As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sanity price check on mobile GPU

ironsizideironsizide You must whip itRegistered User regular
The graphics card on my mobile PC died - an nVidia 8800M GTX w/512 MB. I sent it back to the company I bought the PC from, and according to them the manufacturer said the card couldn't be repaired and that a new one would have to be purchased at $750. That price seems little high to me. o_O

Anyone here "in the know" able to tell if this is insane or not? I mean, I can buy a new desktop rig that would be more powerful for less than that!

|_
Oo\ Ironsizide
camo_sig2.png
ironsizide on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sounds unreasonable, but most laptop manufacturers do this because the parts in laptops tend to be proprietary. Shop around elsewhere, or take the money and apply it towards a new machine.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sounds unreasonable, but most laptop manufacturers do this because the parts in laptops tend to be proprietary. Shop around elsewhere, or take the money and apply it towards a new machine.

Bingo. They've got you bent over a barrel with your pants down.

What make/model of machine? You might be able to find a replacement or compatible part - if it's an MXM module you might be in luck, as those are somewhat of a standard.

But really, it might be time to just take that $750, put it towards a new rig, and sell the laptop as-is for parts.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's what I was afraid of. The machine is a Sager NP5793 built on the Clevo M57RU chassis. The GPU circuit board is incased in a copper sleeve with a copper tube that leads to a heatsink. Here is an excellent article showing how the card is installed into the PC.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hmm. Looks like you should be able to use any MXM-III card in there, but you might want to ask the guys over at NoteBookReview about that.

Also check in with the MXM-Upgrade forum - if you can find someone who's already done an upgrade, they might be willing to pass on the other card for a lot less.

YMMV, and I've never handled that specific notebook. Ask around and do homework before buying anything.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The new desktop is looking like a better and better idea. A follow up question: I have a turbo memory module and a 2.5" SATA drive new in the machine. Is there a way to use them in a new desktop rig?

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ironsizide wrote: »
    The new desktop is looking like a better and better idea. A follow up question: I have a turbo memory module and a 2.5" SATA drive new in the machine. Is there a way to use them in a new desktop rig?

No and yes.

The "Turbo Memory Module" is probably flash memory on a miniPCIe card, and you won't be finding many desktop boards that support those.

The 2.5" SATA drive though, that will just plug straight into any normal desktop SATA setup. You might have to get a 2.5" to 3.5" mounting kit, or use shock cord to mount it. But 3.5" drives are typically bigger, cheaper, and faster.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I'd ditch the HD if I hadn't just paid for it. It's a 320GB 7200 RPM so it's not too slow. I can always upgrade the drive or add a new on in later on, but it will save me a couple bucks right now. I store my media in USB drives any way, so I just don't need 1TB of storage for my main HD.

I thank you for all of your help! Off to the PC build thread!

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    See if you can find a portable enclosure. :wink:

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png