As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lets go kill some Pirates

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was smart enough to be quiet about wanting to bait and slaughter black people

The Black Hunter on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Your name wasn't quite clever enough though.

Burning Organ on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    shit I didn't notice

The Black Hunter on
    edited July 2009
    You would've got away with it too, if it wasn't for us meddling internet peoples.

Burning Organ on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    taranis is a real treat

this is very entertaining

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well wanting to be a security dude and wanting to gat some Somali, who has basically been forced to become a criminal due to crippling poverty and the extremely remorseless polution of his waters by foreign corporate entities, those are two different things.

Metzger Meister on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    So a desire to join a maritime security group that operates in the Indian ocean is no way related to security.

Good to know.

Please to be explaining how paying to go on a cruise to shoot pirates is joining a maritime security group

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009
    I thought you got paid for that kind of stuff.

I didn't think you'd be the one paying out of your ass.

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    So a desire to join a maritime security group that operates in the Indian ocean is no way related to security.

Good to know.

Please to be explaining how paying to go on a cruise to shoot pirates is joining a maritime security group
    this is hilarious because you were also creaming your jeans about how great it would be to go shoot pirates

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009

Good to know.

This is a thread about going on a russian cruise to hunt pirates you fucking dunce

Unknown User on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I knew I should have posted my somali-pirate-economics-flash-game in the science thread.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited July 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

Good to know.

this is hilarious because you were also creaming your jeans about how great it would be to go shoot pirates

Never said I was joining a maritime security group here

I'm doing the semantics dance because I'm trying not to be a hypocrite OK

Me Too! on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well wanting to be a security dude and wanting to gat some Somali, who has basically been forced to become a criminal due to crippling poverty and the extremely remorseless polution of his waters by foreign corporate entities, those are two different things.

So they're pirates with hearts of gold. We should let them be?

If you're cruising around in the Indian ocean and people (regardless of race or nationality) attempt to kidnap you and hold you for ransom, it's only ok to defend yourself as long as you weren't there looking for them? By that logic undercover cops are acting unethically.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    So.... A undercover cop working in his jurisdiction to arrest drug manufacturers == a bunch of guys going on a boat in Somalia trying to bait pirates so they can kill them?

Burning Organ on
  • Punchy McFistPunchy McFist Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So they're pirates with hearts of gold. We should let them be?

If you're cruising around in the Indian ocean and people (regardless of race or nationality) attempt to kidnap you and hold you for ransom, it's only ok to defend yourself as long as you weren't there looking for them? By that logic undercover cops are acting unethically.

You are a genius.

Punchy McFist on
    edited July 2009
    robothero wrote: »

Good to know.

This is a thread about going on a russian cruise to hunt pirates you fucking dunce

Hunting where the "prey" isn't identified until they shoot/kidnap you first. Interesting.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man I am getting all kinds of nerdy excited about the possibilities of gaming on my Eee

Jagged Alliance 2 on the go hell yeah

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    So.... A undercover cop working in his jurisdiction to arrest drug manufacturers == a bunch of guys going on a boat in Somalia trying to bait pirates so they can kill them?

You know what they call that last one right there

Entrapment

Except this time there's more bullets

Taranis please explain how this is in any way a legit maritime security firm and not KILL POOR PEOPLE WITH GUNS

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh man I am getting all kinds of nerdy excited about the possibilities of gaming on my Eee

Jagged Alliance 2 on the go hell yeah

I just remembered I have the first two Fallout games from GOG, I should put them on my new Acer

Guess who just found an "assignment" to do so I can minimize my time spent at the house

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009

we're talking about international waters here. And defending your own freighters.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009

we're talking about international waters here. And defending your own freighters.

I want you to slow down a minute and think about this

HEY GUYS COME ROB ME

OH SHIT THEY ARE ROBBING ME KILL THEM NOW

What part of that seems reasonable to you

Me Too! on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So far I've got Jagged Alliance 2, and am gonna put Age Of Wonders Shadow Magic on my Eee as well

Of course I have Fallout 1/2 as well

I am thinking Alpha Centauri as well, although I'm not sure if I can lower the resolution to 800x600 on that

Also HOMM3, Planescape: Torment, and BG1/2/Icewind Dale

hells yeah

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    What's HOMM3

All I'm putting on the Acer is Fallout 1/2 and Beneath A Steel Sky just because that's all that's on my GOG list and I don't have any old computer games

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009

Entrapment

Taranis please explain how this is in any way a legit maritime security firm and not KILL POOR PEOPLE WITH GUNS

It's not entrapment. No more so than an under cover female working in vice. The cruise would be vigilantism and I really don't care. I said I would be down for this but I want an actual job doing this. I never said I would set out to kill them merely that I wanted to 'fight pirates'. Read the thread next time.

In fact it wouldn't even be as close to entrapment as the cops. Cruising around where known pirates are isn't the same as inviting the aboard. If they hijack your vessel and try to take you captive that is in no way entrapment.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Heroes of Might And Magic 3, which is probably the best ieteration of the series ever

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009

Entrapment

It's not entrapment. No more so than an under cover female working in vice. The cruise would be vigilantism and I really don't care. I said I would be down for this but I want an actual job doing this. I never said I would set out to kill them merely that I wanted to 'fight pirates'. Read the thread next time.

In fact it wouldn't even be as close to entrapment as the cops. Cruising around where known pirates are isn't the same as inviting the aboard. If they hijack your vessel and try to take you captive that is in no way entrapment.

Yeah driving around as bait isn't even close to asking them to hijack you

Stupid ass

Me Too! on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Entrapment

Yep, just like when cops left an unlocked car sitting around to bait thieves. The cops didn't tell them to steal it, they just left it in a state where it could be stolen. It's the fault of the thieves for trying to steal it, and nobody else.

Fuck those pirates, man. Oh, they're poor. Boo fucking hoo, it sucks and all, but it doesn't excuse piracy.

Defender on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Stupid ass

Did you see what she was wearing? She was totally asking to get raped. That's entrapment, it wasn't his fault.

Try to think for like two seconds.

Defender on
    edited July 2009
    Defender wrote: »

Stupid ass

Did you see what she was wearing? She was totally asking to get raped. That's entrapment, it wasn't his fault.

Defender if you can't see the difference between actively trying to get them to hijack you so you can shoot them and somebody saying "it's her fault she was raped"

You are a broken broken man

Me Too! on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Stupid ass

Defender if you can't see the difference between actively trying to get them to hijack you so you can shoot them and somebody saying "it's her fault she was raped"

You are a broken broken man

What if she was trying to get raped? Would you call her a horrible person?

In the context that she wanted to shoot some rapists.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited July 2009

Entrapment

Yep, just like when cops left an unlocked car sitting around to bait thieves. The cops didn't tell them to steal it, they just left it in a state where it could be stolen.
    It's the fault of the thieves for trying to steal it, and nobody else.

Fuck those pirates, man. Oh, they're poor. Boo fucking hoo, it sucks and all, but it doesn't excuse piracy.

I'd say a better analogy would be undercover cops driving in an area known for carjackings. That is a method cops use though.

Fuck even undercover cops buying from a drug dealer is the same as working for a maritime security group. It's not the same as a cruise, but I did say that while I would be down for this I'd rather have it as a career protecting freighters owned by my contractor. If you guys actually read that part you wouldn't have someone to flame though.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Also I missed this but I don't think anybody is saying it's not the thieves fault

At least I'm not

I'm saying when you actively try to get them to ENDANGER YOUR LIFE by cruising around near places of pirate activity

You don't get to be pissy and shoot them because you basically hung a sign out that said I LIKE BEING SHOT AT

HEY MAN HE CAME RIGHT AT ME (like I asked him to)

Me Too! on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Entrapment

Yep, just like when cops left an unlocked car sitting around to bait thieves. The cops didn't tell them to steal it, they just left it in a state where it could be stolen.
    It's the fault of the thieves for trying to steal it, and nobody else.

I'd say a better analogy would be undercover cops driving in an area known for carjackings. That is a method cops use though.

Fuck even undercover cops buying from a drug dealer is the same as working for a maritime security group. It's not the same as a cruise, but I did say that while I would be down for this I'd rather have it as a career protecting freighters owned by my contractor. If you guys actually read that part you wouldn't have someone to flame though.

