As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Youtube slow to load

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
For the past few months I have noticed that Youtube videos have been loading slower and slower. When Youtube HD launched, it would stream without issue for instant viewing. Now I have to leave a video loading for upwards of 10 minutes to get un-interrupted playback. Now it has gotten to the point where I have to leave non-HD videos for a minute or two just to watch without a second pause every so often, especially during the daytime hours. I know available bandwidth from my side is not an issue (20mb/20mb FIOS connection).

What I am getting around to asking here; Has anyone else (Pacific NW specifically) been having these same issues? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on getting more bandwidth out of Youtube.

That_Guy on

• Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes, noticed the same thing. I also have to frequently refresh to get a movie to start loading. Instead I get a message that states "An error occurred. Please try again later."

I've tested this from machines running Windows XP and OSX Leopard with connections ranging from DSL to a shared DS3. The youtube slowness is fairly consistent.

The cynic in me suspects that the $$$ required to properly scale Youtube is not being spent by Google, becuase Youtube is an incredible money loser for them. They've lost $500mil addition to the $500mil they spent acquiring it in the first place.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never known YouTube to not be terrible.

Sheep on