As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pandora and the 40 Hours of Service

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
Well, Pandora has finalized the royalty issues it was having way back when. Now, they've unveiled a new pricing model to keep them "competitive" - however, the big draw (at least for me) was the free and unlimited streaming Pandora offered to begin with. Considering the new shift I may seek out other streaming services.

However, I do like the random selections I'll get sometimes and the consistent adherence to the channels I've "trained." What do you guys think about paying $36 a year for unlimited streaming? It offered me free streaming until the end of the month for 99 cents as an alternative. Frankly, I'm not even *that* in love with it.

1ddqd on

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So....wait. $36/year or $12/year.

WHICH ONE DO I CHOOSE

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You really listen to more than 40 hours a month? Assuming you do (yikes!) you might look in to Grooveshark or Last.fm. Both free. At least I think Last.fm is free.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You really listen to more than 40 hours a month? Assuming you do (yikes!) you might look in to Grooveshark or Last.fm. Both free. At least I think Last.fm is free.

Last.fm is free in the US and Germany, anywhere else we have to pay $3/month.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

Laws need to seriously catch up with technology and digital business models. What the hell is the difference between Last.fm and Pandora that Pandora has to pay rights?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Laws need to seriously catch up with technology and digital business models. What the hell is the difference between Last.fm and Pandora that Pandora has to pay rights?

Millions of people that the RIAA or whatever could milk

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I'm in Australia, and Grooveshark is free over here, from the looks of it.

TychoCelchuuu, you are a fucking hero.

theSquid on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I use last.fm for random streaming. I don't do much but it has given me good stuff like what I started with when I did.

SirToasty on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Absolutely nothing; last.fm is owned by CBS and the advertising in the US is good enough to cover the fees.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's free in the UK too.

area on
  • RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I heard about a new service in the UK, Spotify, which is supposed to be really great, but it is not yet available in the US.

RuddurBall on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Listening to over 40 hours in a month is pretty easy to do if you tend to just leave Pandora on in the background whenever you're online. Like me. :(

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    So....wait. $36/year or $12/year.

WHICH ONE DO I CHOOSE

To be fair, the $12/year (99c/month) only allows you to listen to more than 40 hours a month, while the 36/year removes ads, gives you a higher quality stream, increases the "timeout" period from 1 hour to 5, gives you access to a desktop application so you don't need a browser, and lets you "skin" Pandora (whatever, but still, it's increased functionality over the standard).

Pirusu on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd gladly pay $36 a year for Pandora. I mean, c'mon. $3 a month? I spend more a day than that on tea.

Esh on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any word on how this affects the iPhone apps and such? Is the iPhone version going to become pay-only now?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I listen to it at work, not actively, but to help pass the time. 5 days a week, 8 hours a day...

...yeah.

I have no trouble tipping them a buck a month for their fantastic service, but it's the principal of the thing.

I have well over 10 months of music at home that I could stream, never hearing the same thing twice. The reason I prefer a service like Pandora (besides the constant update with new artists) is because it provides me an easy interface that is backed by a company with solid tech support and development teams.

Thanks for the grooveshark and last.fm suggestions. I'll give those a shot.

1ddqd on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I listen to it at work, not actively, but to help pass the time. 5 days a week, 8 hours a day...

...yeah.

I have no trouble tipping them a buck a month for their fantastic service, but it's the principal of the thing.

I have well over 10 months of music at home that I could stream, never hearing the same thing twice. The reason I prefer a service like Pandora (besides the constant update with new artists) is because it provides me an easy interface that is backed by a company with solid tech support and development teams.

Thanks for the grooveshark and last.fm suggestions. I'll give those a shot.

1ddqd on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RuddurBall wrote: »
    I heard about a new service in the UK, Spotify, which is supposed to be really great, but it is not yet available in the US.

Spotify is amazing as it has all the major record labels signed up to it. You do get adverts for every 5 or so tracks you stream but the audio quality is amazing.

Ziggymon on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is very disappointing.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • OllibolliOllibolli Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    RuddurBall wrote: »

Spotify is amazing as it has all the major record labels signed up to it. You do get adverts for every 5 or so tracks you stream but the audio quality is amazing.

Spotify is actually a Swedish company, but the service is available in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France and Spain at the moment. I agree that it's amazing, since it has a very wide selection of tracks, which you can play in whatever order you like (which wasn't possible with last.fm last time I used it). It's possible to subscribe to get rid of the ads, with good options such as a day pass for 9 SEK (~$1,15) which is good if you're having a party or something and really don't want ads for a short while. A month of premium service is 99 SEK (~$11,5) in Sweden.

Ollibolli on