As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fallout Thread: As Paradise falls, so falls Paradise Falls.

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Uh-oh... :(
    So I finished off the main quest and everything, but something makes me think that one of my mods screwed the transition from vanilla to BS: I got the end movies and all, but then I popped back into the purifier with about ten seconds of blackout, "Take it back!" ended, but no indicator of anything else. Am I boned?

Sorenson on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »
    So I'm having serious issues with Fallout 3. Occasionally when going into vats, there's a few seconds delay where the screen will freeze before zooming in on the target. But other times, the game will completely freeze my computer. As in the computer completely stops, the last nanosecond of sound keeps repeating non-stop, control alt delete does diddly squat, and the only way to solve it is to hard reboot my computer.

I'm using an nvidia gtx 260 with the latest drivers if that helps. It's getting pretty annoying as it has happened three times today alone. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Never mind, turning off anti-aliasing seemed to have helped

That honestly sounds like your video card or some other component is overheating. That is usually the cause of hard crashes like that. Windows has progressed to the point that most software errors don't bring down the system.

Dang, I know that my video card is constantly blowing out hot air (especially during gpu intensive parts) and my processor is holding steady at about 60 degrees Farenheit when the box said it should be at 30 degrees.

I have a good feeling it's my video card though.

Also, at RTS... Holy crap. At this point if you have Fallout 3, why would you want any other game?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That beauty mod throws me off a bit, in that his changes to Fantasia were to turn her from black to white. o_O

Also, the combat armor mod improves them by changing the Ranger armor from green to black, and the Rivet armor...from black to green. Ok.

That one mostly just bugs me because Ranger armor is my favorite as-is.

Scooter on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    So I finished off the main quest and everything, but something makes me think that one of my mods screwed the transition from vanilla to BS: I got the end movies and all, but then I popped back into the purifier with about ten seconds of blackout, "Take it back!" ended, but no indicator of anything else. Am I boned?

Might be. If you're on PC, I'd guess you were using a mod that eliminated the ending, and that got in the way of BS. You're supposed to see the ending as usual, then wake up in the Citadel.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I just remembered FOOK threw one in and was about to edit that out. :oops:

Sorenson on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    That beauty mod throws me off a bit, in that his changes to Fantasia were to turn her from black to white. o_O

Also, the combat armor mod improves them by changing the Ranger armor from green to black, and the Rivet armor...from black to green. Ok.

I've noticed that most "beauty" mods in TES and, now, Fallout consist mainly of giving the female characters nose jobs.

I never really understood the concept anyway, most Wastelanders should be looking pretty rough. Hell, Silver looks way too good to be a junkie ex-prostitute in the vanilla game (and for once her voice actress actually fits the role pretty well; sounds like she smokes waaay too much), but modded she looks like she just stepped out of a fashion magazine. I mean come on.

Duffel on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Question about the Strictly Business quest:
    I'm playing a good guy and I know this quest will destroy my karma. Will I miss out on anything important if I just slaughter everyone in Paradise Falls?

elevature on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

I've noticed that most "beauty" mods in TES and, now, Fallout consist mainly of giving the female characters nose jobs.

I never really understood the concept anyway, most Wastelanders should be looking pretty rough. Hell, Silver looks way too good to be a junkie ex-prostitute in the vanilla game (and for once her voice actress actually fits the role pretty well; sounds like she smokes waaay too much), but modded she looks like she just stepped out of a fashion magazine. I mean come on.

the female appearances are sort of limited in the vanilla game, though. Almost all the women look alike, barring skin tone and hairstyle.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    I'm playing a good guy and I know this quest will destroy my karma. Will I miss out on anything important if I just slaughter everyone in Paradise Falls?

Nope, not really. It's a lot of fun, too.

Professor Phobos on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nope.
    Pay Grouse the Bribe is about all you can do (unless you just want to shoot your way in). You can't ever get those caps back, unfortunately, but you'll make a shitload more selling off the entire paradise falls armory when you're done cleaning up, so don't worry about it.

By the way, when you kill Grouse, make it painful. I hate that fucker.

Duffel on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Still have the bug that's stopping me from doing anything in Broken Steel:
    After I call the orbital strike on the mobile base, I go outside and the missiles hit right away. The vertibird lands, I shoot the breeze with Lyons, I get in and the flying cutscene plays out. However, the landing is bugged and after the loadscreen I'm stuck inside the vertibird with no exits.

BlueDestiny on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Nope.
    Pay Grouse the Bribe is about all you can do (unless you just want to shoot your way in). You can't ever get those caps back, unfortunately, but you'll make a shitload more selling off the entire paradise falls armory when you're done cleaning up, so don't worry about it.

By the way, when you kill Grouse, make it painful. I hate that fucker.

