As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7/29/09: Do as He Has Done

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I guess my MOTW was finally reading the Skaar Son of the Hulk trade. I liked it, but I recognize that it would've been hell to read in singles. It's pretty much Planet Hulk: Again, but instead of 14 issues to flesh out the world and the characters in it, Pak tries to cram everything into six issues and a couple one shots and it really doesn't serve the story at all.

I don't know if it's Pak or Editorial, but Planet Hulk felt like it was being artificially rushed towards the conclusion at the expense of the story rather than letting the elements come together naturally. Skaar seems to have the same rush turned up to eleven.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is Wednesday Comics still selling well at your store? MY LCS was concerned with how the book is falling way short of what they thought for sales.

My LCS still had a full rack of Wednesday comics, and the only one that seems to have sold well was #1.

I really think the experiment isn't working out, and the price point is a big part of it. It's hard to overlook flaws when it costs so much.

Lux on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lux wrote: »
    Is Wednesday Comics still selling well at your store? MY LCS was concerned with how the book is falling way short of what they thought for sales.

My LCS still had a full rack of Wednesday comics, and the only one that seems to have sold well was #1.

I really think the experiment isn't working out, and the price point is a big part of it. It's hard to overlook flaws when it costs so much.

Honestly, I believe them when they say the sales are exceeding their predictions. They probably set low estimates, and I imagine it's carrying better in certain locations and shops (and particularly on subscription websites, since I imagine the people who use them may have a bit more cash) than it is in other places.

I love it, but I may have to drop it soon. If I can get through the next 3-4 issues, then I'll be able to finish it, but if I have to drop, then it's unlikely that I'll be hunting for back-issues and trying to catch up afterward.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moment was picking up the TMNT collected book.

Everyone go buy it. Do it now.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    original eastman/laird collection?

If so, did they print in multiple shades of gray or by using halftoning dots?

I think art for both exists for those.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Really liked Dark Reign Hawkeye this week, interesting twist at the end. No real character progression on Bullseyes part but still an interesting story.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dark Reign The Hood conflicts me, I like the whole villain side but not the family part. I have no attachment to those characters and they just seem to be taking time away from the villain part.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure his family is going away next issue.

I just got a feeling.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure his family is going away next issue.

I just got a feeling.

I imagine that
    itll go two ways. Either Fang decides not to him because the family is there and she oesnt want them to become like she has, possibly Controller takes over the armour and makes her do it anyway AND possibly then Dormammu will offer to revive them in exchange for Parkers servitude

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, that T-Bolts sounds kinda rad.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dark Reign The Hood conflicts me, I like the whole villain side but not the family part. I have no attachment to those characters and they just seem to be taking time away from the villain part.

I like the family parts, i feel that they're important to show that Parker isn't evil, he's just a dick head looking for an easier life who got in way too deep.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I liked Son of Hulk 13, nice twist if its true.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

spoiler?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

spoiler?
    Hulk and Caeira had two sons, Skaar who can become a Hulk but I think has a form like Caeira and one who looks (at the moment at least) just like Caiera. He has access to the old power, flies up to Galactus' face and tells him flat out that hes going to make him suffer then goes to some dangerous planet (he only looks like a kid), faces all the super aggresive inhabitants there and says "You will come to know me as god".

So considering the douche personality, its 50/50 its Hulks.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to say that to my GF right before i disappoint her tonight.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    This is like the fifth time I've said it adn I don't care

I got Miracleman #1 today

Fuck yeah

Me Too! on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My MotW so far - seeing the following image (spoilered for size) posted over at the John Byrne Forum - the guy can still draw his ass off when he wants to:
    2009-07-28_134811_Doom.JLA.A.jpg

Edit: And a link to a larger version:

http://imgboot.com/images/bchrys/doom_2.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My MotW so far - seeing the following image (spoilered for size) posted over at the John Byrne Forum - the guy can still draw his ass off when he wants to:
    2009-07-28_134811_Doom.JLA.A.jpg

I would buy 50 copies of that book.

Hensler on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    snip

I like how
    Stupid ass batman is the only one that isn't almost dead. I feel like it's commentary.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It is a great piece of art.

If only someone puts in a word balloon of Doom calling WW "a fat cow with a whore's tongue" or something like in Mighty Avengers it would be spot on.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Did anyone grab Detective Comics?

Can anyone tell me what the fuck was going on in that book?

I grabbed Detective. And no, no I can't.

Seriously? It wasn't that hard to understand.
    Batwoman captures Alice, the leader of the Crime Cult. Kate disarms her, and tries to get Alice to say why the Cult is after her. Kate realizes everything Alice says is a convenient quote from Lewis Carroll. She had a poisoned razor in her mouth and she cuts Batwoman with it. After a couple of wonderfully drawn panty and ass shots, we see what they were talking about in the last issue come into effect- Alice grabs Batwoman's hair and pulls off the extensions before Batwoman can get away. Having been drugged, she plays out something from her past around her. From what I gathered, her family was attacked by terrorists and her mom was shot. She also sees Renee. Kate's dad checks her vitals from his computer and goes to rescue her. Alice shows that she is actually murderous and crazy and not just eye-candy by killing a few of her devotees, then chases after Batwoman. Then those monster men from 52 arrive.

I liked this one a lot better than last week.

Tairu on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Is Doctor Doom gonna have to choke a bitch?"

I haven't kept up with Ghost Rider since the future spirits of Vengeance visited Sister Sara; what's going on with it?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    "Is Doctor Doom gonna have to choke a bitch?"

I haven't kept up with Ghost Rider since the future spirits of Vengeance visited Sister Sara; what's going on with it?

not much, i think there have only been 2 issues out since. dan ketch is GR again with a rockin' fields of the nephilim style duster and a hook on a chain and blaze is also GR and had to take out tzimisce sailor moon for some odd reason.

manji on
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    snip

I like how
    Stupid ass batman is the only one that isn't almost dead. I feel like it's commentary.

Somewhere there is an entire message board devoted to ways Batman has already figured out how to beat Doom.

And they are wrong.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It is a great piece of art.

If only someone puts in a word balloon of Doom calling WW "a fat cow with a whore's tongue" or something like in Mighty Avengers it would be spot on.

Byrne threw a bitch fit when that issue came out and wrote and drew his own page in how Doom would "really sound".

Bloods End on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my moment was a grown man my age actually saying to me about Thunderbolts #134 "Dude. Nick Fury has balls of solid fucking adamantium."

Though the last page was balls.

EDIT: Oh, shit. I just thought of something awesome now that I saw a reference to the Tbolts/Deadpool crossover:
    Cap vs. Deadpool to the death.

Winner gets Black Widow.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Two belated MotWs for me; finally getting the Ultimates Omnibus, and reading the second Jason Aaron Ghost Rider trade. Can that man do anything wrong?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Can that man do anything wrong?

162601-18957-112412-1-ripclaw-pilot-season_super.jpg

Hensler on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did that book not deliver on the promise of a rippin' good time?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    snip

I like how

Somewhere there is an entire message board devoted to ways Batman has already figured out how to beat Doom.

And they are wrong.

Because Doom is only defeated because it suits his plans. And even the Batman can't prepare for a man who SPEAKS IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You know, I was wondering about that Ripclaw book when I saw it in his bibliography. Not good huh? Oh well, it was only a one-shot.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Aaron's going to be writing Punisher MAX soon!

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Aaron's going to be writing Punisher MAX soon!

With Steve Dillon on art. It will be glorious.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No it won't, Dillon's people are all ugly as hell

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought that said RRClaw, and had no fucking idea what was going on.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My MOTW was Detective Comics, simply because J.H. Williams has given Batwoman such a glorious posterior, they should make posters. The story? Well, I'll give it time.

KidDork on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You know, I was wondering about that Ripclaw book when I saw it in his bibliography. Not good huh? Oh well, it was only a one-shot.

Not really, it was definitely the weakest of that wave of Pilot Season. I have it because I'm a purist when it comes to Top Cow and Wildstorm, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Hensler on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Not really, it was definitely the weakest of that wave of Pilot Season. I have it because I'm a purist when it comes to Top Cow and Wildstorm, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I've only seen Ripclaw in this particular terrible crossover book, but I have to say that he is like if Pitt fucked Wolverine and then they decided that they wouldn't name the baby after either of them because their names just weren't stupid enough.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I accumulated a vast horde of Cyberforce, and various spin-offs, as a teen. So I still have a weird affinity for the characters, specifically Ripclaw, Stryker, and Velocity. Ripclaw, when he was done well, was basically an inverse Wolverine; a very chill, relaxed drifter with big claws and a mysterious origin.

I really need to go back and read that old stuff just to see how bad it really is.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    So I still have a weird affinity for the characters, specifically Ripclaw, Stryker, and Velocity..

Man, Heatwave never gets any love.

Hensler on