As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommended Anti-Virus software

ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
So my Norton Antivirus is about to expire and I want to look for something a bit less expensive.

Can anybody recommend some good anti-virus/internet security software that is not Norton or McAfee and will not go nuts if I play a game online?

I run Vista Home on an Intel i7 machine, have cable internet but connect my machine through a router. I am open to download the software or buy a box/CD.

Scribemite on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Avast is good, and it's free. I used it until about 3 months ago.

You could also try to get in on the Microsoft Security essentials beta, a Free, Microsoft made Antivirus. I use it on all my windows machines and it's actually pretty good.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Avast. I downloaded the free home edition and will try it until something better comes my way. I'll have to look into the Microsoft one too. I have not heard of that one before. Thanks much.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One that I've grown to like is the Comodo Internet Security suit. It's completely free and low maintenance. It's one of the few free AVs that auto updates on it's own, not to mention it has no problems with UAC.

PC Tools is also a decent free AV.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antivir for anti-virus and COMODO for firewall.

Reiten on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    NOD32 for Antivirus.

or Avast for free a/v.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AVG Antivirus was the bomb diggity for a while. It was free and life was good.

The latest version is pretty obtrusive though. It seems like any time I do anything it tells me "OMG YOU NEED THE RETAIL VERSION OR YOUR COMPUTER WILL BLOW UP!!!11!!"

I would therefore not recommend it. I will soon be moving to Avast.

Michael H on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MalwareBytes, very lightweight and powerful.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    NOD32 for Antivirus.

This. Try the free trial, and I'm almost 100% positive you'd buy it. The ONLY problem I had was a false positive from Win32/Genetik on a torrent i DLed, but that's because of bad definitions for that particular trojan.

Also, I'm running Windows 7 RC, and there have been no issues with compatibility.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    NOD32 for Antivirus.

This. Try the free trial, and I'm almost 100% positive you'd buy it. The ONLY problem I had was a false positive from Win32/Genetik on a torrent i DLed, but that's because of bad definitions for that particular trojan.

Also, I'm running Windows 7 RC, and there have been no issues with compatibility.

I actually tried NOD32, and had problems with Win7. IT just kept eating RAM. I'd leave it for 3 hours and it would be using 4GB of RAM.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar