As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need technical assistance!

Dark HelmetDark Helmet Registered User regular
First off, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum. I figured it was either here of help/advice - and the other forum was filled with anything but tech questions.

My girlfriend did something to her computer, and now I am having fun trying to figure out how to undo it.
She has a headset she is trying to use with vent while playing WoW and she finally got the headset to work, but now her speakers wont work. Unplugging the headset did nothing, rebooting has also yielded no results. Of course now the headset is not working again either. So now she has no sound at all.

Anyone ever heard of this? Computer speakers stop working after trying to set up a headset?

warrioricon4.pngrogueicon1.pngpaladinicon1.pnghuntericon2.png

And my poor Death Knight that couldn't afford an icon.
Dark Helmet on

• SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think you need to go into the control panel and tell windows what to use for playback. The headset may have f'd with the settings.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    First off, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum. I figured it was either here of help/advice - and the other forum was filled with anything but tech questions.

My girlfriend did something to her computer, and now I am having fun trying to figure out how to undo it.
    She has a headset she is trying to use with vent while playing WoW and she finally got the headset to work, but now her speakers wont work. Unplugging the headset did nothing, rebooting has also yielded no results. Of course now the headset is not working again either. So now she has no sound at all.

Anyone ever heard of this? Computer speakers stop working after trying to set up a headset?

Is it a USB headset ?

lilB on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have you checked to make sure she didn't zero the volume, or mute the output in the mixer while fiddling with the mic settings? I've done that before.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dark HelmetDark Helmet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sorry for the late reply. Her built-in sound card fried. We went and purchased a USB soundcard (didn't even know such things existed!) And now she is back on vent. Appreciate the interest though, I was hoping it was something silly like she had it muted.

Dark Helmet on
    warrioricon4.pngrogueicon1.pngpaladinicon1.pnghuntericon2.png

And my poor Death Knight that couldn't afford an icon.