As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

San Diego Comic-Con '09 News Thread

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Below the spoiler is the one page Fables tale they've always done, although this one actually foreshadow's the future of the series (kind of sad too):
    fables-sdcc09rev.jpg

And this picture freaks me out for some reason:

fraction-vision.jpg

There was a kid in the audience at the Dark Reign panel and they let him come on stage and sit with the panel. I think what freaks me out about it is that there is a kid who likes Vision to the point he would dress up as him. Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Hulk, Spidey, yes; but Vision?

TexiKen on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    matt fraction doesn't seem fat and/or bald enough to write comics

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    As good as some of the stories are in Fables, let's not have any illusions about the dialogue. It's stilted 100% of the time, and if it didn't have pretty good art and a solid story behind it, it would be a big deal. But when the story hits a lull, like it did in the last trade, it's really tough to read.

War and Pieces was a lull, or did they release the arc that was after it already?

TexiKen on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    As good as some of the stories are in Fables, let's not have any illusions about the dialogue. It's stilted 100% of the time, and if it didn't have pretty good art and a solid story behind it, it would be a big deal. But when the story hits a lull, like it did in the last trade, it's really tough to read.

War and Pieces was a lull, or did they release the arc that was after it already?

War and Pieces was a lull, at least for me. And it was definitely not as good as the Good Prince.

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    Scott Pilgrim the Video Game

Described by Ubisoft as a side scrolling beat 'em up.

TexiKen on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I don't know if I'd describe the dialogue as stilted - I'd definitely say it's stylized, but I think it fits with what the characters 'should' sound like. Similar to how Miller wrote some of the early Sin City stuff (before he went completely off the rails). I agree that the Willingham/Bucky team is what makes the book work, though - it's not the same book when there's a different artist.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2009
    The Mike Alred issues are always a treat (and #76 is an Alred epilogue story that was quite good).

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scott Pilgrim the Video Game

Described by Ubisoft as a side scrolling beat 'em up.

I literally just gasped. This will be the greatest thing ever.

Robos A Go Go on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, this Scott Pilgrim stuff. It is good? The comics I mean.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Scott Pilgrim is the best comic book released in any year that a Scott Pilgrim book is released.

Check this thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=88389

deadonthestreet on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    but I have it on good word that I would hate Scott Pilgrim

so if you are a carbon copy of me (and who wouldn't want to be) don't read scott pilgrim

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Scott Pilgrim is the best comic book released in any year that a Scott Pilgrim book is released.

Check this thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=88389

Not according to the Eisners. I'm pretty sure most people who can stand a Punch:Word ratio that is lower than 1 wouldn't mind it at least.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There was a kid in the audience at the Dark Reign panel and they let him come on stage and sit with the panel. I think what freaks me out about it is that there is a kid who likes Vision to the point he would dress up as him. Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Hulk, Spidey, yes; but Vision?

Maybe he's a Young Avengers fan. Vision is a central character in those.

Desktop Hippie on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Avengers cartoon show was only on for a season, but I see the TV show on pretty regularly (I think it comes on Disney) and the Vision was the main character in that. Maybe the kid watches the show.

Hensler on
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    The Avengers cartoon show was only on for a season, but I see the TV show on pretty regularly (I think it comes on Disney) and the Vision was the main character in that. Maybe the kid watches the show.

I remember seeing commercials for it but I never watched it. Is that the one that doesn't have Captain America in it (it was Hawkeye and Tigra and others, right)?

TexiKen on
    edited July 2009

I remember seeing commercials for it but I never watched it. Is that the one that doesn't have Captain America in it (it was Hawkeye and Tigra and others, right)?

Yeah... Hawkeye, Tigra, Wonderman, Vision, and for some reason, the Falcon. I can't remember who else was in it. Cap showed up in one or two episodes. It's been a long time since I actually sat through an episode. I think Pym was there, too.

Hensler on
    edited July 2009
    Here is the teaser for Robinson's JLA lineup:

jlapinup_sol-02.jpg

So you have Donna, Mon-EL (neat costume change), Dick, Hal, and who else?

It looks like Starfire in the middle right rear, and Congorilla in the top left. I think that may be Vixen in the bottom left.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2009
    Why would Mon-El wear the Superman logo?

Robos A Go Go on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What's a mon-el?

Also more Hal? Uggggg.

Looks like the person in the middle is on fire?

deadonthestreet on
    edited July 2009
    I think that may be Vixen in the bottom left.

Dan Didio said Vixen's staying on the team in his Comic-Con 20 questions, so I'd say that is her.

Hensler on
    edited July 2009

Mon-El is actually his alias name that Superman gave him, and that's the symbol for the house of El.

Hensler on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Mon-El is actually his alias name that Superman gave him, and that's the symbol for the house of El.
    And let's face it, if one of the world's biggest heroes gave you permission to use his symbol, you would wouldn't you?

Also the most interesting thing about those Eisners is finding out there's a hardcover reprint of Sam and Max - Surfing the Highway!

Wildcat on
  • Juan DimensionalJuan Dimensional Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    matt fraction doesn't seem fat and/or bald enough to write comics

I saw him at HeroesCon this year and I pretty much thought the same thing.
    Much too hip and disinterested to be writing comics. Of course he could have just looked disinterested because he was sitting next to Bendis who was passing around a giant box of cookies to the people in his book signing line.

Juan Dimensional on
    edited July 2009
    Eisner winners announced

Best Continuing Series

* All Star Superman. by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (DC)

Maybe I'm not understanding the rules of the Eisners, but I was pretty sure that All Star Superman was a limited series.

Juan Dimensional on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It keeps continuing I guess?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited July 2009
    But it, like, ended...

I'm so confused.

Juan Dimensional on
    edited July 2009
    They probably consider a limited series as "contains X issues" and a continuing series as "contains more than X issues".

Robos A Go Go on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aren't they doing a few more All-Star Superman issues anyways? I mean, sort of just 1-off issues (maybe before the whole series started, since they couldn't really do any after it ended).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited July 2009
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Whatever that Megan Fox movie is, I look forward to seeing it because I am really tired of all the serial killers/monsters in horror movies being or looking male.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited July 2009
    There have been plenty of movies about killer women.

Robos A Go Go on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure i see a quiver and some arrows, so either green or red arrow in that JLA picture. Middle Left.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    H*R wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure i see a quiver and some arrows, so either green or red arrow in that JLA picture. Middle Left.

Is Red Arrow still on the JLA?

Because Green Arrow is on the Cry for Justice Team.

I also have a feeling we'll be getting Captain Marvel (Jr.) on the team, as well, but I haven't studied the promo too heavily as of yet.

Edit: Didio has said we'll see much more of Ollie in the comic year as a major DCU player, and he's also said that JLA will become the most important DC book once again after Robinson takes over, leading into next year's big event. So it's pretty safe to assume it's Ollie, especially since Wiki says Red Arrow has left the team.

HadjiQuest on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Whatever that Megan Fox movie is, I look forward to seeing it because I am really tired of all the serial killers/monsters in horror movies being or looking male.

Speciesver3.jpg

Alien-Queen-statue-signature.jpg

betsypalmer.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    yes bale yes I love you

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Am I doing it right?
    mib2-knoxville-boyle.jpg

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Am I doing it right?
    mib2-knoxville-boyle.jpg

THAT MOVIE NEVER HAPPENED!

Hensler on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    I love Men in Black 2

Not like "Oh, it's not so bad"

I love that movie (Bad Boys 2, too)

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2009
    keith there is nothing wrong with loving bad boys 2

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also:

misery_l.jpg

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!