As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 Purchase Preparedness Thread

NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
I was planning to sell my Wii and finally get myself an Xbox 360. I've never owned an Xbox system and just wanted to know what accessories and games I should get.

Things I plan on doing with the system:

Playing games online (of course)
Downloading games from arcade
I plan on using the wireless controller
I plan on getting SF4, so I could use a fighter stick
Getting stuff for my live avatar
Need to know how to hook the system up to PC monitor

If you plan on recommending some games, stuff I like includes:

Action RPGs
Fighting games
Action based shooters ( like Gears of War )
Platformers

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can give me.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
Ninjabear on

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get two controllers! If you're lucky, they might have a cheaper, wired one in stock and it is pretty much a must-have. Also, you might as well buy some MS points when you get the system.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You will want your 360 on the internet. You can either run Ethernet cable to it (which is practically free) or buy the wireless adapter (which is a ridiculous $99).

To hook it to a PC monitor, you can buy an official VGA adapter (I think mine was $50). If you already have a PC plugged into the monitor, you might have problems. My PC runs to my monitor's DVI port and my 360 ran to the VGA port so I was OK, but not all setups are like mine. My brother bought a switchbox so he could switch from PC to 360. Or I suppose you can always switch cables a bunch.

Most PC monitors don't have any sound, so you'll probably need to run the audio out of the 360 and into your PC's audio input.

Serule on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Depending on the system you buy you'll most likely get a wireless controller and a hard drive. So for most things you're good to go. I'm not sure if they package in the rechargeable battery packs/charge cord with their systems, but if you have a wireless controller and not the recharging pack/cable get one because they're hella useful.

Since you seem to be into action, fighting and rpgs you'll probably be able to find some good games on disc and arcade, but here's some suggestions off the to of my head

Fallout 3
    Gears 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Mass Effect
    'Splosion man (neat platformer, heard it's good)

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Picture and sound: I use the vga-cable and a VGA-switch for my 360 and pc into a pc-monitor. Then for sound a rca-to-stereo (female) adapter with TurtleBeach X1 (because it can boost chat voices independently, since headsets plugged in this way get too low incoming chat-volume).

Batteries: I recommend getting a regular battery-charger with rechargeable AA:s, cheaper and more perfomance than the so called battery packs out there.(Or if you do get a battery pack do not have it plugged in all the time so it overcharges the batteries.)

Gold and points: MS-points are cheapest directly from MS unless there is a sale. Live Gold time however is much more expensive from MS, so get those from stores.

Wireless: HOW TO: Cheap Wireless For Your Xbox 360 if you are technically able and must use a wireless connection.

Cheap games: SavyGamer by our very own LewieP for game-related bargains.

Get a 360-pack with a harddrive, you will install games to the harddrive and download DLC, Movies, games and whatever so a dinky memory card will not cut it.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Word of advice - unless your 360 is going to sit right next to the wireless router, don't get the terrible wireless adapter. It's awful. If you want a decent online experience then go ahead and do your best to run CAT5 to it. Do it right.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg