As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy XI: March 2007 Update (Holy fuck, Square listened! Square listened!)

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I might have to get an adapter - cause. . .this is just. . .weird - its like I havent even used my directional arrows. . .

This game is definitely a departure from WoW. Spend the time I had to play running around trying to figure out what exactly I was supposed to do. WoW has spoiled me. . .

I still dont know what Im to do - something about a Manustery. . .

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    After getting used to the control scheme in FFXI, I find I actually prefer it, and change other game s to match it where I can. Arrow keys are used to "turn your head" in first person mode and move the camera in third person mode.

Red Mage is a pretty powerful and versatal job, but it is one of the more busy ones. They are the undisputed masters of enfeebling magic, and later on you will get a spell called Refresh that is in such high demand among all jobs that can cast spells that you will be required to make extensive use of it.

You will also get an ability called Convert wich will give any White Mage in your party a heart attack every time you use it.

The Manustery is one of the ministries of magic that govern the city of Windurst. Check your maps while you roam around the city and you should find it in short order.

Also, at the start of te game you should be given an adventurer's coupon, and be directed to an NPC to trade it to. If you go to your map and select "markers", then scroll left or right in that sub-menu it will show you a marker on your map where that NPC is located.

Trading that coupon to the appropreate NPC will net you 50 gil. Afterwards, you can roam around the city more if you like, and pick up available quests, or go outside and depopulate the local planslands. If you decide to do the later, make sure you talk to the guys standing next to the city gate on the inside, as one of them will cast an effect on you called Signet. Never go anywhere without Signet.

In fact, write yourself a reminder on that. It is just that important.

Edit: As for Windowed mode, that didn't make it in the last patch, but it is on the way, so I hear. In the meantime, the 3rd party app windower is your only option. HOWEVER; this option is against the EULA, remember the following rules:

Rule number one of the Windower is that you do not talk about the Windower.

Rule number two of the Windower is that you do not talk about the Windower.

The Happy Fun Legal Text:
    DMs can read your game logs, and will talk action against you if they find out you are using the Windower. The logs are modified by the Windower to remove traces of the Windower's precence, but you may still get banned if the DMs see you talking about using it. Please leave the debate about the legality of EULAs out of this thread, and simply bear in mind that when you visit someone's house you are expected to follow thier rules.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just finished playing. I'm on Asura. Got a few levels in and farmed a few stacks of wind crystals. Started out with monk so I'll see how that goes.

Lightor216 on
    edited March 2007
    Im tired as hell, but I figure I can get some time in today - I rolled a Red-Mage lil guy (dont know their names) on Asura. Wish I had brought the manual with me (I actually wish there was an ACTUAL printed manual).

ED! on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    Im tired as hell, but I figure I can get some time in today - I rolled a Red-Mage lil guy (dont know their names) on Asura. Wish I had brought the manual with me (I actually wish there was an ACTUAL printed manual).

There is. My own manual is actually pretty weighty. What version of the game did you get?

Tarutaru

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    doesn't POL more or less have a manual in it too for FFXI? I have the fat manual that came with the game.

You could also just buy a guide, there's usually a mini-manual type thingy in the front that helps, and a lot of other information. Get out of date pretty fast though.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited March 2007
    I got the all in one addition - and the only manual is on a CD - which sucks. . .but whatre ya gonna do I guess.

ED! on
    edited March 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    I got the all in one addition - and the only manual is on a CD - which sucks. . .but whatre ya gonna do I guess.

I prescribe a dose of ffxiclopedia. Call me in the morning.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Awesome to see all these people on Asura. I've got a level 7 BLM there. Already hooked up with meatflower. Maybe we should try to get a linkshell going for PA people. PM me your character names and I'll add you when I'm online.

Any American night owls out there? I'm living in Korea right now, so I'm currently 13 hours ahead of EST. A good friend of mine IRL has a 75 PLD there and works afternoons, so it works out really well for me. He's usually on all night.

Varega: I tried a character search using POL but I couldn't find you. Are you still on Asura?

Last night I dug out my USB controller and set up FFXI using it. To all you PC people out there, it made a world of difference. If you have the means to play this way, I highly recommend it. It felt like a different game.

My controller is a Korean brand, and it acts a little wonky. It's set up sort of like a PS2 controller, but next to the four main buttons it also has two additional buttons. I know how I'd like to set up the controller ideally, but the quirks prevent it from happening.

I'd like to map the menu selection to the d-pad, movement to the left analog stick, and camera movement to the right analog stick. However, as I was playing around with the testing utility, the game doesn't differentiate between the d-pad and the left analog stick. Also, for some reason each of the four main directions on the right analog stick correspond to the four main buttons. Instead of square, circle, triangle, cross, I have 1, 2, 3, and 4. Pressing left on the right analog stick is the same as pressing button 1, pressing up corresponds to button 2, etc.

I played around with different configs trying to get my ideal setup to work, but to no avail. I ended up setting it up so I have to hold down a button to activate camera controls, and a different one for menu controls. It's not as fluid as I'd like it, but it's still a lot better than the keyboard, at least for me.

I noticed that WoW gave me bad habits, and FFXI punishes me for them. I tend to chat on YM, sometimes using voice as well. I tend to stop paying attention to FFXI while doing this, and last night I must have died ten times while afk. I lost all the XP I earned for the last two hours I was on last night because of this. Usually in WoW if I come back and something is beating on me, I can run away or incapacitate the mob somehow. When I draw beastman aggro while AFK and come back to 15 HP, I'm screwed.

langfor6 on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I played around with different configs trying to get my ideal setup to work, but to no avail. I ended up setting it up so I have to hold down a button to activate camera controls, and a different one for menu controls. It's not as fluid as I'd like it, but it's still a lot better than the keyboard, at least for me.

There's actually a way to get it to work the way you describe. Took me a while to figure out but it's quite simple.

In the gamepad configuration tool you will see "Predefined Setups" in the lower right hand corner. The first one "Default Setup" assumes you have a controller with only one analog stick, the second one "Alternate Setup A" assumes you have a controller with two analogs sticks.

Hit "Alternate Setup A" and then configure the buttons as you like. When you load up the game you'll find that you can control movement and the camera at the same time. And menu's with the d-pad.

I'm using an Xbox Type-S controller with a cable I made. The xbox (1) controllers were merely USB with a proprietary connector. Chop off the connector and match the wires to a male USB connector's wires, solder em together and voila!

Also there's a handy piece of software called XBCD which provides a Windows driver and configuration tool. Everything works including force feedback, which I was surprised to learn FFXI supports.

I've setup my controls almost analogous to the PS2's controls and it's great.

Only problem is when you get a tell, but as stated...you can't really fight and chat at the same time anyway. You'll just end up levelling down.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, does this game have free trials ever? I guess not, since it's also a console game...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited March 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    So, does this game have free trials ever? I guess not, since it's also a console game...

No, it doesn't.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bet most of this crap has been answered already, but I'm going to ask anyway, as WoW has really gotten me down lately and I am thinking of coming back.

1. How hard is it to make money? Back in the day I had made millions of gil to get the "required" gear by farming, but it took forever to aquire all that money. Is making cash now as hard as it used to be? Are the economies still as borked (6 mill for a scorp harness) as it used to be?

2. How hard is it to get parties if you aren't one of the chosen ones (nin, pld, whm, blm, rdm, brd). Have they evenned out the game balance where any oneof the mook dps classes could relatively easiilly get parties or is there still the blatant hierarchy (rng > drk > mnk > war > whatever). How are the new classes? I guess what I'm really asking here is, how has game balance changed in the2 years I've been away.

3. I know they've made some improvements to solo play (and are making some in this update obviously) but just how viable is it? I'm not looking for wow level soloability here, not at all. But if I play some mook samurai mcgetsnoparty, will I be stuck in jeuno bored while i look for a party or can I run off to somewhere and solo with semi-ease? I am currently defining ease as meaning with relatively little down time. I remember I would take my mnk in the 60's off to kill EP crawlers out in rolanberry I think, and I would be looking at 7 minutes of downtime healing back up again, even with chakra. This question is obviously fairly class dependent, but let's assume I'm a melee character with, i dunno, whm sub (just to solo, I know that sub would be worthless in a group) or something for a little healing power. How much downtime should I expect?

4. Tradeskills. I don't want to say they were worthless per se, but they were retardedly expensive to level up and turned virtually no profit. is that still true?

5. Is the endgame still total bullshit? I specifically am referring to HNM/dynamis here. There still that retarded claim glitch?

6. Oh and lastly, is there a bundle of the game plus all the expansions I could pick up? When I quit I left the account in the hands of a friend of mine and he eventually sold it -_-.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited March 2007
    meatflower wrote: »

There's actually a way to get it to work the way you describe. Took me a while to figure out but it's quite simple.

In the gamepad configuration tool you will see "Predefined Setups" in the lower right hand corner. The first one "Default Setup" assumes you have a controller with only one analog stick, the second one "Alternate Setup A" assumes you have a controller with two analogs sticks.

Hit "Alternate Setup A" and then configure the buttons as you like. When you load up the game you'll find that you can control movement and the camera at the same time. And menu's with the d-pad.

I'm using an Xbox Type-S controller with a cable I made. The xbox (1) controllers were merely USB with a proprietary connector. Chop off the connector and match the wires to a male USB connector's wires, solder em together and voila!

Also there's a handy piece of software called XBCD which provides a Windows driver and configuration tool. Everything works including force feedback, which I was surprised to learn FFXI supports.

Only problem is when you get a tell, but as stated...you can't really fight and chat at the same time anyway. You'll just end up levelling down.

I actually tried that, but for some reason my particular controller has the buttons mapped to the right analog stick. The manual and the CD that came with it are both in Korean, as is the company's website. I'll live; it's not that bad.

langfor6 on
    edited March 2007

I actually tried that, but for some reason my particular controller has the buttons mapped to the right analog stick. The manual and the CD that came with it are both in Korean, as is the company's website. I'll live; it's not that bad.

Can't you just map them to whatever you want? Try Joy2Key if the configuration tool doesn't work.

edit:

And where was everyone on Asura tonight? Was on from 10pm to about 30 minute ago (4:00 AM) PST. Didn't see a single PA soul.

edit2:

In other news I got my WHM Hume to level 9. Almost time to Dune it up! I've heard that I shouldn't even go until 11 so I have Cure II? Yes or no?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yea, sorry guys, I had to reroll, because apparently during that last update, the servers borked my guy. Logged in, said I didn't exist, and logged me back out. I rerolled on asura again, though i'm only level 5 now.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
    edited March 2007
    That sucks man. Is your name still Varega in game?

Note to OP: Could we get a roster going?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yea, My name is back, do a friend search for Varega.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ZOMG it's Ark...This is Ulairi ^^
    1. How hard is it to make money? Back in the day I had made millions of gil to get the "required" gear by farming, but it took forever to aquire all that money. Is making cash now as hard as it used to be? Are the economies still as borked (6 mill for a scorp harness) as it used to be?

The price on a lot of stuff has dropped. You're still going to have to farm of course but it's nowhere near how it used to be.
    2. How hard is it to get parties if you aren't one of the chosen ones (nin, pld, whm, blm, rdm, brd). Have they evenned out the game balance where any oneof the mook dps classes could relatively easiilly get parties or is there still the blatant hierarchy (rng > drk > mnk > war > whatever). How are the new classes? I guess what I'm really asking here is, how has game balance changed in the2 years I've been away.

Honestly once you hit 70+ all the pt's I were in were TP Burns. If you had a MP pool you were looked at just slowing us down. RNG has been gimped since you left. In my heyday before I sold most my WAR gear I could out parse almost any RNG I played with.
    3. I know they've made some improvements to solo play (and are making some in this update obviously) but just how viable is it? I'm not looking for wow level soloability here, not at all. But if I play some mook samurai mcgetsnoparty, will I be stuck in jeuno bored while i look for a party or can I run off to somewhere and solo with semi-ease? I am currently defining ease as meaning with relatively little down time. I remember I would take my mnk in the 60's off to kill EP crawlers out in rolanberry I think, and I would be looking at 7 minutes of downtime healing back up again, even with chakra. This question is obviously fairly class dependent, but let's assume I'm a melee character with, i dunno, whm sub (just to solo, I know that sub would be worthless in a group) or something for a little healing power. How much downtime should I expect?

This I honestly don't know about since I hardly ever solo. I know we do have EXP rings now that allow you a large exp increase per kill for a limited time.
    4. Tradeskills. I don't want to say they were worthless per se, but they were retardedly expensive to level up and turned virtually no profit. is that still true?

This is still kinda true, most skils wont see any large profit turn till your like 50 60 plus.
    5. Is the endgame still total bullshit? I specifically am referring to HNM/dynamis here. There still that retarded claim glitch?

Claim is better but as far as the politics etc go just depends on your HNM shell. I had a really good one when I left and when I came back I had a shitty one.
    6. Oh and lastly, is there a bundle of the game plus all the expansions I could pick up? When I quit I left the account in the hands of a friend of mine and he eventually sold it -_-.

Try logging in and see what happens after it got sold I was still able to log into it.

King Kong on
    edited March 2007
    Arkady wrote: »

This is entirely dependant on your job and support job. Some jobs can't solo at all, some can with the right subjob, and some job/support job combinations excell at it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2007
    I played for about an hour last night. . .mostly running around trying to find people to get quest from. . .I found one - the guy with the Salt Crystals. Now I need to find some gloves to carry them in? Still getting familiar with the mouse movement, and the various commands. I dont want to say its counter-intuitive, because its not. . .for a console game - heh.

But am I missing something in not knowing what spells do? I dont mean going to ffxi-epedia. . .are there tool-tips in this thing?

ED! on
    edited March 2007
    Yeah.

Well, ok; I haven't played in 8 months, but I know that when you examine a scroll prior to using it there's a small tooltip. It's nothing as detailed as WoW or anything, but it gives you enough information.

After you've used the scroll I imagine there's a tooltip, try going over the spells from the menu and look around to see if anything pops up, probably over your target box in the lower right.

If not, here's the rundown on a few of the less descriptive spells:
    Bind - does exactly that. roots the mob, great for escaping.
    Dia - DEF debuff with a decient DoT, throw Dia, Blind, Poison/paralyze at the top of every fight when you're a caster and your life will be much easier. Also helps in parties for high DEF mobs like crabs to use this and keep it up.
    Gravity - lowers the movement speed of a mob. Sadly not as cool as other FF gravitys where it does a %hp damage.
    Rasp - DoT on MP instead of HP. Bane of all casters everywhere.
    Choke - DoT and lowers VIT
    Drown - DoT and lowers STR
    Bio - DoT and lowers ATT
    Aspir - MP drain
    Tractor - umm...odd; just brings a dead party member closer to you so you can Raise them easier.
    Banish - Light Elemental "nuke"
    <SPELL>ga - anything with -ga is the same as the basic spell just in an AOE, careful with these it's easy to grab adds if you're not careful
    <SPELL>na - Any spell with a -na suffix is a heal for that type of spell. Poisona Paralyna etc.

The rest of the spells are more or less self explanatory.

EDIT: Not covering BLU or BRD; by the time you have access to those classes you'll have a decent idea of what many of their skills do; and you'll probably want to read up on many guides to know how to be party friendly with them and how to get skills as BLU.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    P.S. who the hell thought it was a good idea to put the full forum descriptions on the forum front page; makes the whole damn thing huge and spread out.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    So what level to go to the dunes as a WHM? I know 9-10 is standard but should I wait till 11 for Cure II?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sorry to say, but, Cure 1 is really...REALLY useless in the dunes. Just get to 11 and get cure 2, your group will love you for it.

Transporter on
    edited March 2007
    that's not entirely true. All you'll be doing at 10 is lizards anyway and assuming your team isn't retards, it works well enough.

Sometimes whm's just spam Cure 2 and go OOM so fast its stupid, and/or pull too much aggro. Good use of both is suggested. By the high teens though you wont really be using Cure, it caps out at a pretty low HP.

As a general rule casters, particluarly blm and whm can head to places a level or so earlier than other classes.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    Pay paticular attention to the elemental afinities of those DoTs Kingshand just listed. Each of them cancels one of the others, and is likewise canceled by one of the others.

Light <--> Dark
    (Bio <--> Dia)

Earth > Lightning > Water > Fire > Ice > Wind > Earth
    (Rasp > Shock > Drown > Burn > Frost > Choke > Rasp)

You cannot use Bio and Dia together on the same target, only the last one you cast will be effective.

You can cast Rasp, Drown, and Frost on a target.
    You can cast Choke, Shock and Burn on a target.

If you cast Rasp on a target, and then cast Choke then the Rasp will be negated.

Cure I caps at about 30 HP. Cure II caps out at about 90. This will vary slightly depending on your casting skill and Mind stat. Black MAges can keep adding INT for higher damage on thier spells, but the same is not as true for White MAges and Mind. The trick is to add enough in mind gear to cap your Cure spells, and then concentrate on +MP. Cure II will be your mainstay for a good looong time.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ThaoxThaox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a huge FF fan and have played everything BUT XI. They just never seem to offer a free trial so I can see if I like it or not : /

Thaox on
    edited March 2007

Can't you just map them to whatever you want? Try Joy2Key if the configuration tool doesn't work.

edit:

And where was everyone on Asura tonight? Was on from 10pm to about 30 minute ago (4:00 AM) PST. Didn't see a single PA soul.

edit2:

In other news I got my WHM Hume to level 9. Almost time to Dune it up! I've heard that I shouldn't even go until 11 so I have Cure II? Yes or no?

The controller actually came with a Korean version of Joy2Key, but I can't read hangul.

I'll try it out. Thanks.

langfor6 on
  • tiankuitiankui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't say tradeskills are totally worthless. You just have to do some research and follow the market to see what's worth leveling on. Cooking and alchemy are pretty decent to start with. Less to invest in. I've leveled both to 60 while making an overall profit. I also tend to level most of the crafts at the same time since it give me more options (i.e leveling smithing to about 25 so that I level up on bolt heads in alchemy, then leveling up wood working to 16 so that I can make bolts to sell or use with my thief and warrior.)

I mainly didnt go into it looking for hugh profits but I like that I don't have to depend on the ah to get overprices goods. And it's nice that i can invest a little time to convert the things I farm into more useful/profitable items.

www.ffxiah.com is a good place to see the market trends in jeuno. They even do a cost analysis. It's not perfect but it can give you an idea. They recently added npc vendors to the list too. Mules help a lot since prices can vary in different starting cities due the different crafting guilds. http://ffxi.lokyst.net/timer/crafttimer.html is useful to help you know when to craft to skill up. You may wanna read up on the effects of the day and direction to get a better idea.

I think the biggest piece of advice I can give is to multitask. While waiting for an invite or if I only got 30 minutes to play, i'll farm easy mobs, craft or fish while playing a turn based DS/gba game, or checking out random websites.

tiankui on
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use to play this back during release but quit due to RL commitments, had an Elvaan Monk...been dabbling in a bunch of MMOs to see which one grabs me. EQ2 did for a bit, WOW TBC did for a bit, CoV did for a bit...but they all didnt really make me want to stay.

What are the good class/sub class combos now? I think i was Monk/THF back then.

Aretè on
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    My current favorite is BST/WHM for soloing but it also is great for PTs after lvl 23 because of the Jug Pets. Did a pt with 4 BST/WHM all w/jug pets a DRG/WAR and a WHM/BLM, it was a awsome PT. As far as other combos, MNK/WAR always present, THF/NIN or even one I am still not to sure on BLU/NIN (it keeps popping up everywhere).

Casper on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aretè wrote: »
    What are the good class/sub class combos now? I think i was Monk/THF back then.
    Forums for the main job of your choice will have detailed FAQs on recommended subjobs, and which subjobs you should never touch, ever, ever. Warning: Allakhazam's forums are notorious for having the most retarded userbase on the Internet; Allakhazam is mocked on GameFAQs! Tuppin' 'ell! Read the sticky posts, and the sticky posts alone. Venture outside them at your own risk.
    tiankui wrote: »
    http://ffxi.lokyst.net/timer/crafttimer.html is useful to help you know when to craft to skill up. You may wanna read up on the effects of the day and direction to get a better idea.
    It's worth noting that such "crafting compasses" and high-quality synthesis theories are utter bullshit. Not one person, or group of persons, has ever truly tested these theories. Rather, everyone adheres to these rules because they were told them by a friend, who was told by his friend, who in turn was told by a group of total strangers on a forum, who found it on some webpage, which was put together by a vagrant crafter for a laugh. The only test I know of that was even close to having a fair sample size (300 for every tested variable) was in a Japanese magazine of some sort, and the only conclusion was that the weather in your Mog House affected success rates, marginally, when crafting in your Mog House.

Put no faith in that shit. Craft whenever you want.

The only theory that has been proven, many times over, is Synthesis Tiers. This regards your probability of getting a high-quality synthesis (+1 and beyond). If your crafting skill is below 11 points above the level of the synthesis, you are in Tier 0. If your crafting skill is greater or equal to 11 points above the level of the synthesis, you are in Tier 1. If your crafting skill is greater or equal to 31 points above the level of the synthesis, you are in Tier 2. If your crafting skill is greater or equal to 51 points above the level of the synthesis, you are in Tier 3.

Each Tier you go up, your high-quality rate increases. The high-quality rate for each synthesis is different, but as a rule in Tier 0 you have perhaps a 1% chance of high-quality synthesis, and in Tier 2 your odds are noticably increased, say between 10-15% chance.

Mumblyfish on
    edited March 2007
    Not to be that guy but in past Q and A sessions the devs themselves have hinted at multiple times that both weather and direction could affect synth outcomes.

Weather, moon phase etc affect a lot more than people think.

King Kong on
    edited March 2007
    I never really bothered with crafting in FFXI, but I'll be totally honest and say that it makes sense that weather/moon would effect your crafting. Crafting is elemental based, and virtually everything else elemental based in FFXI is connected to the moon/weather so why not crafting?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    Weather in the mog house? There is no weather in city zones, so how could there be weather in your mog house?

Edit: I have only gone to the job boards in Ala to check recomended equipment oppinion stickie threads. For job information I stick to ffxiclopedia.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    King Kong wrote: »
    Not to be that guy but in past Q and A sessions the devs themselves have hinted at multiple times that both weather and direction could affect synth outcomes.
    Transcript or it didn't happen. All I've read (from interviews as recent as this month) are representatives of the development team dancing around the question and proclaiming crafting is more interesting if it's all a big mystery.
    KingsHand wrote: »
    I never really bothered with crafting in FFXI, but I'll be totally honest and say that it makes sense that weather/moon would effect your crafting. Crafting is elemental based, and virtually everything else elemental based in FFXI is connected to the moon/weather so why not crafting?
    If it is connected, the difference is so absolutely minute that it's not worth considering. So small that tests averaging hundreds of syntheses show no appreciable difference in results. If synthesis is connected to days, directions, or strength of the Euro, the bonuses to be derived from crafting on the correct day, direction and moon phase are so impossibly small that no sane man would consider working their schedule around Vana'diel time.
    Weather in the mog house? There is no weather in city zones, so how could there be weather in your mog house?
    Furniture has elemental attributes. These, in turn, provide a weather effect for your Mog House. Talk to your Moogle to learn of your current Mog House weather, if it has one.

"Your Mog House is aglow with faint fire energy, Kupo!", for example, means that your Mog House has fire weather.

Mumblyfish on
  • tiankuitiankui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Your right about the the HQ and the tiers being the main factor but i was talking about skilling up.

In my experience the day is pretty significant (light/dark and the element for and against your crystal). Moon phase is pretty subtle for crafting but it's pretty noticeable while fishing (new/full vs half). (or I'm really unlucky and the last few times I've gone fishing during a half moon, some jack ass rmt decided to fish up my spot). Direction is probably placebo, i've honestly haven't really noticed a big difference.

I may be wrong, so sorry if I'm spreading misinformation but from what I notice it seems to help. I got nothing (as far as real hard data goes). Some anecdotal examples but that isn't worth much.

From what I remember reading all that moghancements do is help with less breaking and loss of items.

tiankui on
    edited March 2007
    Moon phase plays large part in both gardening and fishing.

King Kong on
    edited March 2007
    Well I finally got 11 earlier today on my WHM. Grabbed Cure II, some Ginger Cookies, and headed off to the dunes. On xp party later and a couple hundred xp from 14. Unfortunately my group was pl'd by a 60 WHM the entire time so I never really had to heal. Seems like a good thing but at the same time I kind of wish I had gotten some experience healing since this was my first time grouping in the game. I got in a little though while the 60 WHM was resting but that wasn't often considering how little mana Cure II and III were costing them to cast.

Basically spent the whole time casting Dia, Paralyze, and Banish with the occasional Protectra. Got my divine and enfeebling up a good bit on the plus side.

I also learned never to mention future job plans...everybody's got their own opinions which they believe are the only ones that are valid.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg