As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7/29/09: Do as He Has Done

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
Two good stories this week.

Superman #690 was a good issue built on setting up the supporting characters for the next year, with a great Steel/Atlas fight.
The fight is actually longer than below:

s690ab.jpg

s690c.jpg

s690d.jpg

s690e.jpg

And Robinson does a lot of good supporting character pages this issue, especially with Dr. Light and Guardian

But also on tap, to wash away the terrible taste that Ultiamtum left us all with, Ultimate Spider-Man Requiem #2's ending:

usmr2a.jpg

usmr2b.jpg

He's alive!!!

TexiKen on

• Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Someone doesn't know what the word "requiem" means...

So how'd Ultimatum end?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

So how'd Ultimatum end?

Spoilers copied from Newsarama, good God don't spend money on that book:
    And so, it ends...

(SPOILERS and all that stuff)

Magneto's Citadel.
    Above the Arctic Circle.
    Now.

Wolverine says all the other times he's fought Magneto, he guesses he held back because he wasn't willing to die. Today, he is. Magneto's murdered millions of people. Humans. Mutants. Heroes. Villains. It made no difference to him. Jean is in Logan's head and tells Cyclops he's really going to kill him. Wolverine says that Magneto thinks he's god, but if he is god, then god is dead. Magneto hurls Wolverine away. He says that he won't be judged by someone less than man, nothing more than animal. He asks if they honestly think they can stop him when they can't even stop themselves. He opens Cyclops' visor and causes Iron Man to fire his repulsor, pretty much blowing up Wolverine. Hawkeye and Storm take down Cyclops and Iron Man. Magneto says despite his instinct to survive, it's too late. They killed Wolverine.

Wolverine stabs Magneto in the chest and says, "Not yet." Magneto finishes blowing up Wolverine, apparently tearing the Adamantium off of his bones. Storm, Hawkeye, Jean, Cyclops, and Iron Man mourn Wolverine, letting Magneto escape. Again.

Magneto's Citadel.
    Down below.

Hulk and Colossus are trashing the engines. Mystique shows up with a big flame thrower and fires on the two heroes. Hulk says he'll eat her. Colossus attacks. Sabretooth grabs Mystique and they escape on a hang glider. They left a bomb though. Boom.

Magneto, back at his thrown, pulls Wolverine's hand from his chest, saying he'll kill every last bit of him, down to the blood cells. Nick Fury tells Erik he screwed up. It's like he told Doom: every one of them has a weakness, something he keeps as his ace in the hole, in case they get out of hand. And Erik got way out of hand. Magneto says he won't answer to him. Fury says not to him, but to Jean Grey. Jean connects Fury and Erik's mind and shows Magneto that mutants are man made, rather than a miracle of birth or a gift from God. Fury tells Magneto that he's just a man, no different from the millions he's killed.

Magneto magically has a change of heart. He uses his power to reverse the damage he's done to Earth's magnetic poles. He says that Charles will forgive him. Cyclops says Charles is dead, killed by Magneto. There's no one left to forgive him. Cyclops blasts Magneto's head off.

Fury assembles Mr Fantastic, Hawkeye, Hulk, Colossus, Jean, Cyclops, Iron man, and Captain America and says its time to go. (No clue where Power Princess or Doom are, since they were standing with everyone just a moment ago.) They leave on their jet as the Citadel explodes and sinks into the water. Wolverine's hand goes down with it.

Eight Days Later
    United States Senate Building.
    Washington, DC.

Cyclops is addressing a rather large crowd of mutant haters. He says that the world faced terrible tragedy, caused by a mutant. His name was Magneto, and now he is dead. But the damage he did cannot be forgotten. Rogue and Jean are in the crowd, Storm and Colossus are with Scott at the podium. He says that maybe one day what can be forgotten is the lie that all mutants are evil. Kitty, Iceman, and Johnny Storm are in the crowd. Cyclops says they are here today because history is about to be changed. Freedom is about to be changed. A vote is being taken in the senate which will make it so mutants must surrender to the US government or be hunted down and shot on sight.

Boom. Scott's head explodes from a bullet. The crowd is out of control. Carol Danvers arrests Storm and Colossus. Iceman runs to help, leaving Kitty behind. She says he can't leave her like everyone else. A streak zips through the crowd.

Castle Van Damme.
    Latveria. Eastern Europe.
    That Night.

Doom says he has so little to show for all of it. Only Namor, the last prisoner. The door opens. A figure enters. He says Reed told him how Doom pushed Magneto's buttons so he'd go to war, all so Doom could have the leftovers. Doom blasts the intruder, revealing Thing underneath the cloak. He says Reed didn't have the stomach for this, but Doom has to pay for what he did. He grabs Doom's head and crushes it, much to Namor's shock.

The Fabled Land of Wundagore.
    Bavarian Alps.
    Tomorrow.

It's done. Cyclops has been assassinated. A bullet was pushed through his brain. The same bullet used to kill the Scarlet Witch. Pietro says it was quick, with no problems. A shadowed woman says good. When the time is right, they'll start over. Pietro says exactly like she planned. Magneto had grown too soft. Complacent. Only when he believed that Pietro had died, that his kids were gone, would he act. His vengeance cleared the path for a better world. His father is gone, but his dream lives on... (Sabretooth and Mystique look on in the background.)

In Memoriam
    Honoring those who died in Ultimatum
    Angel, Beast, Blob, Cannonball, Captain Britain and the European Initiative, Cipher, Cyclops, Daredevil, Dazzler, Detonator, Forge, Dr. Emma Frost, Hardrive, Juggernaut, Longshot, Lorelei, Madrox, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Polaris, Psylocke, Hank Pym (Yellowjacket), Janet Pym (Wasp), Dr. Franklin Storm, Dr. Stephen Strange, Sunspot, Syndicate, Thor, Toad, Victor Van Damme (Doom), Wolverine, Prof. Charles Xavier

Missing in action
    Firestar, Havok, Spider-Man

The millions of people who lost their lives in New York City, Latveria, London, Wakanda, the Savage Land, and throughout the world.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So how'd Ultimatum end?

Spoilers copied from Newsarama, good God don't spend money on that book:
    And so, it ends...

(SPOILERS and all that stuff)

Magneto's Citadel.
    Above the Arctic Circle.
    Now.

Wolverine says all the other times he's fought Magneto, he guesses he held back because he wasn't willing to die. Today, he is. Magneto's murdered millions of people. Humans. Mutants. Heroes. Villains. It made no difference to him. Jean is in Logan's head and tells Cyclops he's really going to kill him. Wolverine says that Magneto thinks he's god, but if he is god, then god is dead. Magneto hurls Wolverine away. He says that he won't be judged by someone less than man, nothing more than animal. He asks if they honestly think they can stop him when they can't even stop themselves. He opens Cyclops' visor and causes Iron Man to fire his repulsor, pretty much blowing up Wolverine. Hawkeye and Storm take down Cyclops and Iron Man. Magneto says despite his instinct to survive, it's too late. They killed Wolverine.

Wolverine stabs Magneto in the chest and says, "Not yet." Magneto finishes blowing up Wolverine, apparently tearing the Adamantium off of his bones. Storm, Hawkeye, Jean, Cyclops, and Iron Man mourn Wolverine, letting Magneto escape. Again.

Magneto's Citadel.
    Down below.

Hulk and Colossus are trashing the engines. Mystique shows up with a big flame thrower and fires on the two heroes. Hulk says he'll eat her. Colossus attacks. Sabretooth grabs Mystique and they escape on a hang glider. They left a bomb though. Boom.

Magneto, back at his thrown, pulls Wolverine's hand from his chest, saying he'll kill every last bit of him, down to the blood cells. Nick Fury tells Erik he screwed up. It's like he told Doom: every one of them has a weakness, something he keeps as his ace in the hole, in case they get out of hand. And Erik got way out of hand. Magneto says he won't answer to him. Fury says not to him, but to Jean Grey. Jean connects Fury and Erik's mind and shows Magneto that mutants are man made, rather than a miracle of birth or a gift from God. Fury tells Magneto that he's just a man, no different from the millions he's killed.

Magneto magically has a change of heart. He uses his power to reverse the damage he's done to Earth's magnetic poles. He says that Charles will forgive him. Cyclops says Charles is dead, killed by Magneto. There's no one left to forgive him. Cyclops blasts Magneto's head off.

Fury assembles Mr Fantastic, Hawkeye, Hulk, Colossus, Jean, Cyclops, Iron man, and Captain America and says its time to go. (No clue where Power Princess or Doom are, since they were standing with everyone just a moment ago.) They leave on their jet as the Citadel explodes and sinks into the water. Wolverine's hand goes down with it.

Eight Days Later
    United States Senate Building.
    Washington, DC.

Cyclops is addressing a rather large crowd of mutant haters. He says that the world faced terrible tragedy, caused by a mutant. His name was Magneto, and now he is dead. But the damage he did cannot be forgotten. Rogue and Jean are in the crowd, Storm and Colossus are with Scott at the podium. He says that maybe one day what can be forgotten is the lie that all mutants are evil. Kitty, Iceman, and Johnny Storm are in the crowd. Cyclops says they are here today because history is about to be changed. Freedom is about to be changed. A vote is being taken in the senate which will make it so mutants must surrender to the US government or be hunted down and shot on sight.

Boom. Scott's head explodes from a bullet. The crowd is out of control. Carol Danvers arrests Storm and Colossus. Iceman runs to help, leaving Kitty behind. She says he can't leave her like everyone else. A streak zips through the crowd.

Castle Van Damme.
    Latveria. Eastern Europe.
    That Night.

Doom says he has so little to show for all of it. Only Namor, the last prisoner. The door opens. A figure enters. He says Reed told him how Doom pushed Magneto's buttons so he'd go to war, all so Doom could have the leftovers. Doom blasts the intruder, revealing Thing underneath the cloak. He says Reed didn't have the stomach for this, but Doom has to pay for what he did. He grabs Doom's head and crushes it, much to Namor's shock.

The Fabled Land of Wundagore.
    Bavarian Alps.
    Tomorrow.

It's done. Cyclops has been assassinated. A bullet was pushed through his brain. The same bullet used to kill the Scarlet Witch. Pietro says it was quick, with no problems. A shadowed woman says good. When the time is right, they'll start over. Pietro says exactly like she planned. Magneto had grown too soft. Complacent. Only when he believed that Pietro had died, that his kids were gone, would he act. His vengeance cleared the path for a better world. His father is gone, but his dream lives on... (Sabretooth and Mystique look on in the background.)

In Memoriam
    Honoring those who died in Ultimatum
    Angel, Beast, Blob, Cannonball, Captain Britain and the European Initiative, Cipher, Cyclops, Daredevil, Dazzler, Detonator, Forge, Dr. Emma Frost, Hardrive, Juggernaut, Longshot, Lorelei, Madrox, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Polaris, Psylocke, Hank Pym (Yellowjacket), Janet Pym (Wasp), Dr. Franklin Storm, Dr. Stephen Strange, Sunspot, Syndicate, Thor, Toad, Victor Van Damme (Doom), Wolverine, Prof. Charles Xavier

Missing in action
    Firestar, Havok, Spider-Man

The millions of people who lost their lives in New York City, Latveria, London, Wakanda, the Savage Land, and throughout the world.

Man, that death list sorta screws up an Ultimate idea I had. I guess I'll have to re-jigger some things to fit with the status quo.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My moment of the week was the preview for Vengeance of the Moon Knight in the back of New Avengers. That book is going to be so good.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is just a quick question for people when they get their comics this week:

Is Wednesday Comics still selling well at your store? MY LCS was concerned with how the book is falling way short of what they thought for sales.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is Wednesday Comics still selling well at your store? MY LCS was concerned with how the book is falling way short of what they thought for sales.

My LCS still had a full rack of Wednesday comics, and the only one that seems to have sold well was #1.

Hensler on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    I just don't get what Marvel were aiming for with Ultimatum. It's pretty much killed any lingering interest in Millar's new Ultimate book that I might have had.

Bogart on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As much as I've been supporting it, I'm having some severe money difficulties, and may have to drop Wednesday Comics as well as we come closer to the halfway point.

Anywho, I'll be back later with my moments, since I'm sure I'll have quite a few this week.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my moment of the week was, after finishing book 6 of The Walking Dead, going to the store and picking up books 7, 8, and 9

oh yes, zombie goodness

Rans on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, looking on the bright side, it seems that Spider-Man's extended cast didn't take too many losses from that whole disaster.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, looking on the bright side, it seems that Spider-Man's extended cast didn't take too many losses from that whole disaster.

Yes, but
    No Firestar :( Which ruins the Ultimate Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends book I was really hoping to read some day.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Did anyone grab Detective Comics?

Can anyone tell me what the fuck was going on in that book?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Two good stories this week.

But also on tap, to wash away the terrible taste that Ultiamtum left us all with, Ultimate Spider-Man Requiem #2's ending:

usmr2a.jpg

usmr2b.jpg

He's alive!!!
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY! *does happy dance*

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    WW #34 was a good issue. I picked up the series mainly because Gail makes Rick Olney look like a complete tool everytime he shows up. Also, Lopresti is such an underrated talent, ever since he was filling in on Uncanny or working on New Excalibur.

WW and Black Canary team-up, but this moment is pretty good, a bit meta though:
    They are going to infiltrate an Asian fight club place, and Dinah explains how women superheroes and their clothes:

ww34a.jpg

ww34b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yes, but
    No Firestar :( Which ruins the Ultimate Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends book I was really hoping to read some day.
    She's only listed as missing, like spidey himself, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I keep being surprised on my moment of the weeks.

I decided to pick up Thunderbolts on a whim, because I like Songbird and the cover promised her to be in the issue. She had a pretty cool entrance at one point, but I didn't scan that. Anyways, I thought the end reveal was even cooler. (Pretty big spoilers, last page reveal, yadda yadda.)
    Yelona Belova has been spying for Nick Fury while on the Thunderbolts team, and had planned on rescuing Songbird when the team was sent after her. Norman ends up sidelining her on the way there and says she's going to be analyzing comms from the ship, so uh oh.

Well, that doesn't matter, because Songbird uses her powers to throw missles they shoot at her from their ship back at them with some tentacles she manifests (Ew!), and Black Widow takes that chance to eject from the crashing ship. She hooks up with Songbird and is all "Shut up, do what I say, and come with me." Songbird is hesitant, naturally. So this happens.

img025.jpg

img026.jpg

Black Widow was impersonating Black Widow II! Oh, Natasha, you are my favorite Russian superspy.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    .....and then they totally make out. In my mind at least.

So I take it
    Yelena is dead still?

Also, that means Deadpool is in love with Natasha!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That was the end of the issue, so I'm not sure in regards to your spoiler!

And also, in regards to Deadpool, <3who wouldn't.<3

Faynor on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    New Avengers was great, in terms of story and art. The end of Secret Warriors was a huge "Holy Shit" moment as well.

As for Ultimatum, well...
    I actually didn't hate the ending. I still think it took guts to kill Wolverine, even though he'll probably be back. I loved the Nick Fury bits, and I can't wait to see him in UC: Avengers. And finally, I'm intrigued as to who the shadowy figure was talking to Quicksilver at the very end.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I liked Immonen's art in New Avengers. It's the only reason I bought the issue. I like how his 616 Spidey looks nothing like his Ultimate version. That's a good adaption.
    Spidey being a whiny baby with Clint wanting to kill Norman though, and being upset that everyone is calling him Peter, that was annoying.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, Spider-Man was pretty annoying.
    oh my god stop using my name we are in our private base jessica that is not cool oh my god carol don't use my name oh my god clint is crazy he wants to kill norman osborn he has the balls to do what i never did oh my god telling you guys my name was one big mistake am i just making one continuous mistake

was pretty much him throughout the whole issue. Anyways, I'm not sure what was up with Chemical Man or whoever he was, but is it just Luke's skin that's indestructable? Because I thought his "Oh! My gallbladder [tiny]okay he said heart[/tiny]!" thing was kind of weak.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You know, I've spent the last two weeks debating whether to jump on or not, but when the time came I completely forgot about it because I was in a rush at the shop.

