As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lets go kill some Pirates

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wut? Killing? Rage.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I uh

I don't think everyone who pirates music deserves to die

Me Too! on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Wut? Killing? Rage.
    keep those malls safe for us you brave soldier

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maybe just cut off a hand?

Defender on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Defender wrote: »

How about a pinky toe

Taranis, the difference here is that Defender is kidding, at least somewhat

Whereas you are whole-heartedly endorsing murder

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009
    Anyone wondered why infantrymen in youtube videos yell things like "Fuck yeah!", "Get some!", "Wooohoo!", "Hell yeah!" and the like?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Defender wrote: »

"HE STOLE"

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    Anyone wondered why infantrymen in youtube videos yell things like "Fuck yeah!", "Get some!", "Wooohoo!", "Hell yeah!" and the like?
    there's a huge difference between relieving stress like that while under fire and talking among other servicemen who shared the experience with you versus telling strangers you want to hunt and kill pirates

again, you consistently demonstrate that you are unable to grasp moral nuances that many teenagers have figured out

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    you guys still going with this?

Taranis just go join the army already

hopefully someone will work out that you're the superior killing machine they need and make you a badass commando

can't wait for the movie based on your life:

TARANIS: SAWS AND WRECKS

YaYa on
    edited July 2009
    So watching a JDAM demolish a house that had numerous hajj in it is "relieving stress"? Seriously? How many people feel remorse because they lit up someone that was trying to kill them and their comrades? Feeling elated when snuff out the life of someone that's trying to kill you and your comrades is common. To say that infantrymen who reup time and again don't like doing their job is a fucking joke. I'm not trying to say that they enjoy killing though, I'm trying to say that the experience of combat isn't altogether terrible like most civilians believe. You can't have an all volunteer force if infantrymen don't reup. What of SF units? Some SF guys stay in theater for years on end (they get RnR, not sure how much but that's not the same as time back in the states). I have several friends that tried to stay in country when the unit was redeploying to the states. PSG turned them down. In combat you hunt and kill the enemy. Pirates are no better than terrorists.

Honestly if there's a better job out there for me where I get paid to get shot at and shoot back, I'll take it.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    this is painful to watch

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seriously? How many people feel remorse because they lit up someone that was trying to kill them and their comrades?

having read many memoirs from soldiers on various fronts of various wars fighting many people, i can say that most of them, at least those eloquent enough and strong enough to write about their experience coherently and honestly

yeah, most of them

Ol' Sparky on
    edited July 2009
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    Seriously? How many people feel remorse because they lit up someone that was trying to kill them and their comrades?

having read many memoirs from soldiers on various fronts of various wars fighting many people, i can say that most of them, at least those eloquent enough and strong enough to write about their experience coherently and honestly

yeah, most of them
    taranis doesn't consider them real soldiers or real men

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • weather man bobweather man bob El Heffer Assholeville USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am all for hunting pirates and forcefully taking their booty.

weather man bob on
    edited July 2009
    people like taranis are mostly the reason why i am still iffy on joining the military

i really don't want to be surrounded by people like that. the military isn't a fucking football team.

Ol' Sparky on
    edited July 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

yeah, most of them
    taranis doesn't consider them real soldiers or real men

Druhim can't acknowledge the fact that not everyone is the same and the truth might not necessary be palatable to the rest of society so some people put on a front. That most people of decades past felt how they did, is not surprising times change. The Romans had their Coliseum and their gladiators. We have our video games and violent movies. The way most infantrymen feel about combat shouldn't be all that surprising.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    people like taranis are mostly the reason why i am still iffy on joining the military

i really don't want to be surrounded by people like that. the military isn't a fucking football team.

Best analogy for the Infantry is a football team + a fraternity. Day to day life in garrison is much like the Office.

POG's don't think like I do as far as I know. So if that's the sort of MOS you want go for it.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    man, guys, Taranis is serious about killing

he's already trying to take my brain out

YaYa on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a friend who is a Marine and I have talked to him about pretty much this exact topic.

None of them, at least he and the people he knows in the Marines, want to kill anyone. They would be much happier if they never had to kill a man, and even happier if they never had to be shot at. They joined the military and do what they do because they believe it is their duty to help protect their country and to make sure the rest of us do not have to do what they do.

They're not there because they want to kill people. They do not enjoy killing people. Sure, maybe some guys in the military enjoy killing. You know what they're called? Sociopaths.

Nostregar on
    edited July 2009
    Nostregar wrote: »
    I have a friend who is a Marine and I have talked to him about pretty much this exact topic.

None of them, at least he and the people he knows in the Marines, want to kill anyone. They would be much happier if they never had to kill a man, and even happier if they never had to be shot at. They joined the military and do what they do because they believe it is their duty to help protect their country and to make sure the rest of us do not have to do what they do.

They're not there because they want to kill people. They do not enjoy killing people. Sure, maybe some guys in the military enjoy killing. You know what they're called? Sociopaths.

But is he in the Infantry? The Infantry is completely different than the rest of the Army. That's the army though, I'm assuming it's the same everywhere. Generation Kill was pretty spot on and I wasn't in the Marines.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    what fucking difference does it make, you tool

people in any other division are allowed to have souls and be normal people but when you're in the infantry it's all about cheering when you take out insurgents and then hitting the showers?

YaYa on
    edited July 2009
    YaYa wrote: »

people in any other division are allowed to have souls and be normal people but when you're in the infantry it's all about cheering when you take out insurgents and then hitting the showers?

Clearly you know more about this subject than me.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hey
    hey Taranis

fuck you

go to jail

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited July 2009
    YaYa wrote: »

Clearly you know more about this subject than me.

clearly!

YaYa on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes people really enjoy killing, just like some people enjoy fucking children. Who are we to judge?

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    I know nothing about the Infantry.

Wait a minute.

usa-cib2.jpg

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    What's that a small pixelated picture of? Looks like either a repeater or a german machine gun on some kind of board and a wreath.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    if you enjoy soldiering and being a soldier, that's fine

i think its a totally different thing to not fundamentally understand that even if it was the lesser of two evils, even if it was for a good cause, killing is fundamentally evil and so is war

Ol' Sparky on
    edited July 2009
    guys, get back

he's got a small jpg

YaYa on
  • slowslow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hey look i can do that too

purpleheart.jpg

slow on
    edited July 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    What's that a small pixelated picture of? Looks like either a repeater or a german machine gun on some kind of board and a wreath.

Everyone in this thread should know. Since they know more than me about the military and the mentality of those in it.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    if you enjoy soldiering and being a soldier, that's fine

i think its a totally different thing to not fundamentally understand that even if it was the lesser of two evils, even if it was for a good cause, killing is fundamentally evil and so is war

I can agree with that.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    That's why i was asking them, dur.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    While you may want to believe that there was something special about the part of the military you were in, so does everyone else in the military. What it comes down to, though, is that you're all defending a country. You do it in different ways and with different equipment. Some of you are in more immediate personal danger than others. It doesn't matter. Being willing to kill and enjoying killing are two entirely different things.

I'm not saying you don't know anything about "the infantry", I'm saying that no matter who you are or what your job is, enjoying murder makes you a sociopath.

See what I did there? I said murder, not "killing". Calling it killing makes it seem like some clean act. Murder is what it is. You're killing a man. We allow it because it's war (for some reason) but it's still murder.

Nostregar on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know nothing about hip-hop.

Wait a minute.

PIMP%20NECKLACE%20Yeah%20Boyeee%20001%20CCS.jpg

Moriveth on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited July 2009
    Where can i get one of those? People don't laugh at me enough in public, I need that.

Edit: Nostregar, I think you are confusing Murder and homicide.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    Nostregar wrote: »
    While you may want to believe that there was something special about the part of the military you were in, so does everyone else in the military. What it comes down to, though, is that you're all defending a country. You do it in different ways and with different equipment. Some of you are in more immediate personal danger than others. It doesn't matter. Being willing to kill and enjoying killing are two entirely different things.

I'm not saying you don't know anything about "the infantry", I'm saying that no matter who you are or what your job is, enjoying murder makes you a sociopath.

See what I did there? I said murder, not "killing". Calling it killing makes it seem like some clean act. Murder is what it is. You're killing a man. We allow it because it's war (for some reason) but it's still murder.

Each MOS and unit can be special, but that's not what I'm talking about. Every aspect of the Infantry is different than other MOS's and units. PT, discipline, NCO's, everything weapon related, humor, etc. are all different in the infantry (not to speak of the way every other MOS (18 series not included) behaves in combat). Ask a POG what he thinks about infantry NCO's. He'll probably tell you he thinks they're all assholes. The way people act in the Infantry compared to POG units is very different.

This is somewhat topical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ZS_UxF6Bw&feature=related

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Weaver was also in the Army

he doesn't boast about how many dudes he killed, instead he tends to mention how sometimes he wakes up trying to strangle his wife because he's still dealing with the shit he did and saw

but then by taranis' standards he probably wasn't a real man either

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2009
    That post was very nice bit pretty much irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is mentality about murder.

Upon further consideration, I think the only people who are enthusiastic about murder in the military are a.) the people who have never done it and b.) the people who have and who have to convince themselves that it wasn't a big deal by joking about it.

I know this turned really serious and that I won't win this argument, I just find it offensive that you believe the military are all such horrible people that they WANT to kill.

Edit: Posted to Taranis, not you Dru. Your post was good and you know what is up.

Nostregar on