As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unattended / Automatic CD ripping setup?

HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
I have a mountain of CDs that aren't getting played because they're CDs, not MP3s. We're talking 300 discs roughly. I want to rip the tracks off all of them into high-quality MP3s.

I don't want to do each one manually.

So, can anyone recommend a PC+software solution that will allow basically unattended ripping of CDs? Ideally, I'd like the software to take a CD, rip all the songs, tag them with track info, eject the disc, and start the process again when I insert a new CD. My only interaction would be putting in the discs. I have a spare PC, and can run either Windows XP or Linux on it, so hardware and OS isn't an issue.

Any suggestions?

QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
> turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
HarshLanguage on

• Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Find some extra cdrom drives, and try this maybe? http://handyripper.com/automated_cd_ripping.php

Pulls info from FreeDB, but if its not there you'll have to manually enter info. I havent used this software before, but there is a portableapps version so you dont have to actually install anything.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That ripper has a 7 track/cd limit, unregistered. Registration costs monies, of course.

Anyway, even iTunes and Windows Media Player can rip to *.mp3 with automated cd ejection thereafter, so there's no need to shell out money nowadays. They use different CD databases, though - apparently iTunes uses Gracenote? No idea what WMP uses.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sooo, what do you do when it doesn't recognize the CD correctly? I'm currently using a couple of programs to go through each CD I ripped individually and tag them correctly from zee internets as well as grabbing album art, which I have to search for manually to find a quality image, to the mp3 tags.

It sucks, and it's tedious.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ToyD wrote: »
    Sooo, what do you do when it doesn't recognize the CD correctly? I'm currently using a couple of programs to go through each CD I ripped individually and tag them correctly from zee internets as well as grabbing album art, which I have to search for manually to find a quality image, to the mp3 tags.

It sucks, and it's tedious.

Musicbrainz Picard with album downloader plugin works great. Worth checking out.

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardDownload
    http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Picard_Plugins

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Music junkie is serious business

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    you can set iTunes to automatically rip a CD as soon as it's inserted.

in the year 2009, unless the CD is a burned one, or really off the wall, you won't find any problems with automatic tagging. in 2002 maybe, but not in 2009.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, if it's a top 100, I'd agree. Throw some classical music in or an oddball mix, and you are setting yourself up for a mistagged album.

Also, I do use a mix of MagicTagger, MusicBrainz, and Media Monkey to do all my tagging. And yes, auto-rip when CD inserted is ok. But what about album art? Sometimes it's not even right.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't say it needs to be a top 100, really. In fact, oddly enough, the only cds I've ever had problems with are classical music (random piano guy playing famous songs #993921). Everything else is fine.

Anyway, I know that Windows does that normally annoying thing where it pops up a dialogue asking you what to do when you insert a cd. "Rip CD" is usually an option, so check the "always this" option and insert away. Not so fancy, but it might get the job done.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png