Did anyone pick up this week's JSA? How was it?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    I enjoyed it. The dialogue is Willingham dialogue (so kind of bad), but the story was good, and it put out a couple of hooks that are pretty interesting.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If I wasn't broke, I'd totally go back later in the week and get it, but I probably can't afford to follow two new ongoings. :(

The preview on DC's site seemed neat, and King Chimera looks pretty cool. By the time the book splits, I may be able to hop in.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It was good. A simple setup issue. It introduces some more legacy characters who seem to be the same age as Stargirl. A twist here or there, a cliffhanger, the usual from a new creative team.

Merino's art, I kept wondering if it was his art really, or if he was just using some poses he took from past work he's inked for Pacheco. Some pages his art looks identical to Pacheco's, some times it looks like he drew the work himself with no references. Green Lantern looked like he was swiped from the JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice story.

I'm not saying his art is bad, it was very good. And if he can retain a style similar to Pacheco but be more punctual, I'm all for it.

It was kind of obvious they were using Bigby as a template for Wildcat though.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    HEY ASSHOLES

I SAW YOU BITCHING ABOUT ULTIMATUM IN HERE WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT BITCHING IN HERE

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Anyways, I'm not sure what was up with Chemical Man or whoever he was, but is it just Luke's skin that's indestructable? Because I thought his "Oh! My gallbladder [tiny]okay he said heart[/tiny]!" thing was kind of weak.
    Yeah, Luke's skin is impenetrable, but his internal organs are not. There was a story where Luke got injured by something and the doctors couldn't operate because they couldn't cut his skin open. He does heal three times as fast though, IIRC.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HEY ASSHOLES

I SAW YOU BITCHING ABOUT ULTIMATUM IN HERE WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT BITCHING IN HERE

I was concerned people might accidentally spend money on Ultimatum.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HEY ASSHOLES

Did we say that we liked it?
    I reread the first couple volumes of USM. Still as good as fifth grade me remembered.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    HEY ASSHOLES

I was concerned people might accidentally spend money on Ultimatum.

No, I think it's abundantly clear that nobody thinks buying Ultimatum is a good idea, and it should be abundantly clear that I said that these threads aren't for bitching or consumer warnings.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Did anyone grab Detective Comics?

Can anyone tell me what the fuck was going on in that book?

I grabbed Detective. And no, no I can't.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It seemed pretty cool. And I got the the actual plot progression. and I do love JHW III's art; it's spectacular.

But, I couldn't actually follow the progression of the book.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    I summarized it for you in the Bat-thread. I don't know what you were missing so if you still have questions, ask me there

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Honestly Geebs, I seem to be the only person here who doesn't hate Ultimatum with every fiber of my being and therefore can't help but bash it when mentioning it.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Yeah, Spider-Man was pretty annoying.
    oh my god stop using my name we are in our private base jessica that is not cool oh my god carol don't use my name oh my god clint is crazy he wants to kill norman osborn he has the balls to do what i never did oh my god telling you guys my name was one big mistake am i just making one continuous mistake

was pretty much him throughout the whole issue. Anyways, I'm not sure what was up with Chemical Man or whoever he was, but is it just Luke's skin that's indestructable? Because I thought his "Oh! My gallbladder [tiny]okay he said heart[/tiny]!" thing was kind of weak.

Well, wasn't that device taking away everyone's powers, so it wouldn't matter what was normally invulnerable? Or did I totally not understand that last scene? I was actually wondering why it was fucking up the un-powered Avengers.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Me too. It shouldn't have messed with Clint or Cap.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Since Clint was vomiting, it probably was effecting his equilibrium, which I guess is his super power. That does make some sense though.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That's actually kind of funny. OH NO MY SUPERNATURAL SENSE OF BALANCE

Faynor on