As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just started AC5. The replying to other characters while dogfighting is throwing me off. Do these mean anything at all?

Also weird is that Steve Blum does so much voice acting but he really only has two voices. Normal guy and tough guy. Sometimes something special like the Green Goblin in Spectacular Spider-Man.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just started AC5. The replying to other characters while dogfighting is throwing me off. Do these mean anything at all?

Also weird is that Steve Blum does so much voice acting but he really only has two voices. Normal guy and tough guy. Sometimes something special like the Green Goblin in Spectacular Spider-Man.

Steve blum has the vocal diversity of a dead lemur.

NickTheNewbie on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ACSIS wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    the only characters I care about are Mr. F-22 and Mrs. A-10

So Mr. F22 is in. Not really surprising.

How about the Su37, Su47, Thyphoon and Rafale?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_jc7INJ42o

Are those in?

You freaking bet those are in.
    I love flying that Berkut around.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm too old-fashion for my own good, so I'm still in a one-sided love affair with the F-14D. Not even my vitriolic dislike of Top Gun can shake that.

But I'd like to see the Su-34 reappear as a long-range fighter-bomber. I mean, a galley and a toilet? That's better than most recreational vehicles. Might as well put that gigantic Flanker body to good use, after all. That, and I'm not sure if a MiG-31 has appeared in AC yet....would be awesome as a supersonic anti-satellite fighter (imagine having to intercept enemy Belkan communication satellites on the edge of space--now that is AC-type shit right there).

Not really a flyable plane, but I'd like the Tu-160 to make a reappearance too, purely for cosmetic (i.e. awesome-factor) reasons. Last time it appeared was AC4, I think. Too long.

Synthesis on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The ones that make some kind of difference are highlighted in green. There are only two of them. Nothing too major, depending on your choice the next mission will be different.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man, this thread being alive again totally makes me consider bying AC6 once more, or at the very least maybe playing through Zero or X to try and dampen the cravings.
    As a kind of random aside I feel that Namco grabbing a Warhammer 40k license and basically making a game of Double Eagle would make me an incredibly happy man. It would probably only sell like ten copies, but I would be one of those ten and it would thrill me greatly.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ObstSkwerl wrote: »
    Pixy was a lot more compelling and likeable than the other characters of the Ace Combat franchise.
    DAMN STRAIGHT. THIS IS WHY I HAVE TO DRAW HIM.

*What a cool guy*
    Also, Pixy is fucking useless. Just because you like his personality--which is entirely reasonable--that doesn't mean he isn't fucking useless like every other Ace Combat wingman ever (barring some sort of prescripted event). Frankly, I found a lot of his dialogue in-mission goddamn annoying--basically, his whole, long, winded tirade during the final encounter is fucking boring and stupid sounding--even if his FMV wasn't half-bad.
    YOU TAKE THAT BACK D:
    I agree while it made no real sense if you look at it well it doesn't fucking have to because it's a god damn game about a single air plane with nigh on infinite missiles saving entire planet from giant laser beams! It doesn't have to be realistic or make sense it just has to be cool!

And Solo Wing Pixy is cool I don't care what you say. He was the first teammate in an ace combat game to actually get kills and have an impact on the game.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm too old-fashion for my own good, so I'm still in a one-sided love affair with the F-14D. Not even my vitriolic dislike of Top Gun can shake that.

Sincerely doubt the F-14s in Top Gun were D models so you're good.

ProPatriaMori on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My childhood love of Independence Day makes me a fan of the F/A-18. That's always my main plane whenever I play AC.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    F/A 18 Interceptor was the first flighsim i played seriously (on Commodore Amiga). So, yes. I love that plane. It was my first virtual ride and nothing can take that away ever. And its really a great plane wich stood the test of time well, even if these days a lot of more advanced technology is around.

ACSIS on
    edited July 2009
    My greates love is the A-10. Coolest combat airplane ever? Let's see:

- Built around the biggest fucking gun a fighter ever carried, that fires explosive coke bottles that can take down a fucking Mil Mi-24 on 2 hits. And can kill mostly anything that moves on the ground.

- Can carry a metric fuckton (a Real Scientific Measurement!) of bombs and shit that explodes, including missiles that tape their mission of death while at it. So you can watch later with some beers. And laugh when the close-up of the horrified tank driver shows up.

- The cockpit is surrounded and protected by a TITANIUM BATHTUB. Titanium. Bathtub. Need I say more? That's a classy way to clean up, huh?

- Can take hits like grown man, instead of vaporizing.

- The pilot can just let shit fly and kill baddies, non of that silly radar operation. Point and Kill baby.

- Looks really fucking mean and cool and awesome.

What else do you guys need?

