As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

School is fucking gay

1575859606163»

• DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd be inclined to disagree. Getting a degree from a real CS school will help, but CS is much more about networking and getting good summer internships. I mean, a larger CS dept will be able to help you get better internships and get you better connected upon graduation, but in my (admittedly limited) experience, CS companies care less about where you got your degree than what work you've done.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not only is every career path about networking and getting good summer internships, but large research universities or tech schools (like MIT, where my pops went) often have far, far more resources at their disposal to obtain internships for their students than small liberal arts schools, especially for stuff like CS.

Charles Kinbote on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've had two kickass CS summer internships, neither of which were obtained through departmental connections, and both of which were better (more interesting work, higher pay, more networking opportunities) than the internships most of my friends at MIT, etc have had. This is all anecdotal, of course, but as someone who cares about a liberal arts education I have found that going to a liberal arts school and working to fill in the blanks that a more tech-centric school would provide is a lot easier than doing the opposite would be.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My dad, through MIT, got jobs
    (A) helping to invent/build the submarine that found the Titanic
    (B) creating underwater communication interception devices to spy on the Russians (even though he wasn't told what they would be used for when he was making them)

As far as a year-to-year basis for internships and connections goes, your mileage is obviously gonna vary.

Charles Kinbote on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I was going to make a comment on hippies but then I realized that that's not who goes to Ap State
    They'd all die out in the winter. No meat to keep them warm.

Then explain the entire population of Brevard and most of Asheville to me
    Bear skins coats.

SirToasty on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    School is fucking gay

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aren't you in high school? You just need to learn what you need to show up for and put effort into and ignore the rest. Unless your parents get upset with you scraping through and teachers getting angry at them.

L|ama on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tossrock wrote: »
    how much money, tossrock

I am considering studying cs when I go to college, and I would like to know

That's kind of a personal question!

If you really want to know you can search my post history

...from last year when I was doing the same thing

Man... shit like this pisses me off.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I miss school.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Callius wrote: »
    how much money, tossrock

What, people making too much money, or people asking about people's income, or people getting offended about people asking about their income?

L|ama on
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Callius wrote: »
    how much money, tossrock

the money issues being personal thing?

I had no idea this was personal until I asked my friend how much she paid to live in a sorority house and got all offended

if it is the "go look for it thing" then yeah, what a weenie

natek on
    edited August 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    What, people making too much money, or people asking about people's income, or people getting offended about people asking about their income?
    The whole "I make this much... but oh-ho ho! I won't tell!" stuff.

It's just ridiculous, especially in a discussion about the ups and downs of certain life choices.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Really? All I did was say I make more money than I think my time is worth due to my major choice, which was relevant to the discussion; I didn't expect anyone to want to know the specific dollar amounts, and posting it would make me feel like a pissant, given the economic situation and the aforementioned fact that I don't feel like my time is really worth that much.

Still, if he really wants to know, I gave him an avenue to find out without having to parade my absurd pay in front of everyone like a dick.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited August 2009
    I suppose... the whole secrecy of personal economics has ALWAYS confused me.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
This discussion has been closed.