As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TLB's Secret Community Project - Finally Revealed

The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Graphic Violence
I was gonna put this in the Graphic Violence Activities thread but I am too lazy and also an egomaniac and fuck that noise.

So our next forum activity?

GV is making a fucking comic book

But, TLB, you ask, how vague can you get?

To this I say shut the fuck up and keep reading. But I also say, that together, as a community, we are gonna put together and anthology book around a central theme I came up with that gives us the most free-reign and least continuity errors should we want to do this semi-regularly.

So, now I know you wanna know what the hell the theme is, well buckle your safety belts, nancy boys and read this here pitch that I have only shared with 5 people (geebs, anjinsan, bale, blank, and jordyn) before deciding to say fuck it and give the go ahead:

I was reading O.M.A.C. by Jack Kirby and the idea hit me -- super hero draft. See, the whole gist of O.M.A.C. is that he is just some dude they picked and a satellite, Brother Eye just zaps the fucker and he has super powers, and whenever he has to do something rad as fuck, Brother Eye zaps him again and he becomes boss as hell.

So, instead of having someone willing to be this hero, why not make it anyone and everyone as a citizen of the United States of America over the age of 18 has to register to be zapped by a super hero beam whenever supervillain shenanigans break out and they are nearby?

It can be anyone. Some people will think it is the greatest thing ever to be a superhero and have a sentient satellite talking to you all the time. Sometimes it'll be an annoyance. Sometimes it won't be the first time this has happened to you. Hell, sometimes you might decide to be a villain yourself. Who knows what can happen!

This'll be a world where there are honest-to-goodness real superheroes and villains, but man they can't be everywhere. So, some unlucky Insurance Broker in Tuscaloosa has to go fight say Dr. Doom just because he is in the wrong place at the wrong time and all the while he's got this annoying satellite giving him instructions and just when he gets used to it and finds a way to defeat the villain, its right back to Insurance Brokering. How the hell do you explain that to you boss? Sorry, dude, I was gonna come to work but I had to go fight Galactus. My bad.

It can be a bunch of done-in-one stories or whatever and can have as much silver age wackiness as possible since the satellite can give them any power they want ever

pretty dang rad, huh?

Now, as for how it will work, I will first need to gauge the amount of writers and artists who would participate. I need to get as many writers as possible to pitch ideas, and a stable of artists who can not only pitch story ideas, but be comfortable drawing other people's stories if the need be. My end-game plan is to get the dang thing published either on a website or a physical form but that will be far down the road and we ain't gotta worry about that yet.

I am not only gonna write some stories, but I am going to be editing all the writing. This is not to say I will change a single word you write, I am just gonna make sure it fits with the theme and what minuscule continuity, if any, we build up in this maintains intact. If all goes smoothly, I won't have to do a damn thing and will only call myself editor because I like titles.

Of course I left the biggest question for last: how does your story get picked for the anthology? Well, it's a dual layer quality assurance system. Everyone who has an idea for a story to write can PM me with a short, paragraph long pitch about the basics of their story. If I think it can work, it'll go in this thread or another thread and we'll all vote on the stories we want to see. The artists then, if they did not pitch any writing, can pick and choose and fight amongst themselves for which one they wanna draw real good.

And don't think that this is limited to solely GV posters. I wanna bring every and anyone into the fold who can do a bang-up job with either art or writing.

Just don't start sending me story idea PMs right now. Gotta get a feel on what kind of interest we can get, particularly from artists as they gotta feasibly do more work.

UPDATES:

Alright, little doggies. This thing, much like Paul Kersey's bloodlust, would not wither and die with age.

With a lot of help from the lovely Quoth, we are back with a vengeance.

Here is the website:

http://www.sentryduty.com/

Here is the scripts:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showp...&postcount=436
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showp...&postcount=481
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showp...&postcount=514
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showp...&postcount=539
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showp...&postcount=386

Here is the art:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16282338&postcount=330
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=11322993&postcount=183
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=11440063&postcount=213
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=11206607&postcount=336
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16281713&postcount=320

there are also some scripts and art on the site, but not all of the scripts because jerkfaces ain't givin' they real names

Right now, I ain't taking any new scripts unless you will draw them yourself and actually give me a script first and will actually draw the dang thing for real this time.

So let's get this thing rolling.

If you guys fail me again, me and Quoth will hunt you down like dogs

As of now the writer/artist teams are:

Me and Squidbunny

Manon drawing his own script

Spectre-X and Douglas Danger

Mully and Quoth

7656367.jpg
The Lovely Bastard on

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was going to say your idea was bad and you should feel bad.

But I actually like your concept. it has potential.

You should still feel bad though.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    sentry officially banned from participating

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Super villain crashes into a strip club.

What happens when Candy Cane and Bubbles are deputized as Super Women

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited July 2009
    sentry officially banned from participating

Not gonna lie... I think the quality of your project just took a significant hit.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited July 2009
    yes

exactly

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2009
    a hit of awesome

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2009
    a hit of awesome

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    That's actually a really cool concept. Some questions I have right now:

- Will there be an opening story (or introduction) to set up the concept so that it doesn't need to be brought up in the individual stories, or should the stories be written like they're the first?

- It seems like if this is done (not really being pessimistic about it, just going with the track record of these things), and there is ever any money made from it at all, there will be a huge CF of legal issues. Maybe you should cover the bases in this area?

- I want top billing and I won't settle for less

Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, how long should the stories be?

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2009
    actually I am gonna write the whole first story that sets it up via a kid super jazzed to become a super hero just turning 18 to get people up to snuff with what is going on and how things work so you have no need to mention them again.

when we get to the whole publication aspect of things, I will make up a contract for everyone, basically giving x amount of royalties for your stories when things have the ability to make any money to begin with. it'll be a standard amount and everyone that contributes can all get together and we'll discuss how much people get to keep and how much goes back into the project to keep it going. don't wanna worry about no cash monies right now

as for length - right now, I'd aim for 6-10 pages though it may get larger or smaller depending on the amount of quality material we get.

keith you can have top billing for your stories

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't write and am shit at drawing, but your idea receives my seal of approval nonetheless.

Wildcat on
    edited July 2009
    I've got an idea for one. You need to unban me from your project.

Seriously, I got this thing in the bag. It's a bag with a dollar sign on it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited July 2009
    you need to convince me to unban you

grovel

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I could write for this. I can write things.

Centipede Damascus on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm finally going to have some free time again in about two weeks, so I'm in to do some writing and art.

I'd caution against getting too ambitious right out of the gate, and maybe focus on just getting a few stories scripted, then go about looking for artists. If you can get even twenty or thirty pages of content completed, you'll have done much better than most people who attempt these things.

That said, I've already got a story in mind, and I'm willing to do pages for someone else, as long as their story isn't terrible, as my terrible art will already bring the terrible quotient to a dangerously high level.

Munch on
    edited July 2009
    I am not getting ambitious in looking for artists, i just wanna make sure I can get enough who would tentatively agree to to it so it's not a pile of scripts and me begging you to draw it all

it's easy to find writers on the internet

it's hard to find artists with talent

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So my first impression is that this sounds a little like Global Frequency. But even more awesome.

I'd love to see a story about a clerical mix up where the wrong Johnny Smith gets zapped and has no idea what the hell's going on.

Kiwi on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Super villain crashes into a strip club.

What happens when Candy Cane and Bubbles are deputized as Super Women

We already have Tarot.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    look the world needs more haunted vaginas

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Great job coming up with this, Bastard! I'm so thrilled to see what comes of it and hope I can make a writerly contribution of my own.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dammit TLB how many 80s action movie stars do I gotta draw to qualify for this horse race

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
    edited July 2009
    none!

you can totally do it because you do good art

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heyyo.
    I know I don't really post around here anymore (not that I did much anyway when I did), but:
    This is awesome. I really want it to succeed!