But this is, theoretically, a situation where tourists are promised a pirate attack and an opportunity to kill said pirates

it isn't to "uphold justice" or any of that shit, it's leaving a boat out in the open, making it look like a good target for pirates to attack, and then going apeshit and killing them all for fun

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited July 2009
    this isn't even really about how the pirates should be treated
    this is really about a dude on the internet trying to seem like a badass by saying he wants to go fucking kill pirates

either you're a grandstanding little shit who's just trying to look cool (and failing miserably), or if you really want to go kill pirates
    and I mean, you really want to actually personally kill them and not just saying that you want to help make the area safer
    then that makes you pretty psychopathic

there's a world of difference between people that enlist because they realize that a job needs to be done, and they want to serve their country, even if it means they have to kill sometimes but they don't want to kill
    and some douchebag that thinks it would be so cool to kill some priates man!

that you can't apparently see this distinction speaks volumes about your maturity

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Also I missed this but I don't think anybody is saying it's not the thieves fault

At least I'm not

I'm saying when you actively try to get them to ENDANGER YOUR LIFE by cruising around near places of pirate activity

You don't get to be pissy and shoot them because you basically hung a sign out that said I LIKE BEING SHOT AT

[strike]HEY MAN HE CAME RIGHT AT ME (like I asked him to)[/strike]

Things I think we agree on:
    Piracy is bad.
    You have the right to protect your freighters and the lives of your employees.

I think it all boils down to whether or not you think vigilantism is wrong. Illegal in most countries? As far as I know. Things are different with international waters. If someone killed/kidnapped a member of my family and I thought the cops weren't doing an adequate job to find the culprit I would take matters into my own hands. Granted I wouldn't be related to the crewmen of any freighters, but my reasons are my own. You have your own views on whether or not this is moral, but you're not going to change mine. I know vigilantism is considered unethical in most cases. I just don't care.

If cruising in pirate infested waters equates to asking someone to hijack your ship and hold you captive, then by your logic the crewmen who do man the freighters passing through the Indian ocean are doing this every day, or are you saying that you're asking for it no matter what, but it isn't moral to defend yourself if you're looking for pirates. No matter what the reasons for the actions of the vigilante, the result is the same. More captured (or killed) pirates and safer waters for innocent crewman doing their jobs. I don't think arming tourists/potential vigilantes on this (probably fake) cruise necessarily means they try shoot first and ask questions later. You could look at it that way, but wouldn't an armed tourist feel safer than an unarmed tourist? If the intent is to capture pirates it's certainly going to be easier with more armed people. These pirates typically operate in small groups on small craft. I doubt the pirates would shoot if they found out that everyone was armed.

I'm fed up with the lack of maritime security and I think something should be done about it. I'm willing to take matters into my own hands (which doesn't necessarily mean killing) and go on a cruise like this one, but I'd rather work for a contractor.
    there's a world of difference between people that enlist because they realize that a job needs to be done, and they want to serve their country, even if it means they have to kill sometimes but they don't

Jobs aren't easy to come by these days and I've got experience in only one field. Make all the assumptions you want about my background, I'll never be able to conclusively prove or disprove anything you say via the internet. I'm not even going to try, because for that I would have to give a shit.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • slowslow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh sure, we'd all like to believe that the somali sea reavers will stay inside their sprawling palaces of gold and ivory

but the fact of the matter is, volunteer yacht patrols like this are and will continue to be a neccesity for our the sake of our children's lives

slow on
  • slowslow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    woe to the man who crews not his yacht with investment bankers and real estate moguls

woe too, should he not arm them with the finest automatic rifles, for the ocean-men in their iron-girdled pirate ships will not show the same quarter

slow on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yarr~

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited July 2009
    there's a world of difference between people that enlist because they realize that a job needs to be done, and they want to serve their country, even if it means they have to kill sometimes but they don't

Jobs aren't easy to come by these days and I've got experience in only one field. Make all the assumptions you want about my background, I'll never be able to conclusively prove or disprove anything you say via the internet. I'm not even going to try, because for that I would have to give a shit.
    which has zero to do with you excitedly exclaiming that you want to go kill some pirates or that you wish you could have fought in wwII

maybe it was your idea of a joke, but I'm not the only one here who doesn't get that impression from you
    you have a pretty consistent theme that seems to be a worship of war and a glorification of killing

I have plenty of friends in the armed forces, and I have a deep respect for what they do
    none of them have your attitude of, "fuck yeah I want to go kill some motherfuckers, that would be so rad!"

I'm sure some of them have killed, they just don't brag about it because they're reasonably well adjusted human beings

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    robothero wrote: »

Good to know.

Hunting where the "prey" isn't identified until they shoot/kidnap you first. Interesting.

Go read the fucking article bro. It's pretty obvious you havent done that already.

Unknown User on