As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problem after re-format

Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state universityRegistered User regular
So today I decided I wanted to re-format my hdd to clean up my system and speed it up a tad. The reformat itself went fine but now when I boot just before windows starts loading a grey progress bar appears and it takes nearly 15 minutes before windows starts to load. It seems to be ongoing and not getting any faster. Any idea what has happened?

Gear Girl on

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You did reinstall Windows afterward, right?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Haha yes. I also just tried to use windows update and it gave me a blue screen about something to do with my hdd driver which I have to install from a floppy during the re-format. I guess wither the hdd is fucked or the driver itself. Hmm what the hell.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Open your BIOS, and set the disc controller to ATA/IDE mode

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Open your BIOS, and set the disc controller to ATA/IDE mode

I can not for the life of me find a setting for this. I know next to nothing about bios settings so feel free to be more specific if it is needed.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ya getting that blue screen right when windows loads now.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That usually means that Windows can't load from boot disc because of some reason.

If you are using a SATA drive, you need to look for the setting in your BIOS to switch it

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Should be something about AHCI or IDE/Legacy.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What version of Windows is this?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What version of windows, windows xp? And did you recover from a set of discs, or from a partition or option on the hard drive, like system restore?

It sounds like either a malware infection stuck around through a restore and was able to embed a bit better in the system(possible if it was recovered from the drive), or you're missing a controller/similar for the drive. Go in to your BIOS and see if there are any options relating to legacy, SATA, ide/ATA or if you see anything about AHCI. If so, let us know.

Have you tried booting the computer to safe mode?

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It is windows xp home. Took it to a shop because I was getting fed up and don't know what I'm doing. He diagnosed a problem with the hdd and put a new one in. Now with a completely fresh install I am getting the fucking blue screen again. It happened at first while using windows update but then all the time. It once again is to do with the driver I install during the restore process by hitting f6 at the beginning to specify additional blah blah whatever it says. I guess I'll take it back to the shop I dunno

Oh also installing the new hdd has gotten rid of the ultra boot time but not the bsod.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    XP doesn't have native SATA support, which is why you were adding them in the install. They're not the right ones, I'm guessing, because it isn't working.

The best thing you can do to help us help you is give us your BIOS version, that way one of us can dig up a manual on it and give you the steps to change it from AHCI to IDE/legacy.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok give me a moment to see what I can see in the bios or find the version.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Phoenix technologies, ltd ASUS a7n8x-e deluxe acpi bios rev 1013, 11/22/2004

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also the new hdd is apprently a seagate 250gb 7200rpm sataii 8mb if that is at all useful.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also the only place I see any of those acronyms is on the main bios page where it has the masters and slaves. The only one with anything showing is the secondary master and under that heading I see IDE hdd auto detection with an option to press enter. IDE secondary master with options for none auto and manual currently set to auto. Also access mode with options for chs lba large and auto currently set to auto. Same options under the other masters and slaves. Sorry for the bad grammar I am typing this on an iPod.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I am so smrt. I went into the device manager super quick before the bsod came up and tried an auto update for the silicon image sil 3112 sataraid controller which is what the driver was for. Windows found a new one and installed bam no more bsod.

Thanks for the help everyone. Go ahead and lock this mods.

Gear Girl on