As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Connecting 360 to Live via PC

mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
Bought a 360 earlier today and rather than splurging on a wireless adaptor for it I decided to connect it to my internet connection via my PC.

Ive connected the 360 to my PC's ethernet port and enabled network sharing on my wireless connection, but when I try and connect to Live I fail the DNS test. I've tried changing the prefered DNS server on my PC to the same as my wireless connection, but still no go.

Any ideas?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
mere_immortal on

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You have to bridge the wired and wireless connections. Highlight both of them in the network connections window, right click, "Bridge Connections"

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Be careful -- bridging is used *instead of* internet connection sharing, not along with it. I think it would work better than ICS though.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tried bridging, but I lose all access to the internet as soon as I bridge my standard wireless interent connection

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you've got static IP set up, you need to go into the bridge properties and set them in there.

I never found the bridging to work very well in XP, but in 7 and I'm assuming Vista it works like a charm. It's coincidental, really, because I picked up a 360 just yesterday and have it bridged through my machine over wireless.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hmmm, set up my standard connection details for the bridge (I'm assuming in proerties > TCP/IP) but still no connection at all.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hmmm, found this little piece of advice that worked.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2. In the command window, type netsh bridge show

3. Note the number assigned to the wireless adapter and type netsh bridge set a 1 e where you substitute the number displayed in the previous step for the number 1 in this step.

4. To double check the wireless card is correctly set with Force Compatibility Mode enabled, type the netsh bridge show a command again.

Probelm is, although the bridge works now, the DNS test on the 360 is still failing.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Another update. Connected the 360 directly to my wireless router downstairs and works fine, downloaded the new dashboard etc, so its not a router problem. But as soon as i took it back and connected to my PC it refuses to connect again.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would guess the 360 is trying to use your PC as the dns server.. which it is probably not set up to be doing.

I only know how to fix this under linux, under windows I'd guess I'd try manually setting the dns server, or look around for some kind of simple caching DNS server for windows. I would have assumed windows bridging feature would set this up automatically.. but I guess that's not the case.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thinking back to when I was borrowing a friend's 360 a year ago, I had trouble using static IP and bridging. It was only recently that I set it up to use both static and dynamic on my network, and it seems to be working like a charm.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Its so infuriating. Opened the relevant ports on my router, but dont see why it would make a difference as it works when connected directly to the router.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had this problem, you need a crossover ethernet cable.

RuddurBall on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, bought one today and it worked fine.

Thanks for lying in your literature and website Microsoft!

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, they 'claim' that the 360 can flip the bits with no need for crossover cable, but I've never seen one do it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That explains why I always had problems with bridging. I just figured my intermediate PC was being a piece of shit and dropping packets.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to have to chime in say this was a problem for me as well. I tried to route though a PC hooked into my wireless-n network. I could just see it, my Wii & PS3 sitting there taunting my 360 for lack of wireless and gigabyte ethernet.

Edit: apparently monoprice seems to have a special xBox cable for this.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's nothing special about it.. it's a standard ethernet crossover cable.

xzzy on