As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] No Bawls Booth at PAX :(

darkwondersdarkwonders Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
According to the Bawls Guarana guys... they not allowed to be let into PAX because some other company has a hold on what brand of drinks will be allowed, and Bawls isn't one of them. :(

I dunno about the rest of you guys... but Bawls is probably one of the best energy drinks out there, and to deprive them of being let into THE biggest gaming convention of the year is really disheartening. I mean come on! Bawls was made for gamers!

I hate greedy companies that refuse to let great products in because it may detract away from their "profits."

Well Guess what? I refuse to buy any drinks within PAX now because of that. I know I'm only 1 person... but I feel better about it!

/rant

darkwonders on

• KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's been this way since PAX moved to the WSCTC. I believe Sodexo has a contract with the convention center that says that they are the only ones authorized to sell food or drink in conventions. (Correction: it's Aramark, thanks BigRed) Bawls could conceivably have a booth if they really wanted to, but could not sell the drink.

Two years ago, instead of selling Bawls, it was given away freely in the line-up room before PAX officially opened. A bit of a loophole, but an expensive one. It was a nice gesture, but certainly not one I expected to see agaim.

Kyouteki on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    According to the Bawls Guarana guys... they not allowed to be let into PAX because some other company has a hold on what brand of drinks will be allowed, and Bawls isn't one of them. :(

I dunno about the rest of you guys... but Bawls is probably one of the best energy drinks out there, and to deprive them of being let into THE biggest gaming convention of the year is really disheartening. I mean come on! Bawls was made for gamers!

I hate greedy companies that refuse to let great products in because it may detract away from their "profits."

Well Guess what? I refuse to buy any drinks within PAX now because of that. I know I'm only 1 person... but I feel better about it!

/rant

This has been the case since PAX moved to the WSCTC. Not much we can do about it, because the con center has a lockdown on all food vendors in the place.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    you will be one thirsty protester

Monoxide on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    aramark has the food and beverage contract @ the wsctc

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aramark, that's right. My mistake.

Kyouteki on
  • darkwondersdarkwonders Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I knew it had something to do with the place it was at. Didn't know who the culprit was tho.

I still don't have to forgive them for not letting anyone sell products there.
    Seeing as this is my first year at PAX, I was not aware how long this has been going on, but rest assured I will not go thirsty.

Are we allowed to bring in beverages or do we have to buy stuff in there?

darkwonders on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I knew it had something to do with the place it was at. Didn't know who the culprit was tho.

I still don't have to forgive them for not letting anyone sell products there.
    Seeing as this is my first year at PAX, I was not aware how long this has been going on, but rest assured I will not go thirsty.

Are we allowed to bring in beverages or do we have to buy stuff in there?

You can bring stuff in for personal immidate consumption (a few bottles in a backpack or so or offsite food) but if you are hauling a cooler in or cases of something for yourself or to share with others, thats a no no

You should have gone to pax in 04/05/06 when bawls was there in full force.

BigRed on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Ahhh... the glory days when Bawls flowed freer than water...

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AndymatronAndymatron Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    proXimity wrote: »

Ahhh... the glory days when Bawls flowed freer than water...

Who could forget 06?
    ALL HAIL BALL!

Andymatron on
    Error 404: Pants not found O_o
  • Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ah...'06... my first PAX... It was amazing, and no one shall ever forget ball. Although it did feel like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inA-36YRV0Y
    It was worth it

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maybe Brawndo will be handing out samples again? Their booth was pretty cool last year.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Except Brawndo isn't on the sponsors list anymore, so they might not be there this year. It really sucks too, I only got about 6 cans of it left. My group is planning on ordering our own to keep in the hotel though.

'06 was my first year, and the presence of Bawls was one of my greatest memories of the single day I was there, it was pretty epic. Hopefully the convention center in Boston is more open with vendors selling drinks.

Mana Energy Potion and Jones Soda are sponsoring this year, so maybe they'll each have booths with drinks on sale, which is fine with me.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Except Brawndo isn't on the sponsors list anymore, so they might not be there this year. It really sucks too, I only got about 6 cans of it left. My group is planning on ordering our own to keep in the hotel though.

'06 was my first year, and the presence of Bawls was one of my greatest memories of the single day I was there, it was pretty epic. Hopefully the convention center in Boston is more open with vendors selling drinks.

Mana Energy Potion and Jones Soda are sponsoring this year, so maybe they'll each have booths with drinks on sale, which is fine with me.

Those Mana Potions taste like ass, though the red one is far worse than the blue. They have this distinct multivitamin smell that doesn't seem to go away. Also, they're ungodly expensive for something so small, nontasty and made of plastic (about 4-5 dollars each)

jones soda, on the other hand, is made of massive win

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know well how expensive the mana pots are, though I've still wanted to try one.

And yes, Jones Soda is made of massive win. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It would be awesome if jones had some kind of limited edition pax soda, akin to the gross but fun holiday pack.

hmm, now that should be a contest. Name the Pax Flavour for Jones

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

/rant

I don't know about you, but I was going to be bringing my "Survival Kit" which will mostly be filled with Bawls and chocolate Coated Coffee Beans.

Of all the people here, I'm probably the newest Bawls fan, as I only tried it for the first time a month and a half ago. I was in a gas station and was flabergasted to see that there was a place in my small town selling them, been an addict ever since

Sir_Lag on
  • Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It would be awesome if jones had some kind of limited edition pax soda, akin to the gross but fun holiday pack.

hmm, now that should be a contest. Name the Pax Flavour for Jones

Nerd Sweat
    40 Year Old Ale
    Solid Snake
    Pizza
    Balls (lol)

Sir_Lag on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I <3 Jones Soda..

Does that mean they'll probably have their energy drink there? Or just their colas?

I like their colas but I want to try their Big Ol' Can Of Whoop-Ass , it has an awesome description
    Revitalizes attitude, restores faith in mankind

parabola on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the Sno-Bawls refillable cup was awesome. Though i think the poor people running the booth looked a bit harrowed towards the end.

I wish i could find the Cherry Bawls here :(

chaosisorder on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the Sno-Bawls refillable cup was awesome. Though i think the poor people running the booth looked a bit harrowed towards the end.

Bevmo?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I been saying it since PAX moved to the WSCC, what Bawls needs to do is open a booth *OUTSIDE* the convention center - Freeway Park butts right up against the back of the convention center, which has doors leading right out to it (lotsa people already go out there to take a break and eat and stuff). Then they only have to deal with the city, which likes vendors.

Dreamwriter on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I been saying it since PAX moved to the WSCC, what Bawls needs to do is open a booth *OUTSIDE* the convention center - Freeway Park butts right up against the back of the convention center, which has doors leading right out to it (lotsa people already go out there to take a break and eat and stuff). Then they only have to deal with the city, which likes vendors.

This. All Hail Bawls!

edit: wow, sorry, this was a pretty superfluous post. :/

MetaverseNomad on
  • tehshadowtehshadow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sir_Lag wrote: »

Nerd Sweat
    Pizza

Right before i read that post, those were the first two names that popped into my head.

tehshadow on
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    last year we order two cases of bawls from the local QFC (it helps that i work there blah blah blah) but yeah. @brewer and i got bawls and gave some out, and had bawls all weekend. i suggest you guys to maybe do the same. maybe to atlease just have in your hotel?

s7arbuck on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    last year we order two cases of bawls from the local QFC (it helps that i work there blah blah blah) but yeah. @brewer and i got bawls and gave some out, and had bawls all weekend. i suggest you guys to maybe do the same. maybe to atlease just have in your hotel?

were you the person I paid $5 to put bawls in my mouth last year?

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited July 2009
    SmallLady wrote: »
    s7arbuck wrote: »

were you the person I paid $5 to put bawls in my mouth last year?

if so. it went to the cookie brigade. so it wasn't at all at a profit. and we paid for the bawls out of our pocket. we just wanted them. and then so did everyone else.....

s7arbuck on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Bevmo?

GENIUS! I tired every gamery type computer place. I did not go somewhere that sold beverages.

They have cherry, sugar free and some weird rootbeer version.

chaosisorder on
    edited July 2009

Bevmo?

GENIUS! I tired every gamery type computer place. I did not go somewhere that sold beverages.

g33k b33r

its delicous, get it

BigRed on
  • darkwondersdarkwonders Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow... didn't think this thread would be so popular.

Glad to see so many people that like Bawls :mrgreen:

darkwonders on
    edited July 2009
    Wow... didn't think this thread would be so popular.

Glad to see so many people that like Bawls :mrgreen:

Bawls isnt new :P espically not to pax.

BigRed on
  • HicksHicks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Or BigRed's mouth.

Hicks on
  • JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hicks wrote: »
    Or BigRed's mouth.

You and your fascination with BigRed's mouth and things that go in it.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Bevmo?

Also http://www.popsoda.com/ if you live in Scottsdale might be better/cheaper.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    I like their colas but I want to try their Big Ol' Can Of Whoop-Ass , it has an awesome description
    Revitalizes attitude, restores faith in mankind

Just the thing to turn my life around!

ACC3SS on
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The QFC on Pike and Broadway sales Bawls now I started noticing it there a month or two ago. Original and root beer flavors. They dont seem to have a lot in stock usually. Someone may want to call them ahead of time to make sure there prepared.

I think all QFCs in Seattle sales Bawls, but this QFC is closest to PAX.

atray on
    edited August 2009
    atray wrote: »
    The QFC on Pike and Broadway sales Bawls now I started noticing it there a month or two ago. Original and root beer flavors. They dont seem to have a lot in stock usually. Someone may want to call them ahead of time to make sure there prepared.

I think all QFCs in Seattle sales Bawls, but this QFC is closest to PAX.

i know not ALL of them do. but u-village, Roosevelt, and the cap hill stores do
    i know wallingford and holmroad stores do not

however you can easily "special" a case (24) at any store. but you should do it about 2 weeks in advance

s7arbuck on
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The queen anne QFC off of mercer has Bawls too.

atray on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Bevmo?

g33k b33r

its delicous, get it

THIS. g33k b33r is my favorite Bawls.

Also, if you're a member of the ECA, last year they had a Members Only area that was stocked with free snacks, an arcade game, beverages, and BAWLS. It was Epic Win to sit in a plush comfy chair in the middle of the Expo Hall, sipping cold Bawls while throngs of lesser PAX goers seethed. It was great. :mrgreen: But I did grab a couple to-go for my bf at the time, and a fellow BYOCer.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes, what would you do without your Bawls and the attendant jokes? Of all the things to complain about at PAX. But hey, they say it's made for gamers so it must be true. Right?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.