As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whedonverse Comics: Buffy Season 8, Angel: After the Fall, Serenity

DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Graphic Violence
Buffy_Season8_comic_Issue_1.jpg

Plot Details: (From Wikipedia)
In addition to the fact that the story takes place "at least a year and a half" after the events of "Chosen",[6] placing it at its earliest in the latter half of 2004 and after the events of "Not Fade Away", the following facts have been revealed:

* Buffy leads five hundred Slayers separated into ten squads, all of which are viewed by the U.S. government as terrorist cells in the wake of Sunnydale's destruction.
* For Buffy's protection, two Slayer lookalikes are in place - one in Italy, one literally underground.
* Buffy is not dating The Immortal as "The Girl in Question" had stated. This is in fact a ruse set up by Andrew Wells using lookalikes, and partially as a prank on Angel and Spike.
* Xander leads "central command" which is in Scotland.
* Dawn experiences "growing pains" of "ginormic [sic] proportions" as a byproduct of losing her virginity. Whedon also makes mention of a "Giant Dawn".[4]
* Anya will definitely reappear although she will not be resurrected. Whedon describes it as being "all about Anya"[7] with a possibility of an appearance by bunnies.
* Amy Madison is set to return in issue #2.[8]
* Whedon plans for all the popular characters to return,[4] although the cast will be slowly introduced as it makes sense to do so.
* The season's Big Bad is set to be a returning cast member.
* Angel and Spike will definitely be featured,[4] but only sparingly.
* Faith will appear in the second arc, written by Brian K. Vaughan.
* Riley Finn and his wife may show up but nothing is set right now as the writers of the comic are going to start with the core characters.[9]
* The demons will apparently "look cooler" without budgetary restraints, but "not as cool as Skip".[7]
* New characters include vampire Slayers Leah, Rowena and Satsu.

Announced Writers:
* Joss Whedon
* Brian K. Vaughan
* Brad Meltzer
* Jeph Loeb
* Steven S. DeKnight
* Jane Espenson
* Drew Goddard
* Drew Greenberg
* Doug Petrie

I saw issue one was out this week and picked it up, twas pretty cool. Discuss here.

Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
FFTSig.jpg
DeVryGuy on

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    More slayers? Ugh. As long as they know their place under Faith and Buffy. Figuratively and literally.

Dawn is a giant slut? Wow.

DarkWarrior on
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dawn is a giant slut? Wow.

Well
    they mean that sort of literally

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I mean it figuratively.

God I hope I'm spelling that right since I've used it twice in two posts.

I hated the extra slayers. Especially that arrogant little bitch who started dating Willow.

DarkWarrior on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, this issue was actually really, really good. The Nick Fury joke was awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    must...purchase...and read

With that kind of writing team there's no way this is going to be anything but awesome.

Furu on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yeah, this issue was actually really, really good. The Nick Fury joke was awesome.

I loved that part. I really like that Xander has "stepped up" to a role more befitting his abilities.

Also, he has to fix less windows this way, I assume.

Did you guys see that they have already announced a second printing for 03/28? Apparently all 100,000 copies are sold out.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's been too long since Buffy was on the air. As a consequence, I could barely remember anything that happened in the last season.

This was pretty cool, even if it was a bit more surprising than it should have been.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's been too long since Buffy was on the air. As a consequence, I could barely remember anything that happened in the last season.

It's better that way.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited March 2007

It's better that way.

Yeah... but from what I can tell it really only references three or four things from last season... and one thing from the last season of Angel..
    1. A crapton of new slayers
    2. fake Buffy dancing with the Immortal (from Angel)
    3. Xander's eye patch and Col. Fury reference
    4. Sunnydale being a huge hole in the ground now
    5. Amy... but she's from almost every season of Buffy... both in mouse form and out of it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited March 2007
    I remembered 1 and 4, never watched Angel (ugh) for 2, forgot 3, and never even thought about 5.

Somewhere, deep inside, I was hoping the reveal at the end would be
    Anya not dead, somehow!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I remembered 1 and 4, never watched Angel (ugh) for 2, forgot 3, and never even thought about 5.

Anya not dead, somehow!

About your spoiler...
    She is apparently coming back, although she might not "be alive."

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited March 2007

Anya not dead, somehow!

The last season of Angel was actually the best thing ever, or at the very least a fine conclusion to the televised Buffy universe.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited March 2007

Anya not dead, somehow!

That's what I was hoping for too!! I actually thought that's where they were going with it. I was definitely surprised.

They still haven't revealed her mystery "boyfriend."

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Anya not dead, somehow!

;_; Anya.

I want her and Tara to show up.

And maybe some ghostly Joyce, too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited March 2007
    They were supposed to bring Tara back during season 7.. but scheduling conflicts prevented it from happening. So, here's hoping!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited March 2007
    This issue really helped establish a firm connection to Fray, too. At least it felt that way to me. It seemed like a good bridge between (or at least first step towards) the two series that seemed, otherwise, disconnected thematically.

Also, re: Anya: Yay.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I'd kind of like to know what Oz spent the last few years of his life doing.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited March 2007

Me too, I really hope they get into that. There was a mini-series that showed what he did during the time he left Sunnydale and then came back, but nothng after that.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited March 2007
    Chorazin wrote: »

Me too, I really hope they get into that. There was a mini-series that showed what he did during the time he left Sunnydale and then came back, but nothng after that.

I was really hoping Oz was going to come back for the last stand in Sunnydale at the end of season 7, but alas, it was not to be.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does the "it wasn't Buffy all along" thing from the Angel episode seem odd to anyone else? I can't put my finger on it but it seems like it was some kind of strange retcon done for some reason.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited March 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Does the "it wasn't Buffy all along" thing from the Angel episode seem odd to anyone else? I can't put my finger on it but it seems like it was some kind of strange retcon done for some reason.

I think the reason was because they didn't want to have buffy running around europe partying with yet another vampire, and the retcon doesn't seem that weird to me.

Especially since the whole "the immortal" think was thrown in just to have a funny spike/angel episode.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    The Immortal wasn't a vampire.

DarkWarrior on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dammit, am I going to have to start reading this? My love of Buffy is warring with my general lack of care about comics.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited March 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Dammit, am I going to have to start reading this? My love of Buffy is warring with my general lack of care about comics.

You don't read comics, but you read a comics forum?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe s/he just forum searches 'Buffy' waaaaay too much.

Wildcat on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Meh, I never checked here until the Buffy comic was about to come out, either. Though admittedly the Civil War/Captain America conclusion motivated me to learn more about it as well.

I'm already having trouble with a comic book's pacing, though. Before this, I mostly just picked up a compilation novel (okay, fine, a Sandman) once a month, and that was a good 8 issues. I finished the first comic on day 1, and I'm already eager for more. Maybe it's just Joss withdrawal.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Meh, I never checked here until the Buffy comic was about to come out, either. Though admittedly the Civil War/Captain America conclusion motivated me to learn more about it as well.

I'm already having trouble with a comic book's pacing, though. Before this, I mostly just picked up a compilation novel (okay, fine, a Sandman) once a month, and that was a good 8 issues. I finished the first comic on day 1, and I'm already eager for more. Maybe it's just Joss withdrawal.

It's about four times worse than waiting for a new episode, but quite a bit better than waiting for a new season.

Mai-Kero on
    edited March 2007

I think they figured they could do away with it simply because Buffy was never really seen in the episode, just the back of someone who looked like SMG.

Plus, that whole thing made me not a big fan of Buffy, to be honest. I mean, Spike sacrifices himself, then she's all fallen for the Player of the Underworld? It made her seem pretty shallow, to be honest.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

I think they figured they could do away with it simply because Buffy was never really seen in the episode, just the back of someone who looked like SMG.

Plus, that whole thing made me not a big fan of Buffy, to be honest. I mean, Spike sacrifices himself, then she's all fallen for the Player of the Underworld? It made her seem pretty shallow, to be honest.

The worst thing is the common misconception that the Immortal is a vampire, I think. For what's basically a joke episode, that theory really messes up a lot of the mythology of the series. I once heard a podcast where one of the hosts theorized that this actually made Buffy evil! His logic:

The Immortal was a vampire, but the show never indicated that he had a soul or other restraints like Spike's old chip.

Buffy found enough reason to date him anyway, so presumably he wasn't evil.

Thus, vampires have the capacity to be good, even without souls.

Thus, all the other vampires Buffy killed two seconds out of the grave could have been good as well.

Thus, by killing them before they had the chance, Buffy was evil.

...I never said it was good logic. Though I'm suppose that, post-Season 2, they could have tried to curse all the vampires they met with souls again. Maybe those spheres were too rare, though. It also begs the question of where the souls are while the vampires a running around. Are they in heaven or some other afterlife? Or are they trapped in limbo somewhere while their bodies are still active? If the former, than giving a vampire its soul back is an incredibly cruel thing to do to the original person.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I just thought it made Buffy kind of a skank.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited March 2007
    A skank for not saving herself for Spike, who was supposed to be dead, and Angel, who was heading up an evil law firm and goes insane when she screws him?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Anya not dead, somehow!

Angel season 5 was imo the best season of the entire Buffy/Angel run. I really wanted it to get another year or two. :(

Scooter on
    edited March 2007
    Nope... a skank for how fast she jumped to someone else... actually... yeah, I don't really know why I thought that, to be honest. Maybe because they described the Immortal as such a player... I thought Buffy was better then that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited March 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

Anya not dead, somehow!

Angel season 5 was imo the best season of the entire Buffy/Angel run. I really wanted it to get another year or two. :(

Not Fade Away was pretty awesome, even if the ending was a big tease.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

Anya not dead, somehow!

Not Fade Away was pretty awesome, even if the ending was a big tease.

It was totally the best ending ever.
    "I kinda want to slay the dragon.

Mai-Kero on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dude.

I think you'll fine the puppet episode was the best ever.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited March 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    Dude.

I think you'll fine the puppet episode was the best ever.

I'm gonna tear you a new puppet hole.

Everything except Connor and Season 4 was gold. God knows who took over during 4 and thought any of that was clever.

DarkWarrior on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I didn't like season 3-5 of Angel (well, aside from a few episodes scattered throughout).

I never fell in love with Fred the way they wanted me to, and absolutely hated what they did with Cordelia.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I didn't like season 3-5 of Angel (well, aside from a few episodes scattered throughout).

I never fell in love with Fred the way they wanted me to, and absolutely hated what they did with Cordelia.
    I always got the feeling that Whedon had picked up some kind of weird psychological "quirk" that forced him to get Cordelia pregnant with all kinds of things. Seriously, doesn't she get knocked up three or four times during the Angel series? I still can't help feeling that Whedon pissed away Cordy completly in the end of the show.

Oh, and fuck that little shit Connor....

Silpheed on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    Buffy was fairly bad after they went to college, but the last straw was when Xander saved the world using the power of friendship.

Seriously that show licked ass balls after the third season.

Tube on