As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Super Cross Forum Project? Why not

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so many comics scosglen

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the stories are short and i like art so you can do art squidbunny

srsizzy:

for the writing part, go to the thread in graphic violence ( http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=96567 ) where many questions that anger and infuriate me (as well as some good ones) about the story, writing in general, and how everything works are answered.

as for the limits: there are very few! just go nuts with the idea. doesn't have to be serious. doesn't have to be funny. just has to be a good story that you think everyone else involved in the project will vote to have in!

yeah, it all depends on what makes you comfortable and what you think best serves the artists sensibilities and yours

sometimes if you want to be very specific you can go ahead and try it in script format

here's some scripts warren ellis did

now, you don't have to ape the formula whatsoever, but that's to give you a point of reference if you want to try it that way

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    anjin knows him some goddamn comics

Tam on
    edited August 2009
    anjin don't know nothin about nothin

that's right I'm callin you out anjin

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    for no good reason

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    shit man you ain't shit about shit

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    yeah, it all depends on what makes you comfortable and what you think best serves the artists sensibilities and yours

sometimes if you want to be very specific you can go ahead and try it in script format

here's some scripts warren ellis did

now, you don't have to ape the formula whatsoever, but that's to give you a point of reference if you want to try it that way
    Oh man, that's like having to think of storyboards while you write a screen play, except maybe more difficult.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sounds interesting.

I'll get involved if it gets started before I go back to school.

sharky t on
    edited August 2009
    not exactly! but if you're not comfortable with that format, just go with what works best

Calamity Jane on
    edited August 2009
    writing something right now

for something like this, i think it's a good idea to have a good mixture of little exposition when needed, and a lot when warranted

to elaborate, crazy old comics seem to have a fucking boatload of exposition for no apparent

look at claremont's old x-men stories for a point of reference. wolverine thinks out two sentences mid jump into the water

Calamity Jane on
    edited August 2009
    just remember these are short stories -- something claremont could never ever write

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    also people who do art: monday I am gonna actually give you something to do finally

it may or may not involve making lazy writers write already

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    yeah well too bad because I have to start studying

good luck with the rest of them though

Tam on
    edited August 2009
    tam you suuuuuck

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    this is true

well

if you give me one of the shortest ones, I may be able to do it

Tam on
    edited August 2009
    I'll give you a really short one

actually PM blankspace his is short and quick and he is going to script soon

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    okay art guys, I said I was gonna give you something to do and here it is:

draw a cover!

the only elements I absolutely need are the satellite and an everyman becoming a hero

the composition can be whatever you want

the title is Sentry Duty

I'm gonna go through them all and we can vote on the best cover when all is said and done.

as for the interior art, as soon as I start getting outlines, I will PM everyone who said they'd do art with the pitches that are in need of an artist and it will be first come - first serve on what you draw unless I really think x artist would work with y story in which case I will be a dick editor and force you two together.

once you get in contact, I'll want you artists to kind of help the writer along with the script. not write it, but just tell them NO NO I CANNOT DRAW THAT DO NOT PUT THAT IN or give them some ideas for panel structure because they ain't know nothing.

once the scripts are done, PM them to me and I'll go through them, tell you what changes to make and then you guys can get to the writing/drawing portion.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like those big projects, they get me pumped each time. Like "Oh boy I wanna be a part of this", but each time they all eventually crash or don't happen for some reason(s).

Nevertheless, if I have the time next week, I'd like to contribute with a story and art. Is there a list of pre-determined writers and artists, or can we submit something at anytime if we feel like it?

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey TLB

Should I make my logo available here for people? Or what. Or do you not want to use my logo? Either way its cool.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    The One 52 wrote: »
    I like those big projects, they get me pumped each time. Like "Oh boy I wanna be a part of this", but each time they all eventually crash or don't happen for some reason(s).