The only thing you'll miss is not being able to do it again. I recommend keeping a save just beforehand.

l337CrappyJack on
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Any mods that across the board reduce the speed at which weapons degrade? (not just in VATS)

Metallikat on
  • Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »

If you used a custom race character via a mod then the game will not transition you into broken steel as it relies on scripts that use only the vanilla races.

This: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6240

will fix that problem.

Funguy McAids on
    edited August 2009
    Wow. The vertibird has such a tight hold on my character not even console-porting got me out.

BlueDestiny on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man the real time settlers mod looks awesome.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, the Project Beauty mod is not to make everyone pretty. It's to make everyone look like they are at least human. The pic I used was one that had the most before and after shots. I guess the fact that they are all woman might throw some people off. Also, Fantasia is still black in my game so. . . .

Here is another pick of some Regulators that were touched up.
    6341-2-1245126670.JPG
    They are still as dirty and gritty as ever.

And another one, though not a Regulator.
    6341-5-1248658715.JPG

As for the Combat Armor Retexture mod, yeah I like the original Ranger one myself. Though the mod is just, well, textures so I am pretty sure you can delete the new Ranger one before you add them in.

Yes the Real Time Settler mod is pretty awesome, but man those Raider attacks are just to intense. They can certainly be toned down a bit, or maybe have them escalate based on the age of your town. The mod is still being worked on so who knows.

edit- Currently my town is building an Academy, I hope to start training eggheads soon.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited August 2009
    FINALLY! Using foul magicks obscure and arcane I finished the dang BS quest with hopefully no repercussions later. I think it's time to retire from wasteland adventuring and start a town.

BlueDestiny on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ya know what would go great with the Real Time Settler mod?

Oregon Trail!

Instead of dying of disentary, little Timmy would turn into a ghoul and you'll have to put him down. Your wagon could get attacked by Raiders on motorcycles like something out of Mad Max. The only thing that would be missing would be multiplayer.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wish Laser Gatlings were still considered Energy Weapons. Or were they always Big Guns? Either way, they should be EW.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I went to Evergreen Mills today, kinda wish the raiders didn't go apeshit if you go into their secret clubhouse. I mean they had prostitutes and booze why'd they think I'd kill them? At least the trader isn't crazy.

Also the wasteland moods mod is by far the best game to make things atmospheric. I absolutely love the duststorms and I actually kind of wish duststorms would gradually deplete your health so you either have to wear heavy clothing/armor or find shelter.

Might also give that Real Time Settlers mod a shot, but I'm having too much fun giving out wasteland justice with his sweet fedora, trenchcoat and magnum

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
    edited August 2009
    The Duststorm mood is rather excellent. Fighting Super Mutants and seeing their silhouette through the dust is terrific. I wonder if you could make a duststorm mod wherein your health depleted or maybe you would become increasingly irradiated. I know the rain mod has radioactive rain which will kill you if you don't find shelter. So maybe it wouldn't be impossible.

In RTS I am getting close to training my own soldiers. One more day left on the Academy which will allow me to acquire Science Points. Then I will build a barracks and have my craftsmen start making weapons and armor.

I do find it impossible to build a wall though. Each piece costs to much SM and any pieces I do put up get destroyed long before I have anything resembling a proper wall.

edit- I find Evergreen Mills dissapointing though. It feels like it was meant to be more, but the Devs just ran out of time.

edit 2- Stumbled across this mod: Fallouts. Have yet to actually try it myself, but it seems to add a STALKER style blowout to Fallout only this one also makes you a magnet for Ghouls and Centaurs until you seek cover.

Axen on
    edited August 2009
    If you're worried about your karma you only have to do one to actually get in, the others just give you the pay. You can just bag one and then give a few waters to those beggers to balance out, no problem.

Me, I just ignore the karmic repricussions since I only bag raiders and Talons and other associated assholes of the wastes.

EDIT: Since mod reccomendation seems to be the in thing right now, is anyone else using those Fellout mods? The adjustment to saturation and shit's rather nice - it adds just enough of a tinge of color and clarity to stuff, but doesn't do anything retarded like make all the grass and shit a healthy green.

Sorenson on
  • spidahspidah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey I had a general question about this game...

I remember playing Fallout 2 years ago and my guy was a Retard Strongman. When he talked to people they treated him a such...a caveman.

Does this factor still hold up under Fallout 3? That would be awesome. Not that I like people treating me like The Hulk or something...

I've been playing the game pretty much as Wasteland Jesus but thought it'd be fun to change paces and be Wasteland Sloth, meandering around the wasteland, leaving a morally ambiguous path of destruction in my wake.

spidah on
  • alaz502alaz502 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I went to Evergreen Mills today, kinda wish the raiders didn't go apeshit if you go into their secret clubhouse. I mean they had prostitutes and booze why'd they think I'd kill them? At least the trader isn't crazy.

