nonsense moral absolutists who seemed to just be a logical extension of Rorschach's character. The problem is that people forget that Rorschach was wrong. Because of this, his successors are seen as just "doing what needs to be done" rather than living out a short-sighted and foolish philosophy, and that completely misses the point of what Moore was trying to do.

I absolutely loved when Dennis O'Neil used Vic Sage to refute Rorschach's ideology and methods in an issue of The Question.

Basically, Vic reads Watchmen during a long flight, and then goes around trying to be more like him, before ultimately concluding, "Rorschach sucks."

In a way, that whole run was kind of an answer to the grim n' gritty heroes of that time. Vic starts off behaving much as he did under Ditko, gets his ass kicked, gets shot in the head, wakes up being cared for by Richard Dragon, learns himself some eastern philosophy, and spends the rest of the series with a very zen outlook on things.

That series would be perfect if not for The Question's mullet.

Munch on
    edited November 2009
    Hey, I just reread GOLDEN AGE last night! Maybe the best thing Robinson has ever done (yes, maybe even better than Starman).

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic. Makes me wish DC set the JSA series in the past.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic. Makes me wish DC set the JSA series in the past.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkk

I feel like no one had ever thought of that. It would've been an infinitely better split than JSA/JSA-All Stars.

Instead it could've been JSA/JSA-Confidential or JSA-Classic, featuring a high profile writer trading off every issue or two.

The entire point of splitting the book was that Johns had given it such a massive base. With the new team on the split, they've most likely just divided that base to two books instead of convincing people to read both. A present book and a past book would've been a much more successful strategy.

That is some good thinking, Robos.

HadjiQuest on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If Byrne and a few other creators are to be believed, there's currently an editorial moritorium on books 'set in the past'.

From the company that did GOLDEN AGE and NEW FRONTIER.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A JSA book from DC set during WW2, and a WW2 Captain America book from Marvel would be fantastic. Especially if Robinson and Brubaker could write them, respectively.

Hensler on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If Byrne and a few other creators are to be believed, there's currently an editorial moritorium on books 'set in the past'.

From the company that did GOLDEN AGE and NEW FRONTIER.

They have a hard enough time keeping continuity straight by just going forwards.

It is a sick idea though.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rorschach spawned a bunch of no-nonsense moral absolutists who seemed to just be a logical extension of Rorschach's character. The problem is that people forget that Rorschach was wrong. Because of this, his successors are seen as just "doing what needs to be done" rather than living out a short-sighted and foolish philosophy, and that completely misses the point of what Moore was trying to do.

I absolutely loved when Dennis O'Neil used Vic Sage to refute Rorschach's ideology and methods in an issue of The Question.

Basically, Vic reads Watchmen during a long flight, and then goes around trying to be more like him, before ultimately concluding, "Rorschach sucks."

In a way, that whole run was kind of an answer to the grim n' gritty heroes of that time. Vic starts off behaving much as he did under Ditko, gets his ass kicked, gets shot in the head, wakes up being cared for by Richard Dragon, learns himself some eastern philosophy, and spends the rest of the series with a very zen outlook on things.

That series would be perfect if not for The Question's mullet.

no the mullet makes it more perfect

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    A JSA book from DC set during WW2, and a WW2 Captain America book from Marvel would be fantastic. Especially if Robinson and Brubaker could write them, respectively.

Read JSA Liberty Files.

It is a really awesome Elseworlds WWII thing. The only bad thing about it really minor-- everyone has black fingernails for some reason.

DouglasDanger on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Another secret shame is that I love the costumes heroes wear. I know these days it's considered to be cooler to wear stuff like body armour or leather or whatever, and I can't stand pants over tights because I honestly think it looks kind of wierd unless it's funky chevron pants like old-school Captain Marvel, but costumes are awesome. Quasar's new costume, for example, is amazingly badass. Sentry's costume. Ms Marvel's old school costume. White Phoenix. Spider-Woman.

Love me a cool costume (or uniform, if you want to go down that route).

Solar on