As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic Thread for July 31st of 2009

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thank god they didn't outsource this one.
    Can we not fucking do this?

TheySlashThem on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    motherFUCKER

Projeck on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tycho wrote:
    If @cwgabriel and @TychoBrahe aren't planning to turn Automata into an old school adventure game I will be deeply hurt.
    Huh! Now, there's a thought.

Great job giving them ideas, so that we may never get PAA Ep3.
    I would totally buy the Automata game

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When the robot talks, I hear David Hyde Pierce's voice.

Is that weird?

FortyTwo on
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    el_vicio wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'd buy an Automata graphic novel so hard it would make the bookstore clerk uncomfortable.

oh hells yeah

jmcdonald on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fisto! wrote: »
    I cannot wait to see what Carl can do.

that is to say I want to see him kick some ass

I would like to think that he can't really do anything that a normal human can't.

Both for legal reasons-- we know that robot arms have a maximum allowable strength-- but also for thematic reasons. People are afraid of robots, when all they are in this case is metal men. No more extraordinary than anyone else.

What I don't want is for him to suddenly sprout an arm cannon or rocket legs or something.

Jimothy on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I agree with that, Jimothy. Slight superiority would be fine, but I'd like to see it go no further. Of course, a robot could be super-powerful with illegally-high grip strength and retarded arm cannons and rocket legs and shit, but Carl wouldn't have that stuff.

At least, unless he were turned into an action character who needed to go outside the law in order to preserve the law or whatever, and probably only after throwing his robo-badge at the chief and being kicked off the case, I mean, if we're gonna go that far into stereotype. That was one sentence right there. Damn.

Defender on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    yeah, it would be anti climactic if Carl was some super badass

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Carl is supposed to be a "stenophone" anyway

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is the op supposed to drive me crazy trying to figure out what the difference is between the two versions?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Look closely at panel four

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    You can only see it if you are stroking my penis gently at the time, though.

Defender on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited August 2009
    Says the guy who obviously wasn't properly fondling my junk.

Defender on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I will never fondle your junk.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited August 2009
    And that's why you can't see how panel four is improved. I didn't see it until I started to fondle my own junk, but now I do and it's awesome.

Defender on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FortyTwo wrote: »

Is that weird?

Quite natural actually

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FortyTwo wrote: »

Is that weird?

Quite natural actually

I hear David Hyde Pierce's voice when anyone talks.

It's a condition more common than you might think.

KalTorak on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE

not only is there no difference

they are literally the exact same image from the same URL

Raneados on
  • Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seriously though this is tits.

<3

Darkness Mundus on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    And that's why you can't see how panel four is improved. I didn't see it until I started to fondle my own junk, but now I do and it's awesome.

it... it is all so clear now. defender, your junk is a miracle!

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Carl is probably not designed with combat in mind, but let's face it. A metal man is almost by definition more extraordinary than a man. His strength may not be designed to be much more than a human, but simply being made of metal would give him an advantage.

That being said, it would be crappy if he turned into some action hero.

Cilla Black on
    edited August 2009
    Belruel wrote: »

it... it is all so clear now. defender, your junk is a miracle!

Yay for bee/robot peoples! <3

Defender on
    edited August 2009
    Carl is probably not designed with combat in mind, but let's face it. A metal man is almost by definition more extraordinary than a man. His strength may not be designed to be much more than a human, but simply being made of metal would give him an advantage.

That being said, it would be crappy if he turned into some action hero.

Yeah I would say if he can move as fast as a human, then he is at the minimum hitting you as hard as a guy in metal armor. If he's heavier than a human (because of all the metal?) then he is hitting you many times harder because of his sheer mass, and you hitting him is going to hurt your hands or feet or whatever. Definitely a case for judo or weapons. Maybe one of those demagnetizers. I wonder how shielded he is from that kind of stuff? Assuming he's electronic and not some other kind of futuristic thing, like...light energy or nuclear whatsits or something.

Defender on
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    their conversation was some pretty classy exposition

Skull Man on
    edited August 2009
    Okay, but remember this?
    20090612.jpg

He nearly got his ass kicked by the skinny cop. Any retaliation would lead to him being destroyed for scrap, most likely.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    that doesn't look like somebody nearly getting their ass kicked

exist on
    UmPiq.png
    edited August 2009
    yeah, that was Carl choosing not to retaliate because he knew it wasn't worth it

of because his programming doesn't allow it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2009
    yeah, the first law of robotics and all that

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited August 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    yeah, the first law of robotics and all that
    not they necessarily apply

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2009
    no of course not, but i wouldn't be surprised if some general equivalent did. in fact i would be very surprised if there wasn't some such programming

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't understand this at all

are the robots talking to eachother? I really can't tell

this guest artist sucks

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2009
    I like how they have something in the background of both comics that indicates what I'm going to continue to call "institutionalized racism" against the Swangee Men.

Defender on
    edited August 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    yeah, that was Carl choosing not to retaliate because he knew it wasn't worth it

His last line, of course, could easily imply that he'd have had no problems beating the crap out of them. It implies a lot, actually, and is a really fantastic way to end a preview comic. Every bit of text we've seen so far has had depth, but "No. They gave me no trouble." is still my favorite.

Cilla Black on
    edited August 2009
    It's because Swangee man knows his place

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009

His last line, of course, could easily imply that he'd have had no problems beating the crap out of them. It implies a lot, actually, and is a really fantastic way to end a preview comic. Every bit of text we've seen so far has had depth, but "No. They gave me no trouble." is still my favorite.
    yeah, it's a great line open to interpretation
    not saying you're wrong, but to me him saying that comes across more as someone who's subjugated not wanting to make waves
    like a kid might tell his mom that the black eye he has was an accident because he doesn't want to make a big deal out of some bullies beating him up, and possibly making the situation for him worse

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2009

I suspect that it doesn't mean that. It looks to me like cops harassing a racial minority, and the harassed person knows that he can't fight back so he has to swallow his anger and tell himself that it doesn't bother him. It's just the routine. Making him more powerful than the cops, for me, destroys that scene. Then he's just an adult putting up with misbehaved children instead of smacking them.

Defender on
    edited August 2009

I suspect that it doesn't mean that. It looks to me like cops harassing a racial minority, and the harassed person knows that he can't fight back so he has to swallow his anger and tell himself that it doesn't bother him. It's just the routine. Making him more powerful than the cops, for me, destroys that scene. Then he's just an adult putting up with misbehaved children instead of smacking them.
    Well, yes, you could interpret it like that. You can interpret it a lot of ways, which is why it's so excellent. I don't think he's swallowing any anger though, I think it's more of a thing he's long since come to accept, and he genuinely means they weren't any trouble at all.

Cilla Black on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    okay so what is the difference between the original and the fan made interpretation thing

im looking but i dont see anything

Projeck on
    edited August 2009
    fondle defenders junk and look at panel four

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
This discussion has been closed.