Also the wasteland moods mod is by far the best game to make things atmospheric. I absolutely love the duststorms and I actually kind of wish duststorms would gradually deplete your health so you either have to wear heavy clothing/armor or find shelter.

Might also give that Real Time Settlers mod a shot, but I'm having too much fun giving out wasteland justice with his sweet fedora, trenchcoat and magnum

You would absolutely love the "Disguises" mod. Just throw on any Raider uniform and waltz right in there and chill with them. :)

alaz502 on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the best part about evergreen mills was using a missile launcher to open the cage from afar

I also thought that I would be hot for another playthrough once I finished broken steel, but my enthusiasm just isn't there.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2009
    Anyone have a link to a mod that changes the color of a scope's crosshairs? I am using the Moods mod and sometimes it can get down right black, which makes trying to line up shots with a black crosshair rather difficult.

Axen on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    spidah wrote: »
    hey I had a general question about this game...

I remember playing Fallout 2 years ago and my guy was a Retard Strongman. When he talked to people they treated him a such...a caveman.

Does this factor still hold up under Fallout 3? That would be awesome. Not that I like people treating me like The Hulk or something...

I've been playing the game pretty much as Wasteland Jesus but thought it'd be fun to change paces and be Wasteland Sloth, meandering around the wasteland, leaving a morally ambiguous path of destruction in my wake.

No, you can't play as a moron in 3 as far as I know.

Xeddicus on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, just
    killing every last slaver
    is both fun and healthy.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Isn't Zeta supposed to be out by now?

Deaderinred on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fallout wiki says tomorrow.

freakish light on
    edited August 2009
    But tomorrow isn't Wednesday i so i think the wiki is lying.

Deaderinred on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Look, I just took this off the official Fallout site:
    07.14.09 - Mothership Zeta Screens and Info Unveiled
    We’ve released the first screenshots for our upcoming DLC, Mothership Zeta, as well as info on what you can expect from our 5th and final DLC for Fallout 3. Mothership Zeta will be released August 3rd on Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live for 800 points, and will be released at a later date for PlayStation 3.

Did they push it back and then not update it? cause I'm like getting confused at this point.

freakish light on
    edited August 2009
    DLC and shit always comes out on Wednesdays.

Deaderinred on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't see what the issue is.

It's coming out tomorrow.

What's this with Wednesday?

BlackDove on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The new trailer on IGN confirms August 3rd.

And IIRC, Point Lookout was released on a Tuesday.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I guess I just finished Point Lookout's quest line
    I elected to help Desmond and kill Calvert (man..thats wierd to type, my gf's last name is Calvert) The whole time I was running errands for this ghoul he promised to make me rich. So we've done his dirty work, I havent gotten a cap at all from him. He did give me a "reward vault" key, but I can't seem to locate said reward vault. There is a little room with a bunch of ammo and a microwve emitter in it. This can't possibly be my reward can it? Because I will lose the karma and kill that fuckin ghoul..I didn't lose a chunk of my brain for some handheld pizza maker. So, is that the reward or am I missing something?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I elected to help Desmond and kill Calvert (man..thats wierd to type, my gf's last name is Calvert) The whole time I was running errands for this ghoul he promised to make me rich. So we've done his dirty work, I havent gotten a cap at all from him. He did give me a "reward vault" key, but I can't seem to locate said reward vault. There is a little room with a bunch of ammo and a microwve emitter in it. This can't possibly be my reward can it? Because I will lose the karma and kill that fuckin ghoul..I didn't lose a chunk of my brain for some handheld pizza maker. So, is that the reward or am I missing something?
    Best on what I can find, that open door with the Pizza Gun is the "reward vault." Are you sure you lose Karma when you kill him? That dude is an asshole, surely he can't give you bad Karma.EDIT: Fallout Wiki says you can kill for no Karma change or XP

EDIT

Algertman on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    Best on what I can find, that open door with the Pizza Gun is the "reward vault." Are you sure you lose Karma when you kill him? That dude is an asshole, surely he can't give you bad Karma

Son of a...
    Desmond is so dead... Good luck making it up North to face your next rival, fucker! I think I may just beat him to death with my bare hands.

Ha!, that fucker's dead. I got 61 XP for it too

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    Best on what I can find, that open door with the Pizza Gun is the "reward vault." Are you sure you lose Karma when you kill him? That dude is an asshole, surely he can't give you bad Karma

Son of a...
    Desmond is so dead... Good luck making it up North to face your next rival, fucker! I think I may just beat him to death with my bare hands.

Ha!, that fucker's dead. I got 61 XP for it too
    Oh, GOD when I found out about the "reward vault" I murdered that asshole Desmond with extreme prejudice. YOU DAMN JERK DIE.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png