As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Because the last shaman thread was stupid.

• Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well, part of it is Earth Shield, which atleast in the past counted towards the tank's healing, not the caster's. I'm not sure if it does that anymore.

What I hear is that Shaman are a bit behind in Ulduar because there's so much movement and spreading out that it's gimping Chain Heal a bit. Other than that, with Druid HoTs ticking and Paladins spamhealing the tank, it might be hard to land effective heals.

They do bring totems and Heroism/Bloodlust to make up for it, though.

Oh, for sure, I can't stand going an entire raid without heroism. And like I said before, they're definitely a decent healer. I can definitely see the issue with it gimping chain heal. We try to get around that, by usually having them in the group with melee, and focusing on melee healing when possible. However, I've noticed on numerous occasions that they will assign themselves (They are also a raid leader) to be a tank healer, and be unable to keep that tank up on their own. This has happened numerous times in both Ignis, as well as IC.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but shaman are not ideal tank healers, and should not be assigned as a solo tank healer, especially when the other two healers are a druid and a pally, right? The issue here, however, is finding a non-confrontational or accusatory way to tell them I don't think they can handle healing what they obviously think they can.

Dourin on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Currently, Shaman are indeed a bit lackluster (not bad, but not all that good either) in the tank healing department. Next patch when they make Healing Wave talents better, they'll probably work on that department better.

reVerse on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What kind of glyphs would a healing shaman take up? There's a TON of options.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I took Earth Shield and LHW glyphs. Right now I have Water Shield as my third but with the patch I might switch it out for something else.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Earth Shield, Riptide and Lesser Healing Wave. The synergy there is amazing, really.

Senshi on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's basically because we aren't very mobile, and our aoe (chain) heal doesn't quite have the range to bounce around enough and it hit everyone whereas the other group heals are a bit easier to pull off in terms of hitting more people, I suspect is the reason why r.shamans might be lower on the tables than other healers (with the exception of disc priests?).

I suppose a r.shaman could do better on the tables, by snipe healing via riptide and lhw's taking less than 1 sec to cast, but then that's not really that beneficial to the raid.

Having all our heals tied up in the Nature school, in addition to them all requiring cast times, means that if you come across a fight which has a counterspell effect (eg: Ignis has one certainly, and crazy cat lady has one as well), means that if you get hit by such an effect, then there's not alot you can do.

Hopefully with the buff in chain heal next patch, it'll be a bit easier to hit everyone (I think the bounce range is going from 8-12.5 yards isn't it?) , in addition to the fact that the loss in healing per bounce won't be as bad.

You've also got the change with tidal waves increasing the crit of lhw (so ws will obviously proc more) which I reckon will make them competitive tank healers.

Will they catch up to the other healers? I 've honestly not looked that closely at the changes other classes are getting, although penance is getting nerfed, as is the bloom effect from lifebloom I think?

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    It's basically because we aren't very mobile, and our aoe (chain) heal doesn't quite have the range to bounce around enough and it hit everyone whereas the other group heals are a bit easier to pull off in terms of hitting more people, I suspect is the reason why r.shamans might be lower on the tables than other healers (with the exception of disc priests?).

I suppose a r.shaman could do better on the tables, by snipe healing via riptide and lhw's taking less than 1 sec to cast, but then that's not really that beneficial to the raid.

Having all our heals tied up in the Nature school, in addition to them all requiring cast times, means that if you come across a fight which has a counterspell effect (eg: Ignis has one certainly, and crazy cat lady has one as well), means that if you get hit by such an effect, then there's not alot you can do.

Hopefully with the buff in chain heal next patch, it'll be a bit easier to hit everyone (I think the bounce range is going from 8-12.5 yards isn't it?) , in addition to the fact that the loss in healing per bounce won't be as bad.

You've also got the change with tidal waves increasing the crit of lhw (so ws will obviously proc more) which I reckon will make them competitive tank healers.

Will they catch up to the other healers? I 've honestly not looked that closely at the changes other classes are getting, although penance is getting nerfed, as is the bloom effect from lifebloom I think?

Well, as for the heals being tied up in the Nature school, druids have the same problem, so that's definitely not the issue. However, the rest are definitely valid arguments, and clear up a bit of my confusion with the numbers I was seeing.

Also, in reference to the nerf to lifebloom, its really, at least for me, fallen by the wayside since Ulduar released. I used it all the time back in Naxx, but Ulduar just requires much larger heals, and lifebloom just doesn't seem to cut it. I tend to go with rejuv and regrowth for my hots, with the obvious wild growth on melee everytime the cooldown is up, and spam heal using either regrowth or nourish, depending on how fast the heals need to go out (Only about a .5 second difference, but for mimiron plasma blasts, that could mean whether the tank lives or dies).

Dourin on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, Paladins and Priests have their heals tied up in the Holy school, so that's definately not the issue.

Unless if you suck.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know druids have all their heals tied up in the nature school, but a fair bit of those are instants, so even with the threat of a counterspell, on something like Ignis, who not only throws you in the air meaning you can't actually cast, but will lock down your healing school if you're not being careful, a druid can just pretty much throw some hots around to help with the raid damage.

Priests, I suppose have access to more spells they can just instantly cast (well that depends on spec I'm sure).

I'm not saying it's a massive issue or anything, but just trying to explain why a r.shaman might be lower on the healing tables on certain fights, because of certain mechanics.

It's not the sole reason why shamans might be a bit lower than they should be, the point was to be taken in conjunction with the other things I said.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know druids have all their heals tied up in the nature school, but a fair bit of those are instants, so even with the threat of a counterspell, on something like Ignis, who not only throws you in the air meaning you can't actually cast, but will lock down your healing school if you're not being careful, a druid can just pretty much throw some hots around to help with the raid damage.

Priests, I suppose have access to more spells they can just instantly cast (well that depends on spec I'm sure).

I'm not saying it's a massive issue or anything, but just trying to explain why a r.shaman might be lower on the healing tables on certain fights, because of certain mechanics.

It's not the sole reason why shamans might be a bit lower than they should be, the point was to be taken in conjunction with the other things I said.

The fact that druids and priests have more instants is the issue there, not the schools or lockouts involved. No healer class has 2 schools of healing spells, so interrupts affect everyone equally.

captaink on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ignis just seems like a terrible fight for resto shamans in general, although they do make good slag fupa healers.

forty on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the most common Restoration Shaman glyphs you'll see are:

Glyph of Riptide: increase duration by six seconds
    Glyph of Earth Shield: increase amount healed by 20%
    Glyph of Lesser Healing Wave: increase amount healed by 20% if target is affected by Earth Shield
    Glyph of Chain Heal: your Chain Heal hits an additional target

The other glyphs of improved Water Shield, improved Mana Spring, or increase chance of Earthliving landing are a bit weaker.

As I am most often not healing tanks I do not use the Glyph of LHW, picking up the Chain Heal glyph instead.

I feel fairly safe in saying almost all Restoration Shaman should be using Glyph of Earth Shield and Glyph of Riptide. The last glyph would depend on how much you heal tanks in raids or run heroics versus how much you heal raid damage.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    captaink wrote: »

The fact that druids and priests have more instants is the issue there, not the schools or lockouts involved. No healer class has 2 schools of healing spells, so interrupts affect everyone equally.

Yeah, if you're not careful, and get spell locked, that includes instants as well. So if it happens to a druid, they're without heals just as long as a shaman. And even after the spell lock is done, hots aren't what you're going to be going for to get everyone back up to full, anyway.

Not going to lie, though. If you're getting spell locked on Ignis, you're doing it wrong.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dourin wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

Yeah, if you're not careful, and get spell locked, that includes instants as well. So if it happens to a druid, they're without heals just as long as a shaman. And even after the spell lock is done, hots aren't what you're going to be going for to get everyone back up to full, anyway.

Not going to lie, though. If you're getting spell locked on Ignis, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, that's a pay attention issue.

captaink on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, what totem mods do you lot use? I don't like the one that comes with pitbull.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you can wait a week, 3.2 has a new default totem UI.

captaink on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the most common Restoration Shaman glyphs you'll see are:

Glyph of Riptide: increase duration by six seconds
    Glyph of Earth Shield: increase amount healed by 20%
    Glyph of Lesser Healing Wave: increase amount healed by 20% if target is affected by Earth Shield
    Glyph of Chain Heal: your Chain Heal hits an additional target

The other glyphs of improved Water Shield, improved Mana Spring, or increase chance of Earthliving landing are a bit weaker.

As I am most often not healing tanks I do not use the Glyph of LHW, picking up the Chain Heal glyph instead.

I feel fairly safe in saying almost all Restoration Shaman should be using Glyph of Earth Shield and Glyph of Riptide. The last glyph would depend on how much you heal tanks in raids or run heroics versus how much you heal raid damage.

Glyph of Riptide is recommended that strongly? Should give it a shot.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I like using the Flo Totem Bar addon for my shaman totems. Although, as captaink pointed out, they're essentially implementing exactly what FTB does into the WoW UI.

Dourin on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any hints for a level 62 healing shaman.

Finally starting to heal harder outlands dungeons, and find myself oom alot more than I thought I'd be.

Basicially keeping earth shield up on the tank, riptiding the big damage, and filling in where needed with lhw.

Any advise would be awesome. Could just be a gear thing too, Haven't really put much focus on a healing set till now. (am dual spec'd enhancement for questing)

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's almost certainly a gear thing--at 80, I pretty much never run out of mana unless I die.

Senshi on
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gnutson, I've told you before... Stormstrike doesn't heal.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I use bartender4 for my totems and my bars. I set it up so F1-F12 are my totems. My main four go into F1-F4. It works rather well. As far as my shammy goes and not topping the charts. I would say if you are not topping the charts you are doing it wrong.

Laonar on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know I'm a little late to the party about the healing discussion that was going on, but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents.

http://wowwebstats.com/zqx6d3qaac2bm

There is a link to a recent ulduar raid. 2 Shaman 1 Paladin, and then later a Resto druid and Priest. I'm the shaman on top.

http://wowwebstats.com/zqx6d3qaac2bm?s=239753-283881

There is the Kologarn fight. Again I took top healing with least over heals. I'm putting these up here for two reasons, one I want to show how awesome I am, but really I think we can be top raid healers, but it takes a lot of work.

I only got back into raid healing a month ago, and since then I've learned a lot. You really have to balance your heals. Chain heal can be awesome, but for a lot of fights RT->LHW is your best bet. I use mouse over macros now along with Perl unit frames and it has increased my healing and decreased my over heals immensely.

In a raid I run with 340 or so haste, about 30-40% crit, and 600 or mp5 while casting. I really like having a ton of mp5. I don't want to worry about my mana ever. I think this really helps me in the long fights, I don't have to lean on mana tide or hold back. I may switch up some of my gear for haste crit next week to see how it goes, but I cannot stress how nice it is to have a ton of mp5.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodhoof&n=Vraz

There is my armory if you want to check out my gear, it isn't the best by any means and I'm still waiting on a decent mace to drop sometime.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I have a big problem with overheals. In WotLK overhealing is not a big issue like it used to be and is stupid when people get yelled at for it. The exception is paladin tanks specced into certain talents where they get mana backed based on heals. As long as you are not blowing through mana and lasting each fight with out mana problems. Also recount takes HoTs into account even after combat has stopped. That hurts the charts a little as well.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    RedDawn wrote: »
    I know I'm a little late to the party about the healing discussion that was going on, but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents.

http://wowwebstats.com/zqx6d3qaac2bm

There is a link to a recent ulduar raid. 2 Shaman 1 Paladin, and then later a Resto druid and Priest. I'm the shaman on top.

http://wowwebstats.com/zqx6d3qaac2bm?s=239753-283881

There is the Kologarn fight. Again I took top healing with least over heals. I'm putting these up here for two reasons, one I want to show how awesome I am, but really I think we can be top raid healers, but it takes a lot of work.

I only got back into raid healing a month ago, and since then I've learned a lot. You really have to balance your heals. Chain heal can be awesome, but for a lot of fights RT->LHW is your best bet. I use mouse over macros now along with Perl unit frames and it has increased my healing and decreased my over heals immensely.

In a raid I run with 340 or so haste, about 30-40% crit, and 600 or mp5 while casting. I really like having a ton of mp5. I don't want to worry about my mana ever. I think this really helps me in the long fights, I don't have to lean on mana tide or hold back. I may switch up some of my gear for haste crit next week to see how it goes, but I cannot stress how nice it is to have a ton of mp5.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodhoof&n=Vraz

There is my armory if you want to check out my gear, it isn't the best by any means and I'm still waiting on a decent mace to drop sometime.

All of this--all of it--is super-sound advice. Heal smart, don't spam. Overheal = wasted mana. Shammy healing is the healer equivalent of a Green Beret; they can run cross-country all day and still have the energy to break your arm in several places.

As for mouseover macros, etc.: Look into Clique. It is hands down the best healer addon ever.

Senshi on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Finally hit Outland on my Enhance Shammy, and to my dismay the only weapons we get are daggers til Zangarmarsh are daggers..... w-t-f......

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hit honored with Thrallmar, get two axes. They are a little fast, but better than your other options.

I think the alliance version is swords, so you are SOL there.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Finally hit Outland on my Enhance Shammy, and to my dismay the only weapons we get are daggers til Zangarmarsh are daggers..... w-t-f......
    Cheap greens offa the AH. Something of the Falcon or the Bandit. The 2.6 speed will outweigh any DPS boost from a similarly-iLeveled-but-faster blue.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you are just leveling daggers are fine with WF/WF until you get to outlands and get the fist weapon off the boss in nexus and the fist from last rights. I did it and solo'ed almost every elite quest with daggers.

Laonar on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Next patch they are finally offering heirloom maces for enhancement shaman. Might want to look into those.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What about fist weapons?

Edit - Heirlooms that is.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Enchancement does not really have a wide selection of weapons to choose from. It is either maces or fists. Daggers will work but it isnt has powerful. Its just super freaking fast.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fast is bad now that FT is normalized. Which kind of sucks, since the idea of having the WF/FT combo introduced in 3.0 was to give shamans a few more options for their OH.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well I went from 2 2.60 Axes I bought at 50 to daggers at 1.80 and 1.40 respectively and even with malestorm weapon being fully maxed and having more face lightning boltage I effectively lost 50DPS from the change to the daggers. I've been scanning the AH here and there realizing that's really my only shot.

Oh and yea Alliance get swords :(

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    What about fist weapons?

Edit - Heirlooms that is.

Nope. Just Maces for Enhance Shamans

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Laonar wrote: »
    Enchancement does not really have a wide selection of weapons to choose from. It is either maces or fists. Daggers will work but it isnt has powerful. Its just super freaking fast.

Axes are good, if you can ever find them.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There's that one offa Yogg

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yogg as a mace, and there is a trash drop mace as well. Two or three fist weapons from naxx and 1-2 maces. Your choices are limited. Argent tourney also has some maces and axes available. I dont understand why shamans can not use swords though.

Laonar on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought there was an escort quest in Zangarmarsh that rewards you with a 2.6 or 2.8 speed mace. I cannot remember the name of the quest but it starts in the village south of the Cenarion Refuge.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Laonar wrote: »
    Yogg as a mace, and there is a trash drop mace as well. Two or three fist weapons from naxx and 1-2 maces. Your choices are limited. Argent tourney also has some maces and axes available. I dont understand why shamans can not use swords though.

I believe they are partly rectifying the 1h nonsense by giving rogues axe skill - it means we will get more slow axes put in.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
This discussion has been closed.