Nevertheless, if I have the time next week, I'd like to contribute with a story and art. Is there a list of pre-determined writers and artists, or can we submit something at anytime if we feel like it?

oh there are no pre-determined writers or artists

I don't expect most of the people who said they'd do something to actually produce so I am letting any and everyone do something

and plus if no one else does something I'll get my stories drawn by all the rad artists

either way I win at least

also lucas

make the logo available to the people here

it's their choice to use it or not, because at this stage nothing is set in stone, not even the logo

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    K. Here's the logo I whipped up.

PNG FORMAT ---- This version has a clear background. It appears white on the page but trust me, if you were to paste that fucker elsewhere it would be clear.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/Metafour/SentryDuty_logo1-1.png

JPG FORMAT --- Simple black background for your viewing pleasure.
    SentryDuty_logo1.jpg

NOTE TO ARTISTS:

PM me if you want to use my logo and I will email you the PSD file.

Lucascraft on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was wondering about the logo. I might try a quick mock up cover tonight cause I gots some free time anyways. I'll probably try my hand at a logo cause me no likey the gradient.

earthwormadam on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll try to put something together in the next couple of days.

Do you want a fake company/bar code/etc on the cover or just the art and logo?

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, is the satellite on Lucas's logo what the satellite looks like? I have a feeling the answer is "it'll be designed by consensus", but that's really a better answer for the writers than it is for the artists, since it's the one thing that needs a consistent look (unless it doesn't, and that's the point?) and there's more of an investment for the artists in drawing the satellite than there is for the writers describing it.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Well if you want to use my satellite I can make it available. I didn't draw it or anything. Basically what I did was took a couple different photos that I found on google and pieced the parts together and then put an ink rendering on it and then black and whited it. Its not anything too fancy.

I was basically just going for simple and iconic.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    no need for a fake company or bar code

the satellite in the logo is not what the satellite has to look like, as there are multiple ones in the actual stories. You can make it the super deluxe new hi-tech version of it or the rickety 1 week away from retirement one.

as for the stories in particular, I am gonna be a dick in making the writers describe the dang satellite for this very reason

so I guess the answer is: no, there is no general design for every satellite so long as it looks like a satellite

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Might want to mention that people ought to work at a size large enough for eventual print? Possibly a no-brainer, but it would suck if someone went to the trouble of crafting an excellent cover at too low a resolution.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited August 2009
    So what's good for resolution, like 300?

earthwormadam on
    edited August 2009
    I would say 300 would be a good resolution, yes

dang you squidbunny and your thinking about real things I should be thinking about

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I will hopefully have something for someone to draw by the end (2359 EST) of Wednesday.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2009
    I want to see some cover mock-ups! And more logo designs!

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    And these people need scripts! Patience!

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2009
    once you get me your script, I'll go through it and make sure everything is up to snuff then we can get you an artist and things will be peachy

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to do a quick cover mock-up I think after I buy some cereal and milk for eating and drinking, respectively.

Spectre-x on
    edited August 2009
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I'm going to do a quick cover mock-up I think after I buy some cereal and milk for eating and drinking, respectively.

I fully expect it to be the king of all covers. I'm still working on mine mind you, but maybe it could be your covers court jester or something.

earthwormadam on
    edited August 2009
    adam I think you are missing out on the lucrative VARIANT COVERS market

(someone do a zombie variant. I dare you)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    That sounds fun, but I'm going to stick with mine, since I'm thinking there wont be too many covers featuring lazer shooting hobos.

earthwormadam on
    edited August 2009
    oh no lazer shooting hobos is fine and dandy

fine and dandy

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    once you get me your script, I'll go through it and make sure everything is up to snuff then we can get you an artist and things will be peachy

today was a crazy laundry day, with almost no actual usable time, but tomorrow before work (I work second shift, but get up at 9 or 10) is clear aside from a trip to the barbershop. I hope to finish my script tomorrow. I may work on it some tonight, if I don't get boned into working late.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2009
    I'm just curious. For doing speech bubbles, are there tools or plug-ins or something available in Photoshop for doing this? Also, TLB do you have a set letterer, or is it up to each creative team to do their own lettering?

Lucascraft on