EDIT: oh yeah, and that most of awesome of all ballistic weapons is called AVENGER. How many other cannons have names?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    I bought Jane's F/A 18 filght sim and a Sidewinder 2 joystick with money I saved up just because I thought the F/A 18 was so cool. Man I'd rather do homework then understand how to fly that thing back in 8th grade.

When I was five I got my first hard on from the 12ft long poster of a F-14 my dad bought me. I had the kids call me Tomcat in kindergarten.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's all about the F-15 ACTIVE

Jesus that's a sexy plane. It shits red white and blue:
    EC97-44177-15.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My greatest love is the A-10. Coolest combat airplane ever? Let's see:

- Built around the biggest fucking gun a fighter ever carried, that fires explosive coke bottles that can take down a fucking Mil Mi-24 on 2 hits. And can kill mostly anything that moves on the ground.

- Can carry a metric fuckton (a Real Scientific Measurement!) of bombs and shit that explodes, including missiles that tape their mission of death while at it. So you can watch later with some beers. And laugh when the close-up of the horrified tank driver shows up.

- The cockpit is surrounded and protected by a TITANIUM BATHTUB. Titanium. Bathtub. Need I say more? That's a classy way to clean up, huh?

- The pilot can just let shit fly and kill baddies, non of that silly radar operation. Point and Kill baby.

EDIT: oh yeah, and that most of awesome of all ballistic weapons is called AVENGER. How many other cannons have names?

Also, when something is still flyable after taking hits like this, it only helps.
    Kim_campbell_damage_a10.jpg

Mechanical on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's all about the F-15 ACTIVE

Jesus that's a sexy plane. It shits red white and blue:
    EC97-44177-15.jpg

Got me through the Ace6 Campaign in style. :D

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited July 2009

Sincerely doubt the F-14s in Top Gun were D models so you're good.

Yeah, I know, it's just the taint.

You want to know the best part? I actually don't hate Tom Cruise as much as most people (then again, the most recent films I've seen him in were Tropic Thunder and Valkyrie). I'd have to say "mere dislike". But Top Gun just sucks so bad. It would have sucked without Cruise, of this I have no doubt. I can't listen to Highway to the Danger Zone without cringing.

A plane that can dogfight?

Seriously, if I wanted to destroy tanks, I'd play a tank destroyer game. Which is not to say the A-10 isn't awesome (especially once people realized that not every single freaking A-10 needs to have those stupid looking shark teeth painted onto the nose), because it is. It's awesome primarily for the same reason the smaller MiG-27 was/is awesome--giant-honking 30-mm vulcan cannon that can tear through God or any MBT on Earth. The Avenger is cool not because of it's name, but for precisely that reason, along with it's counterpart, the GSh-6-30.

I'd go as far as to say Ace Combat does it a disservice because, due to the flight model, the plane's ruggedness and amazing firepower aren't really modeled to their full extent (though AC5 did give an A-10 variant that awesome "fire six ground-targeting missiles at once" option). The gun is basically just the same gun as every other plane, but louder.

AC really is about the dogfighting which, true to life, is not the A-10's purpose (it's much more awesome in games like Lock On: MAC, but also much riskier since it and the Su-25 are the only tactical support planes modeled, and if you get into an air-to-air situation, you are fucked). But if I need to go chasing a MiG-31 or an F-22 heading to Mach 3 and 2.2 respectively, it's not really the way to go.

And those black A-10 IIs from AC5--fucking badass. If you were in any tank in the game when one of those things appeared on the scene, you would be freaking the fuck out.

Also, on an unrelated note--I'm a sucker for the Su-47. The thing is just too awesome looking to exist, even in game.
    e0041466_471870bd0463f.jpg

Synthesis on
    edited July 2009
    I actually love the A-10 after flying it on Lock On and Lock On Gold. It's the most fun of all planes in that game, even more because you can actually do things and kill stuff with it without taking a fucking college course. And the results of weapon usage are pretty brutal and visible. The Su-25 and the Su-29 are kinda more complicated to use, especially with all the awesome special weapons like those double cannon pods that shoot down. It was just fun to load the A-10 Instant Action mission and blowing up vehicles and a couple of choppers. And the land that beast. With full realism options. You can actually fly the A-10 in that game by intuition, after a little practice.

Pitty the game has fucking Starforce and I refuse to install it on Win7. Probably wouldn't work.

But of course, the Hog not a dogfighter at all, even in AC, where the planes don't handle THAT differently.
    It's still awesome. And what I said about the Avenger name was an addendum, I had already mentioned the gun's power.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    The way to get around Starforce, in my experience is....to not install Lock On: Gold. Yeah, just the base program. Better ground textures can be downloaded for free, and I don't really miss the additional aircraft, as horrible as that sounds.