TLB, you have a point about it being easy to find writers on the 'net, so if find yourself getting a lot of scripts, and if you'd like, I'd love to volunteer as they kind of editor that does the boring stuff like grammar/spelling/etc on any scripts you get. I'm two thirds of the way certified into being an English teacher, so it goes without saying that I like that stuff. Don't want this to come off as position begging, I just actually really like this idea, and I'd love to do anything I could to see it get off the ground.

I can't actually volunteer as a writer, as I don't know how much free time I'll have once I start teaching, but I'd be more than willing to help out people with writer's block or something. If I do end up having the time, I'll definitely pitch some ideas.

Edit: Whoops, misread your post as saying you don't want to be the editor that changes writing. Still, my volunteering stands in case you get an influx or something.

Best of luck!

Skullo on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tlb i am sad you did not share this with me before

Sars_Boy on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want in on this. For reals.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited July 2009
    Skullo wrote: »
    Heyyo.
    I know I don't really post around here anymore (not that I did much anyway when I did), but:
    This is awesome. I really want it to succeed!

TLB, you have a point about it being easy to find writers on the 'net, so if find yourself getting a lot of scripts, and if you'd like, I'd love to volunteer as they kind of editor that does the boring stuff like grammar/spelling/etc on any scripts you get. I'm two thirds of the way certified into being an English teacher, so it goes without saying that I like that stuff. Don't want this to come off as position begging, I just actually really like this idea, and I'd love to do anything I could to see it get off the ground.

I can't actually volunteer as a writer, as I don't know how much free time I'll have once I start teaching, but I'd be more than willing to help out people with writer's block or something. If I do end up having the time, I'll definitely pitch some ideas.

Edit: Whoops, misread your post as saying you don't want to be the editor that changes writing. Still, my volunteering stands in case you get an influx or something.

Best of luck!

skullo I will totally be fixing grammar and spelling here and there if need be before it goes to the artists, and if I get inundated I'd gladly ask for your help
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    tlb i am sad you did not share this with me before

look it was originally gonna be an idea for the create a hero thing geebs is running but I realized it would never work for it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So yeah, this pulls me out of lurking for a few years.

This is really a great idea. You said you're looking for artists, and me and my fiance are artists that have been trying to come up with some kind of story idea lately without much success...but this has both of our interest. What must we do to prove ourselves worthy beyond actually showing some art?

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am atrocious at art. Sar where the poop have you been. I can write alright. This is a good idea. I reiterate, if I draw anything, it will be stick-men in mspaint. Which could tell a story, but seriously I'm bad at art.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited July 2009
    really if you can art just post a sample and be fine with the fact you are drawing someone else's words

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm down. I've already got a couple ideas percolating since reading the pitch!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2009
    and guys don't worry about getting me your PMs with paragraph pitches til after the deadline for the create a hero/villain thing

I don't wanna take away from anyone's involvement with that

as for any artist who wants to join: if I've never seen your work, just shoot me a PM with a sample or two. doesn't have to be of anything in particular just an idea of how you work

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maybe you might want to crosspost this in the AC or something?

Centipede Damascus on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd be all about writing prose for this to flesh out the universe. But I'm a travel writer and don't know anything about scripting a comic book.

Hensler on
    edited July 2009
    I actually PMed all the AC mods to see if it would be cool to post there too

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    This sounds like a neat project. I would say that I'd like to participate but I have a really bad track record with pulling through on projects like this. I really hope that this works out for you guys.

Grifter on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sounds like a nice mix between dial h for hero and war heroes.

KVW on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i'll give this a shot but i don't expect it to be good

Sars_Boy on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Interesting idea. Dial H for Hero, some Nova mixed in with it, possibility of making an SHRA-type law that works and isn't mismanaged from issue to issue.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    i'll give this a shot but i don't expect it to be good

Yeah. I mean it's a great idea, but uh

I have no faith in the people here (myself included)

Garlic Bread on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I've got a list of questions about the premise that will probably be answered (potentially) through my pitches. I'm barely even thinking about awesome fights, to be honest.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee