As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The tracks I've heard so far make me realize that these guys know how to do better remix CDs than OCRemix. FFIV's recent remix album comes to mind...

zing

NickTheNewbie on
  • Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't really get that Magus track.

It kinda comes off as something you'd hear in Magus' castle if his castle was a dentist's office.

The black drill begins to blow?

Give it your best shot, if you're prepared for the cavities?

Grim Squeaker on
    edited July 2009
    You might be right about that track, but it fits surprisingly well with many of the other tracks on the album that chose to use that instrumentation. If you can't stand anything but rock, go for the tracks by danimal cannon and ailsean.

My musical tastes are quite varied, but some things are more appropriate than others.

Well, I've listened to the other previews.

It may fit well with other tracks but the whole album is a mix of light music, rock, synthesizer and even a touch of metal. Why they have chosen Magus theme for a lounge theme I'll never know.

And on the other side, I don't know why they've chosen for a rock ballad for the Zeal theme. Zeal is a mysterious city that seems perfect and serene, but you feel that under the surface that something is wrong and if you step one foot out of line you're in big trouble. The original music portrays this spendidly, but guitar riffs are not the way to convey that.

Some of the songs are decent, but overall I'm not impressed. Add the fact that a lot of tracks are missing that I would consider important, I've seen this done better from other efforts. The original 16bit-music is better than this remix I'd argue.

Grim Squeaker on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In fairness, the 16-bit soundtrack is really awesome.

I'm not a huge fan of Chrono Symphonic (the OC remix CT album), but it did at least produce a decent orchestral rendering of the 600 AD theme.

I just listened to their "Fight With Magus" remake and it's not so hot, either. That's the best battle theme in the game, you'd think it'd be easier to cover...

ASimPerson on
    edited July 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    In fairness, the 16-bit soundtrack is really awesome.

I'm not a huge fan of Chrono Symphonic (the OC remix CT album), but it did at least produce a decent orchestral rendering of the 600 AD theme.

I just listened to their "Fight With Magus" remake and it's not so hot, either. That's the best battle theme in the game, you'd think it'd be easier to cover...

The original soundtrack is still one of the best video game soundtracks, so yeah, that's hard to beat.

I find the OC Remix decent. Some songs they do pretty well, others not so (including the Magus theme and some others of my favourites).

Grim Squeaker on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason, I always found Lavos to be a very intriguing foe. He somehow manages to fulfill the role as the bad guy, but without making me hate him, which is intersting because he never really talks to the party. He also somehow seems all powerful and that Crono and the gang were lucky to kill him.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason, I always found Lavos to be a very intriguing foe. He somehow manages to fulfill the role as the bad guy, but without making me hate him, which is intersting because he never really talks to the party. He also somehow seems all powerful and that Crono and the gang were lucky to kill him.

I think it's because he's pretty present/you can see his influence throughout the whole game
    65,000,000 B.C. He's the red star, and then crashes into the planet
    12,000 B.C. Black Omen/Zeal
    600 A.D. Magus summoning
    2300 A.D, The world has already been essentially destroyed because of him

Zerokku on
    edited July 2009
    That's the other thing I liked about him. He (it?) had already won, but that just ties into the rest of why I love this game. It gave me a fun story with all the time travel.

One of my top villians of all time.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well. I just defeated the Dream devourer for the first time, I used Chrono, Frog and Magus for it. You know, I wonder, since if Magus is on your team, you actually see a second Magus show up in the fight, could this be an implacation that Chrono cross takes place in an alternate dimension?

I wouldn't mind this, as i'm certain that the writers had no diea what they were doing when they put together CC's story. Turning it from a fun time travel adventure into a screed about environmentalism, and trying to make the first game retroactively darker and edgier. I didn't mind that much when I first played it, but after playing the DS remake, it just upsets me. That game could have been great, but the lack of original personnel just did it in for me.

Matthew on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Currently playing through this for the first time. Gamestop was having their buy 2 get 1 free thing, and I just saw it there. Taunting.

My only complaint so far is that there doesn't seem to be anything like a quest log or the like. Normally I would think that this is pretty cool, but if you get away from the game for a few days it really gets annoying... "What was I doing again?.....shit." Wouldn't be an issue if you didn't have a shit ton of stuff to visit (and their past/future duplicates) to try and find your footing.

Foolish Chaos on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Matthew wrote: »
    Well. I just defeated the Dream devourer for the first time, I used Chrono, Frog and Magus for it. You know, I wonder, since if Magus is on your team, you actually see a second Magus show up in the fight, could this be an implacation that Chrono cross takes place in an alternate dimension?

I wouldn't mind this, as i'm certain that the writers had no diea what they were doing when they put together CC's story. Turning it from a fun time travel adventure into a screed about environmentalism, and trying to make the first game retroactively darker and edgier. I didn't mind that much when I first played it, but after playing the DS remake, it just upsets me. That game could have been great, but the lack of original personnel just did it in for me.

The thing is, technically chrono trigger ends in a different dimension than it begins, based on the ideas put forward by CC. If you think about it, the second you and your friends started fucking with the past and future, you've changed the course of events and are thus in an alternate timeline. It's entirely possibly that crono's mother at the very beginning of the game never got to see him again.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited July 2009

The thing is, technically chrono trigger ends in a different dimension than it begins, based on the ideas put forward by CC. If you think about it, the second you and your friends started fucking with the past and future, you've changed the course of events and are thus in an alternate timeline. It's entirely possibly that crono's mother at the very beginning of the game never got to see him again.

Heh, yeah, the story gets a little complex after a bit, but that's cool cause I like that. If you ever get bored and want to read on some crazy theory on the Chrono series, go the the articles page at Chrono Compendium website. They right all kinds of theories about the games time a universe traveling themes and their Lavos section was a good way to burn a few hours.

I think I read somewhere that those articles where written by some collage stundents who were studying quantum and space-time physics or something, but there is no way to know if that's true or not. Still, a good way to burn a few hours if you are all into the CT series like I am.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The story actually makes sense. You just gotta think about it for a while.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have a question about the shirt Zephyr. Is the pattern a sewn one? Or is it the print style that will slowly wear off and flake away after a year and a half?

Zerokku on
    edited August 2009
    It looks like it is sewn in. I was sadly unable to get any pictures, but regardless it is an awesome shirt. Doesn't look like it'll flake off anytime soon.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've just finished Chrono Trigger for the first time (ds) with the standard ending.
    I've been looking on how to get other endings for a bit, and wouldn't all those endings that have you kill lavos early in the game require either new game+ or tons of grinding?

Mr. Eyeball on
    vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've just finished Chrono Trigger for the first time (ds) with the standard ending.
    I've been looking on how to get other endings for a bit, and wouldn't all those endings that have you kill lavos early in the game require either new game+ or tons of grinding?

New Game+ and possibly minor grinding.
    You can fight Lavos by going on the right pod of the Telepod. You'll see a little sparkle. It's a special gate that takes you right to Lavos' mouth. Basically, for most of the endings, you just have to access that and beat Lavos at different times of the game.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are there any explanations as to why
    Marle starts to disappear in the beginning because they've interfered, and yet this same sort of effect never seems to exhibit itself later in the series. Everything else seems to create a sort of split dimension or something like that.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are there any explanations as to why
    Marle starts to disappear in the beginning because they've interfered, and yet this same sort of effect never seems to exhibit itself later in the series. Everything else seems to create a sort of split dimension or something like that.

Simple answer:
    They brought it up for dramatic effect, then completely forgot about it for the rest of the plot. Just lazy writing.

Logical answer:
    For the rest of the game, nobody ever puts themself into a situation that would erase their past. Well... other than taking Ayla out of the timelime when the ending says she's Marle's decendant. Probably a slip up by the writers on that part, but other than that, I really don't remember anything that happens that would have that effect.

Super duper complicated answer:
    According to that chrono comendium site, it has something to do with time traveler immunity and time clones and how when you leave, a duplicate you is there. Or something like that. I personally think it's WAY too complicated and over-thought for its own good, especially when there's a much simpler explanation for it. But whatever floats your boat.

