As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broadcast Cable: Worth It?

A BearA Bear Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Anyone here have broadcast cable? I'm moving to a new city in a week and am looking at setting up a workable low-budget internet/TV deal. Looking over Time Warner's webpage, they advertise a $8.25/mo package with about a dozen broadcast and local channels--channels I could presumably get from the air for the cost of a converter box and rabbit ears. I don't really watch much TV anyways, but the fiance watches some. Still, if these channels are presumably the exact same as free over-the-air ones, why pay? I'm going to get their roadrunner "lite" internet either way probably, should I just try to manage some sort of package price drop?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A Bear on

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Antennas are pretty bad depending on where you are, I have never had any that worked well. You should be able to get some sort of package deal but they will probably want you to upgrade, although it shouldn't cost too much more than just the internet would. Sometimes it is even cheaper than just internet for 6 months, then you can downgrade and get a different package deal if you want. I have been doing something like this for two years now. It isn't a scam at all, they offer it to you if you ask.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I get it in my apartment with my roommates. It doesn't cost us any extra because we already get cable internet from the same company anyway. We get all the broadcast stations, TV guide channel, two flavors of PBS, CSPAN, Discovery Channel and Discovery Health, and BET for some reason.

Pure Din on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Look at it this way. Do you like fumbling with antennas, or do you like your reception to be spot on? If you like the latter, that's what you're going to get with cable.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For what it's worth, digital OTA reception is really hit-or-miss in cities. There's way too much RF interference from everything.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have broadcast cable because it's essentially free ($10 a month for a $10 discount on my internet).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Same as Than for me -- $10 cable for a $15 discount. It saves me money to get the 12 channels I don't watch.

Incidentally, with digital TV you should have an "all or nothing" signal, so if you can pick it up, it should look fantastic compared to an analog cable connection. But not everyone can pick it up, which is why this option is both available and cheap from cable companies.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What city are you moving to? There's a really good forum dedicated to all things AV - http://www.avsforum.com/ that I've used when choosing an antenna and setting everything up. For Chicago at least, it lists all the available channels, their power, their location, and gives antenna recommendations. I live about 40 miles from downtown Chicago, and with a ~$40 antenna can pick up all but the lowest power over-the-air stations. With a $100 antenna I could get everything (30-40 channels).

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know it's not exactly what you're asking, but if you have a 360 or PS3 you could get Playon. Then you can can stream Hulu and stuff to your TV. It's $40. You could just use that and an antenna/

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We are moving to Winston-Salem, NC--not exactly a major market for anything (except maybe cigarettes and Krispy Kreme doughnuts) and right now we lack either a 360 or PS3. I got a quote from Time Warner today and it seems like all their bundle deals are reserved for digital cable, my options would be as follows:
    • $52.40: Digital Cable and Roadrunner Basic (1.5/256)
    • $41.98: Broadcast Cable and RR Basic
    • $34.95: RR Basic*
    • $33.98: Broadcast Cable and RR Lite (768/128)
    • $19.95: RR Lite*

*These are pulled right from the website, and thus lack additional taxes and fees.

If I want a faster internet, the price points are seductive--but I don't really want to be paying that much right now. Also, I'd prefer more internet over more TV anyday, so where to draw the line? Any secret tactics to bring out when dealing with getting these services?

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A Bear wrote: »
    If I want a faster internet, the price points are seductive--but I don't really want to be paying that much right now. Also, I'd prefer more internet over more TV anyday, so where to draw the line? Any secret tactics to bring out when dealing with getting these services?
    Is there another provider? I got a slightly better deal on my internet service after threatening to go with AT&T (I was bluffing, cuz AT&T's service is terrible.)

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There is DSL--Earthlink and Bellsouth are the two I could find availability for. And satellite/broadcast for TV if I wanted to try that route too.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]