As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Annual Post-PAX Party Dinner. THANK YOU ALL FOR AN AMAZING PARTY!

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just a little more housekeeping today. Edited the front page a little more. Checked on the polls.

Yay, registrations! Up to 33 now. I'm not sweating the 50 in any way at all, and the 100 still looks like a possibility.

I PM'd everyone who said they were interested when registration went live. I'll probably do so again two or three weeks before PAX. I want to hit those people again to make sure nobody misses registration, but I don't want to be obnoxious.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was browsing the Taphouses website, and I'd forgotten just how many fucking beers they have.

I need to seriously make a drinking schedule out, there are at least 20 that I've had and love, and at least 30 that I've never even heard of.

I must plan carefully to ensure that I enjoy as many libations as possible, as well as pace it so I don't get too far gone and make an ass of myself.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Seriously, man. As an up-and-coming beer snob, I'm going to need a fucking map to properly take advantage of that selection.

Arco on
  • Options
    DragondevonDragondevon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BUMP

I really only like tequila rose and coconut rum (havent tried it together its 2 drinks)

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Dude, I think he's a zombie."
    "No he's not, he's dead."
    "But he's still walking around."
    "Which makes him one of the walking dead."
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."
    "No, that makes him a zombie."

"You sound like WALL-E having sex with a Speak and Spell"
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    34 registrations! Dunno who the new ones were, but congratulations and welcome! :)

Arco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hey arco you can add one more to the regs my friend tom is coming we just need him to get his pay checks squared away so you can BASICLY count 35.

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Sweet!

Arco on
  • Options
    langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm in. Looking forward to it.

langri on
  • Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Myself and one other are considering this.

As a first time PAX atendee I do have one simple question. Does this party take place after the PAX doors officially close, or will portions of the event still be ongoing durring this time frame? I don't want to miss any of the expo proper if I don't have to.

Kudos on your efforts Arco.

dalituba on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The schedule for PAX isn't on the main site so I don't think we know when it ends just yet but it is normally around 5ish.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tgovipertgoviper Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    :arrow:
    dalituba wrote: »
    ...Does this party take place after the PAX doors officially close, or will portions of the event still be ongoing durring this time frame? I don't want to miss any of the expo proper if I don't have to.

Agreed, for those that have attended previously what was the schedule like on Sunday:?:

p.s. Arco FTW

tgoviper on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tgoviper wrote: »
    :arrow:
    dalituba wrote: »
    ...Does this party take place after the PAX doors officially close, or will portions of the event still be ongoing durring this time frame? I don't want to miss any of the expo proper if I don't have to.

Agreed, for those that have attended previously what was the schedule like on Sunday:?:

p.s. Arco FTW

Basically, sunday is a short day. Some panels in the morning, then the final round of the omegathon. It all concludes around 5 and the expo hall is emptied. You wont miss any of the expo by going to this dinner. Last year on sunday we just went to dinner and got our stuff ready for our flight in the morning.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't blame you, Dalituba.

According to my PAX '08 program, which due to the effects of being submerged in Mt. Dew has hardened to a fossil-like state of preservation, the doors closed at 6:00 last year.

This starts at 7:00.

If this year is the same, I think I'm okay with that. Gives everybody an hour to get to the dinner if they want to be on time. It's cutting it a tad close, so maybe we'll move it to 8:00 if everybody feels strongly about it. We'll see, not a huge deal.

It's not my intention to have this going while PAX is still open. Honestly, PAX > this. I guess we'll see when the schedule comes out, but for now, I feel comfortable answering your question with a "probably not."

PS - thanks! :)

Arco on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nothing important will be happening, just winding down and even that won't overlap likely.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    You can just hand me mine on the train trip up.

this

More of /\

No longer This, as I am catching a flight up instead of taking the train. But I will be joining you guys still for the train back.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm not taking the train back. Booooooooo. ;)

Arco on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nice, we're up to 38 registrants. Although someone put their actual job in the job field. Calling all structural engineers :)

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Make that 40! It appears that interest is picking up.

Remember to vote in the polls for your favorite food and say hello in the thread if you're registered! :)

Arco on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    Make that 40! It appears that interest is picking up.

Remember to vote in the polls for your favorite food and say hello in the thread if you're registered! :)

Awesome! I can't wait. Fun will most certainly be had. I think I will spend Labor Day sleeping. I'm going to need an alarm clock I can set for over 24 hours.

Any updates on a raffle?

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Funny you should mention that!

Cronus has very kindly offered up a sealed copy of Defense Grid as a potential raffle prize. I also have some things I'm willing to offer up, mostly in the way of Warhammer stuff. If we get a few more prizes like that, we could very easily do a raffle. We don't even need tickets - the bracelets are all numbered, so I could just copy down the numbers and cut them into little paper squares.

So if anybody has anything else that they would offer up as a raffle prize, we can get a raffle going. I think it would be a cool thing to do. Just run it by me via PM.

As far as the buffer money goes, I'm leaving that as a buffer. Even though I didn't end up using it for the bracelets thanks to the generosity of ______, had it not been for her I definitely would've had to. I still might mail them out, and the buffer would be used for that. But more than that, I want the vast majority of the funds around in case we need it for emergencies during the party, like replacing something that we break.

If we don't end up using the buffer money (which is very likely), what I'll probably do is buy some cool things with the money and do a raffle on the forums or something. Whatever you guys prefer, really. It's your money, after all.

Arco on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    You can't actually hold a raffle on the forums. Sorry.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh dinner raffle. Yeah, I'm gonna check after work what I have available. I assume any raffle objects should be 'new' or 'like new'?

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    In general I would say so, but there are exceptions. I'm thinking about putting up some painted Warhammer figs. Obviously those aren't new, but I think it's still appropriate.

Also, Moe. Do you mean that there are rules (or whatever) that would prohibit a raffle?

Arco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure you can't hold a raffle on the forums. Something about "forum" and "raffle" just sounds like it's inviting disaster, despite best intentions.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Confoimed.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    10-4, Moe.

Okay. JonXP makes 41 tickets sold.

I think now would be a good time for me to update the OP and tell people that we're going to put a temporary cap on tickets when we hit 60. The Club Room accommodates 60 at maximum. That way if people really want to get in, they can do so.

Once the temporary cap is on, I'm going to add some kind of RSVP ticket to the EventBrite page. If people are interested in coming, they can get this ticket. If we sell 40 of those tickets, I'll get the funds from those people and we'll be set for the Billiards Lounge . I'm not sure if it's going to involve money. I think it would be good if it did. I don't want 40 people to RSVP for the Billiards Lounge, then open up ticket sales and get 20. You know? But obviously I don't want to have to give anybody money back if we don't get 100 people. So, I dunno.

Arco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i know that its a finacial strain on alot of people but im fine with the small room at the same price i mean we still get the same food/drinks a tv to play on and room to hang out and right? basically were just getting a smaller room so its pretty much the same. but i think 100 isnt that farfetched an idea i mean we went up like 10 new people in like what 4-5 days? im sure the closer we get to pax the more we will get. confidance guys confidance (caution is also equally good as in putting a temp cap on tickets, just in case)

Dragondevon on
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."

• Options
    YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm all registered 'n stuff.

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would just make the rsvp tickets cost the same amount as the regular tickets. That would save a lot of head aches if we do reach 100. Refunding shouldn't be too difficult if it comes to that... You would just have to make a date... like say September 1st, when it all shuts down. If we aren't at 100, then tickets 61 through whatever get refunded...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This party dinner just picked up two +1 hats of gaming awesomeness by the names of dalituba and tgoviper.

dalituba on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    A couple raffle suggestions:

Spend the buffer money on extra raffle prizes that are returnable and have the raffle at the end of the night. If we make it to the end of the night without causing monetary damage which is very likely we use the items. Otherwise we don't, the raffle goes with less stuff and then the items are returned.

I'd also say we get raffle tickets. I'll gladly buy them too. That way, if we have more than a few prizes, we can give out 2 or 3 tickets a person. Then people can try to win more than one thing. We can also have a rule that you can't win more than once to make everyone else feel good.

I really hope this raffle comes together. It could be such an awesome piece to a fantastic night. And since it's PAX it would be at the end of a great day at the end of an even better weekend. 8-)

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dalituba and tgoviper makes 44! Welcome aboard! :)

Buying the tickets isn't a concern. It's like $10 for a roll of double-sided tickets. If the raffle will be better with them, I'll buy them. Not an issue at all.

I can definitely see the logic in returnable raffle prizes. My only concern is that I want to have the money available at the dinner. I want to put it in my bank account before I leave for PAX and bring my checkbook, so if anything happens I can say, "I have this covered. Here's a check." That's why the buffer exists. I don't want to get into a situation where it's like, "Well I do have the funds, but I have to return some stuff, can I mail you a check in a week or so?" Likewise, it's not like I'm going to want (or be able) to leave the party, find a Wal-Mart, and return the stuff so I can get the money, you know? That might seem like a silly concern, but as the organizer of this thing and the person ultimately responsible at the end of the night, it's important to me. So while I can appreciate the logic of the returnable gift idea, it's still problematic.

That being said, the raffle does sound like a good idea. And being that at least one of you is vocalizing that you really do want it to come together, I'm going to try and make it come together. We've got a copy of Defense Grid and some Warhammer prizes up for grabs now. Anything that anyone else wants to donate, just say so. I'll investigate other options in the near future.

Arco on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EDIT: (thought this was PRE-PAX Dinner... hurm)

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There are no Walmarts in Seattle from what I've been told.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Last year I managed to find one on the way into town, but it was... a bit of a detour. I think I ended up in... Bellvue was it? I think. But it's a very long story. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is there any issue with refunds through eventbrite?

You need to collect money for the 100 attendance levels, because if you don't have their money they don't count. It's event organization 101. :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    Dalituba and tgoviper makes 44! Welcome aboard! :)

Buying the tickets isn't a concern. It's like $10 for a roll of double-sided tickets. If the raffle will be better with them, I'll buy them. Not an issue at all.

I can definitely see the logic in returnable raffle prizes. My only concern is that I want to have the money available at the dinner. I want to put it in my bank account before I leave for PAX and bring my checkbook, so if anything happens I can say, "I have this covered. Here's a check." That's why the buffer exists. I don't want to get into a situation where it's like, "Well I do have the funds, but I have to return some stuff, can I mail you a check in a week or so?" Likewise, it's not like I'm going to want (or be able) to leave the party, find a Wal-Mart, and return the stuff so I can get the money, you know? That might seem like a silly concern, but as the organizer of this thing and the person ultimately responsible at the end of the night, it's important to me. So while I can appreciate the logic of the returnable gift idea, it's still problematic.

That being said, the raffle does sound like a good idea. And being that at least one of you is vocalizing that you really do want it to come together, I'm going to try and make it come together. We've got a copy of Defense Grid and some Warhammer prizes up for grabs now. Anything that anyone else wants to donate, just say so. I'll investigate other options in the near future.

I figured more that you can pay the money out of your money and then return the prizes when you get home. If that sounds like a good idea, but you're uncomfortable with it, I can do it. Then you just have to buy stuff from a store that is up here as well and has a return policy of a couple of weeks.

But that just makes things more complicated and I don't want anyone to have a shitty time at the dinner. You included Arco, so we can just forget the buying prizes with buffer money idea if you want. Either way this dinner will be awesome.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What you should do is figure out a way to use the buffer money to pay the difference on the big room if the number of people that shows up is 100-x.

Basically figure out the fewest number of people you can have in the big room without paying out of pocket.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, if we got close enough, I would be totally willing to throw in an extra $30 or so to make sure we got the good room.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    What you should do is figure out a way to use the buffer money to pay the difference on the big room if the number of people that shows up is 100-x.

Basically figure out the fewest number of people you can have in the big room without paying out of pocket.

Yeah, that's certainly not a bad idea. If we get that close it would be worth it to use the buffer money for that.

Arco on
This discussion has been closed.