So, take your pick. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited August 2009
    The Time Traveler theory on the Compendium actually makes a lot of sense, and I like it.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited August 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

New Game+ and possibly minor grinding.
    You can fight Lavos by going on the right pod of the Telepod. You'll see a little sparkle. It's a special gate that takes you right to Lavos' mouth. Basically, for most of the endings, you just have to access that and beat Lavos at different times of the game.

Ok, thanks.
    Also, what's up with the ending fmv where Lucca finds a baby in the woods wearing Marle's pendant?

Mr. Eyeball on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Play Chrono Cross and you will understand. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    RBach wrote: »

I don't know, the general consensus seems to be that CC is a good game on its own but doesn't have enough in common with CT to be called a worthy sequel to it, right?
    I'm really enjoying CT, but most jrpgs just really don't interest me. Games like, say, the final fantasy series (or the ones starting from VII, atleast) look like something I really wouldn't want to play, and Chrono Cross seems exactly like that.

I can has long sentences

Mr. Eyeball on
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I don't know, the general consensus seems to be that CC is a good game on its own but doesn't have enough in common with CT to be called a worthy sequel to it, right?
    I'm really enjoying CT, but most jrpgs just really don't interest me. Games like, say, the final fantasy series (or the ones starting from VII, atleast) look like something I really wouldn't want to play, and Chrono Cross seems exactly like that.

I can has long sentences

Yeah, the only real nod to CC is long strings of "Oh, they just made everything worse. Ha Ha."

Spoiler in case you never want to play CC:
    It's the character Kid, who is actually Schala. Or a clone or something. The rest of her is with the Time Devourer. God I hate that game.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
    edited August 2009
    Erios wrote: »

I can has long sentences

Yeah, the only real nod to CC is long strings of "Oh, they just made everything worse. Ha Ha."

Spoiler in case you never want to play CC:
    It's the character Kid, who is actually Schala. Or a clone or something. The rest of her is with the Time Devourer. God I hate that game.

That does sound overly complicated, but I guess it makes more sense if you play the game.
    Meh, I'm just going to ignore CC then, it looks that if I'd try that, I could aswell try FF7.
    And if I'd try FF7, I could aswell try finding out how getting raped in the butt feels like.
    Don't rage on me, I know FF7 is probably a fantastic game if you're into that kind of thing, I'm just not.

Mr. Eyeball on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Chrono Cross was interesting but the overarching story was way too unnecessarily complicated.

Disappointing, when you consider how tight and focused the original CT was.

Duffel on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah CC gets a bad rap just because its plot is such a clusterfuck. It was a pretty fun game though. And at least the soundtrack is a worthy sequel to CT's.

Zek on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't forget the ginormous amount of characters. We're talking an sRPG level cast.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Don't forget the ginormous amount of characters. We're talking an sRPG level cast.

Sans the level of personality most sRPG characters usually get. And that's saying something.

The Fourth Estate on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm still of the opinion that CC would have been a better game if the cast was your average RPG size of about 6 or 7.

Dragkonias on
    edited August 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm still of the opinion that CC would have been a better game if the cast was your average RPG size of about 6 or 7.
    Or if, instead of an accent generator, they had someone write different lines for each character where appropriate. And no, there weren't too many characters for it, Suikoden does the same thing and they also have lots and lots of characters.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    I think everyone is of this opinion. I mean, seriously, did anyone think that characters like Funguy or Turnip or Skelly or Draggy or Poshul added anything to the plot? Did they just feel the need to let Serge take every named NPC in the game into battle with him?

The whole body swap thing through the middle third of the game was kind of a pain in the ass too. Just when you get a good team figured out that you've got a decent strategy built around they pull the rug out from under you. Why this was seen as an improvement on the standard formula is a mystery to me, but they did it anyway.

Duffel on
    edited August 2009
    The only reason the bodyswap worked was because Harle was a decent character.

Waaaaaay better than Kid, that's for sure.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I think everyone is of this opinion. I mean, seriously, did anyone think that characters like Funguy or Turnip or Skelly or Draggy or Poshul added anything to the plot? Did they just feel the need to let Serge take every named NPC in the game into battle with him?

The whole body swap thing through the middle third of the game was kind of a pain in the ass too. Just when you get a good team figured out that you've got a decent strategy built around they pull the rug out from under you. Why this was seen as an improvement on the standard formula is a mystery to me, but they did it anyway.

The body-swap twist actually caused me to quit playing CC. I know i'm not the only one who got fed up with it around then, too.

The plot was a major let-down after Chrono Trigger, and the gameplay seemed kind of convoluted to me. Getting forced to play as a
    walking panther/lynx/whatever
    while seperating me from the party I had worked my ass off to build up, was the last straw.

Then again. I'm one of the ones who would have been much happier with the game if they hadn't of (Big spoilers if you've never played CC.)
    killed most of the main characters from CT off prior to it starting.

That plot-twist was such utter bullshit when you first reached it. Thematically, and within the context of the gameplay, it makes no sense whatsoever as to how it could happen. Even with the idiotic explanation.

In fact, the idiotic explanation as to how it happens makes it even worse, since the reason in question was pretty weak compared to some of the stuff you face in the endgame of CT.

Archonex on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dude, the body swap arc was awesome. It doesn't help that I hate Serge; I thought the guy you got swapped into was more badass by far.
    One of your special moves attacks the enemy with a thousand cats. Come on. It's awesome.

I wouldn't mind the whole "dozens of characters" thing if their Element distributions had been more unique. Most of them just had the same Element capabilities and their two unique specials, which were almost always damage according to the character's element. Whoopety-doo.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The thing that sucked the most about that whole portion of the game is that the black element fucks you over on some of the hardest bosses in the game.

Zek on
    edited August 2009
    Kupi wrote: »
    Dude, the body swap arc was awesome. It doesn't help that I hate Serge; I thought the guy you got swapped into was more badass by far.
    One of your special moves attacks the enemy with a thousand cats. Come on. It's awesome.

I wouldn't mind the whole "dozens of characters" thing if their Element distributions had been more unique. Most of them just had the same Element capabilities and their two unique specials, which were almost always damage according to the character's element. Whoopety-doo.

You enjoyed spending half of the game
    as a mute six-foot bobcat in a gothic psuedo-military uniform? Mute protagonists are already difficult to believe but then they go and make you into a damned animal.

I agree that the Element system wasn't handled particularly well. While the Xenogears-esque combat was OK I didn't really see any advantage of the element system over the old, more rigid system; it made the characters even more interchangeable than they already were. I chalk it up to Square's PSX-era experimentation - they were always trying something new back in those days, and some of it (like the Elements) just wasn't that good. Not bad enough to matter, but not worth revisiting either.

Duffel on
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I loved the twists personally.
    Think being a boss is so easy? Boom! Now you're fighting three heros with pretty much infinate items, more techniques, and btw you're totally scripted to lose!

Here's robo! And Johnny! But your characters have no idea who they are, so when they die no one cares!

I was perfectly cool playing another game, with different story and characters set in the Chrono universe. I thought Dario/Karsh/Glenn had a good little storyline, as did Lynx/Harle, and others. No where near as involved as the main characters from Trigger, but not bad.

NeoToma on
    edited August 2009
    I fucking loved every nuance and nod to CT in CC (of which there were many), and especially the whole idea that its a clusterfuck of timelines that the CT team created. If you haven't played CC, do so. It's a fucking awesome game, and I love it. It is nothing like Final Fantasy. It is also, outside of FFIX, the prettiest game on the PSX aurally and visually.

Oh and whoever hates on Lynx can go fuck themselves. Do you hate animals or something? Whatever, dude. He's one of the coolest looking main characters I have ever played as.

Also,
    Most of the cast in CT doesn't actually die off... I don't know why people misunderstand this so much. Outside of Crono and Marle, whose kingdom was inevitably going to be ransacked by Porre, which was militarizing quickly even in CT, and Robo, the rest of the cast was left very much alive. Lucca dies because she safeguards Kid, which was also inevitable. I actually enjoyed the fact that it included such a great plot twist.

Zephyr_Fate on