As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OMEGATHON THREAD! (Bow down before your OMEGA-MASTERS)

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
So the Omegathon selections are less than a week away. Will you get the call?
Tycho wrote:
We will be choosing the Omeganauts on August 5th, from the pool of those who have registered to attend this year's show. If you want to get "in the mix," as it were, then registering today is strongy advised. Of course, even if you aren't chosen, you're still going to PAX. There's really no way to lose.

So let the frenzy begin. What games do you think will be included this year? What will the super-secret final round entail? Nobody knows (well somebody does, but they're not talking). Speculate here. Also, if you get chosen next Wednesday, be sure to post about it here. All Omeganauts and announced games will be added to the OP as information is released.

Also, feel free to discuss previous years' Omegathons in all their glory (post pictures too, if you like).

THE CHOSEN ONES (real names followed by forum/irc/twitter handles)
  • Darin Blanchard - bl00k
  • Matt Carmack
  • Thaddaeus Engelmann - drobro/chupamiubre
  • Jackson Foster
  • Alejandra Garcia - Lokiale
  • Mary Jacobson - A Serious Pirate
  • Rachel Kraft - awitelintsta/mrsashlux
  • Ken Lindas - Bob Jackass
  • David Medwid
  • Daniel Merritt
  • Eric Moran - deveric
  • Sean Morris
  • Mark Petcavage - emarecksaykay
  • Alexander Rakoczy - scissorjammer
  • Ryan Taylor - Randomfool/loofmodnar
  • Neal Torres
  • Hans Wuerflein - wuerflein/hans
  • Isha Zubeidi - eye-shuh
  • Grace Hoang
  • Noah Callaway

THE CHOSEN GAMES
  • Round 1: Mario Kart Double Dash
  • Round 2: Bookworm Adventures
  • Round 3: Halo 3: ODST
  • Round 4: Unnamed rhythm game (DJ Hero or Rock Band: Beatles, maybe?)
  • Round 5: Connect Four
  • Final Round: ?????

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would personally love to see a L4D round with the last four. Whoever kills the most zombies. It would be awesome to watch them sabotage each other by setting off car alarms and luring tanks. And light people on fire!

eye-shuh on
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This years Rock Band round would have to be Beatles: Rock Band, but this year they can have it earlier as a 6v6 round with 3 singers per team for the sections with harmonies. Only question would be what song do they bring out for it. Might be something unannounced? Casual round would have to be Plants Vs Zombies.

Either way, Omegathon is always epic and has awesome moments -
    1263753867_62c7bf2d52.jpg
    1264604132_f13a7a789a.jpg
    2827000030_0d7580b7dc.jpg
    2826162547_16b2020700.jpg

(Photos from DarkPhibre who does some seriously awesome PAX photography)

CuZZa on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Praise Science they're making the calls next week. I've been without my phone for over a week since I'm in China and would've been pissed if they did the calls while I was incommunicado.

As far as previous Omegathon moments, Combat > *.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait, they are actual calls that go out? I hope I am near a phone that day...

EDIT: Just checked what day of the week that was, and I am good for the 5th. Its a Wednesday, and I am not working, so I will be near my phone all day.

Brex123 on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Correct. Gabe/Tycho (and maybe others) will call the phone number you used to register with (so it damn well better not be a fake one) to ask you if you want to be an Omeganaut. They will *NOT* call back if you don't answer, so it's best to stand directly under your nearest cell phone tower with your phone grafted onto the side of your skull to be sure you get the call, if they do call you.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    IM SO CONFUSED! HAY GUYZ IS THIS FOR WEST OR EAST COAST PAX?! :P

Hay moe you forgot to tag it

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That happens to be my birthday. Getting an Omegathon call would be the greatest present ever.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Something waaay old school would be cool, like Kaboom! or Demon Attack or Cosmic Ark....and as for the non electronic game, how about something cool like Twister. And I hope they have Beatles Rock Band, as that would rock the house!!

Rayman on
  • Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    whypick1 wrote:
    Correct. Gabe/Tycho (and maybe others) will call the phone number you used to register with (so it damn well better not be a fake one) to ask you if you want to be an Omeganaut.

That's mildly annoying. The box for the cellphone number wasn't big enough for an entire UK cellphone number, so mine's incomplete. Unless the Omegathon is only open to US residents, in which case it won't matter at all, but I've never read anything that suggests that.... Oh well, the chances I'd be picked are slim anyway!

Frightfully English on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    IM SO CONFUSED! HAY GUYZ IS THIS FOR WEST OR EAST COAST PAX?! :P

Hay moe you forgot to tag it
    Hahah oops. fix'd

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think Rock Band is a fair game to have. It would SUCK to have to be on a team with people who are not good at it.

If I didn't hate SingStar, I would say just pit people against each other in a straight up points battle, mano y mano.

eye-shuh on
  • awitelintstaawitelintsta Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So it would suck if you had a job that required you to 1. be at work on a Wednesday, and 2. be inside a building with spotty cell service, right?

:(

awitelintsta on
    http://awitelintsta.gamerdna.com/
    Roleplayer, Pirate, and 2009 Omeganaut :D
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So it would suck if you had a job that required you to 1. be at work on a Wednesday, and 2. be inside a building with spotty cell service, right?

Them's the breaks.

ASimPerson on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

This is me.

Although, I have the worst chance-based-luck in the world, so I'm not expecting any calls anyway! Also I'll be too busy!

Also, I'll be really surprised if there is no BlazBlue.

MetaverseNomad on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't even remember what phone number I put down. Although I didn't ask to be considered anyway, too many things to see without losing it all to being a contestant.

I hear the omegathon rounds are one of the harder things to get into to watch. Just the final round or all of them?

Asiina on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i'm forwarding my home phone to my cellphone that day!!!

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited July 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Them's the breaks.

Bummer. Understandable that no matter what day they'd call, someone would probably be at work or unable to take said call, but I still expected that they'd not pick a traditional work day. Ah well.

awitelintsta on
    edited July 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    I can't even remember what phone number I put down. Although I didn't ask to be considered anyway, too many things to see without losing it all to being a contestant.

I hear the omegathon rounds are one of the harder things to get into to watch. Just the final round or all of them?

The final round is the easiest to get into, its the other rounds that are a pain becuase they are held in smaller rooms/areas.

BigRed on
    edited July 2009
    Them's the breaks.

Bummer. Understandable that no matter what day they'd call, someone would probably be at work or unable to take said call, but I still expected that they'd not pick a traditional work day. Ah well.

Its always been during the week.

BigRed on
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Last year I missed the call because I wasn't checking the site for updates.

Not so this year. I taped a sign to my bedroom door.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • pNopNo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have they called in the morning times for the other Omeganauts?

I would figure they would call later in the afternoon for a higher chance at having the phone answered, that's just my take on the idea. Either way, I'm not going to get picked, I just figure I'd throw out that little tidbit incase it might get answered.

pNo on
    edited July 2009
    Ah, well, I'm a PAX n00b, so I didn't know that. I assumed differently. Knowledge is power. :P

awitelintsta on
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is it possible to check the phone number you used to register with?

I tried using the search function to answer this question, some guy asked the same thing but his question was never answered.

*Nevermind, I found it.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    care to share your knowledge??? :P

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i have this ridiculous fear that im going to be doing something horrifying like a rectal exam when the phone rings. ahhh, conundrum.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Them's the breaks.

And even if it were on a weekend, this thread would be filled with people saying, "I'm going to be doing something this weekend what if I don't notice my phone vibrating AHHHHHHHHH."

Let me put it this way.

We know there's around 73000 people pre-registered, based off what Khoo told us. Let's say half of them (probably a conservative estimate) registered for the Omegathon. That means you have a 0.03% chance of getting the call. Not 3, 0.03 percent.

So my suggestion is to not worry about it too much. :)

ASimPerson on
    edited July 2009
    Keep in mind that a 73k is turnstile attendance. So a three day pass = three people by that count. Not everybody buys a three day pass though, so that figure isn't exact.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2009

And even if it were on a weekend, this thread would be filled with people saying, "I'm going to be doing something this weekend what if I don't notice my phone vibrating AHHHHHHHHH."

Let me put it this way.

We know there's around 73000 people pre-registered, based off what Khoo told us. Let's say half of them (probably a conservative estimate) registered for the Omegathon. That means you have a 0.03% chance of getting the call. Not 3, 0.03 percent.

:: puts on the cape and the nerd hat ::
    (edited after moe's post, and extra edited after BigReds post in another thread)

75k is the building cap, not the amount of people preregistereing, but im thinking this:

20k people have preregistered with 3 day tickets
    15k clicked off that they want to be chosen as an omeganaut
    they probably make about 40-50 calls, depending on who answers the phone
    so around 1:375 chance of being called.. =. around .3 percent.

annnnd i have no life

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man oh man oh man, I want the call. Cell phone at the ready...

AltDelete on
  • Joey GekoJoey Geko Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was standing in my kitchen last years when this unknown number showed up on my phone. I considered, for a moment, letting it go to voice mail. The following ensued:

Voice: "Hi, is this Jo?"
    Me: "Yes..."
    Voice: "Hi, this is Tycho, from Penny Arcade-"
    Me: "Yeah right! Who the fuck is this, for real?"
    Tycho(with Gabe laughing in the background): "No, seriously. Did you register to be considered for the Omegathon?"
    Me: "Seriously? Holy Fuck!!"

The rest is history... Best phone call from the Seattle area I've ever gotten.

Joey Geko on
    Douche-Bag, Intellectual, Elitist Scum, Well-read Traveler, Nabob, Member of the Class of Omeganaut '08. The Omeganaut.
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had a dream last night that I was picked as an Omeganaut, and that the final round was "lightning round Scrabble" where each contestant had approximately 10 seconds to lay down a word. Tiles were flying into the crowd as we violently, bouncing off of the board as we threw our letters down trying to beat our time limit.

I want so badly for that dream to become true. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had a dream last night that I was picked as an Omeganaut, and that the final round was "lightning round Scrabble" where each contestant had approximately 10 seconds to lay down a word. Tiles were flying into the crowd as we violently, bouncing off of the board as we threw our letters down trying to beat our time limit.

I want so badly for that dream to become true. =)

Maybe not the Scrabble part...spelling of words is easy, but it's the thinking of words that are not for me. But that would seem like a kick-ass dream come true.

Anywho! To place in my three pence...

I, personally, would like to hit it my generation's version of old school--Millipede or Centipede. Or maybe Ice Hockey. Or go all Nick Arcade and have like a crazy duel of something like Sonic or whatevs.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Joey Geko wrote: »
    I was standing in my kitchen last years when this unknown number showed up on my phone. I considered, for a moment, letting it go to voice mail. The following ensued:

Voice: "Hi, is this Jo?"
    Me: "Yes..."
    Voice: "Hi, this is Tycho, from Penny Arcade-"
    Me: "Yeah right! Who the fuck is this, for real?"
    Tycho(with Gabe laughing in the background): "No, seriously. Did you register to be considered for the Omegathon?"
    Me: "Seriously? Holy Fuck!!"

The rest is history... Best phone call from the Seattle area I've ever gotten.

That is too cool. I'd like to think I'd be all quick and witty if I got the call, but I would entirely lose my shit.

Tycho: Hi, this is Tyc
    Me: *GARBLE* (passes out)

AltDelete on
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

This is me.

Although, I have the worst chance-based-luck in the world, so I'm not expecting any calls anyway! Also I'll be too busy!

Also, I'll be really surprised if there is no BlazBlue.

erin you have THE WORST cell phone service at your work. EVER

also, it was a fun 4th of july party. had a blast....

s7arbuck on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Let me put it this way.

(edited after moe's post)

75k is the building cap, not the amount of people preregistereing, but im thinking this:

40k people have preregistered with 3 day tickets
    30k clicked off that they want to be chosen as an omeganaut
    so around 1:600 chance of being chosen = ~.15 percent

annnnd i have no life

But wait, 75k is the total among all three days. So thats 25k each day, but assuming not everyone selected a 3 day pass, I wouldnt guess that there would be more than 30k people preregistered. A third at least probably chose not to be considered, so it more likely that your chances are based out of 15-20k people...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited July 2009
    LTAcosta wrote: »

Let me put it this way.

(edited after moe's post)

40k people have preregistered with 3 day tickets
    30k clicked off that they want to be chosen as an omeganaut
    so around 1:600 chance of being chosen = ~.15 percent

annnnd i have no life

But wait, 75k is the total among all three days. So thats 25k each day, but assuming not everyone selected a 3 day pass, I wouldnt guess that there would be more than 30k people preregistered. A third at least probably chose not to be considered, so it more likely that your chances are based out of 15-20k people...

yea, i edited it about one minute before your post. i agree

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    for God's sake, can we get Hard difficulty in the Rock Band round?! medium sucks.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited July 2009
    I think we've gotten to a point where people should be able to choose their difficulty (medium or above).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I think we've gotten to a point where people should be able to choose their difficulty (medium or above).
    omg, i would love to go expert on drums for a really hard song in the omegathon! that would = win, since i can get scores higher than the entire competition from last year solo!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited August 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Do hard /w nofail

BigRed on
This discussion has been closed.