The crowd I used to play with used to take pleasure at hunting down (very easy, due to the speed of the Su-27 or MiG-29) A-10 pilots online. After that, you could do one of two things:

1) Fire a missile. Titanium bathtub or not, you'll likely either tear off a wing or blow out an engine, which is more or less the same thing in Lock On's damage modeling. It doesn't help that most A-10 pilots don't absolutely blow the throttle, in order to do more precisely ground with with the gun.

2) Taunt the pilot. This is hilariously easy, especially with afterburners on the Su-27, in which you can basically rocket past the A-10 over and over again, or even fly circles around them if the A-10 pulls or (or you're a good enough pilot to avoid cratering).

It's pretty horrible, and it's kept me out of an A-10 online. Being in an Su-25 (Su-29 isn't in the game, maybe you're thinking of something else?) isn't much better, and isn't nearly as tough, but it is agile enough to pull a few turns and, if you're good at flying very low, slam a closing pilot into the ground.

Of course, it's much less of a problem in AC games. Though generally, if you're going to have to outturn a large number of "Ace" enemies--you're better off with an F-14B or whatever high-speed fighter also features ground weapons.

Synthesis on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Poppin' in to mention that the IL-2 Birds of Prey demo is coming out this Wednesday for the 360!

http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases/49502/IL-2-Sturmovik-Birds-of-Prey

If I had any type of willpower I would make a badass thread about it, but this one is on page 2 so close enough.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Also, on an unrelated note--I'm a sucker for the Su-47. The thing is just too awesome looking to exist, even in game.

well it barely exists in real life.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought Jane's F/A 18 filght sim and a Sidewinder 2 joystick with money I saved up just because I thought the F/A 18 was so cool. Man I'd rather do homework then understand how to fly that thing back in 8th grade.

When I was five I got my first hard on from the 12ft long poster of a F-14 my dad bought me. I had the kids call me Tomcat in kindergarten.

Depends. Its was a "realistic" (for that time amazing realism - i tell you) flightsim.

The first stunt i ever pulled was on the virtual Golden Gate Bridge, moving closer and closer, each time more daring only to find out it had no FUCKING COLLISION DETECTION FOR THAT BRIDGE.

But it also happens to be a CARRIER BASED PLANE (a really poor choice for a beginner). So i sat there, twelve, and a game wich expects to LAND your plane on a carrier. And i do not talk about FUCKING AUTOPILOT LANDINGS. Airbrake and hook. Plus i had no manual. And i am a german. I only STARTED learning english at that time. But boy i picked it up really fast - i assure you.

If i look back and evaluate who taught me what... computers tought me english for sure. And quite successful i might add.

I am absolutely positive in throwing first grade english students in a multi-million dollar dual engine jetfighters to figure out things like "landing gear" on their own. It really works even if the first results are rather dramatic. But thats what keeps you interested.

ACSIS on
    edited July 2009
    The way to get around Starforce, in my experience is....to not install Lock On: Gold. Yeah, just the base program. Better ground textures can be downloaded for free, and I don't really miss the additional aircraft, as horrible as that sounds.

The crowd I used to play with used to take pleasure at hunting down (very easy, due to the speed of the Su-27 or MiG-29) A-10 pilots online. After that, you could do one of two things:

1) Fire a missile. Titanium bathtub or not, you'll likely either tear off a wing or blow out an engine, which is more or less the same thing in Lock On's damage modeling. It doesn't help that most A-10 pilots don't absolutely blow the throttle, in order to do more precisely ground with with the gun.

2) Taunt the pilot. This is hilariously easy, especially with afterburners on the Su-27, in which you can basically rocket past the A-10 over and over again, or even fly circles around them if the A-10 pulls or (or you're a good enough pilot to avoid cratering).

It's pretty horrible, and it's kept me out of an A-10 online. Being in an Su-25 (Su-29 isn't in the game, maybe you're thinking of something else?) isn't much better, and isn't nearly as tough, but it is agile enough to pull a few turns and, if you're good at flying very low, slam a closing pilot into the ground.

Of course, it's much less of a problem in AC games. Though generally, if you're going to have to outturn a large number of "Ace" enemies--you're better off with an F-14B or whatever high-speed fighter also features ground weapons.

Hum. I'm gonna try installing just base Lock On.

and it's Su-25T, sorry. I had confused it with the Su-39 (which is also an upgrade to the Su-25).

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    Wren wrote: »

well it barely exists in real life.

Yeah, not unlike pretty much all the awesome stuff in AC games.

Synthesis on
    edited July 2009
    So this dude on base is selling the X360 flight stick for $25.....would it make AC6 just that much more fun?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheRussianFunkTheRussianFunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can only imagine how co-op on AC5 would have gone. It would have taken me an age and a half to outfit the squad with Falken's, but missions would just be filled with us flying wildly about shooping and wooping with that laser. The one where when you switch to it, the plane actually looks like it's opening up it's mouth.

Either that or we'd all fly this guy:

l39-albatros.jpg

and comment on how, upon using the throttle or even turning at all, how that person was the best pilot who has ever lived and how - one day - I would be a great pilot like that.

TheRussianFunk on
    edited July 2009
    So this dude on base is selling the X360 flight stick for $25.....would it make AC6 just that much more fun?

For $25, it definitely adds novelty. Personally, i think it makes the game a ton more difficult.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited July 2009
    BTW, I played a bit more HAWX yesterday, and it's a pretty decent AC clone.

BUT WHY OH WHY every single mission is actually a defense or escort mission??? I HATE DEFENSE/ESCORT MISSIONS! Everybody does! That's why there are very few of them in AC games!!! GIVE ME STRIKE MISSIONS MOTHERFUCKERS!

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009

For $25, it definitely adds novelty. Personally, i think it makes the game a ton more difficult.

Wait how is a G turn or whatever performed if you press both brake and throttle on a 360 pad?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009

Wait how is a G turn or whatever performed if you press both brake and throttle on a 360 pad?

If i remember right, there's another button for it.

NickTheNewbie on
  • ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Button on your left thumb handles that.

ObstSkwerl on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only reason I can't keep to playing this is because my first flight game was Fighters Anthology. This feels too simple to me. And I hate that, because it's an awesome game.

Mechanical on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't remember when I played, but during an online coop mission me and another guy from the states get paired up with a couple of Japanese players. We were doing the Agaion assault mission and I can't remember if I flew the f-15 active or Nosferatu Prototype (best planes i had purchased at the time and hadn't finished the game yet) while on of the Japanese pilots picks an A-10.
    My first though is "what ever, maybe he's just that good" and we go in.
    It comes down to the wire and we manage to take down the Squadron, support planes and the engines but we got about 2-5 minutes left to take out the hangerbay.

Then the mission completed pops up. Watching the replay, the A-10 pilot was hanging back until the last targets popped up then took out both of the with an UGB while flying through the Agaion.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Surprised he didn't use the rocket pods to absolutely rape the support cruisers.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »
    My greatest love is the A-10. Coolest combat airplane ever? Let's see:

Also, when something is still flyable after taking hits like this, it only helps.
    Kim_campbell_damage_a10.jpg

Although not from a combat incident...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EXtBEaBbs

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The A10 is a sexy bitch. The sound of the GAU8 is like aural sex. :winky:

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Less awkward, extremely revealing sexual suggestions about inanimate objects, more discussion about the actual Ace Combat games.

I pose a question: which nationality do you (anyone) want to fly for in AC7? I doubt Namco is going to crack their habit of offering more than one story per game, and while there can always be some deception and side-switching involved, ultimately, you start for one side, and usually return to it if you change.

We're probably going to be dealing with the same universe as AC4-6. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if we finally had a Belkan game, though what time period I couldn't even begin to speculate on.

Synthesis on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought Zero was Belkan?

Renzo on
    edited July 2009
    Nah, in Zero you're a mercenary pilot (tell me that isn't awesome--all the adrenaline and airbase-tail of dogfighting, none of the painful and increasingly overdramatic and destructive patriotism of being an officer) in service to the Allied Forces during the Belkan War.

Basically, the entire world that opposed Belka. Belka is AC's Germany, its Smoke Jaguar, its House Kurita, its Galactic Empire. But there are games that let you play from the perspective of some of those stereotypical nemeses. None for Belka, thusfar.

I want to say we're overdo, even though I'd prefer Yuktobania (as I've already stated) due to the superpower/winner status.

Synthesis on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    I can't remember when I played, but during an online coop mission me and another guy from the states get paired up with a couple of Japanese players. We were doing the Agaion assault mission and I can't remember if I flew the f-15 active or Nosferatu Prototype (best planes i had purchased at the time and hadn't finished the game yet) while on of the Japanese pilots picks an A-10.
    My first though is "what ever, maybe he's just that good" and we go in.
    It comes down to the wire and we manage to take down the Squadron, support planes and the engines but we got about 2-5 minutes left to take out the hangerbay.

Then the mission completed pops up. Watching the replay, the A-10 pilot was hanging back until the last targets popped up then took out both of the with an UGB while flying through the Agaion.

The FAE is unbelievably effective for killing those flying super-fortresses. And only available on the A-10, making it an incredibly bad choice if you don't have backup.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think when I move later this year, I'm going to have to repurchase AC6 and get back in the cockpit for some online play. And hopefully I'll have a couple of roommates that can act as wingmen as well.

There's what, six co-op missions available? Including DLC. Anyone got a list of them?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg